2016 LG OLED 65G6P and 65E6P Owners Thread - Page 555 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 87596Likes

post #16621 of 22057 Old 02-26-2017, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6680 Post(s)
Liked: 6677
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougDingle View Post
Seriously? $1,600 for a soundbar (mounting bracket extra), plus $500 for the sub, and $150 to make the sub wireless (when available)?
Looks like you like paying retail pricing.......most do not....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16622 of 22057 Old 02-26-2017, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFern View Post
Are owners of the E6 happy with the included sound bar? Does it adequately meet your needs for moving watching? Or do you find yourself wishing you would of bought a 3rd party sound bar?
LG could have forgotten to install the speakers during assembly and I wouldn't know it. I've been using a dedicated surround system for a long time so I've never actually heard the speakers on it.
dkwong likes this.
post #16623 of 22057 Old 02-26-2017, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4298 Post(s)
Liked: 3723
Having eclipsed 2500 hours on a G6, the soundbar is used a lot, but it's no match for even a 5.1 system with Definitive Tech center and bookshelf fronts, Elemental Audio (RIP) rears, and Epik (RIP) subwoofer. That said, there are many times the Hifi is overkill and thus I spare it with the soundbar, which is a more powerful version of that found on the E6.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16624 of 22057 Old 02-26-2017, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
What settings are you using? Let's start there. Are you using cable, sattelite or over the air antenna for your basic content?

Regarding the black crush you see on your old plasma: that's a brightness setting problem. The VT50 series had great blacks so if you aren't seeing detail then it has to be that your brightness setting is too low. Maybe it's not that simple and something else is going on but that's the place I'd start.

Bounce back with your OLED TV setting and let's see if we can help you get it dialed in better. They do require tweaking to get the most out of them.
Thanks for offering to help. I have cable TV, coming in through my TiVo Roamio. I started my settings journey with a simple google search and used the top one I found. It was this

Basically, I am using the ISF Expert (Bright Room) mode with the following:
OLED Light: 50
Contrast: 80
Brightness: 52
H and V Sharpness: 0
Color: 50
Tint: 0

Expert Controls: All off except the following
Color Gamut: Normal
Gamma: 2.2
White Balance: Defaults besides
Red: 1
Blue: 5

Picture Options: All off besides
Black Level: Low
Real Cinema: On

I watched Legion today and noticed quite a bit of "banding" on some of the walls. It's something that can be seen on the Amazon app startup logo too. That normal? Perhaps TVs still aren't really good enough to properly show gradients like that smoothly yet...

Here is a pic of some of the gradient banding (best way I can think to describe it). It's not great since it's a cell pic of my TV, but you can see the issue on the walls.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170226_192412.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	1994985  

-RS

Last edited by RS1990; 02-26-2017 at 04:34 PM.
post #16625 of 22057 Old 02-26-2017, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknomedic View Post
Unfortunately that's not the case... The TV is only passing stereo to the receiver. From what I've read the TVs are capable of sending more, but LG disabled it. Sounds like its been an issue with previous LG models and only if you're lucky with a service menu setting can it be remedied. It may only affect US owner's though since it might have to do with licensing.

I'd love to be wrong though...but on my testing... Optical and ARC are both only passing 2.0 stereo from other devices connected to the TV.

"Other devices connected to the TV" is not the same thing as what it can put out from its internal tuner and built-in Smart Apps. Most TVs do not do well with sending audio back out from devices connected to their input, and it's lucky to just get stereo.

The 5.1 over ARC and optical is from the internal off-air tuner and internal Smart Apps only.
post #16626 of 22057 Old 02-26-2017, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjminer72 View Post
the screen was wobbly because the stand was not pushed on all the way.
The screen will be wobbly no matter how intensely and perfectly you screw in the base.

Considering the cost of the E6, it's a pathetically poor design.

I braced the set using the VESA mounting holes and a very robust clamping desktop mount, and the glass is still wobbly. But at least I know it's not going over in the next earthquake. Probably.
post #16627 of 22057 Old 02-26-2017, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Is anyone passing 5.1 from other devices connected directly to the E6 to their AVR???
It's doubtful because it's not a supported feature on any set as far as I know.

5.1 from a TV over ARC and optical is for the internal off-air tuner and internal apps only.

If you need 5.1 from other peripherals connected directly to the TV, send them HDMI through your AVR instead of directly connecting them to the LG, or use their optical output to the AVR.

You will never get 5.1 from, say, a BluRay player connected directly to the LG over ARC or optical out of the LG.
post #16628 of 22057 Old 02-26-2017, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Looks like you like paying retail pricing.......most do not....
No, I just followed your link and was too lazy to see what the discounters were selling it for.

Actually, I was so shocked at the price, my hands froze on the mouse.
post #16629 of 22057 Old 02-26-2017, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I feel like 5.1 pass-through over ARC or Optical is turning into an argument... Here are some links to better explain why I'm asking what I'm asking.

Also... Please don't suggest "just hookup the hdmi through the receiver"... I maybe... just maybe have other needs that negate that option.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...3841?_k=1m24ho

http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/input...io-passthrough
post #16630 of 22057 Old 02-26-2017, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
It's doubtful because it's not a supported feature on any set as far as I know.

5.1 from a TV over ARC and optical is for the internal off-air tuner and internal apps only.

If you need 5.1 from other peripherals connected directly to the TV, send them HDMI through your AVR instead of directly connecting them to the LG, or use their optical output to the AVR.

You will never get 5.1 from, say, a BluRay player connected directly to the LG over ARC or optical out of the LG.
Didn't get it on my 2014 Sony either. Someone in that forum explained that HDCP built into newer TV's prohibit high-def audio from being passed from one system to another, as that middle system can't validate the end system hasn't been modified to prevent copying. So a Blu-Ray, Roku or cable box can pass 5.1 to the TV's speakers, but the TV can't then pass it along to your AVR or soundbar. You either need to hook everything up via your AVR, or run dual HDMI to your TV and AVR. So blame it on Hollywood . Here's more info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-b...ent_Protection

HT: OLED65E6P (ChadB cal'd), STR-DN1080, UBP-X800, 7 Take Classics, Dual SB2000's
LR: 47LW5600
post #16631 of 22057 Old 02-26-2017, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked: 1430
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS1990 View Post
Thanks for offering to help. I have cable TV, coming in through my TiVo Roamio. I started my settings journey with a simple google search and used the top one I found. It was this YouTube video.

Basically, I am using the ISF Expert (Bright Room) mode with the following:
OLED Light: 50
Contrast: 80
Brightness: 52
H and V Sharpness: 0
Color: 50
Tint: 0

Expert Controls: All off except the following
Color Gamut: Normal
Gamma: 2.2
White Balance: Defaults besides
Red: 1
Blue: 5

Picture Options: All off besides
Black Level: Low
Real Cinema: On

I watched Legion today and noticed quite a bit of "banding" on some of the walls. It's something that can be seen on the Amazon app startup logo too. That normal? Perhaps TVs still aren't really good enough to properly show gradients like that smoothly yet...

Here is a pic of some of the gradient banding (best way I can think to describe it). It's not great since it's a cell pic of my TV, but you can see the issue on the walls.
Your settings arent too bad looking. Probably nothing there out of whack. Hmmm. I have seen that gradient issue with some streaming content but its fairly infrequent. I never see such things with blu-ray, UHD, or premium feeds though. Streaming does still use compression and thats what could(not gauranteed) be causing that contouring you see. Does that manifest itself with blu-ray/UHD or premium sources? Just curious.
mttpalmer likes this.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
LG UBK-90, Samsung UBD-8500K
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #16632 of 22057 Old 02-26-2017, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I feel like 5.1 pass-through over ARC or Optical is turning into an argument...
Not at all. If you want to go into the service menu and see if you can enable it and make it work, please come back and report on how it went. Others may be interested in doing it as well.
post #16633 of 22057 Old 02-26-2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
Your settings arent too bad looking. Probably nothing there out of whack. Hmmm. I have seen that gradient issue with some streaming content but its fairly infrequent. I never see such things with blu-ray, UHD, or premium feeds though. Streaming does still use compression and thats what could(not gauranteed) be causing that contouring you see. Does that manifest itself with blu-ray/UHD or premium sources? Just curious.
I have to check some BR...so far I have mostly watched cable shows (that is where I saw the banding in the pic) and college bball. WatchESPN streaming was terrible. I will check out my SW BR later.

-RS
post #16634 of 22057 Old 02-26-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I feel like 5.1 pass-through over ARC or Optical is turning into an argument...
Not at all. If you want to go into the service menu and see if you can enable it and make it work, please come back and report on how it went. Others may be interested in doing it as well.
That's the problem. I've looked through the service menu and attempted to match up what people reported in the 2014 and 2015 sets and didn't see an option that fully matched. EDID (I think) was there, but none of the options I tried seemed to do anything so was hoping someone smarter knew how to enable it... If it's even possible on the E6.

I did mention more details in my original request for help a few pages back.
post #16635 of 22057 Old 02-26-2017, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Thinking about buying 65" E6 oled from bestbuy. Will the tv qualify for elite plus right away, or is the status after anything bought after this?

And if the 45 day return policy applies then, will they price match if their own prices go down from $3999 within this 45 day return policy?

thanks
post #16636 of 22057 Old 02-26-2017, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstosity12 View Post
Thinking about buying 65" E6 oled from bestbuy. Will the tv qualify for elite plus right away, or is the status after anything bought after this?

And if the 45 day return policy applies then, will they price match if their own prices go down from $3999 within this 45 day return policy?

thanks
When I first got Elite Plus, it was after I made the purchase. I don't believe I got the extra points for that purchase. That was two years ago though.

HT: OLED65E6P (ChadB cal'd), STR-DN1080, UBP-X800, 7 Take Classics, Dual SB2000's
LR: 47LW5600
post #16637 of 22057 Old 02-26-2017, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

That depends on the store, but the official word is Elite Plus status only applies to purchases made in the future. My store went with the official policy.
post #16638 of 22057 Old 02-26-2017, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 5
So after going through the hassle of dragging my first E6P back for dead pixels. I get the new one yesterday and believed it to be free of pixel issues. Of course it had a scratch and messed up stand screws. Now tonight, I see a dead pixel again. So I have the same pixel problem and some added issues I didn't have with the first one. Not sure what to do now. I feel ill.
post #16639 of 22057 Old 02-26-2017, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjminer72 View Post
So after going through the hassle of dragging my first E6P back for dead pixels. I get the new one yesterday and believed it to be free of pixel issues. Of course it had a scratch and messed up stand screws. Now tonight, I see a dead pixel again. So I have the same pixel problem and some added issues I didn't have with the first one. Not sure what to do now. I feel ill.
Out of 4 panels I tried for various uniformity problems, they all either had dead subpixels out of the box or developed them at least 1000 hours later. I'm talking 4 or under. Current one is the best at 1 dead red.
post #16640 of 22057 Old 02-26-2017, 10:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
I finally received and hung my new 65E6P yesterday, so only have 2 days of viewing on at this point. I'm coming from the Panasonic 55 VT50, which was a great TV. Right now I kind of have mixed feelings about the LG. It's good, don't get me wrong, but I expected to be more blown away by it given all the reviews I have read and I just am not. Most of what I have watched has been college basketball and my early view is that my plasma was much better. It was even worse on the WatchESPN app, was supposed to be 1080p, but looked pretty bad. I need to checkout some football to see how that looks, tough to find out of season though.

I did check out some 4k on Netflix (through the TV as I found out the hard way that the Amazon FireTV Stick that I just bought doesn't do 4k) and that looked really good. Even there though...fast moving is noticeably worse that my old TV.

I will have to continue to look at some of the calibration settings to see what I can do, but I expected more for $3k. I'm open to any advice.

What caused me to get the new TV in the first place was two things...the first is that I wanted a larger TV for my living room. The second was that the darkness of the plasma was starting to annoy me and I couldn't seem to tune my way out of it. What I mean is that if I was watching a relatively dark show it was so dark that I could not really see any details. A black suit coat with a black shirt under it was just too dark to tell the difference.
You should have done your homework a little more. 4K OLED is not going to be the best for sports vs. plasma, especially on low quality 720P or 1080i sources. As for your $3K, most of us paid between $5K and $8K in this thread...

Sony 75" XBR-75Z9D
Denon AVR-X4400H
(4) Klipsch RP-280FA Dolby Atmos Enabled Towers
(1) Klipsch RP-450CA Center Channel
(1) SVS 12" PC-2000 Subwoofer
post #16641 of 22057 Old 02-26-2017, 11:35 PM

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
Out of 4 panels I tried for various uniformity problems, they all either had dead subpixels out of the box or developed them at least 1000 hours later. I'm talking 4 or under. Current one is the best at 1 dead red.
Definitely my experience as well. With 8.4 million pixels on a 4K set, there are bound to be some of them that either don't work, or won't at some point in the future. A few posts scattered around this forum mentioned some dead pixel resurrection with use, but I wouldn't count on that.

LG does not have a zero dead pixel policy for 4K TVs, and I don't think any manufacturer does come to think of it. For LG OLED sets, they do have a zero 'stuck' (or hot) pixel policy, which results in a panel swap and another roll of the dice at the panel lottery.
post #16642 of 22057 Old 02-27-2017, 02:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked: 1430
Quote:
I have to check some BR...so far I have mostly watched cable shows (that is where I saw the banding in the pic) and college bball. WatchESPN streaming was terrible. I will check out my SW BR later.
Yeah, try some what I'd call premium content like BR or UHD. As I said, cable feeds and streaming can be iffy sometimes and in those cases it wouldn't be the TV causing the issue but rather the compression of the feed.
RS1990 likes this.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
LG UBK-90, Samsung UBD-8500K
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #16643 of 22057 Old 02-27-2017, 06:10 AM

Well on my E6P I have three red pixels, two green and one that's dead as a door nail. Not acceptable for the money want for these. Thinking of taking it back and getting a LG UH8500 or a Sony 940D. I'm really confused as to what I want to do. But a don't want a tv that's already failing out of the box.
post #16644 of 22057 Old 02-27-2017, 06:19 AM

Two of the red pixels are next to two of the green ones and show on white backgrounds. There is a single red and single dead by themselves. All are in the upper right quarter of the screen.
post #16645 of 22057 Old 02-27-2017, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
I'd bet that's due to compressed/poor quality content. I'm not familiar with Legion, but assuming it was via cable or streaming. I watched Captain Fantastic this weekend on Amazon Prime and saw a lot of banding and blockiness in dark backgrounds. The OLEDs show everything, good detail and bad.

The more contentious question is whether these OLEDs should be correcting for that banding and blockiness in the content. Some claim that other brands (Sony) already do that and this is evidence that LG has dropped the ball there. Personally, I'm not sure whether some of the settings on the TV would help (e.g. dynamic contrast, etc.) since I don't want them otherwise messing with the picture, and I kind of like to know when I'm getting a bad feed from Amazon, Comcast (The Walking Dead last night looked terrible), or whoever. I haven't noticed it with Netflix, but I'm not really tracking this either.

The only problem I have is that the OLED makes good content look spectacular, and that raises your expectations and exacerbates how bad poor content appears to you. I think that's a good problem to have...
fhschellenberg and RS1990 like this.

OLED55E6P (609 build)
Denon X2400H
KEF Q100 L/R/C, SVS SB12-NSD
XB1S, Roku Ultra

Last edited by mttpalmer; 02-27-2017 at 06:37 AM.
post #16646 of 22057 Old 02-27-2017, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked: 604
Quote:
That's the problem. I've looked through the service menu and attempted to match up what people reported in the 2014 and 2015 sets and didn't see an option that fully matched. EDID (I think) was there, but none of the options I tried seemed to do anything so was hoping someone smarter knew how to enable it... If it's even possible on the E6.

I get Dolby 5.1 audio via ARC on my Samsung DVR hooked up directly to the TV (HDMI 1), and I didn't have to change anything in the service menu.
fhschellenberg likes this.

post #16647 of 22057 Old 02-27-2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2JDMBFAN View Post
You should have done your homework a little more. 4K OLED is not going to be the best for sports vs. plasma, especially on low quality 720P or 1080i sources. As for your $3K, most of us paid between $5K and $8K in this thread...
This is interesting. I know that it may not be the best, Plasma did hold that crown, but unfortunately they are not being made anymore. I am very surprised that a technology that isn't good for sports would "win." I say this because, in my estimation at least, sports are far more popular than movies overall. I would think that sports are a bigger driver of TV technology than movies are. So I would think that TV manufacturers would be really trying to optimize these for sports.

I will have more info and thoughts after the UNC vs Virginia game tonight, but I am borderline embarrassed to have people over to watch it given how (relatively) poor it looks to me compared to my old TV, for the price paid for this set. I can visibly see that it can't really seem to keep up with the speed of a basketball game and to my eye makes it look somewhat blurry (that said, when it slows down and they shoot free throws for example, it looks great again). It will be interesting to see if my buddies notice this tonight.

Again, I knew that it wasn't perfect, but I did assume that it would be equal to a 5 year old TV, at least. As for the price...I have a REALLY hard time justifying this TV at <the price I paid> and have no clue how anybody could justify it at double that. It just doesn't seem to be that head and shoulders better than far cheaper TVs. I am sure that will be an unpopular opinion here and I am really not trying to start anything. I obviously bought this TV and want to love it and really did expect to be more blown away by it.

-RS

Last edited by RS1990; 02-27-2017 at 10:06 AM.
post #16648 of 22057 Old 02-27-2017, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3837 Post(s)
Liked: 3776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2JDMBFAN View Post
Sorry I don't agree with that maybe College Basketball beyond that my set excels at Football, Hockey, baseball and boxing. Don't miss my previous plasmas at alkm

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
fhschellenberg likes this.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
post #16649 of 22057 Old 02-27-2017, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post
Quote:

I get Dolby 5.1 audio via ARC on my Samsung DVR hooked up directly to the TV (HDMI 1), and I didn't have to change anything in the service menu.
Really?! And you have an E6?

Could you do us all a huge favor and list your firmware and all your settings that aren't greyed out in the E6 service menu... Pretty please. *puppy dog eyes*

Also, are set as PCM or Auto for the ARC setting in the audio menu?

Thank you so much for anything you can provide.
post #16650 of 22057 Old 02-27-2017, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked: 566
So this morning I wanted to try something out with the Amazon app on my Xbox One (not xbox one s) verse the Amazon app on the LG E6 streaming through my Marantz 8802a. Hands down the amazon app looked and sounded way better through my Xbox One verse the LG TV app. i was able to upscale the xbox one picture to 4k through my Marantz 8802a and the sound was HDMI through the Xbox one as well. With the LG app i am using an optical cable to get 5.1 and set to ARC/ Optical with CEC-HDMI turned off (that is the only way I can get 5.1 through my home theater speakers using the app. If I use ARC HDMI and turn on CEC-HDMI or Simplink all go the sec protocols come into effect and Apple TV turns itself on and switches inputs every single time I power on my TV. Regardless the soundtrack sounds way better through the XBOX one verse the optical cable via LG amazon app. The optical cable is a AudioQuest Cinnamon . Ant thoughts on why one sounds and looks better verse the other?
clone1008 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
65e6p , 65G6P , dolby vision , OLED55C6P , OLED65E6P , vesa mount. shelving

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page