2016 LG OLED 65G6P and 65E6P Owners Thread - Page 556 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 87611Likes

post #16651 of 22090 Old 02-27-2017, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknomedic View Post
Really?! And you have an E6?

Could you do us all a huge favor and list your firmware and all your settings that aren't greyed out in the E6 service menu... Pretty please. *puppy dog eyes*

Also, are set as PCM or Auto for the ARC setting in the audio menu?

Thank you so much for anything you can provide.
Yes I have 65" E6P.

FW is the latest. Forget the whole number, but ends in .95, pretty sure.

Not at home, so I don't know the settings offhand. Will have to get them later tonight when I'm home... hopefully I remember, as I'm usually only on AVS when I'm at work lol.

I can tell you I have a Denon 720w. The Denon is hooked up to the TV via HDMI 2, which is the ARC HDMI port. The Samsung DVR through Optimum is hooked up directly to the TV via HDMI 1. I tried the DVR through the Denon, and was able to get ARC to pass audio, until I enabled Deep Color on HDMI 2, at which time the DVR would no longer output any sound at all. Tried a few things, but could never get it to work, and didn't want to keep turning Deep Color on and off just for the DVR, so I hooked it up separately. It still gets 5.1 audio passed through ARC.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16652 of 22090 Old 02-27-2017, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1175 Post(s)
Liked: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post
Yes I have 65" E6P.

Not at home, so I don't know the settings offhand. Will have to get them later tonight when I'm home... hopefully I remember, as I'm usually only on AVS when I'm at work lol.

I can tell you I have a Denon 720w. The Denon is hooked up to the TV via HDMI 2, which is the ARC HDMI port. The Samsung DVR through Optimum is hooked up directly to the TV via HDMI 1. I tried the DVR through the Denon, and was able to get ARC to pass audio, until I enabled Deep Color on HDMI 2, at which time the DVR would no longer output any sound at all. Tried a few things, but could never get it to work, and didn't want to keep turning Deep Color on and off just for the DVR, so I hooked it up separately. It still gets 5.1 audio passed through ARC.
What model and year is your Denon receiver? Is your receiver HDCP2.2 and HDMI 2.0a with 4k 4:4:4 50/60Hz pass through support ? If not that is why deep color is not working. I have a Marantz 8802a with those specs and HDMI UTRA DEEP COLOR works on everything I have it connected to. I upscale everything to 4k and if I look at the info screen on the Marantz I see a conversion of 1080P to 4k 60Hz and 4:4:4 AND A 10bit converted to 8 bit.
post #16653 of 22090 Old 02-27-2017, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-T View Post
What model and year is your Denon receiver? Is your receiver HDCP2.2 and HDMI 2.0a with 4k 4:4:4 50/60Hz pass through support ? If not that is why deep color is not working. I have a Marantz 8802a with those specs and HDMI UTRA DEEP COLOR works on everything I have it connected to. I upscale everything to 4k and if I look at the info screen on the Marantz I see a conversion of 1080P to 4k 60Hz and 4:4:4 AND A 10bit converted to 8 bit.
The model is Denon 720w. Came out 2016. It is fully 4k HDCP2.2 compat.

I run everything through the Denon (PS4 Pro, Samsung K8500 UHD Player, PS3) except my DVR. Everything works fine/passes 4K/ passes all HD and Atmos audio. The only issue is with the DVR when Deep Color is enabled, it will not output sound via ARC. I've seen others with the same issue. Likely the issue is on the cable box's end.

It's not that Deep Color isn't working, it's that when it's enabled on the HDMI 2 that the Denon is connected to, if the DVR is going through the Denon, it no longer will output audio via ARC. If I disable Deep Color, the audio over ARC works again. To avoid turning Deep Color on and Off, I just go direct from the DVR to the TV. It doesn't do 4K or HDR anyway, nor HD Audio, so not missing anything by not having it in the Denon.

Last edited by Stuntman_Mike; 02-27-2017 at 10:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16654 of 22090 Old 02-27-2017, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6764 Post(s)
Liked: 6768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjminer72 View Post
So after going through the hassle of dragging my first E6P back for dead pixels. I get the new one yesterday and believed it to be free of pixel issues. Of course it had a scratch and messed up stand screws. Now tonight, I see a dead pixel again. So I have the same pixel problem and some added issues I didn't have with the first one. Not sure what to do now. I feel ill.
That is really odd.....Just don't see to many comments in here with that issue.
post #16655 of 22090 Old 02-27-2017, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Trying to get standard cable signal through composite (via provided adaptor) instead of the RF cable. The only 4k or HDR source I'm using is PS4 Pro or Xbox One S. I've been told that the composite would provide a 'cleaner' signal, even if only marginally. I can't get any video, only audio. I've tried 2 different cable boxes and tried both going directly in to the TV (55 E6) using the adaptor and in to my receiver (Yamaha RX-V481). In all cases all I can get is audio. Am I missing something?

Thanks
post #16656 of 22090 Old 02-27-2017, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt310 View Post
I wonder how many in total were sold at that price, and if Best Buy/other retailers will follow suit in the coming months. BBY has five times as many stores so I'd have to imagine they're sitting on a pile of unsold inventory (unless they, say, give them back to LG for redistribution elsewhere.)
The hhgregg salesperson said only two G6's were only set up i their two "superstores" in the Cincy area: Florence and somewhere else. With the huge pricetag, I would be suprised in a "normal" big box store would have ordered a large qty of $8K TVs.

But then again, I'm in engineering, not in sales/marketing.

I stand corrected: I went into BB later and saw a G6 on display and one in a box next to it. Was trying to figure out how to use their price match tp get it down to hhgregg's price. The salesperson said it needs to be an advertised price. It's not on their website (anymore?), so there's nothing to show them. I said I had my original receipt, but she didn't think they could use that.

Last edited by Ed_H; 02-27-2017 at 08:03 PM. Reason: add'l info
post #16657 of 22090 Old 02-27-2017, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by mttpalmer View Post
saw a lot of banding and blockiness in dark backgrounds. The OLEDs show everything, good detail and bad.

The more contentious question is whether these OLEDs should be correcting for that banding and blockiness in the content. Some claim that other brands (Sony) already do that and this is evidence that LG has dropped the ball there.

The only problem I have is that the OLED makes good content look spectacular, and that raises your expectations and exacerbates how bad poor content appears to you. I think that's a good problem to have...
Banding, AKA poor gradient reproduction, is almost always due to the image either being 8 bit when sent to you, or 8 bit at some point in its path. 8 bit grads don't do well at the luminance or chroma transition points - 10 bits is a much nicer transition.

Blockiness is due to the immense amount of compression being applied to the image somewhere (or probably everywhere) in the signal chain.

Neither is the fault of the LG. No balls have been dropped.

To 'fix' those issues, the available options of 'noise reduction' and 'blending' both make the image smeared and soft, as well as affecting the motion of objects on the screen. If Sony is doing that, that's currently the only way to achieve it, and no thank you. Perhaps they are also dynamically changing the refresh rate to compensate for that processing, and that (for me) just makes things worse. Samsung has introduced some of that in their low end sets to compensate for some spectacularly bad panels and circuitry. On the recommendations from rtings.com I bought a 40" UHD one at Christmas for $279 and returned it a few weeks later. It was beyond awful, far worse than the 8 year old Toshiba it replaced. I won't be trusting rtings.com ratings again.

We've all been watching some crappy images from cablecos, satellite, and streaming services, and the LG is faithfully reproducing all of it. It's like not renewing your reading glasses prescription for a decade, then getting new glasses and noticing that you and your spouse have both grown older looking.

There are some adjustments in the LG to compensate somewhat for the problems, but I leave them off because they introduce issues I find more annoying than the grads and blockiness.
post #16658 of 22090 Old 02-27-2017, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked: 1433
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougDingle View Post
Banding, AKA poor gradient reproduction, is almost always due to the image either being 8 bit when sent to you, or 8 bit at some point in its path. 8 bit grads don't do well at the luminance or chroma transition points - 10 bits is a much nicer transition.

Blockiness is due to the immense amount of compression being applied to the image somewhere (or probably everywhere) in the signal chain.

Neither is the fault of the LG. No balls have been dropped.

To 'fix' those issues, the available options of 'noise reduction' and 'blending' both make the image smeared and soft, as well as affecting the motion of objects on the screen. If Sony is doing that, that's currently the only way to achieve it, and no thank you. Perhaps they are also dynamically changing the refresh rate to compensate for that processing, and that (for me) just makes things worse. Samsung has introduced some of that in their low end sets to compensate for some spectacularly bad panels and circuitry. On the recommendations from rtings.com I bought a 40" UHD one at Christmas for $279 and returned it a few weeks later. It was beyond awful, far worse than the 8 year old Toshiba it replaced. I won't be trusting rtings.com ratings again.

We've all been watching some crappy images from cablecos, satellite, and streaming services, and the LG is faithfully reproducing all of it. It's like not renewing your reading glasses prescription for a decade, then getting new glasses and noticing that you and your spouse have both grown older looking.

There are some adjustments in the LG to compensate somewhat for the problems, but I leave them off because they introduce issues I find more annoying than the grads and blockiness.
I agree here. Even my world-class KURO showed false contouring and some gradient noise but it was ALWAYS from cable or Netflix. Never blu-ray or even DVD(still big at the time, lol). With my current OLED I will see it from time to time but its never a big deal and simply does not manifest itself with premium feeds aka blu-ray, UHD and even 4K videos off of a thumb drive. Netflix and others have gotten much better too. It really isnt a big problem, IMO. Its 95% source related if not 100%.

I also prefer to leave processing OFF - it does more harm that good.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
LG UBK-90, Samsung UBD-8500K
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #16659 of 22090 Old 02-27-2017, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Quote:
Really?! And you have an E6?

Could you do us all a huge favor and list your firmware and all your settings that aren't greyed out in the E6 service menu... Pretty please. *puppy dog eyes*

Also, are set as PCM or Auto for the ARC setting in the audio menu?

Thank you so much for anything you can provide.
Yes I have 65" E6P.

I really appreciate you taking a peek at the settings later.

I have a Denon X3300W hooked up though HDMI 2 on the E6 for ARC as well and the only audio issue I've had is the E6 switching back to infernal speakers after power cycling so I switched to optical for the time being.

I get 5.1 audio over ARC and Optical from OTA broadcasts, but only stereo from a PC, PS3, PS4, Wii U, 360, Xbone and Samsung K8500 when I tried them on all on the remaining HDMI 1, 3 and 4 inputs.

I was hoping to save a little money, but at this point I think I'll be buying a new HDMI switch to add more inputs to the Denon instead.

The real issue is enabling Deep Color for all those devices since not all support it. I was really hoping to disable that on a three remaining inputs on the TV for the older devices.

I look forward to seeing what your service menu looks like Vs mine.

Also... Do you know the manufacture month? Mine is a 701, January. Maybe a hardware revision removed the "free" 5.1.
post #16660 of 22090 Old 02-27-2017, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How bad is the image retention on the 65e6 and can it become permanent "burn-in"?

I am considering the 65uh8500 and the oled65e6, I am coming from a Samsung 51" D8000 series plasma, for me 3D is a must, I have several 3D movies. My room is only partially light controlled, I have enjoyed my plasma for years but it is starting to have some issues so will need a replacement. Being LG is about the only major brand left with 3D is why I am looking into theses sets. One concern is my wife loves to watch the networks with the logos that begs for "burn-in" as I have one of those network logos burned into my plasma, not that noticeable but still there, hence my consideration for the lcd set however I was reading that it to suffers from image retention. So my question is how bad is the image retention on the 8500 series vs the E6 series? I know that the 8500 is lcd and the E6 is oled and for the most part the oled will have a better picture which I care about, but I also don't want my new set to have network logos "burned-in". I primarily watch Blu-rays on my oppo bdp105d and will eventually get oppo's udp203 or upcoming udp205 for uhd movies. Mostly we watch movies in the evening, all the lights by the tv are off but we normally leave a light on in the other room. Also I do have the medialight bias lighting on the back of my plasma and use that every time we watch in the evening/night. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you
post #16661 of 22090 Old 02-27-2017, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I really appreciate you taking a peek at the settings later.

I have a Denon X3300W hooked up though HDMI 2 on the E6 for ARC as well and the only audio issue I've had is the E6 switching back to infernal speakers after power cycling so I switched to optical for the time being.

I get 5.1 audio over ARC and Optical from OTA broadcasts, but only stereo from a PC, PS3, PS4, Wii U, 360, Xbone and Samsung K8500 when I tried them on all on the remaining HDMI 1, 3 and 4 inputs.

I was hoping to save a little money, but at this point I think I'll be buying a new HDMI switch to add more inputs to the Denon instead.

The real issue is enabling Deep Color for all those devices since not all support it. I was really hoping to disable that on a three remaining inputs on the TV for the older devices.

I look forward to seeing what your service menu looks like Vs mine.

Also... Do you know the manufacture month? Mine is a 701, January. Maybe a hardware revision removed the "free" 5.1.
I believe my build is from October. Have to check.

Deep Color shouldn't affect components that aren't compatible. Usually anyway. DVR not outputting sound over ARC when enabled, notwithstanding.

post #16662 of 22090 Old 02-27-2017, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked: 668
Quote:
Deep Color shouldn't affect components that aren't compatible. Usually anyway. DVR not outputting sound over ARC when enabled, notwithstanding.
It's possible that Deep Color maxes out the available HDMI bandwidth, and so they have to turn off ARC.

The lack of available HDMI bandwidth is what limits ARC to "pass-it-through" DD 5.1 on most setups. The sets capable of better than DD 5.1 over ARC (like some Vizios) get there by compressing the audio before sending it out over ARC or optical. It's questionable whether compressed DD+ or DD 7.1 audio is an improvement over non-compressed DD 5.1.

The next version of HDMI will have a lot more bandwidth, but we'll have to buy all new everything with an HDMI connector on it (and all new cables) to take advantage of it.
post #16663 of 22090 Old 02-27-2017, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy77 View Post
How bad is the image retention on the 65e6 and can it become permanent "burn-in"?

I am considering the 65uh8500 and the oled65e6, I am coming from a Samsung 51" D8000 series plasma, for me 3D is a must, I have several 3D movies.

So far nonexistent on mine, and my plasma would have had it by now. The 3D is mindblowing though. My wife just asked me last night what we are going to do after this tv dies because she doesn't want to lose out on our 3D movie night. She never said things like that when my plasma was still running.

Out of all the plasma threads you would have had dozens and dozens (if not hundreds) of observed logo retention incidents. Out of all the LCD threads you might get a small handful of logo retention observations. After all the OLED threads you have a small handful of logo retention observations and maybe 1 confirmed photo that I can even remember.

And the plasma retention never bothered me much as the uniformity issues on the competition.
fhschellenberg likes this.
post #16664 of 22090 Old 02-27-2017, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:

I am considering the 65uh8500 and the oled65e6, I am coming from a Samsung 51" D8000 series plasma, for me 3D is a must, I have several 3D movies.
I've had the 65E6 only for a couple of weeks. I agree....3D is really really good....enough that my wife who isn't a 3D fan actually sits through our 3D movie collection. The TV has plenty of burn-in safeguards, with the screen saver that kicks in if something is paused for too long. The real burn in problems might happen if you use it for a computer screen for a long period of time. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry to much.
NSCTripleAgent and FredB51 like this.
post #16665 of 22090 Old 02-27-2017, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magellan55 View Post
I listened to it a bit until I got ARC working. It is definitely better than the skinny down-firing speakers on my Sony TV but no substitute for a proper 5.1 system. Can't say for sure how it compares to 3rd party sound bars, but I've not been impressed with many of those either unless they came with a wireless sub. But the E6 would be fine as a 2nd/bedroom TV on it's own if you had a primary setup for movie watching.
I have heard this is a common issue with ARC not working. What' was issue and how did you get it to work?
post #16666 of 22090 Old 02-27-2017, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS1990 View Post
I finally received and hung my new 65E6P yesterday, so only have 2 days of viewing on at this point. I'm coming from the Panasonic 55 VT50, which was a great TV. Right now I kind of have mixed feelings about the LG. It's good, don't get me wrong, but I expected to be more blown away by it given all the reviews I have read and I just am not. Most of what I have watched has been college basketball and my early view is that my plasma was much better. It was even worse on the WatchESPN app, was supposed to be 1080p, but looked pretty bad. I need to checkout some football to see how that looks, tough to find out of season though.

I did check out some 4k on Netflix (through the TV as I found out the hard way that the Amazon FireTV Stick that I just bought doesn't do 4k) and that looked really good. Even there though...fast moving is noticeably worse that my old TV.

I will have to continue to look at some of the calibration settings to see what I can do, but I expected more for $3k. I'm open to any advice.

What caused me to get the new TV in the first place was two things...the first is that I wanted a larger TV for my living room. The second was that the darkness of the plasma was starting to annoy me and I couldn't seem to tune my way out of it. What I mean is that if I was watching a relatively dark show it was so dark that I could not really see any details. A black suit coat with a black shirt under it was just too dark to tell the difference.
I have this same issue. Replacing my 65vt60. I have a 55vt50 in bedroom. I have a 65 e6 on order. I hope the picture looks just as good as the plasma but I am worried. Any updates?
post #16667 of 22090 Old 02-27-2017, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
I believe my build is from October. Have to check.

Please don't take this wrong, but are you sure 5.1 is being passed to your AVR? I thought I was getting 5.1 passed, until I realized I had "HD-DCS" setting on my Sony AVR (simulates 5.1 on a PCM signal). Once I hit "pure direct", I was left with only stereo coming over the ARC from the Roku I had plugged into my TV's HDMI 1. When I switched the same movie over from the Roku to the internal Netflix app on the TV, I got 5.1. 701 build, .95 firmware.

HT: OLED65E6P (ChadB cal'd), STR-DN1080, UBP-X800, 7 Take Classics, Dual SB2000's
LR: 47LW5600

Last edited by Magellan55; 02-27-2017 at 07:41 PM.
post #16668 of 22090 Old 02-27-2017, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by 370ZYZFR1 View Post
I have heard this is a common issue with ARC not working. What' was issue and how did you get it to work?
In my case I think the CEC handshake on my Sony AVR was still looking for my old Sony TV. Once I turned "HDMI control" (Simplink on the TV) off on both the TV and AVR, rebooted both, then turned HDMI control back on both, ARC worked. My LG remote also controls the AVR volume fine, and even lets me change AVR settings and control the Sony Blu-Ray attached to the AVR. It actually works a little bit better than my Sony TV's remote in this regard! and that was one of the things I thought I was giving up switching TV brands.

There's also the issue with deep color and ARC on HDMI 2 being discussed, but i haven't hit that yet as none of my peripherals are UHD so I have that turned off.

HT: OLED65E6P (ChadB cal'd), STR-DN1080, UBP-X800, 7 Take Classics, Dual SB2000's
LR: 47LW5600
post #16669 of 22090 Old 02-27-2017, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 370ZYZFR1 View Post
I have this same issue. Replacing my 65vt60. I have a 55vt50 in bedroom. I have a 65 e6 on order. I hope the picture looks just as good as the plasma but I am worried. Any updates?
I still am not finding it any better than my VT50 that it replaced...unless watching 4k, that does look great, but there just isn't much content yet. I watch a lot of sports and the plasma was better so far.

I was hoping that by getting the digital HD version of my SW: The Force Awakens linked to Amazon that I would get it 4k through the TV app, but they don't appear to have a 4k version yet. Highly disappointing.

I do need to get a BR player that will upconvert to 4k as I have heard others say that looks very good too. Right? I'm just playing them on my old PS4 right now.

-RS
post #16670 of 22090 Old 02-27-2017, 08:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
I still am not finding it any better than my VT50 that it replaced...unless watching 4k, that does look great, but there just isn't much content yet. I watch a lot of sports and the plasma was better so far.

I was hoping that by getting the digital HD version of my SW: The Force Awakens linked to Amazon that I would get it 4k through the TV app, but they don't appear to have a 4k version yet. Highly disappointing.

I do need to get a BR player that will upconvert to 4k as I have heard others say that looks very good too. Right? I'm just playing them on my old PS4 right now.
You do not need a new BR player for standard BR's. PS4 is fine. Oppo 203 Vs. PS4 or Xbox One S show very minimal differences on my calibrated G6 for regular BR Discs.
RS1990 and Magellan55 like this.

Sony 75" XBR-75Z9D
Denon AVR-X4400H
(4) Klipsch RP-280FA Dolby Atmos Enabled Towers
(1) Klipsch RP-450CA Center Channel
(1) SVS 12" PC-2000 Subwoofer
post #16671 of 22090 Old 02-27-2017, 08:34 PM

Quote:

You do need to get a BR player that will upconvert to 4k as I have heard others say that looks very good too. Right? I'm just playing them on my old PS4 right now.
You need to get a 4k br to play native 4k discs. This wil really show the strength of the oled. I am not convinced any other format aside from 4k outperforms the vt50/60.

I have a vt60 and 50 as I stated. I also have the 65e6 on order to be delivered Friday. I hope I am not disappointed. The pannys are such a benchmark tv. Handled motion and uniformity so well.
RS1990 likes this.
post #16672 of 22090 Old 02-27-2017, 08:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 5484 Post(s)
Liked: 3888
Quote:

Personally, I am not impressed by HDR. 90% of the UHD blu ray movies, IMO, look worse than the standard blu ray version, simply because they are either too dark, or have elevated blacks. However, what does impress me is the WCG that UHD discs provide. I have to OPPO 203 and it strips the HDR off of the UHD disc but maintains the WCG in the form of sdr2020. Once OPPO has that perfected, I will strip HDR off when viewing and get the best of both worlds. 4K with WCG minus HDR. Perhaps DV HDR will be better. We will find out soon. But to me, HDR10 is a fail.
C44 likes this.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
post #16673 of 22090 Old 02-27-2017, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
That is really odd.....Just don't see to many comments in here with that issue.
I'm positive more bad pixels are still popping up on this set. I just got home from work and I now count 7 pixels. Three on the opposite side of the screen now. Most of these are the combo of a red/green combo and show on white screens. They appear black on darker screens. I'm definitely doing another exchange, because why not at this point. But there isn't any other tv out there that can compete for me other than the Sony Z9. And price is the issue. But who knows how tomorrow will end. Will I have another E6P or a Z9?
post #16674 of 22090 Old 02-27-2017, 10:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 119
LG Netflix App update - 2/28/17 46.74MB 1.4.29

Don't know what it fixes, just hope it doesn't break anything cause everything is working properly on my LG E6.

post #16675 of 22090 Old 02-27-2017, 11:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rieper View Post
Don't know what it fixes, just hope it doesn't break anything cause everything is working properly on my LG E6.

Don't update!!! I just did and lost all 4K and Dolby Vision programming!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Sony 75" XBR-75Z9D
Denon AVR-X4400H
(4) Klipsch RP-280FA Dolby Atmos Enabled Towers
(1) Klipsch RP-450CA Center Channel
(1) SVS 12" PC-2000 Subwoofer
post #16676 of 22090 Old 02-27-2017, 11:04 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

I am considering the 65uh8500 and the oled65e6, I am coming from a Samsung 51" D8000 series plasma, for me 3D is a must, I have several 3D movies. My room is only partially light controlled, I have enjoyed my plasma for years but it is starting to have some issues so will need a replacement. Being LG is about the only major brand left with 3D is why I am looking into theses sets. One concern is my wife loves to watch the networks with the logos that begs for "burn-in" as I have one of those network logos burned into my plasma, not that noticeable but still there, hence my consideration for the lcd set however I was reading that it to suffers from image retention. So my question is how bad is the image retention on the 8500 series vs the E6 series? I know that the 8500 is lcd and the E6 is oled and for the most part the oled will have a better picture which I care about, but I also don't want my new set to have network logos "burned-in". I primarily watch Blu-rays on my oppo bdp105d and will eventually get oppo's udp203 or upcoming udp205 for uhd movies. Mostly we watch movies in the evening, all the lights by the tv are off but we normally leave a light on in the other room. Also I do have the medialight bias lighting on the back of my plasma and use that every time we watch in the evening/night. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you
I've seen some very mild IR on my E6, but only on solid grey or similar screens and I haven't noticed any on regular viewing... And I've been looking for it. My preference is sci-fi and my biggest concern was seeing IR in space scenes.. But none seen...and the pure blacks of space worth the OLED premium after seeing it.

My personal opinion on IR is that it's a non-issue for normal viewing.

I can't really speak to burn-in as this is my first OLED and I've only had it a couple weeks, but based on what I've read it's basically a non-issue as well. Some have claimed to have burn-in, but those have been store model sets on the retina burning demo modes and there's also been some question about if that's actually burn-in or just bad IR that will go away with proper care.... As well as some questioning if the person(s) reporting burn-in know the difference between IR and burn-in.

I do know the difference and have seen real burn-in. One of my hobbies working on arcade machines and I have very much appreciated burn-in on a few older CRT monitors and will certainly report it if I ever find any on my set. I'm a gamer and tend to play long hours with static status indicators all over the screen so it'll only be a matter of time IF it's possible. Again... Even with many hours of gameplay under my belt on the E6....still not seeing any IR on normal playing... And certainly no burn-in yet sheet a few weeks.

My vote goes to OLED.... And this was after owning a Sony 75X940D for a about a week.
post #16677 of 22090 Old 02-27-2017, 11:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2JDMBFAN View Post

I actually read on another forum a similar problem to yours and the guy fixed it by tapping a ball peen hammer directly in the center of his LG Oled tv. Fixed it right up. Might want to give it a shot.

Please post pics after!!
TinyRK likes this.
post #16678 of 22090 Old 02-28-2017, 01:08 AM

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 49
A bright red stuck pixel has popped up on my TV. I read running a manual comp cycle might help. Can anyone tell me how to run this please.
I have about 1700 hours.

Display: LG 65E6P, Speakers: 7.1, Polk Monitor 70 Biamped (R,L), Polk CS20 (Center), QPD (Rears), Yamaha (Woofer) Previous Displays: LG 65EF9500, VIZIO P702ui-B3, Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sharp Elite PRO-70X5FD, Sony XBR-65HX950, Toshiba 55SV670U, Mitsubishi WD-65734, Panasonic PT-47WX49
post #16679 of 22090 Old 02-28-2017, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rx74ray View Post
A bright red stuck pixel has popped up on my TV. I read running a manual comp cycle might help. Can anyone tell me how to run this please.
I have about 1700 hours.
Not in front of the TV now, but there is a setting in one of the menus called Clear Panel Noise. That's it. I think it's under General, but can't remember 100% right now.

post #16680 of 22090 Old 02-28-2017, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2JDMBFAN View Post

Ugh....I updated it this morning before leaving for work.

-RS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
65e6p , 65G6P , dolby vision , OLED55C6P , OLED65E6P , vesa mount. shelving

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page