2016 LG OLED 65G6P and 65E6P Owners Thread - Page 653 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 87545Likes

post #19561 of 21939 Old 09-23-2017, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5352 Post(s)
Liked: 3763
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger View Post
Re: Apple TV 4K and Dolby Vision

ATV owners - Can someone confirm if the same happens to you? When I switch to Dolby Vision, the TV menu is super clunky and juddery.
Yes it is clunky since we have to set ATV to 24hz to watch DV on our 2016 OLEDS.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19562 of 21939 Old 09-23-2017, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
So it's a DV thing then? Interesting. Or is it something with the Apple TV unit?
Or it's our tv's, since DV floats on disc and streaming. Something weird is is happening with DV. Kong isnt even a DV disc.

post #19563 of 21939 Old 09-23-2017, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
So it's a DV thing then? Interesting. Or is it something with the Apple TV unit?
it is a Dolby Vision firmware bug, but since lots of people say that no, that it's studios fault, LG does nothing to fix it, the same happens for HDR10 and the dimmer dark scenes, those could be amazing and looks perfect like 2017 LG if they implement the Active HDR algorythm for HDR10 & DV, but people does not ask for it and they say "it looks as it should be", no, it looks dimm compared to a 2017 with the algorythm
jkuch88 and Video Auteur like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19564 of 21939 Old 09-23-2017, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 136
i just got the apple tv ,i to have it set to dolby vision 4k ,24 hz ,it looks fine with true motion off ,or it set to dejudder 1. I've tried ,4k HDR 60, 1080p dolby vision 60 ,and 4k dolby vision 30hz ,and finally settled on 4k dolby vision 24 hz

greatone99
post #19565 of 21939 Old 09-23-2017, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger View Post
Re: Apple TV 4K and Dolby Vision

ATV owners - Can someone confirm if the same happens to you? When I switch to Dolby Vision, the TV menu is super clunky and juddery.

Same LG menus lag when Apple TV is switched to 4K Dolby Vision.

Goldenear Triton 1, Sony XBR 940c,LG 65E6P, Denon x7200WA,Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K Blu-ray , Polk-Audio-LSiM704c,Polk Audio FXiA6 SS,Polk Audio DSW Pro660 Sub, paradigm,KEF height (atmos) 5.1.4
post #19566 of 21939 Old 09-24-2017, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6303 Post(s)
Liked: 6309
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
I agree. I tried watching a MLB game with DV still enabled. It looked horrible. Switched to 4K HDR10 and it did not look bad. So outside of content that is DV, do not use DV on anything else.
Kinda like watching a non-filmed movie in 3D, the quality is just not the same....
post #19567 of 21939 Old 09-24-2017, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by farminfool View Post
Same LG menus lag when Apple TV is switched to 4K Dolby Vision.

Yep, I assume it is because the refresh is 30 when playing DV on my TV, instead of the ATV default of 60.

I keep my ATV set to 4K SDR 60hz, except when watching actual HDR content. Then I set it to either 24 or 30 DV, depending on the source. I double tap the tv button to quickly switch to settings and set the res.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ben
How good could it be if it isn't HD?
No longer contributing to Engadget HD
post #19568 of 21939 Old 09-26-2017, 11:07 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Is anyone having audio sync issues setting their E6 to Dolby Vision 30hz or 24hz on Apple TV 4K?

I have the latest HDMI spec’d cables connected to my Apple TV and on my Denon 4300 AVR. HDR 60hz and 24hz sync audio just fine. Xbox One S has no audio sync issues either.
post #19569 of 21939 Old 09-26-2017, 11:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotrooster View Post
Is anyone having audio sync issues setting their E6 to Dolby Vision 30hz or 24hz on Apple TV 4K?

I have the latest HDMI spec’d cables connected to my Apple TV and on my Denon 4300 AVR. HDR 60hz and 24hz sync audio just fine. Xbox One S has no audio sync issues either.
Try turning off AV sync in the sound settings on the tv, or switch the audio setting on tv to external speakers only. If you have av sync already off, then try turning it on and enabling bypass. I also noticed at least when I use TM and set dejudder to anything more than 0, it can affect audio sync with DV when I am using my OPPO 203. I think the issue with DV on the E6 is the tv has to do additional processing with DV tone mapping and that may cause some sync issue.

Last edited by wxman; 09-26-2017 at 11:42 PM.
post #19570 of 21939 Old 09-27-2017, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Try turning off AV sync in the sound settings on the tv, or switch the audio setting on tv to external speakers only. If you have av sync already off, then try turning it on and enabling bypass. I also noticed at least when I use TM and set dejudder to anything more than 0, it can affect audio sync with DV when I am using my OPPO 203. I think the issue with DV on the E6 is the tv has to do additional processing with DV tone mapping and that may cause some sync issue.
Thanks. I tried all of that and still got the sync issues. Then I plugged the ATV directly to the TV and used audio return channel to send the sound back the the receiver. No sync issues even with TM and dejudder set to 2 either.

It’s definitely a delay from the receiver.
post #19571 of 21939 Old 09-27-2017, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Does anyone have a link to a Euro or U.K. Version of the lgdtvupdater package so I can downgrade? I've tried using the US version posted on here but although the TV finds the update it fails to install as it's a US version.
post #19572 of 21939 Old 09-28-2017, 05:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Need some help with my 77 G6P. I am using either the ISF calibrated dark or bright modes. These look best to me. But on horizontal panning shots, I notice lots of stutter. Is that problem with LG oleds, or could it be my source ? (Mostly 4k youtube videos). Also, what do I adjust to bring up shadow detail, is it the oled back light, brightness or gamma?

Thanks
post #19573 of 21939 Old 09-28-2017, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am watching Sneaky Pete in HDR via the Amazon app on the TV and found the picture was really dark, so much so that anything in shadow was lost. Dynamic Contrast was off by default, but I have had to put it on medium to brighten the screen. Anyone else come across this?
post #19574 of 21939 Old 09-28-2017, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Absolutely agree. I have NO problem with people wanting defect-free performance or to be satisfied with their TV. That being said, hunting relentlessly for *artifacts* that would never actually manifest themselves during normal viewing is just silly IMO. My set out of the box did have some slight vignetting on the right hand side that could be detected occasionally with certain gray-ish backgrounds. Now that the set has thousands of hours on it? Mostly gone. Even so, it was not a problem I would have returned or exchanged the TV for.

Id hope a board would take care of that. Definitely make them get it right! for you!
Another update: LG has the worst customer service I have EVER experienced. Long story short, technician visits my place, has panel, board etc. with him but was not sure what to do with it as he was not experienced with OLED TV's and wanted to connect with LG first on how to proceed. 3 days later I get the message that LG techs think the issue has been caused by an external device. Okay I understand some people are morons and directly call LG or Samsung or whoever when they see an issue but not this guy, I checked every connection exchanged every cable, and to top this all up even when I disconnect everything the issue can still be seen on the YouTube and Netflix apps from the TV itself. Okay...I called LG again, they acknowledged again that there was an issue that needs to be resolved, so they opened the ticket and scheduled a technician for Monday the 18th of September, I took a day off and was looking forward to get it resolved. Something told me that Monday morning to call the technician if he even got the ticket and appointment scheduled for that afternoon and?...negative, didnt know anything about it. So, contacted LG again and after being on the phone for hours the LG rep told me to send pictures (again) which I did and again acknowledged something needs to be done so ,,,,scheduled a technician for Friday afternoon September 29th. After everything was scheduled I thought the next day lets call the tech company again that supposed to solve the issue, but what a surprise, they did not know anything about it. So I called again and was told that the tech company would have a meeting with LG's service manager and would be informed about the outcome. Well I just got an email telling me that LG has closed the ticket as in their opinion I have to exchange the devices that are connected to my TV? Seriously they must be on crack cocaine today? Well tomorrow I will make another phone call to LG and they better exchange the TV (that I was promised when I was on the phone with them the second time) otherwise I will get the media and everyone involved to see how we finally can settle this. The only thing they can do is to exchange it for a new TV as this one is clearly a faulty set. Im attaching the pictures and you can clearly see the discoloration on the left side, almost looks like a cheap LED tv!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OLEDissue4.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	262.4 KB
ID:	2289630   Click image for larger version

Name:	OLEDissue2.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	514.6 KB
ID:	2289632   Click image for larger version

Name:	OLEDissue1.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	582.6 KB
ID:	2289634  
Y2JDMBFAN and enivid like this.
post #19575 of 21939 Old 09-28-2017, 06:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4280 Post(s)
Liked: 3704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoj Mohan View Post
Need some help with my 77 G6P. I am using either the ISF calibrated dark or bright modes. These look best to me. But on horizontal panning shots, I notice lots of stutter. Is that problem with LG oleds, or could it be my source ? (Mostly 4k youtube videos).
The source might be at fault. I've found that sometimes it can't be corrected. Other times, Tru Motion activated will help.

Quote:
Also, what do I adjust to bring up shadow detail, is it the oled back light, brightness or gamma?
Fine adjustments to white balance as described here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...ck-detail.html
post #19576 of 21939 Old 09-29-2017, 02:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1418 Post(s)
Liked: 1402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie41 View Post
Another update: LG has the worst customer service I have EVER experienced. Long story short, technician visits my place, has panel, board etc. with him but was not sure what to do with it as he was not experienced with OLED TV's and wanted to connect with LG first on how to proceed. 3 days later I get the message that LG techs think the issue has been caused by an external device. Okay I understand some people are morons and directly call LG or Samsung or whoever when they see an issue but not this guy, I checked every connection exchanged every cable, and to top this all up even when I disconnect everything the issue can still be seen on the YouTube and Netflix apps from the TV itself. Okay...I called LG again, they acknowledged again that there was an issue that needs to be resolved, so they opened the ticket and scheduled a technician for Monday the 18th of September, I took a day off and was looking forward to get it resolved. Something told me that Monday morning to call the technician if he even got the ticket and appointment scheduled for that afternoon and?...negative, didnt know anything about it. So, contacted LG again and after being on the phone for hours the LG rep told me to send pictures (again) which I did and again acknowledged something needs to be done so ,,,,scheduled a technician for Friday afternoon September 29th. After everything was scheduled I thought the next day lets call the tech company again that supposed to solve the issue, but what a surprise, they did not know anything about it. So I called again and was told that the tech company would have a meeting with LG's service manager and would be informed about the outcome. Well I just got an email telling me that LG has closed the ticket as in their opinion I have to exchange the devices that are connected to my TV? Seriously they must be on crack cocaine today? Well tomorrow I will make another phone call to LG and they better exchange the TV (that I was promised when I was on the phone with them the second time) otherwise I will get the media and everyone involved to see how we finally can settle this. The only thing they can do is to exchange it for a new TV as this one is clearly a faulty set. Im attaching the pictures and you can clearly see the discoloration on the left side, almost looks like a cheap LED tv!!!!
Ugh. That’s not good. So sorry this has happened to you. I don’t get how they came to the conclusion that external devices caused the problem. It’s like.....huh? What?

Stay on them. Make them get it right.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
LG UBK-90, Samsung UBD-8500K
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #19577 of 21939 Old 09-29-2017, 06:41 AM

Quote:

Did you buy it with your credit card? Put in a dispute or call the people you bought it from and tell them. These companies can't get away with this crap.
post #19578 of 21939 Old 09-29-2017, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Seems the last you tube update removed HDR and HLG from my G6 in EU is this the case in USA aswell?
post #19579 of 21939 Old 09-29-2017, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaktmestern View Post
Seems the last you tube update removed HDR and HLG from my G6 in EU is this the case in USA aswell?
I am in the UK and my YouTube updated yesterday but I still have HDR and HLG.
vaktmestern likes this.
post #19580 of 21939 Old 09-29-2017, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinx5779 View Post
I am in the UK and my YouTube updated yesterday but I still have HDR and HLG.
Ok it didnt work for me so i reinstalled the app now its working again.
post #19581 of 21939 Old 09-29-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Ugh. That’s not good. So sorry this has happened to you. I don’t get how they came to the conclusion that external devices caused the problem. It’s like.....huh? What?

Stay on them. Make them get it right.
Yes I will stay on them also got the store involved now where I bought the set from and they are now also looking into it and requested pictures of the issue. Hopefully this will be resolved soon!

LG 65C8 OLED TV
LG SJ9 Soundbar
post #19582 of 21939 Old 09-29-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoj Mohan View Post
Did you buy it with your credit card? Put in a dispute or call the people you bought it from and tell them. These companies can't get away with this crap.
I did buy it with my credit card, but that's back in June. I think LG or the store has to deal with this in a professional, and come up with a customer service friendly solution (EXCHANGE THE TV!) instead of giving me the runaround about fake causes (external devices?!?!)

LG 65C8 OLED TV
LG SJ9 Soundbar
post #19583 of 21939 Old 09-29-2017, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 6303 Post(s)
Liked: 6309
Quote:
Well I just got an email telling me that LG has closed the ticket as in their opinion I have to exchange the devices that are connected to my TV? Seriously they must be on crack cocaine today? Well tomorrow I will make another phone call to LG and they better exchange the TV (that I was promised when I was on the phone with them the second time) otherwise I will get the media and everyone involved to see how we finally can settle this. The only thing they can do is to exchange it for a new TV as this one is clearly a faulty set. Im attaching the pictures and you can clearly see the discoloration on the left side, almost looks like a cheap LED tv!!!!
How you reached out to your dealer for support?
post #19584 of 21939 Old 09-29-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
How you reached out to your dealer for support?
Yes I did this morning, they requested pictures and are looking into it now. I will give updates as soon as I hear more. Thanks everyone for their comments so far!

LG 65C8 OLED TV
LG SJ9 Soundbar
post #19585 of 21939 Old 09-29-2017, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Looks better than a lot of OLED's. I'd get a refund cause your next one will just be the same.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
post #19586 of 21939 Old 09-29-2017, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by enivid View Post
Looks better than a lot of OLED's. I'd get a refund cause your next one will just be the same.
Complete nonsense. Go troll somewhere else.
post #19587 of 21939 Old 09-29-2017, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2845 Post(s)
Liked: 3389
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougDingle View Post
I know right.
post #19588 of 21939 Old 09-29-2017, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
The source might be at fault. I've found that sometimes it can't be corrected. Other times, Tru Motion activated will help.

Fine adjustments to white balance as described here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...ck-detail.html
Hey thanks for the advice, I played around the settings some more and settled on Cinema mode with Warm 3, and some other small adjustments. Its great, almost as good as my plasma grays and shadow details.. almost there.

Mo
video_analysis likes this.
post #19589 of 21939 Old 09-29-2017, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougDingle View Post
Post those same slides from your TV showing perfect uniformity...
post #19590 of 21939 Old 09-29-2017, 08:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2845 Post(s)
Liked: 3389
Quote:
Originally Posted by enivid View Post
Post those same slides from your TV showing perfect uniformity...
What's your point??? Name a set that has perfect uniformity? Their are plenty of oleds including my e6 with very good uniformity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
65e6p , 65G6P , dolby vision , OLED55C6P , OLED65E6P , vesa mount. shelving

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page