2016 LG OLED 65G6P and 65E6P Owners Thread - Page 683 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 88122Likes

post #20461 of 23409 Old 02-07-2018, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk82 View Post
If neither left or right eye show a fully bright or the picture isn't filling the whole screen then I'd say you did something wrong, not sure what though.

What you should be seing is a fully bright fullscreen picture with one eye and a black picture with the other eye. That is if there was no crosstalk, which is not the case with polarized 3D so instead of a black picture you will see a dimmed picture. If there are some bright spots on the dimmed picture then this would indicate a problem with either your viewing position or a misaligned 3D filter.
Thanks. That is what I am seeing, although the picture for the dimming with the right eye is darker in the middle and less dim round the edges. The other picture for the dimming with the left eye is dim all over the screen and uniform. No bright patches on either though. Should they both be uniformly dim across the whole screen?

Last edited by sphinx5779; 02-07-2018 at 12:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20462 of 23409 Old 02-07-2018, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked: 1094
Kinda hard to tell without seeing it, but if there are no bright patches it should be ok I think. Mine is also not totally uniform, you can check my pics on post 20419 in this thread.
post #20463 of 23409 Old 02-07-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Kinda hard to tell without seeing it, but if there are no bright patches it should be ok I think. Mine is also not totally uniform, you can check my pics on post 20419 in this thread.
Thanks for your help. Mine are nowhere near as dim as yours but, as I say, there are no bright patches. I will try and take some photos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20464 of 23409 Old 02-07-2018, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Those photos were taken with a manually set exposure and ISO. If I had taken them with auto settings they would look way worse than what I see with my eye.
post #20465 of 23409 Old 02-08-2018, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Those photos were taken with a manually set exposure and ISO. If I had taken them with auto settings they would look way worse than what I see with my eye.
At least I do not have any bright patches on either screen. I am guessing the dimmer and more uniform the screen the better?

I tried to take photos but failed to capture what I was seeing. I do not have a high end camera.
post #20466 of 23409 Old 02-08-2018, 04:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4466 Post(s)
Liked: 3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbar View Post
Yea, you're probably to close for a 77". Simple solutions...backwall expansion..

Or...new place!
Can't justify contemplating the latter for TV (out of the cards financially now after a debilitating fracture in November). I like 3D and have really souped up the collection lately, but I'm also enjoying some UHD (streaming, a few discs). It was enough trouble getting this thin monster mounted, and the vertical banding is the only thing that would force me to make any setup changes at any point in the near to medium (and probably long) term.
Kenbar likes this.

Last edited by video_analysis; 02-08-2018 at 04:39 AM.
post #20467 of 23409 Old 02-08-2018, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7645 Post(s)
Liked: 7709
Quote:
No TV is totally uniform no-a-days.....
EyElouPeS likes this.
post #20468 of 23409 Old 02-09-2018, 12:45 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sphinx.

The Black & White slide is even less forgiving,..Bright and Dim can be altered by user settings or color calibration. However the visual places where the opposite color shows through completely for each eye can not be changed this way if you are at a fixed seating position.

This is caused by the screen applied filter limitation..... So the overall goal is to minimize or move those spots to a reasonable place, Hopefully enough by changing your distance, Height or viewing angle. Because those spots will represent where you will have crosstalk when the "perceptive depth" of a 3D movie is presented there. With that being said... Obviously if the movie is not projecting any 3D effect in those areas that requires filtering there will be no crosstalk, Because equal eye picture content looks the same with or without your glasses on....

I have wandered around my room with one eye closed everywhere. From inches away, To my Max of 9 feet within the limitations of my confines....
This result has been self proven and is always consistent , Regardless to what content source I view from. including the television's 2D-3D conversion feature.

**same as JK's slide, Right click on the photo below to save... But instead activate Side-By-Side mode, Then close one eye with the glasses on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CrosstalkTestPattern.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	2358136  
jk82 likes this.
post #20469 of 23409 Old 02-09-2018, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyElouPeS View Post
Sphinx.

The Black & White slide is even less forgiving,..Bright and Dim can be altered by user settings or color calibration. However the visual places where the opposite color shows through completely for each eye can not be changed this way if you are at a fixed seating position.

This is caused by the screen applied filter limitation..... So the overall goal is to minimize or move those spots to a reasonable place, Hopefully enough by changing your distance, Height or viewing angle. Because those spots will represent where you will have crosstalk when the "perceptive depth" of a 3D movie is presented there. With that being said... Obviously if the movie is not projecting any 3D effect in those areas that requires filtering there will be no crosstalk, Because equal eye picture content looks the same with or without your glasses on....

I have wandered around my room with one eye closed everywhere. From inches away, To my Max of 9 feet within the limitations of my confines....
This result has been self proven and is always consistent , Regardless to what content source I view from. including the television's 2D-3D conversion feature.

**same as JK's slide, Right click on the photo below to save... But instead activate Side-By-Side mode, Then close one eye with the glasses on.
Thank you. I will give this a go tonight.
post #20470 of 23409 Old 02-09-2018, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2141 Post(s)
Liked: 823
I was watching some grand tour on amazon in HDR and realized most of what I streamed on vudu was in DV. I believe for DV the consensus for most accurate is DV DARK?

For HDR, what does everyone use? I assume I want to use HDR STANDARD and turn off edge enhancer, motion, sharpness, etc?
post #20471 of 23409 Old 02-09-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Sphinx.

Pleased to say that from my viewing position on the couch all seemed to be fine. If I raised myself up 6 inches or so there were bright patches round the edges, so my TV must never be lower than it is (or I get a higher couch!).

Thanks to all that helped me with this. Much appreciated.

Last edited by sphinx5779; 02-09-2018 at 01:53 PM.
post #20472 of 23409 Old 02-09-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
I was watching some grand tour on amazon in HDR and realized most of what I streamed on vudu was in DV. I believe for DV the consensus for most accurate is DV DARK?

For HDR, what does everyone use? I assume I want to use HDR STANDARD and turn off edge enhancer, motion, sharpness, etc?
When I had mine calibrated the guy set it at HDR Standard, Sharpness 10, Edge Enhancer on. Everything else off. I used to use DV Bright but now use Dark as I was told it is the setting Dolby recommend.
post #20473 of 23409 Old 02-09-2018, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked: 1583
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinx5779 View Post
When I had mine calibrated the guy set it at HDR Standard, Sharpness 10, Edge Enhancer on. Everything else off. I used to use DV Bright but now use Dark as I was told it is the setting Dolby recommend.
Interesting that those PQ enhancements are ON when we usually always turn them off. I wonder what the sharpness and edge enhancer really do? Have you tried turning them off/on to do an A/B comparison? Curious. I might have to try that.

Quote:

My current HDR settings are:

HDR Bright
OLED Light: 85
Contrast: 92
Brightness: 52
Color: 52
Color Adj: G2
All Enhancements OFF
Real Cinema: ON
TruMotion: OFF

I might try Sharpness @ 10 and Edge Enhancer ON just to see what happens.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
LG UBK-90
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR

Last edited by RoadLizard; 02-09-2018 at 03:17 PM.
post #20474 of 23409 Old 02-10-2018, 01:21 AM

[QUOTE=RoadLizard;55664548]Interesting that those PQ enhancements are ON when we usually always turn them off. I wonder what the sharpness and edge enhancer really do? Have you tried turning them off/on to do an A/B comparison? Curious. I might have to try that.

I have tried turning them off and to be honest could not see any difference. I ended up just leaving them on as the calibrator intended. All picture modes on my TV have these on.
post #20475 of 23409 Old 02-10-2018, 02:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Edge enhancer seems to be tied to sharpness. At sharpness 10 I can't see it do anything, not even on test pattern but once you crank up sharpness then you will see edge enhancer do some additional sharpening when turning it on and off.
post #20476 of 23409 Old 02-10-2018, 04:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Edge enhancer seems to be tied to sharpness. At sharpness 10 I can't see it do anything, not even on test pattern but once you crank up sharpness then you will see edge enhancer do some additional sharpening when turning it on and off.
Seems like they can be left off then without losing anything. I might try them anyways for the hell of it. Can always change it back.

LG UBK-90
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #20477 of 23409 Old 02-10-2018, 05:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I never updated my E6 to the latest firmware with HLG HDR because I wanted to keep the brighter HDR game mode.

However, with all these Olympics and other shows on Directv in 4K HDR I am really contemplating updating to get best cable tv pictures.

Ah, what to do!
post #20478 of 23409 Old 02-10-2018, 08:04 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinx5779 View Post
Quote:
Sphinx.

Pleased to say that from my viewing position on the couch all seemed to be fine. If I raised myself up 6 inches or so there were bright patches round the edges, so my TV must never be lower than it is (or I get a higher couch!).

Thanks to all that helped me with this. Much appreciated.
In my case eye level at about 1/4 from the bottom of the screen is about right. Also correspond with the official guidance to not tilt down. I only need to do that if I sit on the floor if say with family visiting that won't all fit on the one sofa so I take one for the team
post #20479 of 23409 Old 02-10-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdack View Post
In my case eye level at about 1/4 from the bottom of the screen is about right. Also correspond with the official guidance to not tilt down. I only need to do that if I sit on the floor if say with family visiting that won't all fit on the one sofa so I take one for the team
I think you are right. My eye level is about 1/3 up from the bottom of the screen which is a stroke of luck as if I go beyond about 1/2 way cross talk starts to show.
chrisdack likes this.
post #20480 of 23409 Old 02-10-2018, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by veger69 View Post
I’m trying to get smart tv to work on my OLED65G6P! I have the TV on HDMI 2 the arc input. I have audio set to ARC in the tv and CEC on.
On the AVM60, I have an input set for Video - None, Audio in ARC hdmi return channel. General settings I have CEC control on. No sound!
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Did you ever fix this? I've had my TV setup for months working fine and this just started happening today. Tried making sure my settings weren't changed and re-did the HDMI cables without success.

Curious...

Michael
post #20481 of 23409 Old 02-11-2018, 06:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Did the latest update 05.30.02 add or change anything besides:

1) dimmer hdr game mode
2) HLG hdr
3) new screensaver backgrounds

Just asking because my tv is calibrated.
post #20482 of 23409 Old 02-11-2018, 07:51 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:

1) dimmer hdr game mode
2) HLG hdr

Yes

From lg UK website for e6. But to add... The HDR game mode correctly doesn't clip highlights and with DC off is plenty bright enough for nighttime viewing I feel

3. Release History
[04.30.65]
1) Freeview Play Support in UK
2) Apply the DVB-T2 system in Czech
3) To Improve auto-reboot problem with "This app will now restart to free up more memory"
phrases during watching Live TV in Spain
4) To Improve automatic channel number changes(over 850 channel) problem during watching Italy Rai channel
5) Fix MRCU Pairing Failure Issue

[04.30.90]
1. To apply HDR Game Mode

[04.30.95]
1. To improve color error issue at the bottom of the screen during HDMI 4K 3D On/Off.

[04.31.05]
1. Apply for R.E.D(Radio Equipment Directive) radio standard
2. Improved issue that HEVC channel number is rollback.

[05.30.10]
1. Fixed Juddering with HDMI 1080i 50Hz.
2. Fixed No Audio in BBC RB1 channel

Last edited by chrisdack; 02-11-2018 at 08:09 AM.
post #20483 of 23409 Old 02-11-2018, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdack View Post
Quote:

1) dimmer hdr game mode
2) HLG hdr

Yes

From lg UK website for e6. But to add... The HDR game mode correctly doesn't clip highlights and with DC off is plenty bright enough for nighttime viewing I feel

3. Release History
[04.30.65]
1) Freeview Play Support in UK
2) Apply the DVB-T2 system in Czech
3) To Improve auto-reboot problem with "This app will now restart to free up more memory"
phrases during watching Live TV in Spain
4) To Improve automatic channel number changes(over 850 channel) problem during watching Italy Rai channel
5) Fix MRCU Pairing Failure Issue

[04.30.90]
1. To apply HDR Game Mode

[04.30.95]
1. To improve color error issue at the bottom of the screen during HDMI 4K 3D On/Off.

[04.31.05]
1. Apply for R.E.D(Radio Equipment Directive) radio standard
2. Improved issue that HEVC channel number is rollback.

[05.30.10]
1. Fixed Juddering with HDMI 1080i 50Hz.
2. Fixed No Audio in BBC RB1 channel
What is the new screensaver? Like the 2017 models?

I think I read for new hdr game mode, calibrate in game sliders first, then turn dc on if needed?
post #20484 of 23409 Old 02-11-2018, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well I went ahead and updated. So questions for using HLG:

what hdr do you use? Bright or standard? Normal or wide color gamut?

As I understand standard with normal is the correct setting. However with bright and wide color gamut, the colors scream off the screen.
post #20485 of 23409 Old 02-11-2018, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

As I understand standard with normal is the correct setting. However with bright and wide color gamut, the colors scream off the screen.
I always use HDR Bright with Normal Color gamut selected. Wide doesnt look right to me. Ive done some A/B comparisons and the wide color gamut is too "off". Not garish, just off.

LG UBK-90
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #20486 of 23409 Old 02-11-2018, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
Quote:

I always use HDR Bright with Normal Color gamut selected. Wide doesnt look right to me. Ive done some A/B comparisons and the wide color gamut is too "off". Not garish, just off.
Hdr bright is pretty blue/cool vs. warm2 on standard.
post #20487 of 23409 Old 02-11-2018, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2409 Post(s)
Liked: 2746
HDR standard is the correct setting. The defaults are correct. No need to change anything besides turning off any motion enhancement nonsense.
post #20488 of 23409 Old 02-11-2018, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
HDR standard is the correct setting. The defaults are correct. No need to change anything besides turning off any motion enhancement nonsense.
Well I don?t think edge enhancer and sharpness at 10 are necessary so those are off as well.
post #20489 of 23409 Old 02-12-2018, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcucka View Post
Did you ever fix this? I've had my TV setup for months working fine and this just started happening today. Tried making sure my settings weren't changed and re-did the HDMI cables without success.

Curious...
Not yet waiting on lg to escalate the support
post #20490 of 23409 Old 02-12-2018, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I am moving soon and possibly selling my 65E6. Set is in great shape, approximately 4500 hours, and under warranty for 5 more months through LG. What's a reasonable price to ask?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
65e6p , 65G6P , dolby vision , OLED55C6P , OLED65E6P , vesa mount. shelving

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page