2016 LG OLED 65G6P and 65E6P Owners Thread - Page 717 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 87553Likes

post #21481 of 21956 Old 09-17-2018, 05:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Purchased my 65G6 in June of 2016.
Yesterday I noticed a thin vertical line, probably a pixel wide from top to bottom. I see it if i'm using an input or built-in app. I ran the screen tool last night when I went to bed, but problem still exists today.
I'm assuming it's the panel? Is this sometyhing even worth trying to get repaired?
Can't post pic as I never post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21482 of 21956 Old 09-17-2018, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 5356 Post(s)
Liked: 3766
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasbur View Post
Purchased my 65G6 in June of 2016.
Yesterday I noticed a thin vertical line, probably a pixel wide from top to bottom. I see it if i'm using an input or built-in app. I ran the screen tool last night when I went to bed, but problem still exists today.
I'm assuming it's the panel? Is this sometyhing even worth trying to get repaired?
Can't post pic as I never post.
It does sound like a bad panel. The cost of a new panel replacement will set you back at least $2000.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
post #21483 of 21956 Old 09-17-2018, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1082 Post(s)
Liked: 612
Watching the new 3D Jurassic park movie "Fallen Kingdom". Looks to be grain free with sharpness max and super resolution high. Crystal clear image. Have not seen any pop outs, but depth looks good, think most would classify it as medium...mostly. Unfortunately it is wide screen, like so many these days.

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21484 of 21956 Old 09-17-2018, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6340 Post(s)
Liked: 6340
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcartwright View Post
I am about to move to a new townhouse a couple towns down the road (about 12 miles). Are there any recommendations regarding transporting my 65E6P? My friend has offered the use of his mini-van so that I don't have to worry about what the movers will do to it (just what he will).

I have a vague recollection that it is supposed to be transported standing up rather than horizontal. Is this correct or am I thinking of not transporting it face down?

I kept the original packing materials and box.

Thanks in advance!
It is at least fragile point when upright. Good thing you have the box. For people who do not I would use the van, then hold it the whole time......
tcartwright and Kenbar like this.
post #21485 of 21956 Old 09-21-2018, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
do you game? is the hdr game mode still bright on this version?
It's not an isssue, they fixed it with newer FW releases.

OLED is a game changer.
post #21486 of 21956 Old 09-21-2018, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by enivid View Post
So are the DV issues all fixed now? If I buy the UB820 will I be good to go?
No issues with DV discs since the update. However, still issues with the ATV 4K and DV titles.
That's got to be because Apple is not actually sending Dolby vision. How else did they make it appear better before the official TV display fix? Apple probably re-encoded DV into regular HDR boundaries, or stripped out the metadata at source, keeping the logo. as I suspect the Sony profile with player led processing does. And now its permanent until Apple removes that.
Has anyone tested Apple DV Vs Apple HDR?
post #21487 of 21956 Old 09-22-2018, 04:12 AM

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyjklein View Post
So MS has begun adding Dolby Vision (DV) support to the Xbox One X/S platform but it doesn't support the 2016 LG models (see https://www.dolby.com/us/en/categori...compatible.pdf ). I've confrmed that my 2016 65E6P isn't working with the Xbox beta realease that adds DV support even with the latest updated LG firmware (.50).

MS explains that they're using "a newer DV profile" that the 2016 LG models don't support. Can anyone here explain this in more detail? Is there any chance that LG could add the new profile support in a future firmware update?

More than just a little annoyed over this!

Jeff
It's player lead Dolby Vision. they take some display details into the player and then do the heavy lifting of the process on the player for those displays without the processing hardware on board. Details are scarce but the sound of it they remap the dynamic bit of Dolby Vision brightness and contrast into the min/max nit space supported by the TV before sending... By then TV gets something almost like normal hdr but keeping the logo reducing reliance on display tone mapping.

Our TVs have the processing onboard so expect native Dolby Vision.
Sony called it a newer low latency version, and is probably true that the 100+ ms of processing that our TV would take to process is excessive for gaming. But the processing needs to happen somewhere although it is possible the Xbox can do it quicker than the TV.

Blame Sony for not coughing up the $ for the chips and finding a workaround with Dolby. Nag Microsoft to get them to just send the native Dolby Vision and let the display figure it out. Ask LG to implement bypass for the tone mapping if you like but I wouldn't count on it being faster.
post #21488 of 21956 Old 09-22-2018, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6340 Post(s)
Liked: 6340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic View Post
I don’t remember Chad touching the service menu for my E6, he also didn’t do anything for Dolby vision since there’s no way to calibrate it.
I "think" that is only if the set is way out of wack, he would go in service menu.
post #21489 of 21956 Old 09-23-2018, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic View Post
I don’t remember Chad touching the service menu for my E6, he also didn’t do anything for Dolby vision since there’s no way to calibrate it.

The trick for calibrating for Dolby Vision on these models is through the service menu. You can recalibrate one of the designated color temp settings using Dolby Vision slides and save it. When watching DV content, just make sure the color temp is on the one you calibrated and don't use that "temp" for anything else.

LG OLED65E6P - Sony 85X900F - Marantz SR7013 - Rotel 1075 - Oppo UDP-203 - Panasonic UB820 - Roku Ultra - B&W 704, HTM7, CWM663, RSL C34E, GE SuperSub X - Vincent PHO-700 - VPI Traveler
My Theater
x43x.com
post #21490 of 21956 Old 09-23-2018, 09:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by x43x View Post
The trick for calibrating for Dolby Vision on these models is through the service menu. You can recalibrate one of the designated color temp settings using Dolby Vision slides and save it. When watching DV content, just make sure the color temp is on the one you calibrated and don't use that "temp" for anything else.
If you go into SM it will kick you out of DV. You can't display DV slides while in the SM.

post #21491 of 21956 Old 09-23-2018, 10:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
If you go into SM it will kick you out of DV. You can't display DV slides while in the SM.
Tyler Pruit must be extra sneaky then, cause he did it on mine. I had to wait a few weeks actually to get it calibrated while Tyler and SpectraCal ironed out a proper method with LG.

LG OLED65E6P - Sony 85X900F - Marantz SR7013 - Rotel 1075 - Oppo UDP-203 - Panasonic UB820 - Roku Ultra - B&W 704, HTM7, CWM663, RSL C34E, GE SuperSub X - Vincent PHO-700 - VPI Traveler
My Theater
x43x.com

Last edited by x43x; 09-23-2018 at 10:16 PM.
post #21492 of 21956 Old 09-24-2018, 01:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by x43x View Post
Tyler Pruit must be extra sneaky then, cause he did it on mine. I had to wait a few weeks actually to get it calibrated while Tyler and SpectraCal ironed out a proper method with LG.
Probably entered a different SM code that gives greater access.

post #21493 of 21956 Old 10-01-2018, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdack View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyjklein View Post
So MS has begun adding Dolby Vision (DV) support to the Xbox One X/S platform but it doesn't support the 2016 LG models (see https://www.dolby.com/us/en/categori...compatible.pdf ). I've confrmed that my 2016 65E6P isn't working with the Xbox beta realease that adds DV support even with the latest updated LG firmware (.50).

MS explains that they're using "a newer DV profile" that the 2016 LG models don't support. Can anyone here explain this in more detail? Is there any chance that LG could add the new profile support in a future firmware update?

More than just a little annoyed over this!

Jeff
It's player lead Dolby Vision. they take some display details into the player and then do the heavy lifting of the process on the player for those displays without the processing hardware on board. Details are scarce but the sound of it they remap the dynamic bit of Dolby Vision brightness and contrast into the min/max nit space supported by the TV before sending... By then TV gets something almost like normal hdr but keeping the logo reducing reliance on display tone mapping.

Our TVs have the processing onboard so expect native Dolby Vision.
Sony called it a newer low latency version, and is probably true that the 100+ ms of processing that our TV would take to process is excessive for gaming. But the processing needs to happen somewhere although it is possible the Xbox can do it quicker than the TV.

Blame Sony for not coughing up the $ for the chips and finding a workaround with Dolby. Nag Microsoft to get them to just send the native Dolby Vision and let the display figure it out. Ask LG to implement bypass for the tone mapping if you like but I wouldn't count on it being faster.
Weak...Will start the harassment...
Sorax likes this.
post #21494 of 21956 Old 10-05-2018, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Going on almost 3 years and still the best damn TV I have ever owned....

LG 65" OLED65E6P (603 Build Date)
OPPO Udp‑203 Ultra HD BLU‑RAY Disc Player
Denon 720W
post #21495 of 21956 Old 10-06-2018, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1419 Post(s)
Liked: 1403
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMatthews View Post
Going on almost 3 years and still the best damn TV I have ever owned....
Amen. For once, I am satisfied enough that I dont even read reviews about new TVs or even bother keeping up on the latest and greatest. Its THAT good. The PQ is still stunning and feels fresh to this day and mine will be 2 years old in December. Zero issues. Fabulous 3D. With some small tweaks Ive even got the near blacks good enough that its hardly a weakness. Motion handling isnt the best but thats not a major hang up for me. I have that dialed in well enough too. Im going to have this set for a very long time, me thinks.

Now, my audio system needs a little overhaul but thats for another time.

Its all good.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
LG UBK-90, Samsung UBD-8500K
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #21496 of 21956 Old 10-06-2018, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
Amen. For once, I am satisfied enough that I dont even read reviews about new TVs or even bother keeping up on the latest and greatest. Its THAT good. The PQ is still stunning and feels fresh to this day and mine will be 2 years old in December. Zero issues. Fabulous 3D. With some small tweaks Ive even got the near blacks good enough that its hardly a weakness. Motion handling isnt the best but thats not a major hang up for me. I have that dialed in well enough too. Im going to have this set for a very long time, me thinks.

Now, my audio system needs a little overhaul but thats for another time.

Its all good.

I agree. I use to buy a TV just about every year for the advances. That is especially true for 3D TVs as the earlier sets with active 3D were not bright enough. Then along came the E6. The only thing I would like better than that, was to have a larger screen (LG OLED 3D 77"). I've been wanting a larger set for years but it never happened due to the high price. I think about that often.
post #21497 of 21956 Old 10-06-2018, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post
I agree. I use to buy a TV just about every year for the advances. That is especially true for 3D TVs as the earlier sets with active 3D were not bright enough. Then along came the E6. The only thing I would like better than that, was to have a larger screen (LG OLED 3D 77"). I've been wanting a larger set for years but it never happened due to the high price. I think about that often.
I wouldn't have sold my E6 if its resale value wasn't high and the 77C8 hadn't dropped significantly in price. The 3D on it was the best...but I didn't watch enough of it to not upgrade to the larger screen. Now with that out of the way, I didn't expect the SDR and HDR picture quality to be much better than the E6, but it is. My dad upgraded from a C6 to a C8 also and he agrees about the improvements. Don't get me wrong, I miss the 3D but the upgrade in overall PQ is more than worth it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #21498 of 21956 Old 10-06-2018, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2025 Post(s)
Liked: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbass2k View Post
Quote:
I wouldn't have sold my E6 if its resale value wasn't high and the 77C8 hadn't dropped significantly in price. The 3D on it was the best...but I didn't watch enough of it to not upgrade to the larger screen. Now with that out of the way, I didn't expect the SDR and HDR picture quality to be much better than the E6, but it is. My dad upgraded from a C6 to a C8 also and he agrees about the improvements. Don't get me wrong, I miss the 3D but the upgrade in overall PQ is more than worth it.

What’s your take on sub 1080p like cable upsclaing in C8 vs. E6?
jbug likes this.
post #21499 of 21956 Old 10-07-2018, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1419 Post(s)
Liked: 1403
Quote:
Yep - the only thing I wish was the I could have swung a 77" set. That would have been video nirvana for me. But, Ill "suffer" with my 65" e6 for a while. Next time around Ill go for a monster....

Quote:

Understood - I think the PQ on ym E6 is good enough for me for quite some time but no question improvements will happen with every generation of OLED. Im not the biggest 3D fan in the world but its too much to give up which would be a must if I were to upgrade. I get that at some point Ill have to forego the 3D but Im nowhere near ready yet.
tbass2k likes this.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
LG UBK-90, Samsung UBD-8500K
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #21500 of 21956 Old 10-07-2018, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, with the 77" I am able to see more of the compression that Directv uses but I also see more detail than on the 65e6 i had before. I think overall it cleans up a bad signal better than the 2016 sets. Shadow detail and motion is much better on these new sets also.

post #21501 of 21956 Old 10-07-2018, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Well, with the 77" I am able to see more of the compression that Directv uses but I also see more detail than on the 65e6 i had before. I think overall it cleans up a bad signal better than the 2016 sets. Shadow detail and motion is much better on these new sets also.

Is there a lot of noise in dark scenes in the shadows or blacks? Like microblocking?
post #21502 of 21956 Old 10-07-2018, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Is there a lot of noise in dark scenes in the shadows or blacks? Like microblocking?
No, much better now, but as you know it mostly depends on the source.....garbage in garbage out.

post #21503 of 21956 Old 10-07-2018, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
No, much better now, but as you know it mostly depends on the source.....garbage in garbage out.

True but even some LCDs had processing the turn the noise into black at least instead of a blocky mess.
post #21504 of 21956 Old 10-07-2018, 07:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
True but even some LCDs had processing the turn the noise into black at least instead of a blocky mess.
You're right

post #21505 of 21956 Old 10-07-2018, 11:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Quote:

Was it intentional processing...or just a result of LCD’s being unable to show proper blacks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
post #21506 of 21956 Old 10-08-2018, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Yeah! Glad to see this thread come back to life for a bit. I must tell this story.

I put in one of the old Miss Marple black and white movies (with Margaret Rutherford) the other night. It was a DVD playing in a Sony X700. A friend came walking through the room and asked if what I was watching was 4K. I said the TV was 4K but it was a DVD being upscaled. Because of the deep, deep blacks and the excellent DVD transfer from Warners being upscaled by the Sony player, it fooled him into thinking it was a 4K release of the film! He couldn't get over the picture quality from a DVD. He's now actively shopping for an OLED!
post #21507 of 21956 Old 10-08-2018, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Stirling View Post
Was it intentional processing...or just a result of LCD’s being unable to show proper blacks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
well sony's processing as always been able to clean up and upscale better than anyone else. though there was a video from HDTV test showing on the 2017s they has a big improvement in cleaning up lower blacks/greys.
post #21508 of 21956 Old 10-08-2018, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'm thinking about letting my 65E6P go... it's been sitting in my grandpa's basement in Southern IL since May and I just moved to Colorado and have no plans of trying to transport it. Went ahead and bought a 55B7 to hold me down for the time being but I could really use a 65 for the suze of my living room. Considering what they are going for on ebay I might just go that route if I can get retail back and buy another TV later evrn though I will miss 3D. What is the best route of going about shipping? I no longer have the original box. Can I just take it to the UPS Store and have them pack and ship it? How much do you think that would cost?
post #21509 of 21956 Old 10-08-2018, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1082 Post(s)
Liked: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlaughterX View Post
I'm thinking about letting my 65E6P go... it's been sitting in my grandpa's basement in Southern IL since May and I just moved to Colorado and have no plans of trying to transport it. Went ahead and bought a 55B7 to hold me down for the time being but I could really use a 65 for the suze of my living room. Considering what they are going for on ebay I might just go that route if I can get retail back and buy another TV later evrn though I will miss 3D. What is the best route of going about shipping? I no longer have the original box. Can I just take it to the UPS Store and have them pack and ship it? How much do you think that would cost?
Maybe try an add on Craigslist for a while, see if there are any local buyers in Southern IL? Your grandma deserves a nice meal if she sells it for you.

I just bought a used LG UF8500 3D TV (2015 model). Put it right in front of my Oled...and unplugged the Oled...save it for the future. So 3D crazy people like me do buy used 3D tv's as back-ups.

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.

Last edited by Kenbar; 10-08-2018 at 10:03 PM.
post #21510 of 21956 Old 10-08-2018, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlaughterX View Post
I would try for a local sale. If I recall, UPS won't insure a big value item like that unless it is packed in its original box. I may be wrong there, but even if I had the original box for it, I'd be wary of shipping it and having it damaged in transit. I got lucky this summer and found a great condition 65E6 on eBay that was located in the middle of nowhere Virginia and used the Roadie app (kind of like Uber for shipping stuff) and found someone to pick it up in its original box and drive it down to me in Georgia. I was nervous, but it turned out great. But seeing as you don't have the original box, I'd definitely lean to the local sale and have someone come pick it up. Just my 2 cents.
mttpalmer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
65e6p , 65G6P , dolby vision , OLED55C6P , OLED65E6P , vesa mount. shelving

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page