2016 LG OLED 65G6P and 65E6P Owners Thread - Page 731 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 87569Likes

post #21901 of 21983 Old 05-20-2019, 09:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
I'm not saying one should use it or not. Just my observation with the new FW. Prior to this FW, when using DC, it would crush the near blacks with DV. Now it does not. It works similar to using DC on low with HDR10. I would not use DC with SDR material as it still crushes blacks and blows out highlights.

Hmm ... but it sounds like that is the setting (LOW) that you will be using for DC for DV? I only ask because I respect your knowledge and judgment and I'm less inclined to do that type of testing myself (partly because I don't have very much DV source content and am not even entirely sure what to look for).

So was DC for HDR10 recommended as being LOW all along? My calibrator set it as OFF, but the calibration was done back in May 2017. I'm wondering if with the numerous FW updates over the last couple of years plus with LG monkeying around with the various controls (like this most recent example of DC for DV) that at one point in time DC was best left as OFF for HDR10 before a later FW update changed how it worked (i.e. making LOW preferable)? Either that or maybe because the collective knowledge on how HDR works for these 2016 LG OLEDs has evolved over time...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21902 of 21983 Old 05-21-2019, 01:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 5360 Post(s)
Liked: 3770
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmoney View Post
Hmm ... but it sounds like that is the setting (LOW) that you will be using for DC for DV? I only ask because I respect your knowledge and judgment and I'm less inclined to do that type of testing myself (partly because I don't have very much DV source content and am not even entirely sure what to look for).

So was DC for HDR10 recommended as being LOW all along? My calibrator set it as OFF, but the calibration was done back in May 2017. I'm wondering if with the numerous FW updates over the last couple of years plus with LG monkeying around with the various controls (like this most recent example of DC for DV) that at one point in time DC was best left as OFF for HDR10 before a later FW update changed how it worked (i.e. making LOW preferable)? Either that or maybe because the collective knowledge on how HDR works for these 2016 LG OLEDs has evolved over time...
I haven't decided yet if DC on low with DV will be my choice. I will have to play around with it some more to see how it affects the overall image. The 2016 models are LG's first attempt with DV, so I would imagine with the 2017, 2018 and 2019 models, they kept improving it, same with HDR10. There is no way to calibrate DV on the 2016 models so we are stuck with whatever we have without really knowing if the picture is accurate or not. IMO, these 2016 models are best for SDR material. Although the image does have better color with HDR and DV material, there still seems to be issues such as black crush with HDR and DV, that I prefer SDR blu ray.
edmoney likes this.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
post #21903 of 21983 Old 05-21-2019, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
I haven't decided yet if DC on low with DV will be my choice. I will have to play around with it some more to see how it affects the overall image. The 2016 models are LG's first attempt with DV, so I would imagine with the 2017, 2018 and 2019 models, they kept improving it, same with HDR10. There is no way to calibrate DV on the 2016 models so we are stuck with whatever we have without really knowing if the picture is accurate or not. IMO, these 2016 models are best for SDR material. Although the image does have better color with HDR and DV material, there still seems to be issues such as black crush with HDR and DV, that I prefer SDR blu ray.

Thanks. After you've had a chance to play around with DC and DV some more, I'd be curious to hear your updated thoughts.

Following up on my previous question, do you happen to know if LG changed how DC works for HDR10 during the last couple of years through a FW update such that "off" was the recommended setting at one point and then later "low" became recommended? Also, does DC work independently of the other control settings (e.g. Brightness, Contrast, etc.) so that toggling it on and off doesn't require readjusting those other settings to balance things out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21904 of 21983 Old 05-21-2019, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 56
This new firmware has fixed any issues I had with my 77g6p. There is no more weird stuttering, bluring, I think details are bette. I am finally happy. It is far superior then any plasma

Mo
post #21905 of 21983 Old 05-21-2019, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmoney View Post
Thanks. After you've had a chance to play around with DC and DV some more, I'd be curious to hear your updated thoughts.

Following up on my previous question, do you happen to know if LG changed how DC works for HDR10 during the last couple of years through a FW update such that "off" was the recommended setting at one point and then later "low" became recommended? Also, does DC work independently of the other control settings (e.g. Brightness, Contrast, etc.) so that toggling it on and off doesn't require readjusting those other settings to balance things out?
I don't use DC with HDR10. I always force HDR10 to play as DV on my OPPO 203.
edmoney likes this.

post #21906 of 21983 Old 05-27-2019, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Was really hesitant to update (after a recent FW update bricked by 2013 LG LCD) and also didn't much care about the security update but after reading some benefits here went ahead anyway. While I haven't looked closely yet to see the benefits, I am really glad that my E6 didn't have the same fate as LM7600
Tomcup likes this.
post #21907 of 21983 Old 05-28-2019, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Does anyone have recommended picture settings for the E6? (Particularly for HDR/DV?)

Apologies in advance for asking ... this thread has over 21,000 posts and 700 pages, plus several firmware updates along the way ... yikes ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My neighbors all listen to great music. Whether they like it or not.
post #21908 of 21983 Old 05-29-2019, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg4vfx View Post
Does anyone have recommended picture settings for the E6? (Particularly for HDR/DV?)

Apologies in advance for asking ... this thread has over 21,000 posts and 700 pages, plus several firmware updates along the way ... yikes ...
Oppo has been changing the alternatives for DV settings.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch
post #21909 of 21983 Old 05-29-2019, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post
Oppo has been changing the alternatives for DV settings.
Do the TV's DV settings differ depending on the device providing picture?

post #21910 of 21983 Old 05-29-2019, 09:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

One can not calibrate DV with the 2016 models. So the best you can do is use the default settings. I use DV bright room as my default.

post #21911 of 21983 Old 05-29-2019, 09:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 430
The service menu allows for some control over Dolby vision. My calibrator got rid of the green tint my Dolby vision image had out of the box.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
wxman and mttpalmer like this.
post #21912 of 21983 Old 05-29-2019, 10:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Stirling View Post
The service menu allows for some control over Dolby vision. My calibrator got rid of the green tint my Dolby vision image had out of the box.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Quote:
One can not calibrate DV with the 2016 models. So the best you can do is use the default settings. I use DV bright room as my default.
Gotcha re Dolby Vision. Can regular HDR be calibrated?

Recently purchased the 65E6 used (less than 700 hrs). This TV (and OLED) is new to me so I'm just looking for common starting points for basic picture settings (hopefully for SDR and HDR). The only settings I've found online date to 2016 and from things I've read there have been some significant changes since then via firmware updates.

What I'm looking for ...

Picture Mode

OLED Light
Contrast
Brightness
Sharpness
Color
Tint

Color Gamut
Gamma
WhiteBalance>ColorTemperature

Black Level

post #21913 of 21983 Old 05-30-2019, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Do the TV's DV settings differ depending on the device providing picture?
The LG Oled 65e6p is the only 4K display that I have and it appears that is the display you have.

I have the Oppo UDP-203 connected with CEC to e6p so when I turn on the Oppo it turns on the TV which comes up with a setup menu. On the setup menu go to the video output settings and arrow right to the HDR settings. Click on the HDR settings and you will get a sub menu. If you click on HDR settings you will get a choice of auto or TV-LED or Player LED. I suggest you try each selection and see what works best for you.

I have to select TV-LED which is counter intuitive as the TV is an OLED. If I set it to Auto I get a heavy pink tint.

Please post what looks best to you.

Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch

Last edited by Postmoderndesign; 05-30-2019 at 06:49 AM.
post #21914 of 21983 Old 05-30-2019, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
I may pursue this service menu fix. I noticed the green tint the other day watching a Netflix movie. I went into the Settings menu to fix and the Tint was grayed out.

I just wonder how I'll know how far to adjust when in the service menu; it's not like I have DV test patterns to use with my meter.

Also, is the service menu fix specific to DV, or is it a broad-based color adjustment that affects all modes (SDR, HDR, and DV)?

OLED55E6P (609 build)
Denon X2400H
KEF Q100 L/R/C, SVS SB12-NSD
XB1S, Roku Ultra
post #21915 of 21983 Old 05-30-2019, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mttpalmer View Post
I may pursue this service menu fix. I noticed the green tint the other day watching a Netflix movie. I went into the Settings menu to fix and the Tint was grayed out.

I just wonder how I'll know how far to adjust when in the service menu; it's not like I have DV test patterns to use with my meter.

Also, is the service menu fix specific to DV, or is it a broad-based color adjustment that affects all modes (SDR, HDR, and DV)?

Yeah it affects all modes. The calibrator will usually 2 point white balance in the service menu. This then provides a base for the rest of the calibration. I wouldn’t go near it without a meter though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mttpalmer likes this.
post #21916 of 21983 Old 05-30-2019, 11:31 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5783 Post(s)
Liked: 8256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post
The LG Oled 65e6p is the only 4K display that I have and it appears that is the display you have.

I have the Oppo UDP-203 connected with CEC to e6p so when I turn on the Oppo it turns on the TV which comes up with a setup menu. On the setup menu go to the video output settings and arrow right to the HDR settings. Click on the HDR settings and you will get a sub menu. If you click on HDR settings you will get a choice of auto or TV-LED or Player LED. I suggest you try each selection and see what works best for you.

I have to select TV-LED which is counter intuitive as the TV is an OLED. If I set it to Auto I get a heavy pink tint.

Please post what looks best to you.
You misunderstand the OPPO setting. "TV-LED" means the processing is done by (i.e., led by) the TV, as opposed to being done in the player. It does NOT mean the TV is an LED/LCD style TV.

AUTO should work in the OPPO, but there is a bug in the current OPPO firmware -- arising from an unexpected change made by Dolby in their Dolby Vision processing engine -- which breaks it, so you have to make the choice explicitly at the moment. Dolby Vision: TV-LED in the OPPO is the correct choice for use with your LG E6P panel.
--Bob
EyElouPeS likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #21917 of 21983 Old 05-30-2019, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Yeah it affects all modes. The calibrator will usually 2 point white balance in the service menu. This then provides a base for the rest of the calibration. I wouldn’t go near it without a meter though!
Thanks. I'll have to redo my SDR calibration (with my meter), but that's just more fun, right?
Andrew Stirling likes this.

OLED55E6P (609 build)
Denon X2400H
KEF Q100 L/R/C, SVS SB12-NSD
XB1S, Roku Ultra
post #21918 of 21983 Old 05-30-2019, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
You misunderstand the OPPO setting. "TV-LED" means the processing is done by (i.e., led by) the TV, as opposed to being done in the player. It does NOT mean the TV is an LED/LCD style TV.

AUTO should work in the OPPO, but there is a bug in the current OPPO firmware -- arising from an unexpected change made by Dolby in their Dolby Vision processing engine -- which breaks it, so you have to make the choice explicitly at the moment. Dolby Vision: TV-LED in the OPPO is the correct choice for use with your LG E6P panel.
--Bob
Thanks Bob. Sometimes I do the right thing even when I do not understand what I am doing.

post #21919 of 21983 Old 05-31-2019, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question

Is there a way to disable the firmware update available notification that pops up every time you turn on the tv? I never found a setting to stop this, and the tv eventually beats me down til I update the firmware. I'd rather not install this new update if I do not need to...
post #21920 of 21983 Old 05-31-2019, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelvh View Post
Bought an "Amazon Certified Refurbished" OLED C6P 65 with a 90-day warranty, but have reported a vertical line of discolouration problem and heard no advice on actually how the set will be fixed. I'm a 3D fan, and would prefer to keep the set as I know they go for a premium - but not sure about if/how the vertical line can be fixed. Has anyone had success with a vertical line fading? disappearing? I've tried 'Clear Panel Noise' and Firmware/reset update - I would say the line faded from it's first appearance, but doesn't inspire great confidence.
I had a vertical line of discolouration. One look at that, and LG authorized a replacement for the OLED panel. They did not mess around with any kind of procedures for resets and updates and settings. Just straight to panel replacement.
post #21921 of 21983 Old 05-31-2019, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4768
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-dogg View Post
Is there a way to disable the firmware update available notification that pops up every time you turn on the tv? I never found a setting to stop this, and the tv eventually beats me down til I update the firmware. I'd rather not install this new update if I do not need to...
I have the same question - starting to get the same notification on my C6.

I'm currently on 5.30.30 and it's offering me 5.30.60 in the update - is there any reason to accept this update? Is there any summary anywhere about what fixes/changes are contained in 5.30.60?
post #21922 of 21983 Old 05-31-2019, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I got the update 2 days ago (California) and i did not notice any difference. The only strange message I got was "updating the magic remote".
post #21923 of 21983 Old 05-31-2019, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4768
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince48 View Post
I got the update 2 days ago (California) and i did not notice any difference. The only strange message I got was "updating the magic remote".
Wow, so no discussion yet about what is in FW 5.30.60 yet?
post #21924 of 21983 Old 05-31-2019, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Wow, so no discussion yet about what is in FW 5.30.60 yet?

At this stage, pretty much all updates will be for minor issues. The TVs are over 3 years old after all. The LG changelog has always been notoriously useless so I doubt people will have any clue whatsoever about what is in firmware updates. They might not even fix anything relevant to your region.

You’ll occasionally see posts from people claiming that motion has improved or that near black processing is better but that’s pretty much always down to the placebo effect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
DougDingle, Mgibsoj, wxman and 1 others like this.
post #21925 of 21983 Old 06-05-2019, 03:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked: 1407
Quote:
Gotcha re Dolby Vision. Can regular HDR be calibrated?

Recently purchased the 65E6 used (less than 700 hrs). This TV (and OLED) is new to me so I'm just looking for common starting points for basic picture settings (hopefully for SDR and HDR). The only settings I've found online date to 2016 and from things I've read there have been some significant changes since then via firmware updates.

What I'm looking for ...

Picture Mode

OLED Light
Contrast
Brightness
Sharpness
Color
Tint

Color Gamut
Gamma
WhiteBalance>ColorTemperature

Black Level
Send me a PM and I’ll send you what my settings are for various modes. I have the 2016 model and am very happy with the PQ.
samchitwood likes this.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
LG UBK-90, Samsung UBD-8500K
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #21926 of 21983 Old 06-06-2019, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince48 View Post
Does anyone know how to check if a magic remote was updated?
post #21927 of 21983 Old 06-06-2019, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSTNFAN View Post
Does anyone know how to check if a magic remote was updated?
I never got that pop up message on my remote saying it was being updated, and I installed the FW weeks ago. The remote works just fine, so I'm not even worried about it. There is no way to check if the remote was updated.

post #21928 of 21983 Old 06-07-2019, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Quote:
I never got that pop up message on my remote saying it was being updated, and I installed the FW weeks ago. The remote works just fine, so I'm not even worried about it. There is no way to check if the remote was updated.

I also saw the message on the TV screen about the magic remote being updated.

Marantz AV8802A | Wyred 4 Sound (500W X 3, 250W X 2) | Marantz MM7025 (140W X 2) | Oppo UDP-203 | Roon ROCK Music Server | ATV4K | Vero 4K+ | LG OLED 65E6P | MiniDSP DDRC-88A | Oppo PM1's | APC H-15 power conditioners (x2) | GoldenEar Triton 1's (FL & FR) | SuperCenter XL (C) | Aon 2's (SL & SR) | SuperSat 3's (FHL & FHR) | SVS PB13-Ultra | Unraid NAS 40TB
post #21929 of 21983 Old 06-09-2019, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
Send me a PM and I’ll send you what my settings are for various modes. I have the 2016 model and am very happy with the PQ.
Sending PM.

Thanks much for the offer to share your settings.
RoadLizard likes this.
post #21930 of 21983 Old 06-11-2019, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Well, after 3 wonderful years my 65E6P is toast. I started to see noticeable image retention before the 2.5 year mark. Now at 3 years and almost 9000 hours it has so many bad pixels that parts of my screen look like paint was thrown on them during certain scenes. I have a large splatter like spot on my panel where yellow does not work. Anything yellow on this part of the screen shows up as green. Considering I have kids who watch animated movies all the time, it's very easy to see. Imagine watching the Minions movie and the little guys looking like they are covered in green paint spots.

Despite the fact that the TV only came with a 1 yr warranty, LG acknowledges this is an issue and has offered to replace the panel, not the TV, for free. However, since they don't make 3D panels anymore I will loose all 3D capability. Really a shame since this TV was the best 3D picture ever, way above theater quality.

I'd say anyone looking to buy OLED needs a Best Buy caliber replacement warranty. Squaretrade is not worth the paper it is printed on. They won't cover image retention or any panel related issues. They even told me they consider my warranty with them voided because of the "burn in". Thankfully I got square trade from Costco for only $90, who gave me a full refund 3 years after purchase.

Last edited by AmiraTech; 06-11-2019 at 07:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
65e6p , 65G6P , dolby vision , OLED55C6P , OLED65E6P , vesa mount. shelving

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page