2016 LG OLED 65G6P and 65E6P Owners Thread - Page 734 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 87577Likes

post #21991 of 22017 Old 08-10-2019, 08:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
BI can be more noticeable with certain colors. Go to the youtube app, and search for different color slides. Look at 100% red screen, blue screen, green screen and yellow screen. If you always see it on any of those slides, or if it looks more obvious on a certain color, it's burn in.

Yeah, did the color test on Youtube. A video that changed color periodically. The circle was quite obvious on most of the colors. I also noticed burn-in in other parts of the screen I didn't know I had. This really sucks.

I suppose there is nothing that can be done about this? The tv is still under warranty, could it still be potentially image retention and not actual burn-in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21992 of 22017 Old 08-11-2019, 12:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 5376 Post(s)
Liked: 3789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbun View Post
Yeah, did the color test on Youtube. A video that changed color periodically. The circle was quite obvious on most of the colors. I also noticed burn-in in other parts of the screen I didn't know I had. This really sucks.

I suppose there is nothing that can be done about this? The tv is still under warranty, could it still be potentially image retention and not actual burn-in?
Yea, that's BI. Who did you buy the tv from? If BB, the warranty covers burn in. If not BB, check with the company that gave you the warranty. I would make a claim either way.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
post #21993 of 22017 Old 08-11-2019, 04:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:

Isn't image retention just a marketing term for burn in.......Burn in sounds harsh, image retention sounds like something good.

Either way I would get on the horn where you bought it, especially if its under warranty, get everything in writing. Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21994 of 22017 Old 08-11-2019, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Yea, that's BI. Who did you buy the tv from? If BB, the warranty covers burn in. If not BB, check with the company that gave you the warranty. I would make a claim either way.

I bought the TV through Value Electronics. Ironically, I went through them because they offered a service to 'break-in' the television, to have a much higher chance to avoid things like burn-in. From what I was reading, and what they told me, you are most likely going to experience burn-in within the first 100 hours life of the television. So they 'broke it in'. So much for that. The service also included optimizing the television (optimizing isn't the word, but can't remember what it was called now).

The warranty is through Mack Worldwide Warranty, and it specifically indicates it does not cover burn-in. My tv is actually not even 3 1/2 years old, I bought it in May of 2016.

Such a shame, I've loved my television so far until now and have had no plans on getting rid of it. But if I'm noticing this burn-in this soon, not sure what I will need to do. The irony of it all, with the other burn-in I noticed during the color presentation (on Youtube), I was able to attribute what those went to. It was from a game I've played a great deal of. However, you don't see that burn-in at all on normal viewing. It's that circle that you sometimes notice, which is much more obvious on the color presentation, and I have no idea what it could be burned in from. There is nothing that I have shown on the TV that has shown that circle which would cause that shape and where the location is at.

Thanks for your help.
post #21995 of 22017 Old 08-11-2019, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 226
LG has a specific dept to address your issues as an exception to their mfg warranty. Many have claimed they came through for them. Even some that were not original owners and had bought third party. Try their concierge dept.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #21996 of 22017 Old 08-11-2019, 07:20 PM

Well, I ran "Clear Panel Noise" on my TV and checked the color slides again on YouTube. Running it helped a great deal. All the miscellaneous, what I thought as burn-in, on the rest of the screen is practically gone. If you look VERY closely, you can see maybe one small bar or another area that has a dotted/dashed line (from my game). But again, you do have to look extremely close, where before it was quite obvious. Which makes me think this was all IR (image retention) now.

However, the one thing that remains is the circle. Although it "is" better (so it could be IR as well?). It isn't as bold as before, and I cannot see it in normal television viewing any longer, only on the YouTube color slides.

I really am wondering if I should contact my warranty department or even LG now, considering I can't even see it on normal viewing any longer. Would running the "Clear Panel Noise" again help it even more?
post #21997 of 22017 Old 08-19-2019, 07:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
I really am wondering if I should contact my warranty department or even LG now, considering I can't even see it on normal viewing any longer. Would running the "Clear Panel Noise" again help it even more?
If you like 3D at all, you probably shouldn't bother. I doubt they have any more 2016 panels left. If they do fix it under warranty, it will likely be a newer non-3D panel.

HT: OLED65E6P (ChadB cal'd), STR-DN1080, UBP-X800, 7 Take Classics, Dual SB2000's
LR: 47LW5600
post #21998 of 22017 Old 08-20-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magellan55 View Post
If you like 3D at all, you probably shouldn't bother. I doubt they have any more 2016 panels left. If they do fix it under warranty, it will likely be a newer non-3D panel.
It’s changed a bit since my post. I do notice that circular burn-in during red, yellow or light brown backgrounds. But it rarely comes up in normal viewing. It was always there before, I just didn’t see it when I made my last post as I 'thought' I was seeing it less/not at all.

That said, it’s still relatively minor overall. And there is a part of me concerned that I could get something worse back then what I have. Whether it be with banding (which I don’t have any right now) or the burn-in will return after a short time. I’ve read some of the reports on here that it’s happened after only a few months when they’ve had their panel replaced from LG.
post #21999 of 22017 Old 08-20-2019, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
My LG OLED65E6P got the black screen of death last week. The tv would power on but I would get no picture or sound. The light on the soundbar would just blink 3 times when you held down the power. Even though I was out of warranty LG said they would cover the parts as a 1 time courtesy. I was really hoping that it was just the main board that needed to be replaced but it turns out I need a new panel. I'm so disappointed because I'm going to be losing the 3D on my television which I absolutely loved. It just sucks that a tv that i bought in April of 2017 already died on me. The main reason I bought this tv was for the 3D. LG made me sign a waiver that I understand that if they have to replace the panel that it will be one that doesnt do 3D. I agreed to it because obviously being able to have a working television is better than none at all but man does it suck losing 3D. I really thought this wasn't something I was going to have to worry about for at least another 5 years, and I was hoping by then that 3D would be back in some form.
post #22000 of 22017 Old 08-20-2019, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDanger View Post
My LG OLED65E6P got the black screen of death last week. The tv would power on but I would get no picture or sound. The light on the soundbar would just blink 3 times when you held down the power. Even though I was out of warranty LG said they would cover the parts as a 1 time courtesy. I was really hoping that it was just the main board that needed to be replaced but it turns out I need a new panel. I'm so disappointed because I'm going to be losing the 3D on my television which I absolutely loved. It just sucks that a tv that i bought in April of 2017 already died on me. The main reason I bought this tv was for the 3D. LG made me sign a waiver that I understand that if they have to replace the panel that it will be one that doesnt do 3D. I agreed to it because obviously being able to have a working television is better than none at all but man does it suck losing 3D. I really thought this wasn't something I was going to have to worry about for at least another 5 years, and I was hoping by then that 3D would be back in some form.
how many hours was on your set?
post #22001 of 22017 Old 08-21-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobby View Post
how many hours was on your set?
I probably averaged 2 hours a day at most with this tv, so around 3,000 hours.
post #22002 of 22017 Old 08-21-2019, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
I probably averaged 2 hours a day at most with this tv, so around 3,000 hours.
wow that's not too many hours.must be awful losing the 3d.
post #22003 of 22017 Old 08-21-2019, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Joe, I am very sorry to hear that you will no longer have a 3D TV. Your whole post speaks for all 3D lovers. We all feel the pain and I would feel exactly as you are if and when my E6 goes down. I wonder how many LG OLED sets with 3D have panels that will go out before it's time? Also, why didn't LG just make enough extra panels (with 3D) to take care of these situations.
post #22004 of 22017 Old 08-21-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post
Joe, I am very sorry to hear that you will no longer have a 3D TV. Your whole post speaks for all 3D lovers. We all feel the pain and I would feel exactly as you are if and when my E6 goes down. I wonder how many LG OLED sets with 3D have panels that will go out before it's time? Also, why didn't LG just make enough extra panels (with 3D) to take care of these situations.
Thanks so much jbug I really appreciate it. Hopefully I am in the minority and most of these panels last for many more years to come. It's a gorgeous television and the 3D on it can't be beat. I also wonder if I had an extended warranty with LG, if they would replace it with a 3D panel vs a non 3D panel. Maybe all the extra 3D panels that they saved(if they saved any) are for people who got extended warranties directly with LG.
post #22005 of 22017 Old 08-21-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobby View Post
wow that's not too many hours.must be awful losing the 3d.
it definitely sucks for sure.
post #22006 of 22017 Old 08-21-2019, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4297 Post(s)
Liked: 3719
I doubt they have 3D panels saved up for anyone. Those with extended warranties should be offered refunds, however.
Cam1977 likes this.
post #22007 of 22017 Old 08-24-2019, 06:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
I doubt they have 3D panels saved up for anyone. Those with extended warranties should be offered refunds, however.
Yeah they stopped making this TV several years ago, and probably ate up all the spare panels with people complaining about misaligned 3D masks and other imperfections. This thread is filled with people talking about how it took 3 or 4 replacements before they were satisfied with what they saw on their test slides. So treat your baby with kid gloves or no more 3D for you, warranty or no.

HT: OLED65E6P (ChadB cal'd), STR-DN1080, UBP-X800, 7 Take Classics, Dual SB2000's
LR: 47LW5600
post #22008 of 22017 Old 08-24-2019, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4297 Post(s)
Liked: 3719
My 77" baby is fugly (bandy), but it's the best way to watch 3D short of a projector. It was way too costly for such imperfections, but I'll enjoy it while I can and may call in the ext. warranty before it expires. The 65" I have on the other hand looks markedly better.
post #22009 of 22017 Old 09-11-2019, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I apologize in advance if this topic is covered elsewhere but I have tried searching for any advice and was not successful.

Ever since I purchased my OLED65E6P back in 2016 I have been bothered in very dark scenes with what looks like smokey/dark clouds swirling over the image. I put it down to bad material rather than the screen because it does not occur in all dark scenes but probably in about 50%.

Am I correct this is probably bad content? Or is it maybe due to a bad setting selection on my part? Or can anyone point me to some forum where I can try to solve?

Otherwise I still love this screen.

Thanks in advance.
post #22010 of 22017 Old 09-11-2019, 08:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 5376 Post(s)
Liked: 3789
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Eddie View Post
I apologize in advance if this topic is covered elsewhere but I have tried searching for any advice and was not successful.

Ever since I purchased my OLED65E6P back in 2016 I have been bothered in very dark scenes with what looks like smokey/dark clouds swirling over the image. I put it down to bad material rather than the screen because it does not occur in all dark scenes but probably in about 50%.

Am I correct this is probably bad content? Or is it maybe due to a bad setting selection on my part? Or can anyone point me to some forum where I can try to solve?

Otherwise I still love this screen.

Thanks in advance.
Sounds like near black compression artifacts, quite common with streaming and cable tv. Not much you can do about that.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
post #22011 of 22017 Old 09-12-2019, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
Sounds like near black compression artifacts, quite common with streaming and cable tv. Not much you can do about that.
Also, the quality of over the air, broadcast TV might be less than you had hoped for. However, see if your TV looks right when showing 4K HDR netflix material.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch
post #22012 of 22017 Old 09-13-2019, 12:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 443
It’s a combination of poor source material combined with the TVs poor near black processing. Later generations have apparently improved near black processing which helps hide these imperfections

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
post #22013 of 22017 Old 09-13-2019, 03:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1436 Post(s)
Liked: 1424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Stirling View Post
It’s a combination of poor source material combined with the TVs poor near black processing. Later generations have apparently improved near black processing which helps hide these imperfections

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

While the near black is lacking on the 2016 sets and has gotten better with newer ones you can make sme tweaks to the white balance IRE values to help the near blacks. It certianly doesnt make them as good as newer sets but they did help on mine. This thread has a bunch of info on it if ya search.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
LG UBK-90, Samsung UBD-8500K
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #22014 of 22017 Old 09-13-2019, 05:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
While the near black is lacking on the 2016 sets and has gotten better with newer ones you can make sme tweaks to the white balance IRE values to help the near blacks. It certianly doesnt make them as good as newer sets but they did help on mine. This thread has a bunch of info on it if ya search.
My search of this thread returned nothing. Thanks but I am lazy. If you have time please summarize the near black white balance IRE values tweaks.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch

Last edited by Postmoderndesign; 09-13-2019 at 11:12 AM.
post #22015 of 22017 Old 09-13-2019, 05:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked: 634
Quote:
it definitely sucks for sure.
Just wanted to comment that I purchased a LED/LCD (edge lit) 2015 LG 65" UF8500 3D tv off Craigs List about a year ago. Planted it right in front of my 65" Oled that I'm saving for down the road.

Same passive 3D and it works very well. Paid $1000 for it and really love it. Sony also made some passive 3D sets in 2015. There is also the 2016 LG UH8500 line. If your a 3D lover, like me, you might want to keep your eye out on Ebay or Craigs List...for sale section here. There are a few 3D Oleds on Ebay...but they are expensive.

Really sorry to hear about your loss

RoadLizard likes this.

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.

Last edited by Kenbar; 09-13-2019 at 05:54 AM.
post #22016 of 22017 Old 09-14-2019, 06:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1436 Post(s)
Liked: 1424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post
My search of this thread returned nothing. Thanks but I am lazy. If you have time please summarize the near black white balance IRE values tweaks.
No problem, basically, get into the advanced picture setting mode and look for the white balance section. Then, you’ll be working with the IRE values. Heres what I have mine set to:

IRE 30: +12
IRE 25: +10
IRE 20: +8
IRE 15: +6
IRE 10: +4
IRE 5: +2
IRE 0: NO changes.

All others can stay at their default values. I also did a service menu tweak where I set the Sub Brightness value to 127. 128 is the default. This allowed me to use a slightly higher main brightness setting for general viewing. So, instead of a Brightness value of 51 I can use 52 and still maintain zero blacks. I use a brightness value of 52 for general and movie viewing picture modes, BTW. Keep in mind that these IRE values do NOT pertain to Dolby Vision or HDR modes. Those are locked out and have different mapping. I actually find that Dolby Vision and HDR look great on this TV and the near blacks are better than in any of the standard modes.

Overall the mods help a little bit for sure over stock values. It doesn’t make anything perfect but it’s better and worthwhile to do, IMO.

Let me know if that helps or if you need more info. What are your picture settings like? Just curious.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
LG UBK-90, Samsung UBD-8500K
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #22017 of 22017 Old 09-16-2019, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
How can I display movies in date seq?

I have OLED65E6P, Asus Cellspot Router, Win 10 desktop, WD Elements 5TB drive with 400+ movies.

I have the WD drive attached to router and computer and OLED TV are on same network.
Am able to play movies on my TV but they are displayed in Name seq.

I want them to be displayed in descending date added sequence so that I can easily see the most recent movies that have been added.

Is this possible?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
65e6p , 65G6P , dolby vision , OLED55C6P , OLED65E6P , vesa mount. shelving

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page