2016 LG OLED 65G6P and 65E6P Owners Thread - Page 740 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 87722Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #22171 of 22465 Old 12-05-2019, 07:59 AM
Member
 
mpatnode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Found this in the LG calibration thread about a hidden diagnostic tool. Works on the E6 as well. Make sure you only highlight channel tuning, by moving cursor over it, and then pressing 1 on the remote several times. Don't actually go into channel tuning. Just hit the back arrow to get out.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...l#post58775690

Very cool. Are you able to get to the second HDMI detail screen on the 2016 model? I couldn't find a way to "highlight" HDMI and I didn't see "More Info" text on the screen.

mpatnode is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22172 of 22465 Old 12-05-2019, 08:17 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Ok so I bought a SOny A9G 77" from Amazon, I think it was 1k off for black friday. Ill give it a try, but tough selling the 77g6p. I watched some 3d today, it wasn't bad. Decisions..decisions..
Manoj Mohan is offline  
post #22173 of 22465 Old 12-05-2019, 08:40 AM
Senior Member
 
knobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: london ontario
Posts: 303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoj Mohan View Post
Ok so I bought a SOny A9G 77" from Amazon, I think it was 1k off for black friday. Ill give it a try, but tough selling the 77g6p. I watched some 3d today, it wasn't bad. Decisions..decisions..
just thought i would enter my e6 oled hours.7200 hrs.hope it keeps going for another 50,000 hrs and more trouble free.
knobby is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22174 of 22465 Old 12-05-2019, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 9,583
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5586 Post(s)
Liked: 3992
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatnode View Post
Very cool. Are you able to get to the second HDMI detail screen on the 2016 model? I couldn't find a way to "highlight" HDMI and I didn't see "More Info" text on the screen.
No. Only that main screen on 2016 models.
wxman is offline  
post #22175 of 22465 Old 12-05-2019, 11:28 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thank you @Postmoderndesign 🙏

I will definitely take your suggestions into account.
And yes alita has a nice 3D implementation as a fusion camera system was used but still not as impactful as post converted Jumbo 2019 and captain marvel 3D.


Yeah! It may sound weird and a bit of nonsense but that's what I felt.
Kalpesh is offline  
post #22176 of 22465 Old 12-05-2019, 11:37 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 11
@manojm ohan You might be an indian by your name. Are you really wanna sale your 65G6P? If yes then would you please elaborate the things that one should know like Total hours and a sign of Burn-In Banding n all.
Kalpesh is offline  
post #22177 of 22465 Old 12-05-2019, 12:20 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 11
@manojm ohan You could easily pick LG C9 overy SONY A9G. LG has performed better than sony in all the way except a little better up-scaling and a better build quality. Some are saying A9G has better motion handling which is not true. You will hardly notice any difference when it comes to motion. LG C9 is a picture perfect OLED that has just 13ms which is great even if you don't play games, C9 is more future proof than A9G.

And sound from screen is definately not a feature that every TV should possess. Even LG performs better in sound department than sony as it has a more amount of rumble and bass plus less distortion.
Kalpesh is offline  
post #22178 of 22465 Old 12-05-2019, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 9,583
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5586 Post(s)
Liked: 3992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalpesh View Post
@manojm ohan You could easily pick LG C9 overy SONY A9G. LG has performed better than sony in all the way except a little better up-scaling and a better build quality. Some are saying A9G has better motion handling which is not true. You will hardly notice any difference when it comes to motion. LG C9 is a picture perfect OLED that has just 13ms which is great even if you don't play games, C9 is more future proof than A9G.

And sound from screen is definately not a feature that every TV should possess. Even LG performs better in sound department than sony as it has a more amount of rumble and bass plus less distortion.
When buying a 77 inch OLED, sound quality from the tv speakers is probably the least of most people's concern, as most would have an external sound system.
mttpalmer likes this.
wxman is offline  
post #22179 of 22465 Old 12-05-2019, 12:29 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 11
But SONY does have a slightly better motion interpolation which again will not create a huge difference. I mean most of the ppl just hate that Soap Opera Effect when interpolation is introduced to the native refresh rate.
Kalpesh is offline  
post #22180 of 22465 Old 12-05-2019, 01:53 PM
Member
 
xsamx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Sony has better motion Lg oleds has a stutter.

Lg W8 65" Wall paper oled tv. Sources Oppo 203. Panasonic UB9000. Apple 4K tv. Xbox one x.
Lg E6 65" 3D oled tv... Sorce Oppo 103D
xsamx is online now  
post #22181 of 22465 Old 12-06-2019, 04:17 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 11
@manojm ohan If you really wish to sale your 77G6P then please contact me.
Kalpesh is offline  
post #22182 of 22465 Old 12-06-2019, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Stuntman_Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,905
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsamx View Post
Sony has better motion Lg oleds has a stutter.
Can't speak for the newer LG models and I've yet to own a Sony OLED, but my E6 stutters sometimes, and it annoys the ever loving hell out of me.
xsamx likes this.

Stuntman_Mike is offline  
post #22183 of 22465 Old 12-06-2019, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 766
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Do you have motion interpolation on?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andrew Stirling is online now  
post #22184 of 22465 Old 12-06-2019, 06:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 65
So I set my Roku Ultra and Nvidia Shield to change refresh rash and match resolution , and then I left real cinema on and trumotion off. So far the motion is pretty good on the g6p. Any other reason you guys can give me to keep the Sony a9g, if ships in 4-6 weeks.
Manoj Mohan is offline  
post #22185 of 22465 Old 12-06-2019, 09:18 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 11
@manojm ohan What is your expected selling price?
Kalpesh is offline  
post #22186 of 22465 Old 12-06-2019, 09:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
nc88keyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,688
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 267
I would never....ever.....

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
nc88keyz is offline  
post #22187 of 22465 Old 12-07-2019, 04:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RoadLizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 2,429
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1502 Post(s)
Liked: 1503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post
Can't speak for the newer LG models and I've yet to own a Sony OLED, but my E6 stutters sometimes, and it annoys the ever loving hell out of me.
When does the stutter happen? Certain content or inputs what are your true motion settings at? Just curious because I really don’t see this on my E6. I know that the Sony’s are known for motion handling and I’m sure they do it better than LG but mine seems acceptable.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
Panny UBD-420, LG UBK-90
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
RoadLizard is offline  
post #22188 of 22465 Old 12-07-2019, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7,788
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4374 Post(s)
Liked: 3813
On smooth pans, I see a general stuttering effect but this is unavoidable without enabling True Motion, which is off. A separate issue is the Amazon Prime app occasionally stutters in a more jarring way, which I attribute to the coders.
video_analysis is offline  
post #22189 of 22465 Old 12-07-2019, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 9,583
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5586 Post(s)
Liked: 3992
Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
On smooth pans, I see a general stuttering effect but this is unavoidable without enabling True Motion, which is off. A separate issue is the Amazon Prime app occasionally stutters in a more jarring way, which I attribute to the coders.
I don't see stuttering on pans, but what I do see is a strobing effect with the panning at times. The whole picture itself doesn't stutter, but the brighter areas strobe because each pixel turns off and on rapidly. Using TruMotion will reduce it because it blurs it more, but then introduces judder. Until OLED starts coming with 240hz and higher panels, the strobing on 24p material will continue. Instead of 5:5 pulldown, it would be 10:10 pulldown with 240hz and that would help reduce the strobing effect. When it comes to the internal apps, Netflix and Amazon has issues at times because some of their shows are at 23.976 fps and others at 24 fps. The tv does 23.976 correctly, but when the app sends 24 fps, the tv drops frames and creates stutter. I have seen the same thing. However, when I use an external device like a Nvidia Shield, it processes the 24 fps correctly and I see no stutter through those devices. My recommendation is to get an external device like the Shield to watch Netflix, Amazon, etc.
Video Auteur likes this.
wxman is offline  
post #22190 of 22465 Old 12-07-2019, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7,788
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4374 Post(s)
Liked: 3813
You may have better described the phenomenon I saw. Whether we call it stuttering or strobing, it creates a visual sense of choppiness. 240 Hz would be fantastic. Let's first see if they can deliver the broken promised feature associated with 120 Hz in 2020. I no longer have Netflix, but I never recall shows in the app where multiple frames are skipped. On Amazon Prime, this comes across as more of a glitch because it's almost always inconsistent and highly random.

Last edited by video_analysis; 12-07-2019 at 11:49 AM.
video_analysis is offline  
post #22191 of 22465 Old 12-07-2019, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 9,583
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5586 Post(s)
Liked: 3992
Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
You may have better described the phenomenon I saw. Whether we call it stuttering or strobing, it creates a visual sense of choppiness. 240 Hz would be fantastic. Let's first see if they can deliver the broken promised feature associated with 120 Hz in 2020. I no longer have Netflix, but I never recall shows in the app where multiple frames are skipped. On Amazon Prime, this comes across as more of a glitch because it's inconsistent and highly random.
It can be annoying with panning scenes. Many times I just watch with TruMotion at 0,10. Sure it uses 3:2 pulldown, but I notice judder less than strobing. Strobing sticks out like a sore thumb when it occurs.
wxman is offline  
post #22192 of 22465 Old 12-08-2019, 09:30 AM
Member
 
xsamx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Couple of 3D movies seen. Hobbs n shaw and the 2019 Lion king.

So E6 will rest again to next weekend or longer when i Get the time.

Lg W8 65" Wall paper oled tv. Sources Oppo 203. Panasonic UB9000. Apple 4K tv. Xbox one x.
Lg E6 65" 3D oled tv... Sorce Oppo 103D
xsamx is online now  
post #22193 of 22465 Old 12-08-2019, 12:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Video Auteur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 104
05.30.60 firmware update

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
I dont want any more updates for fear it would mess up my tv!

I've delayed installing the most recent firmware update (05.30.60) as I don't want to create any problems. People seem to be reporting that it's safe to install, although the only benefits (or annoyances, depending on how you look at it) appear to be changes to the remote. Is this an all-clear? Is it safe to upgrade?
Video Auteur is offline  
post #22194 of 22465 Old 12-08-2019, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DougDingle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: West Coast
Posts: 1,794
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1164 Post(s)
Liked: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Video Auteur View Post
I've delayed installing the most recent firmware update (05.30.60) as I don't want to create any problems. People seem to be reporting that it's safe to install, although the only benefits (or annoyances, depending on how you look at it) appear to be changes to the remote. Is this an all-clear? Is it safe to upgrade?

I haven't had any issues (I don't game), but strangely when I turned the E6 on yesterday evening I got a prompt on screen that the Magic Remote had just been updated, and as I instinctively glanced down at it, I saw its LED flash. No idea what that was about.
Video Auteur likes this.
DougDingle is offline  
post #22195 of 22465 Old 12-08-2019, 01:34 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The lion king 2019 is such a wonderful experience in 3D. Hobbs and shaw in 3D was less appealing though.
xsamx likes this.
Kalpesh is offline  
post #22196 of 22465 Old 12-09-2019, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Stuntman_Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,905
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
When does the stutter happen? Certain content or inputs what are your true motion settings at? Just curious because I really don’t see this on my E6. I know that the Sony’s are known for motion handling and I’m sure they do it better than LG but mine seems acceptable.
I have everything off except Real Cinema.

The stutter is semi random. The one somewhat unifying thing that causes the stutter seems to be when there is a large digital display with movement around that display, or some kind of complex background with movement in the foreground.

Some examples:

Family Feud. When Steve Harvey goes over to the families to ask a question and there is a shot of the scoreboard in the background, the movement of Steve and the contestants will often stutter. Happens quite often.

Watching a Basketball game. When a player is at free throw line and then a score or some type of stat display comes up, it often stutters. Not when the game is actually going on, though. Only during the particular free throw line camera shot does this happen.

SNY, in particular, but other news or sporting news shows can trigger it, but they are rare. SNY is semi reliable. When watching the Knicks postgame show (I know, I'm a masochist) and the two broadcasters are on either side of the digital display in the background and the shot also contains the display on the desk that they are sitting behind, it stutters.

It's basically like the chip in the 6 Series is so crappy that it can't handle displaying movement and complex graphics at the same time, is the best way to describe it.
Manoj Mohan likes this.


Last edited by Stuntman_Mike; 12-09-2019 at 09:34 AM.
Stuntman_Mike is offline  
post #22197 of 22465 Old 12-09-2019, 10:53 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 65
The only motion I ever liked on the G6p was dejudder 1 and deblur 0. Everything else off. The motion is almost on par with plasma, but its so damn useless because of all the stupid artefacts.. its pointless!
Manoj Mohan is offline  
post #22198 of 22465 Old 12-09-2019, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Stuntman_Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,905
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Stirling View Post
Do you have motion interpolation on?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No. Everything is off except Real Cinema.

Stuntman_Mike is offline  
post #22199 of 22465 Old 12-09-2019, 12:29 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 11
For kind info, E6/G6 performs differently with 24p 30p and 50p. There is nothing wrong if you're watching 24p content. I would suggest @manojm ohan to go with 2019 oleds A9G or C9. No need to wait till 240hz panels out. I think sooner micro led will replace the oled technology due to its reliability.
Kalpesh is offline  
post #22200 of 22465 Old 12-09-2019, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RoadLizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 2,429
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1502 Post(s)
Liked: 1503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post
I have everything off except Real Cinema.

The stutter is semi random. The one somewhat unifying thing that causes the stutter seems to be when there is a large digital display with movement around that display, or some kind of complex background with movement in the foreground.

Some examples:

Family Feud. When Steve Harvey goes over to the families to ask a question and there is a shot of the scoreboard in the background, the movement of Steve and the contestants will often stutter. Happens quite often.

Watching a Basketball game. When a player is at free throw line and then a score or some type of stat display comes up, it often stutters. Not when the game is actually going on, though. Only during the particular free throw line camera shot does this happen.

SNY, in particular, but other news or sporting news shows can trigger it, but they are rare. SNY is semi reliable. When watching the Knicks postgame show (I know, I'm a masochist) and the two broadcasters are on either side of the digital display in the background and the shot also contains the display on the desk that they are sitting behind, it stutters.

It's basically like the chip in the 6 Series is so crappy that it can't handle displaying movement and complex graphics at the same time, is the best way to describe it.

Gotchya - I do see some of those types of artifacts but I am not bothered by it as much as others. Its certainly a weakness of these 2016 OLEDs though. The motion handling just isnt whwere it needs to be.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoj Mohan View Post
The only motion I ever liked on the G6p was dejudder 1 and deblur 0. Everything else off. The motion is almost on par with plasma, but its so damn useless because of all the stupid artefacts.. its pointless!

I have all that stuff off right now but might try your settings of DJ=1 and DB =0 just to see how it looks.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
Panny UBD-420, LG UBK-90
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
RoadLizard is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
65e6p , 65G6P , dolby vision , OLED55C6P , OLED65E6P , vesa mount. shelving

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off