2016 LG OLED 65G6P and 65E6P Owners Thread - Page 778 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 88120Likes

post #23311 of 23396 Old 05-27-2020, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1867 Post(s)
Liked: 1114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalpesh View Post
We all do love OLED tech and that is why we the owner of E6 but....
Eventually HDR/DOLBY VISION will kill your OLED is the biggest flaw, that wont be an issue with QLED.
If you set brightness/oled lights high, panel will degrade faster increasing risk of burn-in. No 2018/2019/2020 panels are exception to this but with QLED we need not worry even about the peak brightness.
More FUD, thanks.

I don't see it happening.

If it does, I'll replace it with another OLED, and another, because LCD/QLED picture quality is completely unacceptable to me.
DougDingle, dianebrat and wxman like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23312 of 23396 Old 05-27-2020, 07:09 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Is this really the place to discuss Qled, looks like the thread title is 2016 LG OLED 65G6P and 65E6P Owners Thread.
wxman and madrac like this.

Lg G6
Oppo 203, Ps4Pro
Emotiva, XMC-1 V3, Xpa-2, Xpa-5
PSA V1801
Airmotiv T2(front), C2(Center), T1(surrounds), E1(surround backs)
post #23313 of 23396 Old 05-27-2020, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by krauley View Post
Is this really the place to discuss Qled, looks like the thread title is 2016 LG OLED 65G6P and 65E6P Owners Thread.

If your a 2016 oled owner then yes , making conversation and comparisons is fine after spending so much money on a tv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kalpesh likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23314 of 23396 Old 05-27-2020, 09:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoj Mohan View Post
If your a 2016 oled owner then yes , making conversation and comparisons is fine after spending so much money on a tv

Indeed we can talk...since E6 uses OLED..Here we are just comparing these two leading techs. Indeed QLEDS cants create those deep blacks but fine black levels. Some of the high end LED LCD TVs such as Sony Z9D that incorporates more than 800 independent Full array local deeming zones can produce amazing blacks and those torture blooming test videos we see will never really matter in real worlds as they exaggerate camera settings that most probably our eyes wont notice with normal content.
post #23315 of 23396 Old 05-27-2020, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 5805 Post(s)
Liked: 4159
Quote:
We all do love OLED tech and that is why we the owner of E6 but....
Eventually HDR/DOLBY VISION will kill your OLED is the biggest flaw, that wont be an issue with QLED.
If you set brightness/oled lights high, panel will degrade faster increasing risk of burn-in. No 2018/2019/2020 panels are exception to this but with QLED we need not worry even about the peak brightness.
Where do you come up with this? HDR/DV only uses the peak panel brightness on specular highlights. It doesn't brighten the whole screen. In fact, many people complain that DV and HDR look darker compared to SDR. And there is no difference between DV/HDR full screen with a 100% white slide and an SDR version of that same slide. The screen maxes out around 150 nits.
Cam1977 likes this.

Last edited by wxman; 05-27-2020 at 01:05 PM.
post #23316 of 23396 Old 05-27-2020, 10:42 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Where do you come up with this? HDR/DV only uses the peak panel brightness on specular highlights. It doesn't brighten the whole screen. In fact, many people complain that DV and HDR look darker compared to SDR. And there is no difference between DV/HDR full screen with a 100% white slide and an SDR version of that same slide. The screen maxes out around 150 nits.
By many, It is recommended to set the OLED light on 20-30 for medium to dark room if you want your panel to go longer with 50% of the brightness used.
Now when E6 triggers HDR/DV signal all the settings get locked and you can not adjust on VIVID and BRIGHT mode, setting OLED light by default on 100 with all other setting such as contrast, luminescence and gamma at high. In fact what is the point of having HDR if you manually set the setting by yourself at low making it look like SDR?
So YES! HDR brighten up the whole panel reducing the life & increasing risk of Burn-in. 2019 OLEDs might have used better pixel refresher or static logo luminescence control or even bigger Red pixel to reduce the risk if burn-in but there is no complete denial about that.

https://www.techhive.com/article/323...r-oled-tv.html
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/465-h...o-you-use.html
https://www.reddit.com/r/appletv/com..._your_oled_tv/

There are some OLED test by RTINGS that proves it (uploaded on Jan 2019)

post #23317 of 23396 Old 05-27-2020, 10:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
By many, It is recommended to set the OLED light on 20-30 for medium to dark room if you want your panel to go longer with 50% of the brightness used.
Now when E6 triggers HDR/DV signal all the settings get locked and you can not adjust on VIVID and BRIGHT mode, setting OLED light by default on 100 with all other setting such as contrast, luminescence and gamma at high. In fact what is the point of having HDR if you manually set the setting by yourself at low making it look like SDR?
So YES! HDR brighten up the whole panel reducing the life & increasing risk of Burn-in. 2019 OLEDs might have used better pixel refresher or static logo luminescence control or even bigger Red pixel to reduce the risk if burn-in but there is no complete denial about that.

https://www.techhive.com/article/323...r-oled-tv.html
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/465-h...o-you-use.html
https://www.reddit.com/r/appletv/com..._your_oled_tv/

There are some OLED test by RTINGS that proves it (uploaded on Jan 2019)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOcLasaRCzY
OLED light at 100 for HDR is not the same as OLED light at 100 for SDR. OLED light at 100 is so the specular highlights will reach peak panel brightness, not overall screen brightness.

Did you actually read the article? From the techhive article

"Fortunately, during normal viewing, the peak brightness areas of HDR occur relatively infrequently, and they hardly ever cover the entire screen. For the sake of argument, let’s say peak brightness (700 nits on the Sony) is displayed five percent of the time, and more or less evenly across the entire display. That’s three minutes per hour of four-fold accelerated decay across the entire panel, or the equivalent of 12 extra minutes subtracted from the panel's lifespan.

That’s a reduction of only 20 percent, making the lifespan of a 100,000-hour TV still 80,000 hours"

Do you know how long it would take to hit 80,000 hours running the tv 8 hours a day? 27 years.

BTW, ihave my EF9500 OLED light at 100 and contrast at 85. It's in as bright room. Have run it that way for almost 5 years. No BI. If you are so paranoid about your tv, get rid of it. This constant posting that OLED is going to have all these problems is getting ridiculous.

Last edited by wxman; 05-27-2020 at 11:05 PM.
post #23318 of 23396 Old 05-28-2020, 12:43 AM

Quote:
OLED light at 100 for HDR is not the same as OLED light at 100 for SDR. OLED light at 100 is so the specular highlights will reach peak panel brightness, not overall screen brightness.

"Fortunately, during normal viewing, the peak brightness areas of HDR occur relatively infrequently, and they hardly ever cover the entire screen. For the sake of argument, let’s say peak brightness (700 nits on the Sony) is displayed five percent of the time, and more or less evenly across the entire display. That’s three minutes per hour of four-fold accelerated decay across the entire panel, or the equivalent of 12 extra minutes subtracted from the panel's lifespan.

That’s a reduction of only 20 percent, making the lifespan of a 100,000-hour TV still 80,000 hours"

Do you know how long it would take to hit 80,000 hours running the tv 8 hours a day? 27 years.

BTW, ihave my EF9500 OLED light at 100 and contrast at 85. It's in as bright room. Have run it that way for almost 5 years. No BI. If you are so paranoid about your tv, get rid of it. This constant posting that OLED is going to have all these problems is getting ridiculous.
You are just talking for yourself. There are numerous cases of burn-in on this forum, some of them got burn in within 6 months that you know already. LG itself takes responsibility of burn-in coz they know there are chances...The brighter the display the more chances of getting severe burn-in according to RTINGS conclusion. In one of his videos vincent theo himself said that if you set OLED lights at 100 or at max, the panel will degrade faster reducing its life (Unfortunately cant find the video). There is a case, 65EF9500 panel became very dim that one cant even watch in medium to dark room.
post #23319 of 23396 Old 05-28-2020, 12:50 AM

Quote:
If you are so paranoid about your tv, get rid of it. This constant posting that OLED is going to have all these problems is getting ridiculous.
Nothing wrong with my panel. Its in great condition and I do enjoy many HDR and 3D movies than normal SDR movies but I have to babysit my TV that's the thing. I do not expose any static image more than 5 mins on the screen.

p.s: Gemini man & lucy are the two most brilliant HDR movies I have seen on my E6 till date.
post #23320 of 23396 Old 05-28-2020, 01:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You are just talking for yourself. There are numerous cases of burn-in on this forum, some of them got burn in within 6 months that you know already. LG itself takes responsibility of burn-in coz they know there are chances...The brighter the display the more chances of getting severe burn-in according to RTINGS conclusion. In one of his videos vincent theo himself said that if you set OLED lights at 100 or at max, the panel will degrade faster reducing its life (Unfortunately cant find the video). There is a case, 65EF9500 panel became very dim that one cant even watch in medium to dark room.
Please post that video. Sure at 100 OLED light the panel will degrade quicker. Instead of taking 20 years with a lower OLED light at 10 hours a day, it will only take 10 years watching 10 hours a day. I dont know about you, but i find it hard to watch a tv 5 hours a day, much less 10 hours a day for 10 years. So in another 5 years, I doubt i will even have my 9500 or E6 as they will be so outdated that they won't be worth $50. Also you need to show where it said a 65EF9500 became so dim it couldn't be watched in a medium to dark room. My 65EF9500 hasn't degraded after almost 5 years of 100 OLED light and still quite viewable in a bright room. The tv has 10,000 hours on it. Again, you didn't even read the article you posted, I quoted it, and now you don't believe it. Here is another quote from that same article, YOU posted

"In the case of my hypothetical linear decay, maximum HDR brightness covering the entirety of a 100,000-hour-rated display would reduce the time to LT50 (operational lifetime to 50 percent brightness—the industry definition for a display’s brightness decaying by half) to a mere 25,000."

Now did you read exactly what it said? "If maximum HDR brightness covering the ENTIRETY of a 100,000 hour display." That would mean 700 nits with every pixel for 25,000 hours, then display would lose 50% of its brightness. Well guess what, that's impossible. ABL kicks in on these tv's and lowers full screen brightness to 125 nits. It is impossible for the tv to have full panel brightness of 700 nits, so therefore, even with OLED light at 100, it would not lose 50% of its brightness in 25,000 hours. The same with SDR. ABL will kick in on a very bright scene and lower the output to 125 nits. From RTINGS with the E6 review, peak brightness of 400 nits with SDR occurs with 2% thru 25% with OLED light at 100, while the overall SDR peak brightness is 232 nits with OLED light at 100. Not even close to the peak brightness of 650 nits. The same is true with HDR.

From RTINGS "The overall SDR peak brightness is average for the LG E6 OLED TV. SDR peak brightness is good until the highlight gets pass 25% of the total windows size. At this point, ABL (Automatic Brightness Limiter) start to dim the highlight making each of the following windows dimmer than the previous one and leaving the full screen 100% windows at almost 1/4 of the brightness of the 2% windows."

If not for ABL, panel brightness would degrade quickly with OLED light at 100. Thankfully, ABL circuitry will allow OLEDS to last a long time, even with OLED light at 100.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 4.01.34 AM.png
Views:	41
Size:	266.4 KB
ID:	2733458   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 4.01.57 AM.png
Views:	24
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	2733460  

Last edited by wxman; 05-28-2020 at 02:17 AM.
post #23321 of 23396 Old 05-28-2020, 03:59 AM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Please post that video. Sure at 100 OLED light the panel will degrade quicker. Instead of taking 20 years with a lower OLED light at 10 hours a day, it will only take 10 years watching 10 hours a day. I dont know about you, but i find it hard to watch a tv 5 hours a day, much less 10 hours a day for 10 years. So in another 5 years, I doubt i will even have my 9500 or E6 as they will be so outdated that they won't be worth $50. Also you need to show where it said a 65EF9500 became so dim it couldn't be watched in a medium to dark room. My 65EF9500 hasn't degraded after almost 5 years of 100 OLED light and still quite viewable in a bright room. The tv has 10,000 hours on it. Again, you didn't even read the article you posted, I quoted it, and now you don't believe it. Here is another quote from that same article, YOU posted

"In the case of my hypothetical linear decay, maximum HDR brightness covering the entirety of a 100,000-hour-rated display would reduce the time to LT50 (operational lifetime to 50 percent brightness—the industry definition for a display’s brightness decaying by half) to a mere 25,000."

Now did you read exactly what it said? "If maximum HDR brightness covering the ENTIRETY of a 100,000 hour display." That would mean 700 nits with every pixel for 25,000 hours, then display would lose 50% of its brightness. Well guess what, that's impossible. ABL kicks in on these tv's and lowers full screen brightness to 125 nits. It is impossible for the tv to have full panel brightness of 700 nits, so therefore, even with OLED light at 100, it would not lose 50% of its brightness in 25,000 hours. The same with SDR. ABL will kick in on a very bright scene and lower the output to 125 nits. From RTINGS with the E6 review, peak brightness of 400 nits with SDR occurs with 2% thru 25% with OLED light at 100, while the overall SDR peak brightness is 232 nits with OLED light at 100. Not even close to the peak brightness of 650 nits. The same is true with HDR.

From RTINGS "The overall SDR peak brightness is average for the LG E6 OLED TV. SDR peak brightness is good until the highlight gets pass 25% of the total windows size. At this point, ABL (Automatic Brightness Limiter) start to dim the highlight making each of the following windows dimmer than the previous one and leaving the full screen 100% windows at almost 1/4 of the brightness of the 2% windows."

If not for ABL, panel brightness would degrade quickly with OLED light at 100. Thankfully, ABL circuitry will allow OLEDS to last a long time, even with OLED light at 100.
Keep all this technicality aside, "what would you say about those OLEDS suffering BURN-IN?" There are many cases with sever burn-in, those were under warranty, got replaced by the LG with 2017 oleds.
You seem a descent user(5hrs a day) and not hard core one(10-15hrs a day).
According to you burn-in is not an issue(ignoring rtings tests and observations) but what about others who are still suffering, spent thousands of dollars, out of warranty just 2-3 yrs of use, no replacement, have to stick with the same panel?
post #23322 of 23396 Old 05-28-2020, 04:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1867 Post(s)
Liked: 1114
Quote:
Yes, it can happen, but it's like staying away from a particular model of TV because some people got one dead out of the box.
post #23323 of 23396 Old 05-28-2020, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked: 1582
Quote:

Great stuff and very true. HDR/DV dont scare me one bit. Honestly, has anyne ever even had their main TV long enough to hit 30,000 hours? I think my KURO got up to like 15,000 or so and felt like I got a lot of use out of it. It was time to upgrade, maybe even slightly past the time to upgrade! What Im getting at is that any TV tech will last long enough to carry like 99.999966% of the user base until their next TV. This longevity concern is simply not a concern for me and shouldnt be for others either.

My E6 is still cranking along.
madrac likes this.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
LG UBK-90
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #23324 of 23396 Old 05-28-2020, 12:03 PM

I have an offer for my 77g6p, should I take it and run or am I making a big mistake
post #23325 of 23396 Old 05-28-2020, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Keep all this technicality aside, "what would you say about those OLEDS suffering BURN-IN?" There are many cases with sever burn-in, those were under warranty, got replaced by the LG with 2017 oleds.
You seem a descent user(5hrs a day) and not hard core one(10-15hrs a day).
According to you burn-in is not an issue(ignoring rtings tests and observations) but what about others who are still suffering, spent thousands of dollars, out of warranty just 2-3 yrs of use, no replacement, have to stick with the same panel?
Burn in is not a rampant and catastrophic issue, and just like in the days of plasma, simple paying attention can all but eliminate it from happening to ones set.
If you want to watch a channel with a static logo that is one of the colors that's known to cause burn-in AND you crank the OLED light to 100 for doing it, you will be more at risk. One of the recommended ways to limit burn in potential is to have OLED light at 50% in normal usage, while this isn't possible in DV mode, most DV sources don't have static logos that are one of the most frequent causes of burn-ins.

For folks that are new, they come in and all they see is "burn in, burn in, burn in" and that's because only the people that get it complain, the hundreds of thousands of people that don't have burn in rarely comment on it. I've been here since the 2016 OLEDs were released, the number of instances of real burn in vs people worrying is quite low.

My old 55EF9500 is till with friends that use it 4-8 hours a day and they do not have burn in, I use my E6 an average of 4-6 hours a day and I have zero burn in. I also had 4 plasma sets over the years and never had any burn in and they were just as prone to it as OLEDs.

The amount of TLC an OLED needs to help it avoid burn in is minimal, but if I wanted to watch news channels all day with their logos I wouldn't use my OLED since I appreciate the tradeoff of it's picture quality to the minimal con of burn in if abused.
DougDingle and wxman like this.
post #23326 of 23396 Old 05-28-2020, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1368 Post(s)
Liked: 1040
Does anyone know how to get to the advanced HDMI Diagnostics page on an E6? I'd like to see more info on what is coming into the display.
post #23327 of 23396 Old 05-28-2020, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1368 Post(s)
Liked: 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Burn in is not a rampant and catastrophic issue, and just like in the days of plasma, simple paying attention can all but eliminate it from happening to ones set.

Agreed. I'm at 3.5 years and 5,000 hours on my E6, and I have zero burn-in. Zero.

The only 'caution' I exercise is to not leave the set endlessly tuned to stations that have full time crawls, like news or sports channels. The longest the set has stayed on a channel with a crawl is the 3-4 hours it takes to play a pro football game, and even there, the crawl goes away during the ton of commercials that infects major sporting events. I'd like to commend NBC for not having a crawl on their Sunday Night games.

And I don't play games on it because I don't play games.
post #23328 of 23396 Old 05-28-2020, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Anyone have any idea what a 77" G6P could go for on the used market?

(Theater)Speakers: Sonus Faber Nova V, Center II, Dual REL S/510, Vanquish in ceiling (surrounds) | Processor: Marantz 8805 | Amp: PS Audio BHK 300, Moon Simaudio 400m,One Moon Simaudio 330a, PS Audio Directstream | Sources: DirecTV HR17, Mac Mini, PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Panny UB820| Television: Samsung 75Q9FN | Remote: Logitech Harmony Elite
(Loft) Anthem MRX 520, LG 77G6P, Oppo UDP-203, Harmony Elite.
post #23329 of 23396 Old 05-28-2020, 10:41 PM

Quote:
I have an offer for my 77g6p, should I take it and run or am I making a big mistake
Only if 3D is less of the concern, just grab the offer if getting good price. Look into recently release LG CX, getting rave reviews.
post #23330 of 23396 Old 05-28-2020, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltalkm View Post
Anyone have any idea what a 77" G6P could go for on the used market?
It depends upon many factors such as total usage hours, if there is any burn-in, numbers of visible vertical bandings, uniformity(vignetting) and if matters then 3D filter alignment test.
post #23331 of 23396 Old 05-29-2020, 05:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It depends upon many factors such as total usage hours, if there is any burn-in, numbers of visible vertical bandings, uniformity(vignetting) and if matters then 3D filter alignment test.

Thanks, we are doing some redecorating and I am thinking of selling mine. It doesn't get much use.
Kalpesh likes this.

(Theater)Speakers: Sonus Faber Nova V, Center II, Dual REL S/510, Vanquish in ceiling (surrounds) | Processor: Marantz 8805 | Amp: PS Audio BHK 300, Moon Simaudio 400m,One Moon Simaudio 330a, PS Audio Directstream | Sources: DirecTV HR17, Mac Mini, PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Panny UB820| Television: Samsung 75Q9FN | Remote: Logitech Harmony Elite
post #23332 of 23396 Old 05-29-2020, 12:15 PM

Red face

Quote:
Thanks, we are doing some redecorating and I am thinking of selling mine. It doesn't get much use.
Hi @liltalkm
Since you own both 77G6(OLED) and 77Q9F(QLED) which one according to you offer better overall picture quality? please elaborate!
Manoj Mohan likes this.
post #23333 of 23396 Old 05-29-2020, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1184 Post(s)
Liked: 691
Quote:
Hi @liltalkm
Since you own both 77G6(OLED) and 77Q9F(QLED) which one according to you offer better overall picture quality? please elaborate!
I'm betting the 3D is way better on the G6!

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
post #23334 of 23396 Old 05-29-2020, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hi @liltalkm
I'll take the bait!

The 77" was my main set at my old home. I thought I had reached the pinnacle of TV's. I was enthralled and loved everything about it. Still do to a certain extent. I only had plasma sets prior and I never wanted to deal with the compromises of LCD TV's. I even had Chad B calibrate it for me.

The family room in my new home has a lot light (my home in general does) and the location of the set was not desirable for a wall mount of the OLED as it cannot be mounted flush to the wall. So, I thought I would give the QLED a try and moved the OLED to a loft area. I had every expectation to not be happy with the QLED and figured it would go back to the store and I would put OLED back in its place.

I was wrong.

Overall for everyday viewing, I prefer the QLED. This is coming from someone that has 4 LG OLED's. I have a 55" 9300, 55" 9500 and 55E6P in bedrooms plus the 77" in the loft. I love them all dearly. Fantastic sets, especially in these better light controlled bedrooms.

OLED does produce a better picture, but only in the right environment and with the right content. This is my experience. I learned that OLED had its own set of compromises too. Yes the absolute black is spectacular, but how much TV was I watching to take advantage of that? I did not realize this until I tried out the QLED.

In striving to reach the holy grail of TV's, I learned that they simply do not exist. The QLED could get "close" to the OLED in those darker movies/dark scenes, but the OLED could not come close to the QLED in brightness and pop.

Yes, I deal with blooming on the QLED when off axis, but I don't watch it off axis. Yes, the blacks are not 100% black, but I really don't notice it all that much as I am never watching it in complete darkness. I have almost zero reflections in the QLED, something I still deal with on the OLED in the loft.

Considering all the trade offs, QLED was better for my situation. If only OLED could get brighter.

We are finally getting my family room redecorated this month and I have room for an 85" set. I may go with the Q950TS as it would look stunning in the room with its no gap wall mount. It is everything I like about my QLED plus some. I am in no hurry to make the switch, but I know that in a few weeks when my family room is done that I will want to complete it.

That leaves me with 2 large sets for the loft and I need to decide what to do. I have light issues in my loft also and think that my current QLED would be better served up there.

I would love to put 77' OLED in my bedroom, but know that I would need to get divorced first. It only has 4,411 hours on it.

Perhaps the QLED could go on my patio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbar View Post
I'm betting the 3D is way better on the G6!
Can't debate that one!

It is such a shame that LG OLED didn't exist when 3D launched. I really think 3D would have gained more traction if it did. It is such a jaw dropping experience with its passive glasses and crystal clear portrayal.

post #23335 of 23396 Old 05-29-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
I'll take the bait!

The 77" was my main set at my old home. I thought I had reached the pinnacle of TV's. I was enthralled and loved everything about it. Still do to a certain extent. I only had plasma sets prior and I never wanted to deal with the compromises of LCD TV's. I even had Chad B calibrate it for me.

The family room in my new home has a lot light (my home in general does) and the location of the set was not desirable for a wall mount of the OLED as it cannot be mounted flush to the wall. So, I thought I would give the QLED a try and moved the OLED to a loft area. I had every expectation to not be happy with the QLED and figured it would go back to the store and I would put OLED back in its place.

I was wrong.

Overall for everyday viewing, I prefer the QLED. This is coming from someone that has 4 LG OLED's. I have a 55" 9300, 55" 9500 and 55E6P in bedrooms plus the 77" in the loft. I love them all dearly. Fantastic sets, especially in these better light controlled bedrooms.

OLED does produce a better picture, but only in the right environment and with the right content. This is my experience. I learned that OLED had its own set of compromises too. Yes the absolute black is spectacular, but how much TV was I watching to take advantage of that? I did not realize this until I tried out the QLED.

In striving to reach the holy grail of TV's, I learned that they simply do not exist. The QLED could get "close" to the OLED in those darker movies/dark scenes, but the OLED could not come close to the QLED in brightness and pop.

Yes, I deal with blooming on the QLED when off axis, but I don't watch it off axis. Yes, the blacks are not 100% black, but I really don't notice it all that much as I am never watching it in complete darkness. I have almost zero reflections in the QLED, something I still deal with on the OLED in the loft.

Considering all the trade offs, QLED was better for my situation. If only OLED could get brighter.

We are finally getting my family room redecorated this month and I have room for an 85" set. I may go with the Q950TS as it would look stunning in the room with its no gap wall mount. It is everything I like about my QLED plus some. I am in no hurry to make the switch, but I know that in a few weeks when my family room is done that I will want to complete it.

That leaves me with 2 large sets for the loft and I need to decide what to do. I have light issues in my loft also and think that my current QLED would be better served up there.

I would love to put 77' OLED in my bedroom, but know that I would need to get divorced first. It only has 4,411 hours on it.

Can't debate that one!

It is such a shame that LG OLED didn't exist when 3D launched. I really think 3D would have gained more traction if it did. It is such a jaw dropping experience with its passive glasses and crystal clear portrayal.
Ok so from the sounds of it, QLED has less reflection and better viewing in bright room. Can you comment on colors ? I wonder what your thoughts would have been with a newer OLED.. I would assume same. How about motion?
Thanks for the post, it was helpful.
post #23336 of 23396 Old 05-29-2020, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Ok so from the sounds of it, QLED has less reflection and better viewing in bright room. Can you comment on colors ? I wonder what your thoughts would have been with a newer OLED.. I would assume same. How about motion?

You said it in fewer words. I cannot comment on newer OLED's, I do wonder the same.

Color volume on QLED is probably the biggest difference. Colors remain vibrant at all intensities. No ABL.

Motion is similar as both sets have their issues.

Please understand that I love my OLED's and I enjoy them very much. But for my main set, in my environment, QLED worked out better for me.

post #23337 of 23396 Old 05-30-2020, 04:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked: 1582
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougDingle View Post
Agreed. I'm at 3.5 years and 5,000 hours on my E6, and I have zero burn-in. Zero.

The only 'caution' I exercise is to not leave the set endlessly tuned to stations that have full time crawls, like news or sports channels. The longest the set has stayed on a channel with a crawl is the 3-4 hours it takes to play a pro football game, and even there, the crawl goes away during the ton of commercials that infects major sporting events. I'd like to commend NBC for not having a crawl on their Sunday Night games.

And I don't play games on it because I don't play games.
That’s really it too. Any of us that came from plasma already were doing such things or avoiding certain things anyways. It’s natural for us. But yes, BI is pretty easy to avoid. Just like the plasma days the issue has been overstated around here.
Cam1977 likes this.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
LG UBK-90
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #23338 of 23396 Old 05-30-2020, 11:11 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
I'll take the bait!

I was wrong.

Can't debate that one!

Quote:
Quote:
You said it in fewer words. I cannot comment on newer OLED's, I do wonder the same.

Color volume on QLED is probably the biggest difference. Colors remain vibrant at all intensities. No ABL.

Motion is similar as both sets have their issues.

Please understand that I love my OLED's and I enjoy them very much. But for my main set, in my environment, QLED worked out better for me.
QLED plus points.
1.Deeper colors.
2.Blacks that are close to OLED
3.Incredible Brightness
4.Anti-reflection coating.

Thanks for sharing your experience. It will help many to make a better choice.
post #23339 of 23396 Old 05-31-2020, 01:30 AM

Quote:
QLED plus points.
1.Deeper colors.
3.Incredible Brightness

But I think I’m a darker room blooming and off axis viewing (for me at least ) would
Drive me nuts . Just imagine seeing white spots in black bars and subtitles

post #23340 of 23396 Old 05-31-2020, 07:58 AM

Quote:
QLED plus points.
1.Deeper colors.
3.Incredible Brightness

Finally saw a cx at Costco today my
Initial impression was positive

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
65e6p , 65G6P , dolby vision , OLED55C6P , OLED65E6P , vesa mount. shelving

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page