HD 3D blu rays look better than 2D 4k, what do you think? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Jazzinc
  • 1 Post By Magnesus
  • 1 Post By Chronoptimist

post #1 of 13 Old 04-14-2016, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 7
HD 3D blu rays look better than 2D 4k, what do you think?

Ok, with my 65EF950v I am a 3D convert after being a 3D hater for years (never could like it on my Samsung F9000 and HU7500 4k set). The perfect 3D image, no banding no vignetting, no cross talk and the sense of depth and the double HD resolution on a 4k set is incredible. I've been rematching movies in 3D that showed me all kinds of new detail I'd missed before (like info on Iron Man's HUD in Avengers or the helmet views in the Martian). I have also watched the Martian in native 4k, but I feel I see more in the 3D image, maybe because it's easier to differentiate between the layers.

I was very surprised by this finding, but I consistently feel the many 3D blu rays I've watched in the past month (with 3840x1080p per eye) gives the most detail, clarity and immersion, even compared to native 2D 4k.

Just thought I'd throw it out there and see what you guys think! Am I alone?
Magnesus likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-14-2016, 06:02 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 19
4k 3D HDR would be perfect, but for now we have to choose some of those. If you sit far from the TV any impact from 4k resolution over 1080p will be diminished while 3D will still be great. That might be the reason you like it more.
Bladerunner1959 likes this.
post #3 of 13 Old 04-14-2016, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnesus View Post
4k 3D HDR would be perfect, but for now we have to choose some of those. If you sit far from the TV any impact from 4k resolution over 1080p will be diminished while 3D will still be great. That might be the reason you like it more.
YES! That makes a lot of sense. I do think the effect of 4k even on a 65 inch screen is rather subtle if you compare it to a good HD blu ray transfer, let alone a 3D blu ray. My viewing distance it the recommended 2x the screen diagonal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 04-14-2016, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I just wish they would do more native 3D movies. Really enjoyed movies like Gravity, animated movies that bring out the effects.
post #5 of 13 Old 04-14-2016, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzinc View Post
My viewing distance it the recommended 2x the screen diagonal
You could try 3 x the picture (not the screen) height instead. 3,30m is too far away for immersion and for the 4K resolution.

I am sitting 1.79m away from 50inch Full HD and plan to keep the same distance with 65 inch or 75 inch. Especially cinemascipe movies appear way to small for my eye view.

Prof. Dr. Turrican M.D.
post #6 of 13 Old 04-14-2016, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked: 2459
An outstanding example of 3D done well is the National Geographic "Jerusalem" Blu-Ray disc. It's a 44 minute documentary and was original filmed for Imax theaters. There is a lot of camera panning in the 1080/24P format. I was looking for judder during the panning and there was precious little. Highly recommended.

Buzz
THX Certified Level II Video Calibrator

post #7 of 13 Old 04-14-2016, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican4D View Post
You could try 3 x the picture (not the screen) height instead. 3,30m is too far away for immersion and for the 4K resolution.

I am sitting 1.79m away from 50inch Full HD and plan to keep the same distance with 65 inch or 75 inch. Especially cinemascipe movies appear way to small for my eye view.

I am sure getting closer would give me a more immersive viewing experience, but I find this distance to be quite relaxing. Less intense. And at this viewing distance the 3-D HD has a better sense of depth and detail than 4K 2dto my eyes. That's all I was saying. I'm very happy is all.
post #8 of 13 Old 04-14-2016, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Personally I don't like 3D for movies or TV shows, the scale is completely wrong.
On a 55" set, everything looks very small, like I'm looking at a diorama, and that ruins it for me. I'd rather watch movies in 2D where I don't get that feeling of the image being small.
However I don't find that to be a problem with 3D gaming. The scale still feels small, but it doesn't distract the way that it does in movies/TV.

VR is the first thing that I've seen which does 3D and gets the scale right, so I'd consider watching movies in VR. But I don't know that it's something I'd want to do. So for me, I think 2D is likely to remain my preference for movies.
NintendoManiac64 likes this.
post #9 of 13 Old 04-15-2016, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 72
the 3D looks really good on LG
better than 2D !

i love to see 2D to 3D in lg OLED sd +720P
upscale in oled look bad in 2D

Quote:
3D
After viewing 3D content on the LG 65G6, we came away with the impression that TV makers launched Stereoscopic display in the home five years too early. The quality of the quintessential Avatar on the 4K OLED TV was amazing, to the extent that we felt it was at least as impressive as HDR video, in its own way. The 3D quality presented by the OLED65G6P is a far cry from the off-color, resolution-compromised, dim, murky, and (in the case of plasma) noisy 3D we witnessed on so many LED LCD and Plasma displays during the rush to market that occurred at the end of the 2010s. The best 3-D images give the quality of 2D ones, but with added depth. We saw almost no crosstalk during the tests, and the use of the passive 3D system allowed for a very comfortable, flicker-free tri-dimensional experience. The UHD resolution panel also avoided the obvious “black lines” and resolution loss that 1080p resolution passive 3D TVs suffered from.
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/oled6...1604014268.htm

If you connect a computer to the OLED don't buy oled ( WRGB )
Internet looks awful on oled
post #10 of 13 Old 04-16-2016, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Don't listen to popyang45, he is obsessed with WRGB and blames it for his picture quality problems caused most likely by some setting he uses or bad HDMI cable. (Why does he upscale image from PC anyway? It's hard to understand what he means, maybe he is just trolling.)

Last edited by Magnesus; 04-16-2016 at 10:44 AM.
post #11 of 13 Old 04-16-2016, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican4D View Post
Roughly six feet from a 75" display is really close, probably close enough that you'd have to move your head (or at least swivel your eyes constantly) to take in the entire image.

I sit about 10-11 feet from a 70" screen, and it seems a reasonable distance for an immersive experience without feeling like I'm in the front three rows of a theater.

But whatever works for you, of course. This stuff is often a matter of taste.
post #12 of 13 Old 04-17-2016, 03:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnesus View Post
Don't listen to popyang45, he is obsessed with WRGB and blames it for his picture quality problems caused most likely by some setting he uses or bad HDMI cable. (Why does he upscale image from PC anyway? It's hard to understand what he means, maybe he is just trolling.)
Not "maybe", he IS just a troll. He had already been here with a different account last summer and posted the same crap.

Prof. Dr. Turrican M.D.
post #13 of 13 Old 04-17-2016, 05:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 305
When I got my Sony VW5000 Laser Pr. we deside to watch The Marsian not in 4K UHD in 2D we watch it with my 2 Barco Pr. in 3D Full HD.
The reason was that HDR with the Samsung had a near black bug it chrash all the Details in low IRE
and the 4K UHD had a 2K Master so you not can see more Resolution.

Now as I now have the Panasonic UHD Player we watch the UHD Version but I think the best from all was to see this movie with the BD in 3D!

Even if some day we will have perfekt HDR with wider Color with not any early bugs I thing 3D will be the way to go "if" the Display can Show perfect 3D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page