2016 LG C6-B6 owners thread - Page 231 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 264200Likes

post #6901 of 28181 Old 11-23-2016, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsmith115 View Post
I picked up a new 65B6 today and will be hooking it up tonight. Is there a big difference between 4k HDMI cables and a regular HDMI cables? I run one main cable from the TV to a Denon X2300. The cables are run through the wall, not sure if I should worry about trying to pull a 4K HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV or just try it as is for now. I also have a Samsung 4k blu ray player that I plan on running a 4K HDMI cable from it to the receiver. Any input would be appreciated.
To get that Samsung 4K player working, you'll definitely need new HDMI cables, unless you already have High Speed HDMI cables, which you likely do not. High Speed cables, particularly those that are certified, transmit 18Gbps or close to it.

The issue with the Sammy player is that the home screen blasts in at full 4K resolution; so basically that screen eats a ton of bandwidth. to display HDR10, you only need around 11Gbps, but the work around takes some work.

So, to prepare for my TV I ordered Certified HDMI cables from Monoprice.com. These cables do work; I picked up 4 and they were only $4.06 each.

If you're getting your TV from a store, be prepared to pay a lot more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6902 of 28181 Old 11-23-2016, 06:56 PM
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1964 Post(s)
Liked: 1431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Just tell her, 'I needed it'.

Try not to refer to it as "my precious"

- Rich
MNaudioguy likes this.

Oppo UPD-205 x 2 | UPD-203 | Sonica DAC | Emotiva XMC-1 (v3) | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Benchmark AHB2 x 4 | ATI AT522NC | Velodyne HGS-15 | LG 77C9 | Lumagen 2020 | HDFury Vertex x 2
post #6903 of 28181 Old 11-23-2016, 07:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Why no '24fps mode'?

There has been a lot of discussion regarding 24 fps material, the need for TruMotion, artifacts, etc.

I think my Kuro has the ability to detect 24 fps input and display it at 72Hz, instead of the normal 60Hz (or something similar). That has been around for years, it was automatic, and it mostly worked.

Why don't all high end TV'S utilize something similar? Those movies shot at 24 fps are never going away.

Any clarity would be greatly appreciated. My thanks in advance...
Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6904 of 28181 Old 11-23-2016, 07:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by buju22 View Post
Check out Grand Tour on Amazon. Best HDR video to date. Also, you can't watch HDR videos with the YouTube app regardless of what the video says. Only 2016 Samsung TVs and Google Chromecast Ultra can display YouTube HDR videos.

FYI, I also find that DV looks better than HDR10.
Yes, I have heard the Grand Tour is great and up to a minute ago I had not realized that Amazon streaming was actually available in Canada so I plan to check it out - thanks.

Maybe the two DV clips on the link I posted are just bad examples but to me they are inferior to the HDR10 clips.
post #6905 of 28181 Old 11-23-2016, 08:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
I personally don't use trumotion for 30 or 60fps content no need for it since the set is 120hz.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
So can folks play this 24 fps Youtube video through the LG's WebOS Youtube app with TRUMOTION OFF and share their findings?

post #6906 of 28181 Old 11-23-2016, 08:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Some help please.

Hi guys, I'm thinking of getting a b6 but would like to know a few things if you can clue me in. Are the panels different for each of the 2016 models. I know the b doesn't support 3D. But other than that are they the same. The other thing concerns the VUDU app. I've heard that it doesn't support Dolby Vision. Is this true? Also, is it true that there's no atmos over arc? Anything else you guys feel I should know before hand. Thanks!

LG 65 B6P
Vizio 2014 P 702ui-3B
Samsung K8500, Apple 4K TV
Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV THX
Atlantic technology speakers 5.1 THX
post #6907 of 28181 Old 11-24-2016, 12:20 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
The max the set can show is 750 nits that includes spectral highlights , not sure how you are deriving your numbers but they are wrong !

You are still confused about video levels .

Well, you can say i'm confused or whatever, the only thing i know is that on my B6 doing that i can see details clipped at 1600 nits (Thats the max i can see) while my TV only displays 700, that having the grayscale (if i do the trick of down gamma to 65 while having brightness at 49), thats why i wanted to know if there was another way to have the gamma 1.9 on HDR (You said no) to have that bit of contrast back and low again the brightness to 48

Anyway, this is useless if you dont have @mascior HDR Colour Clipping to see it by yourself so... Unless you see it by yourself there's nothing i can do

All i know is that my TV now can show me detail that i wasnt able to see before, LOT of missing detail, thats all what matter for me

I'd really want to understand why people cant just try the things before laught on people's face, i cant

PS: I perfectly understand that if i'm working with RGB Limited i should use Black level Low and with RGB Complete Black Level High

Here's the thing, on PS4 HDR if you use Black Level High for RGB Complete, the screen is NEVER PURE BLACK, you have to down the brightness down to 48, and if you use Black Level low and RGB Limited you just kill the colours of the game, thats when i saw that there was something strange on the way this TV uses its black level, the trick of use Black Level high and then down the brightness by 2 points to have back the pure black while having the higher nits details come from that moment, now i've tweaked it to 65 contrast / 49 brightness, still having the same results of brightness 48 but with the difference that i still have the entire grayscale on this way, thats why i wanted to know if there was another way to force Gamma 1.9 on HDR

Last edited by 256k; 11-24-2016 at 12:36 AM.
post #6908 of 28181 Old 11-24-2016, 12:44 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi guys, I just got a B6 a couple of days ago & have a question for other owners out there. I know that with all current OLEDs that banding in dark grey can be quite common, does this improve after running a few compensation cycles or after a certain amount of time? I am phenomenally impressed by the picture of my new set but I have definitely noticed some uneven streaks against a dark background, very rarely visible in real world material but it could still be a distraction when watching certain types of content.

I really love every aspect of this TV & it would drive me crazy to request a replacement or switch to a different model over such a 'small' issue. Any input would be appreciated, thanks.
post #6909 of 28181 Old 11-24-2016, 02:32 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hi,

After few days of back and forth I have made my mind to go with OLED (wohhoo!) but now the question remains is it going to be a B6 or C6.

Three questions:

1. To those lucky guys who have both B6 and C6 (but also to anyone who want to add something) - hdtvtest uk states that E6 has bigger then other TVs judder in 24p material while B6 is no judder. I assume it is down to the processor and E6 has same as C6. I have seen one or two users complaining in this thread about motion in 24p. So for those who have both (I know you are there ) - is 24p judder less on B6 vs C6?

2. I can see on LG website that on 7th? was new Firmware released for C6 did anybody tried it and if yes did it improve things? Was it like major upgrade like B6 crowd has received?

3. As it is passive 3d do we get full 1080p lines due to it being 4k so that passive lines are taken from 4k "headroom" or is still effectively 720p horizontally?

Thanks
post #6910 of 28181 Old 11-24-2016, 05:48 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Yesterday, at the end of watching an Amazon video, Amazon froze on a dark screen with the running circle. I could not clear it. I went to Amazon and deactivated the device. This did not work. I had to unplug the B6 for 5 minutes or so and this fixed it. I had to log in to all of my accounts again. Does anyone know and easier way to clear this?

Justin

LG OLED 65B6P; LG OLED 55B6P
Denon x4200W; (2)
Aperion Verus Grand Speakers
post #6911 of 28181 Old 11-24-2016, 05:56 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am deciding between the Sony 55 930D and 55 OLED, How is the OLED for general prime time viewing? It seems that the OLED would be better for movies and the Sony for general usage?
post #6912 of 28181 Old 11-24-2016, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMABLUHD View Post
To get that Samsung 4K player working, you'll definitely need new HDMI cables, unless you already have High Speed HDMI cables, which you likely do not. High Speed cables, particularly those that are certified, transmit 18Gbps or close to it.

The issue with the Sammy player is that the home screen blasts in at full 4K resolution; so basically that screen eats a ton of bandwidth. to display HDR10, you only need around 11Gbps, but the work around takes some work.

So, to prepare for my TV I ordered Certified HDMI cables from Monoprice.com. These cables do work; I picked up 4 and they were only $4.06 each.

If you're getting your TV from a store, be prepared to pay a lot more.
Thank you for the feedback. I am going to order a few since they are pretty inexpensive.
post #6913 of 28181 Old 11-24-2016, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Honestly, other than gaming (due to input lag issues I've read about) and maybe computer-monitor use (due to potential image-retention issues), I don't see what an LCD would be better at. I actually think the OLED does better at sports and TV shows than it does with movies - simply because of the judder issue with some 24fps movies (at least for me). It's not a huge deal, but definitely something I noticed - although maybe I only noticed it because I was looking for it more because I was "evaluating" my new TV...

But yeah, prime time and sports are awesome on OLED! Even things like Fox News look absolutely awesome on this set.

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk
post #6914 of 28181 Old 11-24-2016, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Hi everybody

Tomorrow, I will be the new Owner of a LG B6.

I sold my horrible Sony X850D.

I'm so happy to be part of OLED now.
post #6915 of 28181 Old 11-24-2016, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobrinl View Post
I am deciding between the Sony 55 930D and 55 OLED, How is the OLED for general prime time viewing? It seems that the OLED would be better for movies and the Sony for general usage?
I compared the Sony to the OLED and couldn't find anything I preferred with the Sony. I literally am amazed every time I turn my OLED on, TV or movies.
post #6916 of 28181 Old 11-24-2016, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3837 Post(s)
Liked: 3775
Quote:
Originally Posted by 256k View Post
Well, you can say i'm confused or whatever, the only thing i know is that on my B6 doing that i can see details clipped at 1600 nits (Thats the max i can see) while my TV only displays 700, that having the grayscale (if i do the trick of down gamma to 65 while having brightness at 49), thats why i wanted to know if there was another way to have the gamma 1.9 on HDR (You said no) to have that bit of contrast back and low again the brightness to 48

Anyway, this is useless if you dont have @mascior HDR Colour Clipping to see it by yourself so... Unless you see it by yourself there's nothing i can do

All i know is that my TV now can show me detail that i wasnt able to see before, LOT of missing detail, thats all what matter for me

I'd really want to understand why people cant just try the things before laught on people's face, i cant

PS: I perfectly understand that if i'm working with RGB Limited i should use Black level Low and with RGB Complete Black Level High

Here's the thing, on PS4 HDR if you use Black Level High for RGB Complete, the screen is NEVER PURE BLACK, you have to down the brightness down to 48, and if you use Black Level low and RGB Limited you just kill the colours of the game, thats when i saw that there was something strange on the way this TV uses its black level, the trick of use Black Level high and then down the brightness by 2 points to have back the pure black while having the higher nits details come from that moment, now i've tweaked it to 65 contrast / 49 brightness, still having the same results of brightness 48 but with the difference that i still have the entire grayscale on this way, thats why i wanted to know if there was another way to force Gamma 1.9 on HDR
You are free to do whatever you like, your initial posts seemed to be recommending we use the wrong video level for source content. I am not doing that because it is wrong. Like Buzz said earlier set the correct video level and it clips where it clips. Maybe for PS4 pro high is the correct video level ? I really have no idea.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
post #6917 of 28181 Old 11-24-2016, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 7370 Post(s)
Liked: 8247
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebna View Post
Hi,

After few days of back and forth I have made my mind to go with OLED (wohhoo!) but now the question remains is it going to be a B6 or C6.

Three questions:

1. To those lucky guys who have both B6 and C6 (but also to anyone who want to add something) - hdtvtest uk states that E6 has bigger then other TVs judder in 24p material while B6 is no judder. I assume it is down to the processor and E6 has same as C6. I have seen one or two users complaining in this thread about motion in 24p. So for those who have both (I know you are there ) - is 24p judder less on B6 vs C6?

2. I can see on LG website that on 7th? was new Firmware released for C6 did anybody tried it and if yes did it improve things? Was it like major upgrade like B6 crowd has received?

3. As it is passive 3d do we get full 1080p lines due to it being 4k so that passive lines are taken from 4k "headroom" or is still effectively 720p horizontally?

Thanks
There is no difference in the handling of judder between any of the OLED models. They're all the same. 24p judder is inherent in the source and can be seen during camera pans. I see no difference in the amount of judder between my B6 OLED and my Sony 940c LCD. Both show it to the same degree.

If 3D is important to you, get the C. If it's not, get the B.
post #6918 of 28181 Old 11-24-2016, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Swantko View Post
I literally am amazed every time I turn my OLED on, TV or movies.
The medical term for that is 'Oleddiction'. Side-effects include a growing honey-do list and a spouse who yells everynight - 'Aren't you ready for bed yet!!'. There is no known cure!
hughh and devon_djh like this.
post #6919 of 28181 Old 11-24-2016, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by umenon View Post
The medical term for that is 'Oleddiction'. Side-effects include a growing honey-do list and a spouse who yells everynight - 'Aren't you ready for bed yet!!'. There is no known cure!
This is true!
clayhans likes this.
post #6920 of 28181 Old 11-24-2016, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

So this video is 60FPS but still seems to benefit from TruMotion ON on my B6. Please play this through the WebOS Youtube app and report your findings. Here is the link -

post #6921 of 28181 Old 11-24-2016, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

post #6922 of 28181 Old 11-24-2016, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2365 Post(s)
Liked: 1942
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinto View Post
Yesterday, at the end of watching an Amazon video, Amazon froze on a dark screen with the running circle. I could not clear it. I went to Amazon and deactivated the device. This did not work. I had to unplug the B6 for 5 minutes or so and this fixed it. I had to log in to all of my accounts again. Does anyone know and easier way to clear this?
1) I have found that running a Amazon streaming title to the very end sometimes causes it to freeze so try to stop the title before the very end

2) In the event a title freezes and the exit, stop, etc. buttons do nothing then simply turn off the device using the power button. Don't deactivate the device through Amazon.

LG 65B8 - Primary
LG 55EG9100 - Bedroom
Sonos Playbase
MS Xbox One S (using strictly as a disk player)
post #6923 of 28181 Old 11-24-2016, 08:20 AM
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1964 Post(s)
Liked: 1431
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIppolito View Post
There has been a lot of discussion regarding 24 fps material, the need for TruMotion, artifacts, etc.

I think my Kuro has the ability to detect 24 fps input and display it at 72Hz, instead of the normal 60Hz (or something similar). That has been around for years, it was automatic, and it mostly worked.

Why don't all high end TV'S utilize something similar? Those movies shot at 24 fps are never going away.

Any clarity would be greatly appreciated. My thanks in advance...
Ron

LG's Real Cinema ON is uses a multiplier for 24p content.
It can easily be seen watching a BD film credits.

- Rich

Oppo UPD-205 x 2 | UPD-203 | Sonica DAC | Emotiva XMC-1 (v3) | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Benchmark AHB2 x 4 | ATI AT522NC | Velodyne HGS-15 | LG 77C9 | Lumagen 2020 | HDFury Vertex x 2
post #6924 of 28181 Old 11-24-2016, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyice426 View Post
Hi guys, I'm thinking of getting a b6 but would like to know a few things if you can clue me in. Are the panels different for each of the 2016 models. I know the b doesn't support 3D. But other than that are they the same. The other thing concerns the VUDU app. I've heard that it doesn't support Dolby Vision. Is this true? Also, is it true that there's no atmos over arc? Anything else you guys feel I should know before hand. Thanks!
Initially VUDU HDR was exclusive to Vizio HDR capable televisions but it's now available on the OLEDs. As for Dolby Vision, VUDU currently only supports Dolby Vision, it's HDR10 that it doesn't support. The big news from VUDU is it has plans to also support HDR10 in the future.

LG 65B8 - Primary
LG 55EG9100 - Bedroom
Sonos Playbase
post #6925 of 28181 Old 11-24-2016, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
1) I have found that running a Amazon streaming title to the very end sometimes causes it to freeze so try to stop the title before the very end

2) In the event a title freezes and the exit, stop, etc. buttons do nothing then simply turn off the device using the power button. Don't deactivate the device through Amazon.
Thank you for the information. Number 1 above: This is what happened. I need to stop it and exit before I visit the restroom. I tried number 2 but this did not work. Nothing seemed to work until I unplugged the TV.

Justin

LG OLED 65B6P; LG OLED 55B6P
Denon x4200W; (2)
Aperion Verus Grand Speakers
post #6926 of 28181 Old 11-24-2016, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by 256k View Post

1. We're laughing because what you are saying is laughable.
2. Just because you can make your TV show stuff that you couldn't see before does not mean that that stuff was MEANT to be seen.

Trick your TV all you want, just don't go saying that everyone should go and set up their TV incorrectly. That's absurd.

I don't know why I keep responding. I hope you enjoy your TV.

LG OLED55B6P | Sony STR-DN1070 | Samsung UBD K8500 | Xbox One S
post #6927 of 28181 Old 11-24-2016, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you for the information. Number 1 above: This is what happened. I need to stop it and exit before I visit the restroom. I tried number 2 but this did not work. Nothing seemed to work until I unplugged the TV.
I'm thinking if you would have unplug your television and not deactivate your device from Amazon you wouldn't of needed to establish your accounts again. Though there are times when I have to do just that with Netflix when I want to engage it but not globally (other Netflix accounts). Still a lot of glitches in the streaming world though it's rare where it's necessary to resort to unplugging a device.

LG 65B8 - Primary
LG 55EG9100 - Bedroom
Sonos Playbase
post #6928 of 28181 Old 11-24-2016, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
Initially VUDU HDR was exclusive to Vizio HDR capable televisions but it's now available on the OLEDs. As for Dolby Vision, VUDU currently only supports Dolby Vision, it's HDR10 that it doesn't support. The big news from VUDU is it has plans to also support HDR10 in the future.
Thanks Venus933. That was one of my main concerns. I have several digital only UHD titles on VUDU. I know the b6 is the sweet spot for OLED, not interested in 3D. I was curious about atmos but it's not a major concern as I'm currently using a 5.1 system. Would be nice to know a full upgrade would be possible but not a deal breaker.

LG 65 B6P
Vizio 2014 P 702ui-3B
Samsung K8500, Apple 4K TV
Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV THX
Atlantic technology speakers 5.1 THX
post #6929 of 28181 Old 11-24-2016, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 84
RVU Help

Hi Guys. Just set up my C6 and love it (of course). I have set it up with Directv Ready which works great. Quick question - anyone know how to set up the Harmony to record and list shows? The LG remote doesnt have those function, so it wont translate to my Harmony. Thanks for your help...and a Happy Thanksgiving to all.
post #6930 of 28181 Old 11-24-2016, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
It's a a bug in the Amazon app. I actually had to unplug my TV to get it working again. If you pause or rewind during Amazon streaming, it'll do that. I hope they fix it soon. No idea if or when though.
chunon likes this.

LG OLED55B6P | Sony STR-DN1070 | Samsung UBD K8500 | Xbox One S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
arc , C6-B6 , calibration , computer , desktop , firmware update , lg c6 pc sdr hdr , lg oled , monitor , oled , oled b6 , oled lg , screen damage , screen uniformity , settings , soundbar , there is sig

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page