2016 LG C6-B6 owners thread - Page 311 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 264200Likes

post #9301 of 28171 Old 12-19-2016, 11:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Another question, if I may. I'm trying to hook an external HDD up to my new OLED 65" B6 and it is not working. I have tried two drives (a 2TB LaCie and a 200GB Western Digital). Both were formatted to FAT32. The LaCie was recognised but when I try to record it says something along the lines of "0 of 196Mb recordable - please attache a drive with at least 1GB". The WD drive doesn't show up at all. Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9302 of 28171 Old 12-20-2016, 12:08 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachDuc View Post
Another question, if I may. I'm trying to hook an external HDD up to my new OLED 65" B6 and it is not working. I have tried two drives (a 2TB LaCie and a 200GB Western Digital). Both were formatted to FAT32. The LaCie was recognised but when I try to record it says something along the lines of "0 of 196Mb recordable - please attache a drive with at least 1GB". The WD drive doesn't show up at all. Any advice?
It's OK. I think I have figured it out. For some reason the disk has two partitions - one of 199MB and the other is 198GB. Once I select the latter it works as expected.
post #9303 of 28171 Old 12-20-2016, 03:51 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrindor View Post
Has it been confirmed that firmware fixed the high input lag in the B6? When it first launched it had nearly double the input lag as the E6, and I remember someone saying firmware fixed it.

Anyone have links to E6 vs B6 input lag comparison on latest firmware?

What exactly do you mean by screen flickering/blinking while connected to your PC? I have been troubleshooting an issue that happens on my E6 with a 4K 60hz 4:4:4 signal. I get random flashes of red and video corruption for a split second a couple times a day, outside of that it's fine. I've been back and forth with LG for months on this issue and they've been unable to reproduce it. They even replaced the entire TV and it still happens. It did not happen on the EF9500 or EG9600 with the same [email protected] 4:4:4 signal, I tried 3 different computers, many overly expensive HDMI cables, all directly connected to the TV. This confirms it's the E6 in my eyes. I was coming here to see if anyone had this problem with the B6, as I was going to ask LG to step me down and give me a partial refund since they cannot fix it.

Your blacks look like mine if I have the brightness 1 or 2 notches too high. I get that if I exceed 51 brightness.
The screen goes completely black for a second or two and then comes back. An indication of a driver crash (Nvidia side of things), I think. That's what I meant by flickering/blinking. I'm in the same boat as you. The only unexplained "fix" that I managed to come up with is connecting the HDMI input to port 3. With ports 1 and 2, I ran into the blinking/flickering and the examples above found in the GIFs I posted. I have not tried port 4. It's really a mystery as to why port 3 works smoothly for me when ALL 4 ports should be equally capable of delivering [email protected] 444. My only theories are:
- Subpar soldering job somewhere within the motherboard of the panel (doubtful)
- Old components/chips installed ie. false advertisement ie. I've been scammed into believing that all ports are equal in terms of signal transfer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgrin
I get this too from my PS4. I haven't nailed it down yet, but the last time I saw it I was not in Game mode and switching to Game mode cleared it up. It has happened on all 3 ports. I believe it only happens with HDR enabled too.
I thought the latest firmware fixed the HDR issue with the PS4.

Thing is though, I'm not really gaming on my PC. I've set the icon to "PC" on HDMI port 3 in order to utilize "Deep Color" and so far everything has been running great. The weird thing is though, why can't I be problem-free with ports 1 and 2 with the same setup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9304 of 28171 Old 12-20-2016, 03:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3837 Post(s)
Liked: 3775
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
How notable is the improvement running TWC through the oppo? Assuming there is an improvement. Thanks.
That's hard to quantify without an a/b comparison I do think there is an improvement over the 103d scaling. Didn't get to spend much time with it last night.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
post #9305 of 28171 Old 12-20-2016, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking 29 View Post
I can't wait to see the results of that. I'd like to hear what your 2 point comes out as. I know I can't copy them but I'm curious anyways.
I won't be able to share any specific settings but you'll be able to see what the trend is from the pre and post calibration charts.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #9306 of 28171 Old 12-20-2016, 05:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
I won't be able to share any specific settings but you'll be able to see what the trend is from the pre and post calibration charts.

Cool!
post #9307 of 28171 Old 12-20-2016, 05:41 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 21
What's an "oppo"?
post #9308 of 28171 Old 12-20-2016, 05:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by mentsmin View Post
What's an "oppo"?
Not sure if you were serious or not, but just in case....

Oppo is a brand name - they make higher-end video components and just released a higher-end 4k BluRay player...

If you were just being sarcastic, then please ignore this post! :-)

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk
lightandsound likes this.
post #9309 of 28171 Old 12-20-2016, 05:50 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone have any cool apps to talk about from the LG Content Store? Just wondering if I'm missing any cool functionality that an app provides (haven't spent a lot of time in the Content Store).

Or any games that are actually worthwhile?

post #9310 of 28171 Old 12-20-2016, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just tried my first HDR content last night (Netflix, a couple different shows, but mostly Daredevil). Really impressive the range it shows, but also a little hard on the eyes during dark scenes with specular highlights, or backlit areas. So my question is... is there any way to tone down the highlights a bit on HDR (DolbyVision) mode without crushing the shadows too much? I left backlight/brightness/contrast on default settings for DolbyVision since so many of the options were greyed out, and I was short on time. Any general advice for HDR modes would be greatly appreciated

Also, related, the mode seems to force the 'soap opera effect', not sure if its just 60fps and I'm used to 24, or if it has some smoothing forced on. I turned off everything I could, but iirc, realcinema or something was on.
post #9311 of 28171 Old 12-20-2016, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorkington View Post
Just tried my first HDR content last night (Netflix, a couple different shows, but mostly Daredevil). Really impressive the range it shows, but also a little hard on the eyes during dark scenes with specular highlights, or backlit areas. So my question is... is there any way to tone down the highlights a bit on HDR (DolbyVision) mode without crushing the shadows too much? I left backlight/brightness/contrast on default settings for DolbyVision since so many of the options were greyed out, and I was short on time. Any general advice for HDR modes would be greatly appreciated

Also, related, the mode seems to force the 'soap opera effect', not sure if its just 60fps and I'm used to 24, or if it has some smoothing forced on. I turned off everything I could, but iirc, realcinema or something was on.
Make sure trumotion motion isn't on "clear" that is default for many picture modes definitely produces SOE. Can you change oled light in DV mode don't recall?

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #9312 of 28171 Old 12-20-2016, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
Not sure if you were serious or not, but just in case....

Oppo is a brand name - they make higher-end video components and just released a higher-end 4k BluRay player...

If you were just being sarcastic, then please ignore this post! :-)
lol I was being serious (although my googling did bring me to the brand name at least). But everyone is referring to the blu-ray player? Does it also upscale other media?
post #9313 of 28171 Old 12-20-2016, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Anyone have an update on the hdr game mode update for the B6? Haven't seen it pushed to my set as of yet.
post #9314 of 28171 Old 12-20-2016, 06:15 AM

Quote:
lol I was being serious (although my googling did bring me to the brand name at least). But everyone is referring to the blu-ray player? Does it also upscale other media?
It has a hdmi in that upscales doesn't pass HDR right now.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #9315 of 28171 Old 12-20-2016, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Did you turn it off after the media started playing? There's a separate set of settings for 4k, and another for HDR, and another for Dolby Vision...
post #9316 of 28171 Old 12-20-2016, 06:22 AM

Quote:
It has a hdmi in that upscales doesn't pass HDR right now.
Oh OK I see. Am I correct in understanding that the xbox one s also upscales (were I to run my DirecTV box through it)? I actually think a lot of television programs do pretty well with the B6 upscaler (I just use our receiver as a pass-through). I tend to be less impressed with premium channel movies though--more compression artifacts that are obvious to me. And the showtime anytime app is awful, although it seems like that's a known issue. HBO Go seems better, although I still notice gradations in images that I assume are supposed to appear uniformly grey...I guess this is from compression as well.
post #9317 of 28171 Old 12-20-2016, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Make sure trumotion motion isn't on "clear" that is default for many picture modes definitely produces SOE. Can you change oled light in DV mode don't recall?

Yeah, I turned TrueMotion off, but I think it had the other setting as greyed out and 'on'. At work and my memory sucks, so don't hold me to any specifics haha.

IIRC, OLED light/contrast/brightness were available.

Can you refresh my memory on the difference between OLED light and brightness?

Last edited by Dorkington; 12-20-2016 at 06:29 AM.
post #9318 of 28171 Old 12-20-2016, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Oh OK I see. Am I correct in understanding that the xbox one s also upscales (were I to run my DirecTV box through it)? I actually think a lot of television programs do pretty well with the B6 upscaler (I just use our receiver as a pass-through). I tend to be less impressed with premium channel movies though--more compression artifacts that are obvious to me. And the showtime anytime app is awful, although it seems like that's a known issue. HBO Go seems better, although I still notice gradations in images that I assume are supposed to appear uniformly grey...I guess this is from compression as well.
Yes the xbox1 s upscales, I have one report from a calibrator that it degrades pq tho. The Oppo is definitely a premium product not for everyone.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #9319 of 28171 Old 12-20-2016, 07:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by JourdanM View Post
Anyone have an update on the hdr game mode update for the B6? Haven't seen it pushed to my set as of yet.
Nothin' yet.

I called VIP support yesterday and was told it is definitely coming, but no date yet, and to call back after the Holidays...

xbox: McFly1955
ps4: GeorgeMcFly1955
post #9320 of 28171 Old 12-20-2016, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

What about YouTube HDR? Anyone have any info on whether the B6/C6 will be getting that? It seems that the E6 already has it (strange that the C6 doesn't since it's the same chipset - or is it??).

Kruppa likes this.
post #9321 of 28171 Old 12-20-2016, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthershutch15 View Post
Nothin' yet.

I called VIP support yesterday and was told it is definitely coming, but no date yet, and to call back after the Holidays...
Is the delay because the B6 uses a different chipset?
post #9322 of 28171 Old 12-20-2016, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthershutch15 View Post
Nothin' yet.

Ugh...that sucks.

Quote:
Is the delay because the B6 uses a different chipset?
That's why we think it's been delayed. The chipset is used in other LG TVs on the LCD side so it's not like this is the only TV in the LG lineup using it.

65C8P l 65B6P l P55-C1 l Shockwafe Ultra 9.2 & Elite 7.2 l XB1 X l PS4 Pro l Switch
post #9323 of 28171 Old 12-20-2016, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
+1. The first couple I tried were nothing special and wanted money are a quick trail period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
Anyone have any cool apps to talk about from the LG Content Store? Just wondering if I'm missing any cool functionality that an app provides (haven't spent a lot of time in the Content Store).

Or any games that are actually worthwhile?

post #9324 of 28171 Old 12-20-2016, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
I can't wait to see the results of that. I'd like to hear what your 2 point comes out as. I know I can't copy them but I'm curious anyways.
Panels all vary, especially depending on when they where made, etc but generally sets do exhibit similar behavior so U can always try copying settings and see how close they come out. I copied the Home theater geeks 2 point settings and it made the colors way more accurate on my set. Are they as good as if I had my personal set calibrated? no, but are they better than the original? absolutely. My B6 was lacking in Red and once I used their settings it fixed that issue.
post #9325 of 28171 Old 12-20-2016, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by smadwookiee View Post
I have been following this thread for a long time. I have a 65" B6 with approximately 100 hours on it. I love the screen, but I am having this annoying issue. I see it only on dark gray backgrounds. It looks like there are jagged edges in the color gradations. I don't know whether this is a panel problem, a source problem, or a settings problem. I have attached a photo of my screen from Season 2 of Man in the High Castle which shows the problem. It's there, to varying degrees, with OLED light from 39-100 and on both ISF Dark and Bright. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thank you.
Yep, I saw that too. Exactly that using the Amazon app on the TV. I switched to the app on my Samsung k8500 bluray player and the picture was perfect. So it's not a panel issue or a settings issue. I deduced that it was a network stream issue. Use the web browser on the TV and try a speedtest (www.speedtest.net). for me, that showed a terrible download speed. Same test on the K8500 showed expected results (I have up to 100 Mbps from my cable provider). The problem you are seeing is a result of the Amazon app downgrading the stream because of poor network performance on the TV. I still need to do some investigating, but on my B6, my network performance is consistently substandard. Even a direct connection (no wifi) is poor...worse actually than wifi. Very strange. For now, I have just switched to streaming from my K8500. Everything looks great from there.

LG OLED55B6P | Sony STR-DN1070 | Samsung UBD K8500 | Xbox One S

Last edited by dwarfnebula; 12-20-2016 at 08:02 AM.
post #9326 of 28171 Old 12-20-2016, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Yeah ridiculous! I love my b6 but not sure why lg does some of the things they do. I'd love to see if my signal is 24 or 60 hz as well. Oh well.
I believe you can see if the TV is receiving 24hz in the settings, since the Real Cinema option is grayed out for 60hz. You have to turn TruMotion Off to see it though, since it's also grayed out when TruMotion is on. Not nearly as convenient as a popup, odd that LG doesn't provide that info alongside the other input info.

I believe that when Real Cinema is grayed out, it's not active, even when it's showing "On". I see judder clearly with TruMotion on and both set to "0" in that case. I think Real Cinema is for 24hz sources only, you have to use non-zero DeJudder to smooth away judder from 60 hz sources.
post #9327 of 28171 Old 12-20-2016, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiro77 View Post
I am a big fan of what most people here consider over saturated picture settings that have very aggressive dynamics. Any recommendations for settings that provide intense pop?
I suspect the out of the box "Vivid" or Bright picture modes were made for you. You might also try the "HDR Effect" preset.

LG OLED55B6P | Sony STR-DN1070 | Samsung UBD K8500 | Xbox One S
post #9328 of 28171 Old 12-20-2016, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Slone View Post
I believe you can see if the TV is receiving 24hz in the settings, since the Real Cinema option is grayed out for 60hz. You have to turn TruMotion Off to see it though, since it's also grayed out when TruMotion is on. Not nearly as convenient as a popup, odd that LG doesn't provide that info alongside the other input info.

I believe that when Real Cinema is grayed out, it's not active, even when it's showing "On". I see judder clearly with TruMotion on and both set to "0" in that case. I think Real Cinema is for 24hz sources only, you have to use non-zero DeJudder to smooth away judder from 60 hz sources.
Someone had previously mentioned that RealCinema was only for interlaced sources (1080i) - and the setting does seem to go inactive/active based on that (if I set my cable box to 1080i output, RealCinema is available to be set - if I set to 720p or 1080p, it's greyed out).

post #9329 of 28171 Old 12-20-2016, 08:06 AM

The software versions of the E6,G6 and C6 are the same hence it's the same chip set. Nothing like starting bs just to be noticed .

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #9330 of 28171 Old 12-20-2016, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsfabyo View Post
Panels all vary, especially depending on when they where made, etc but generally sets do exhibit similar behavior so U can always try copying settings and see how close they come out. I copied the Home theater geeks 2 point settings and it made the colors way more accurate on my set. Are they as good as if I had my personal set calibrated? no, but are they better than the original? absolutely. My B6 was lacking in Red and once I used their settings it fixed that issue.
No offense but how do you know they are more accurate ?

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
arc , C6-B6 , calibration , computer , desktop , firmware update , lg c6 pc sdr hdr , lg oled , monitor , oled , oled b6 , oled lg , screen damage , screen uniformity , settings , soundbar , there is sig

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page