2016 LG C6-B6 owners thread - Page 341 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 264223Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #10201 of 28259 Old 12-29-2016, 03:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx77 View Post
Thanks! So, no worries about image retention watching a 2:35:1 movie? I dont want to be paranoid, just careful.
You might hear people saying that IR is an issue with these sets. Again, I'm no expert, but I think that issue has been overblown. There's built-in technology on these sets (they're light years ahead of where plasma sets were). There's a pixel shift option that is enabled by default and there is also a built in screen cleaning function that happens automatically after every four hours of use. Just anecdotally, I played through the entire Bioshock Infinite game over the Thanksgiving weekend. The set was on for hour after hour with certain images displayed continually. I had no IR issues whatsoever. One time, while watching the National Geographic Channel (which has a bright yellow channel logo that is displayed constantly), I did notice a little retention when switching channels (on a black screen). But it quickly dissipated and I never saw it again. Like you, I heard about the issue and became a bit paranoid about it so I was looking for it. From everything that I have read and everything that I have seen in person, the whole IR thing is a non-issue. Long answer to a short question. Watch 2:35:1 to your heart's content.

LG OLED55B6P | Sony STR-DN1070 | Samsung UBD K8500 | Xbox One S
dwarfnebula is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #10202 of 28259 Old 12-29-2016, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
Viking 29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Alamogordo NM
Posts: 716
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 295
I just watched Oblivion. Now THAT is a movie with a GREAT color presentation! What a visual treat! I'm amazed at how poorly some content is mastered these days now that I got a tv that's reference quality. For the poster talking about having grey source material and black bars I've seen it lots. Just watch Cars and the previews have a few trailers with milky grey blacks. The movie itself looks great however.
Viking 29 is online now  
post #10203 of 28259 Old 12-29-2016, 03:45 PM
 
Quebecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,490
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockycandy View Post
What colors do you see?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
I see the real official dress color.

Blue and dark-brown.

You guys should really give the remote control to your wife's
Quebecker is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #10204 of 28259 Old 12-29-2016, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Aetherhole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Tustin, CA
Posts: 1,627
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 482
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...ress.html?_r=0

The dress was actually black and blue. The picture's light level was completely overblown.

LG OLED65C6P ISF Calibrated by David Abrams @ Avical
Marantz AV8801 / D-Sonic M2500 / Oppo UDP-203
GR Research LS-9 / GR Research X-Voce / GR Research AV-1RS / Oppo PM-1
Aetherhole is offline  
post #10205 of 28259 Old 12-29-2016, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
Viking 29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Alamogordo NM
Posts: 716
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarfnebula View Post
You might hear people saying that IR is an issue with these sets. Again, I'm no expert, but I think that issue has been overblown. There's built-in technology on these sets (they're light years ahead of where plasma sets were). There's a pixel shift option that is enabled by default and there is also a built in screen cleaning function that happens automatically after every four hours of use. Just anecdotally, I played through the entire Bioshock Infinite game over the Thanksgiving weekend. The set was on for hour after hour with certain images displayed continually. I had no IR issues whatsoever. One time, while watching the National Geographic Channel (which has a bright yellow channel logo that is displayed constantly), I did notice a little retention when switching channels (on a black screen). But it quickly dissipated and I never saw it again. Like you, I heard about the issue and became a bit paranoid about it so I was looking for it. From everything that I have read and everything that I have seen in person, the whole IR thing is a non-issue. Long answer to a short question. Watch 2:35:1 to your heart's content.
Spot on post! I've played Halo for hours! Nothing. Zip. Nada. Zilch. As far as I can tell it's a ploy by other technology display people to post a negative about OLED. Image retention is a non issue for me and I've had 2 b6ps so far.
Viking 29 is online now  
post #10206 of 28259 Old 12-29-2016, 03:45 PM
Newbie
 
ChrisM001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarfnebula View Post
Right, I'm not an expert, so it may be defined as something other than "compression artifacts." I'm just saying it's the stream. I see what you are seeing. It's fairly common, but nothing to get hung up on. It's not the panel. It's the Amazon app.
I'm not sure. Do you see the random pixels (which the red arrow points to) when you start Goliath Ultra HD episode 8 in the Amazon app (you have to start the episode 2-3 times to see the pixels)?
Who else sees the pixels? Who doesn't see them?
Click image for larger version

Name:	vid1_marked.png
Views:	73
Size:	485.4 KB
ID:	1861241
Click image for larger version

Name:	vid2_marked.png
Views:	64
Size:	489.1 KB
ID:	1861249
ChrisM001 is offline  
post #10207 of 28259 Old 12-29-2016, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
Viking 29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Alamogordo NM
Posts: 716
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebecker View Post
I see the real official dress color.

Blue and dark-brown.

You guys should really give the remote control to your wife's
That's what I see. With some lighter brown in one part of the pattern. It almost borders goldish
Viking 29 is online now  
post #10208 of 28259 Old 12-29-2016, 03:47 PM
 
Quebecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,490
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking 29 View Post
There are some areas that look goldish to me.
I can understand the slight gold area spot.

But white?

WTF?

White is the forum background.... This is BLUE.
Quebecker is offline  
post #10209 of 28259 Old 12-29-2016, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
Viking 29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Alamogordo NM
Posts: 716
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebecker View Post
I can understand the slight gold area spot.

But white?

WTF?

White is the forum background.... This is BLUE.
Agree. Color me floored that anyone would call that white! I do get that we all see things differently however. That just shocks me! Didn't realize perceptions could be that far apart.
Viking 29 is online now  
post #10210 of 28259 Old 12-29-2016, 03:51 PM
 
rockycandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking 29 View Post
There are some areas that look goldish to me.
Sorry to hear that...we are both outcasts

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
MizenBerknar likes this.
rockycandy is offline  
post #10211 of 28259 Old 12-29-2016, 03:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM001 View Post
I'm not sure. Do you see the random pixels (which the red arrow points to) when you start Goliath Ultra HD episode 8 in the Amazon app (you have to start the episode 2-3 times to see the pixels)?
Who else sees the pixels? Who doesn't see them?
Attachment 1861241
Attachment 1861249
Yes. Happens all the time when I watch content on Amazon. Particularly when it is starting up or ending a program. I'll shut up now and let someone else chime in. But at least you know that I see it too. But only in Amazon. If you see that happening elsewhere (particularly if not streaming) then you might indeed have a panel issue. I doubt that, but what do I know?

LG OLED55B6P | Sony STR-DN1070 | Samsung UBD K8500 | Xbox One S
dwarfnebula is offline  
post #10212 of 28259 Old 12-29-2016, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
Viking 29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Alamogordo NM
Posts: 716
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockycandy View Post
Sorry to hear that...we are both outcasts

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
Overall I'd say the picture is blue and brown in scheme. This is definitely interesting.
Viking 29 is online now  
post #10213 of 28259 Old 12-29-2016, 03:54 PM
 
rockycandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aetherhole View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...ress.html?_r=0

The dress was actually black and blue. The picture's light level was completely overblown.
Please tell me dress #1 is not same colour as dress #2

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
rockycandy is offline  
post #10214 of 28259 Old 12-29-2016, 03:54 PM
Member
 
kematt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebecker View Post
This would explain your strange TV setting.
white-gold
kematt is offline  
post #10215 of 28259 Old 12-29-2016, 03:55 PM
 
rockycandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking 29 View Post
Agree. Color me floored that anyone would call that white! I do get that we all see things differently however. That just shocks me! Didn't realize perceptions could be that far apart.
To me that looks as white as snow...and the gold is very...gold

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
MizenBerknar likes this.
rockycandy is offline  
post #10216 of 28259 Old 12-29-2016, 03:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking 29 View Post
Agree. Color me floored that anyone would call that white! I do get that we all see things differently however. That just shocks me! Didn't realize perceptions could be that far apart.
It's how you perceive the ambient light in the picture. I see the dress in shadow and therefore clearly see it as white/gold. I'm sorry that I hijacked this thread with this. There was a huge internet storm a couple of years ago over this and I should have known this would happen. My only point was that a lot of what we "clearly see" on these sets is subjective. The issues raised are nonetheless still very real. There's just no "right" answer to them.
MizenBerknar likes this.

LG OLED55B6P | Sony STR-DN1070 | Samsung UBD K8500 | Xbox One S
dwarfnebula is offline  
post #10217 of 28259 Old 12-29-2016, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Aetherhole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Tustin, CA
Posts: 1,627
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockycandy View Post
Please tell me dress #1 is not same colour as dress #2

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
Same dress.

LG OLED65C6P ISF Calibrated by David Abrams @ Avical
Marantz AV8801 / D-Sonic M2500 / Oppo UDP-203
GR Research LS-9 / GR Research X-Voce / GR Research AV-1RS / Oppo PM-1
Aetherhole is offline  
post #10218 of 28259 Old 12-29-2016, 04:04 PM
Newbie
 
ChrisM001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarfnebula View Post
Yes. Happens all the time when I watch content on Amazon. Particularly when it is starting up or ending a program. I'll shut up now and let someone else chime in. But at least you know that I see it too. But only in Amazon. If you see that happening elsewhere (particularly if not streaming) then you might indeed have a panel issue. I doubt that, but what do I know?
Thanks for your helpful feedback and thanks that you answered at all! In contrast to all others until now.
It seems to be difficult to motivate people here and in other forums to check concrete issues. Instead many like to talk about the same subjects again and again.
ChrisM001 is offline  
post #10219 of 28259 Old 12-29-2016, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
jtrosky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 996
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Wow - and people are moaning about my motion-related posts when the last few pages have been discussing a dress color! <sigh> Really??

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk
jtrosky is online now  
post #10220 of 28259 Old 12-29-2016, 04:08 PM
 
Quebecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,490
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
Wow - and people are moaning about my motion-related posts when the last few pages have been discussing a dress color! <sigh> Really??

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk
This is related.

Motion is subjective (Even though that damn dress is blue-black).

You see bad motion. I see good motion.

There's no fighting.
ma1746 and MizenBerknar like this.
Quebecker is offline  
post #10221 of 28259 Old 12-29-2016, 04:10 PM
Senior Member
 
tomhorsley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 478
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aetherhole View Post
Same dress.
But not same photograph. As far as I know, no one ever found any people who looked at the actual dress and saw different results, only photographs processed through who knows what software on monitors with who knows what calibration.
tomhorsley is offline  
post #10222 of 28259 Old 12-29-2016, 04:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
But not same photograph. As far as I know, no one ever found any people who looked at the actual dress and saw different results, only photographs processed through who knows what software on monitors with who knows what calibration.
Right. The photograph was specifically manipulated to be ambiguous as to the light source. It's a very clever demonstration of an optical illusion. You wouldn't have any trouble with the actual dress. I'll make the point again...all motion that you perceive on any TV set (or any screen) is an optical illusion. People are going to perceive it differently. Those who have problems with motion on these sets are not lying or stupid. They're just perceiving it differently. The thing that gets old though (in my opinion) is constant posts about the same thing. Check out any owners' thread and you'll find the same issues. If the options available to you don't work for you (TruMotion and Real Cinema) then they don't work for you. Move on. Again, I don't mean to be Officer Krupke here. Post what you like. And peace.
MizenBerknar likes this.

LG OLED55B6P | Sony STR-DN1070 | Samsung UBD K8500 | Xbox One S

Last edited by dwarfnebula; 12-29-2016 at 04:22 PM.
dwarfnebula is offline  
post #10223 of 28259 Old 12-29-2016, 04:37 PM
 
rockycandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarfnebula View Post
It's how you perceive the ambient light in the picture. I see the dress in shadow and therefore clearly see it as white/gold. I'm sorry that I hijacked this thread with this. There was a huge internet storm a couple of years ago over this and I should have known this would happen. My only point was that a lot of what we "clearly see" on these sets is subjective. The issues raised are nonetheless still very real. There's just no "right" answer to them.
I want to see black and blue in that pic. How can I do that?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
rockycandy is offline  
post #10224 of 28259 Old 12-29-2016, 04:38 PM
 
rockycandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aetherhole View Post
Same dress.
I hate you...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
Aetherhole and MizenBerknar like this.
rockycandy is offline  
post #10225 of 28259 Old 12-29-2016, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 11,437
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3852 Post(s)
Liked: 3807
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wir...lor-dress/amp/

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
chunon is online now  
post #10226 of 28259 Old 12-29-2016, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
I WANT MORE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: 'Middle of Nowhere
Posts: 2,727
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Do we really have to rehash this dress bull**** again here?
TrueDis and Gabatta like this.

Perhaps I misremembered.

I WANT MORE is offline  
post #10227 of 28259 Old 12-29-2016, 04:44 PM
 
rockycandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by I WANT MORE View Post
Do we really have to rehash this dress bull**** again here?
It was new to me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
rockycandy is offline  
post #10228 of 28259 Old 12-29-2016, 04:55 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockycandy View Post
I want to see black and blue in that pic. How can I do that?
Google it and look at the original picture. Clearly black and blue. The manipulated image posted here shows light blue and brown hues on this photo-calibrated monitor.

55B6P
AV Challenged is offline  
post #10229 of 28259 Old 12-29-2016, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Aetherhole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Tustin, CA
Posts: 1,627
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 482
So back to the topic of the OLEDs... I'd love to hear your guys go-to movies to show off the 3D capabilities of this TV.

So far I've watched Finding Dory all the way through.

I've popped a few other discs in just for a few minutes each to see how they were:

How to Train Your Dragon 1
How to Train Your Dragon 2
Monster's Inc.
Star Wars The Force Awakens
Kubo
Tangled
Ghostbusters (2016)
Transformers: Age of Extinction

LG OLED65C6P ISF Calibrated by David Abrams @ Avical
Marantz AV8801 / D-Sonic M2500 / Oppo UDP-203
GR Research LS-9 / GR Research X-Voce / GR Research AV-1RS / Oppo PM-1
Aetherhole is offline  
post #10230 of 28259 Old 12-29-2016, 05:01 PM
 
Quebecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,490
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by I WANT MORE View Post
Do we really have to rehash this dress bull**** again here?
It was also new to me.
Quebecker is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
arc , C6-B6 , calibration , computer , desktop , firmware update , lg c6 pc sdr hdr , lg oled , monitor , oled , oled b6 , oled lg , screen damage , screen uniformity , settings , soundbar , there is sig

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off