2016 LG C6-B6 owners thread - Page 348 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 264202Likes

post #10411 of 28186 Old 12-31-2016, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkahdafi View Post
Thanks. Good hint. I just tried it, and while it reveals all the details in the black areas that were crushed before, the picture now looks very washed out. Everything that was black is now grey.
Did you reduce the brightness to normal value, 50 or is it still at 58?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10412 of 28186 Old 12-31-2016, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebecker View Post
Did you reduce the brightness to normal value, 50 or is it still at 58?
I reduced that the second after I saw what it did to my picture So it's back to 50. Another thing I just found out (comparing the exact same picture in Plex on Shield with Plex on webOS): The shield has a yellow/orange tint. It's much "warmer" compared to Plex on webOS. Both use the same picture setting though.

I guess the Deep Color on the HDMI input is just not working correctly with the Shield (unless the Shield plays HDR content)?
post #10413 of 28186 Old 12-31-2016, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2365 Post(s)
Liked: 1942
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerchiarax View Post
Has anyone noticed microscratches/hairline scratches on there TV? I had the Samsung Plasma E7000 prior to this television and I don't believe I've ever come across any scratches on that TV or maybe I'm just looking closer then usual. I did clean the set the other day since my God son decided to touch the screen a few times, since it looks like a oversized phone to him .I used a proper cloth with a Flat Screen Cleaner to clean the screen, not sure if that caused it as I wasn't looking that close before. You can only really see the scratches, that I think are scratches up close in an angle, other then that I can never see them when watching actual content. Maybe I'm just being hyper sensitive about it. But figured I throw it out there...

Note: Sorry if this is off topic, from what is generally posted in this thread. Also If I get my TV Pro calibrated, maybe I can get tips on how best to clean this TV.
The E7000 has a glass panel and is less prone to scratches though you still need to be mindful of the anti glare filter. In your case I guess we don't if the screen had scratches before you cleaned it but yeah, you need to be somewhat careful when cleaning the screen.
cerchiarax likes this.

LG 65B8 - Primary
LG 55EG9100 - Bedroom
Sonos Playbase
MS Xbox One S (using strictly as a disk player)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10414 of 28186 Old 12-31-2016, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockycandy View Post
Well at least I know my settings/panel are not off

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

The one way to tell for sure is load the 0% black image off the AVS download to USB and display it on the tv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10415 of 28186 Old 12-31-2016, 09:07 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1709 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Quote:
Has anyone noticed microscratches/hairline scratches on there TV? I had the Samsung Plasma E7000 prior to this television and I don't believe I've ever come across any scratches on that TV or maybe I'm just looking closer then usual. I did clean the set the other day since my God son decided to touch the screen a few times, since it looks like a oversized phone to him .I used a proper cloth with a Flat Screen Cleaner to clean the screen, not sure if that caused it as I wasn't looking that close before. You can only really see the scratches, that I think are scratches up close in an angle, other then that I can never see them when watching actual content. Maybe I'm just being hyper sensitive about it. But figured I throw it out there...

Note: Sorry if this is off topic, from what is generally posted in this thread. Also If I get my TV Pro calibrated, maybe I can get tips on how best to clean this TV.
Distilled water and a microfiber towel is what is usually recommended. Distilled water so that it doesn't leave any chemical deposits when it dries and the microfiber towel for something that doesn't setup a lot of friction on the display.
cerchiarax and MizenBerknar like this.
post #10416 of 28186 Old 12-31-2016, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Batman Returns is pretty good for testing blacks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Catwoman_sm.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	1865737  
rockycandy likes this.
post #10417 of 28186 Old 12-31-2016, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooloregon View Post
Try "Grand Tour" on Amazon. My B6 shows it as HDR10. You must change your speaker setting from, internal to internal + Audio Out (Optical) and also in able Simplink.

Hi Cooloregon I tried the internal + hdmi out and also enabled simplink. But that did not help. On my Denon receiver I selected the TV Audio mode. No sound out of the receiver.
I updated LG firmware to latest but looks like this ARC issue has not been resolved yet. How is the ARC working on your B6?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #10418 of 28186 Old 12-31-2016, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I'm thinking of upgrading to OLED from Plasma in the future, my main concern is the screen brightness because I prefer to watch movies in a dark room with little to no lighting and Plasmas are perfect for it because they are not too bright. My 2010 Toshiba LCD is old and it's still brighter than my Panasonic ST 60, and it's hard to watch movies on that TV in a dark room. Will an OLED fit the bill or would it just be too bright?
post #10419 of 28186 Old 12-31-2016, 10:28 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Castrejon View Post
I'm thinking of upgrading to OLED from Plasma in the future, my main concern is the screen brightness because I prefer to watch movies in a dark room with little to no lighting and Plasmas are perfect for it because they are not too bright. My 2010 Toshiba LCD is old and it's still brighter than my Panasonic ST 60, and it's hard to watch movies on that TV in a dark room. Will an OLED fit the bill or would it just be too bright?
Just turn OLED light to 0.

It will be very dim.
post #10420 of 28186 Old 12-31-2016, 10:34 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1709 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebecker View Post
Just turn OLED light to 0.

It will be very dim.
Maybe not zero but you can reduce the brightness of any set including your Toshiba LCD by lowering backlight, OLED light and/or contrast. There is usually a combination that's optimal as some combinations reduce color depth. For instance, on the B6 OLED, you don't want to reduce contrast below 85, so you'd make up the difference with OLED light.
post #10421 of 28186 Old 01-01-2017, 12:46 AM

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
Maybe not zero but you can reduce the brightness of any set including your Toshiba LCD by lowering backlight, OLED light and/or contrast. There is usually a combination that's optimal as some combinations reduce color depth. For instance, on the B6 OLED, you don't want to reduce contrast below 85, so you'd make up the difference with OLED light.
So this OLED light is like the backlight of an LCD that reduces panel brightness without affecting the colors/contrast? On my Toshiba I do lower it, but since it's LCD the backlight can't really turn itself off.
post #10422 of 28186 Old 01-01-2017, 01:14 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by pssriram16 View Post
Hi Cooloregon I tried the internal + hdmi out and also enabled simplink. But that did not help. On my Denon receiver I selected the TV Audio mode. No sound out of the receiver.
I updated LG firmware to latest but looks like this ARC issue has not been resolved yet. How is the ARC working on your B6?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
OK, lets look at it... right now 'm using it to watch the new years celebration on tv thru my oppo (set to hdmi in arc) to my onkyo receiver. Please go with your remote the setting button and click "all setting", then click "sound", click "sound out", check "audio out (optical/hdmi arc), digital sound out "auto" and simplink(hdmi-cec) "on". If you are running it to your receiver, just make sure arc is enabled.

LG OLED65B6P (using i.rtings.com setting.)
Oppo UDP-203
Onkyo TX-RZ810B
Apple TV4
Polk Audio speakers 5.1
MonoPrice HDMI Certified cables
post #10423 of 28186 Old 01-01-2017, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Why would you have to set it to "internal + optical out"? That way sound is playing from both the internal AND the external speakers.
Sorry, this is the setting for LG's OLEDB6s. But I should have said, Audio Out (Optical Out/ HDMI ARC) my bad.

Oppo UDP-203
Onkyo TX-RZ810B
Apple TV4
Polk Audio speakers 5.1
post #10424 of 28186 Old 01-01-2017, 01:30 AM

Quote:
I have mine set to 70 for OLED and 85 for Contrast but. I don't like watching in total dark room, bad for your eyes. when watching HDR10 the B6 setting is 100 for both... I came over from a VT60 by the way.

Oppo UDP-203
Onkyo TX-RZ810B
Apple TV4
Polk Audio speakers 5.1
post #10425 of 28186 Old 01-01-2017, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Pro-Calibration is not an option at this point. Here in Germany those calibrators want 600 EUR upwards.

Anyway, meanwhile, I nailed it down to the nVidia Shield (plus Plex). When I use the Plex client on webOS the black crush mostly disappears, so it must have something to do with the Shield.

When the Shield is set to 4K output, it disables all other HDMI picture settings and sets them to full dynamic range and 4:2:0 color output. Not sure if that has something to do with it, but it's clear that the Shield output is very dark and crushes blacks massively.

Unfortunately, the Plex client on webOS does not play back any 4K content whatsoever (Plex server has to transcode to 1080p).

Which is a real dilemma for me.
I've watched this same content on the LG's own Netflix app and it looks very good.

Oppo UDP-203
Onkyo TX-RZ810B
Apple TV4
Polk Audio speakers 5.1
post #10426 of 28186 Old 01-01-2017, 01:40 AM

Quote:

Micro cloth w/plain old water. Please do not use any cleaner.
cerchiarax likes this.

Oppo UDP-203
Onkyo TX-RZ810B
Apple TV4
Polk Audio speakers 5.1
post #10427 of 28186 Old 01-01-2017, 01:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3249 Post(s)
Liked: 4043
Quote:
Originally Posted by shield1280 View Post
He own Ted's Lightspace Calibration Disk and he knows how to use it.
Hi all, after using/setting Contrast Patterns you should check also Color Clipping Patterns, there a lot available in the Color Reproduction Session of the disk.

Using a contrast pattern, you are checking this area, in RGB Space:

Using the 7-Color Clipping Bars Pattern to prevent clipping of each color channel (WRGBCMY), this sometimes can be fixed be removing some additionally clicks from the contrast control also, you are checking these areas, in RGB Space:

Jond0 and shield1280 like this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #10428 of 28186 Old 01-01-2017, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigyeah View Post
I own 65 B6. For some reason when I use wireless to play native apps, Netflix specifically, it rarely ever loads. It gets stuck at 25%, but when I use a wired connection I have no issues. I wall mounted the TV so wire clutter has now become a thing for me. Any help in resolving my crappy wireless on my b6 would be appreciated. My wireless signal from the router is perfect otherwise. All my other devices work flawlessly
Please make sure your router is 802.11ac compliant. The signal might show excellent but, it the bandwidth is whats important. I'm using an Apple AirPort Extreme by the way.

Oppo UDP-203
Onkyo TX-RZ810B
Apple TV4
Polk Audio speakers 5.1
post #10429 of 28186 Old 01-01-2017, 02:04 AM

With all this contrast, brightness and oled light chat, I can't wait for Dolby Vision.

Oppo UDP-203
Onkyo TX-RZ810B
Apple TV4
Polk Audio speakers 5.1
post #10430 of 28186 Old 01-01-2017, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Was calibrating using this link

Noticed isf 'Black Level' under Picture Options, in both Expert (Bright & Dark) is on 'Auto' and greyed out. Any reason for that? How can I make it a selectable option?

Focal Chorus 726V | Focal Centre CC800V | NHT SuperZero 2.1 | SVS SB1000 | Cambridge Audio CXR200 | Oppo UDP-205 | | Clearaudio Concept Wood TT | | Clearaudio Nano V2 Phono | Raspberry Pi 3 with Minimserver | Synology NAS DS916+ | VU 65" LED 3D TV | LG OLED B6T "65 |SF Power Conditioner
post #10431 of 28186 Old 01-01-2017, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by StigMX5 View Post
The one way to tell for sure is load the 0% black image off the AVS download to USB and display it on the tv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Or see how other movies do go totally black when a scene cuts

post #10432 of 28186 Old 01-01-2017, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
Hi all, after using/setting Contrast Patterns you should check also Color Clipping Patterns, there a lot available in the Color Reproduction Session of the disk.

Using a contrast pattern, you are checking this area, in RGB Space:

Using the 7-Color Clipping Bars Pattern to prevent clipping of each color channel (WRGBCMY), this sometimes can be fixed be removing some additionally clicks from the contrast control also, you are checking these areas, in RGB Space:

Do you have any advice for Dolby Vision picture settings on content like Netflix in Dolby Vision?

post #10433 of 28186 Old 01-01-2017, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Do you have any advice for Dolby Vision picture settings on content like Netflix in Dolby Vision?

Hi, as you have seen LG has disabled the White Balance adjustments in DV mode, there no need to change any OLED/Contrast settings in DV mode since it's following some generic factory pre-calibration decided by their engineers with the default settings it has in DV mode.
shield1280 likes this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
post #10434 of 28186 Old 01-01-2017, 08:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by october16 View Post
Was calibrating using this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXwFi3E1K0g

Noticed isf 'Black Level' under Picture Options, in both Expert (Bright & Dark) is on 'Auto' and greyed out. Any reason for that? How can I make it a selectable option?
To make it selectable, use the PC icon for the hdmi port.
october16 likes this.
post #10435 of 28186 Old 01-01-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Hi, as you have seen LG has disabled the White Balance adjustments in DV mode, there no need to change any OLED/Contrast settings in DV mode since it's following some generic factory pre-calibration decided by their engineers with the default settings it has in DV mode.
Yes but we can adjust Oled Light, Contrast, Brightness, Color Temp, Colour...Any tips?
I current use DV dark room with:
Oled Light 75
Contrast 96
Brightness 51
Warm 2
All enhancements off

post #10436 of 28186 Old 01-01-2017, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes but we can adjust Oled Light, Contrast, Brightness, Color Temp, Colour...Any tips?
I current use DV dark room with:
Oled Light 75
Contrast 96
Brightness 51
Warm 2
All enhancements off

Restore OLED/Contrast to 100, brightness @ 50, Warm 2, All enhancements off.

When you increase Brightness in HDR mode, it's undersaturating the saturations (removes color) of low luminance colors (dark shades of colors).
shield1280 likes this.

post #10437 of 28186 Old 01-01-2017, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

When you increase Brightness in HDR mode, it's undersaturating the saturations (removes color) of low luminance colors (dark shades of colors).
Does reducing oled/contrast from 100 also remove color from DV?
post #10438 of 28186 Old 01-01-2017, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntalwar View Post
Does reducing oled/contrast from 100 also remove color from DV?
No, but you are making you display less accurate for DV reproduction when you changing the values the TV has been prepared for DV mode from it's engineers.

post #10439 of 28186 Old 01-01-2017, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:

Should you use oled light at 100 on DV?Default it is 50.

Sent fra min Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F via Tapatalk

LG 55B7-Panasonic TX-P55VT60Y-Panasonic UB700-Sony BDP-S6500-Pioneer BDP-120 Region Free.Philips Fidelio x2.
post #10440 of 28186 Old 01-01-2017, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shield1280 View Post
Should you use oled light at 100 on DV?Default it is 50.

Sent fra min Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F via Tapatalk
In EU E6, the default is 100.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
arc , C6-B6 , calibration , computer , desktop , firmware update , lg c6 pc sdr hdr , lg oled , monitor , oled , oled b6 , oled lg , screen damage , screen uniformity , settings , soundbar , there is sig

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page