2016 LG C6-B6 owners thread - Page 388 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 264202Likes

post #11611 of 28186 Old 01-18-2017, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3837 Post(s)
Liked: 3775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Mammoth View Post
Still have firmware 4 30 15 on my 55c6, have they released the newer firmwares through the TV or do I need to download to a USB stick? My TV says my firmware is up to date.
There is a newer one out you may have to go the usb route.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11612 of 28186 Old 01-18-2017, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 37
[quote=milehighou;49999529]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruppa View Post

Yep. This vignetting may be "normal" for LG's OLEDs, but it's far from acceptable. My 65" B6 did not look as bad as the images posted a bit further up this page, and it most certainly was noticeable in content. My experience is, if it's visible on the slides, it's going to be visible on content (especially if you watch in a dark room). Like you said, I'm not sure how anyone who calls them self a videophile would not notice this obvious picture defect.
It is quite apparent from his pix that there is vignetting at 1% and 2% ire, when displaying a full white field, however, it is mostly gone by 5%. Given that the vignetting is occurring very close to the panels black limit it highly unlikely it would be visible under normal viewing. To put it another way: how much content do you watch that has sustained ire's of less than 5% ?? I don't think much ast those are quite dark.. There very well maybe panel's with darkening bad enough to be seen under regular viewing but Thrawn's images strongly suggest his set should not present any issues with normal content. I have included a shot of my set at 5% and 20%. I have never seen signs of vignetting on any content, other than test patterns, on my b6.

Jondo makes a good point:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jond0 View Post

my 65b6, and in fact it was exactly half as much as I paid for a 70" Samsung DLP 10 years ago, and that DLP had the rainbow effect for all 10 years! (plus 2 loud fans and a louder colorwheel)
None of these technologies are perfect, they all have shortcomings. The difference now, in 2017, is consumers have access to test patterns and measurement tools, previously unavailable to them, that can clearly reveal imperfections under the most demanding circumstances. However, many have not used these tools on other current (or previous) technologies so they may not have a frame of reference as to how good these OLED's perform.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5ire (7777 of 1).jpg
Views:	273
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	1903969   Click image for larger version

Name:	20ire (7777 of 1).jpg
Views:	270
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	1903993  
Jond0, chunon and wreckingball like this.
post #11613 of 28186 Old 01-18-2017, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Good points, but there is a catch. These TVs severely crush blacks out of the box. I'm betting that this is hiding some of the panel's issues in the near-black range. Is it any coincidence that LG sets them up this way? Hmmmmm. Once the TV is somewhat calibrated for an accurate picture, the vignetting becomes a little more obvious. Trust me, everyone said the same thing to me, "don't worry, you won't see it on content." Well, there are plenty of dark scenes in plenty of movies, and I saw it often.

All I'm saying is, save your receipts and buy from a place with a good return policy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11614 of 28186 Old 01-18-2017, 05:32 PM

[quote=bberns22;50009705]
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighou View Post

It is quite apparent from his pix that there is vignetting at 1% and 2% ire, when displaying a full white field, however, it is mostly gone by 5%. Given that the vignetting is occurring very close to the panels black limit it highly unlikely it would be visible under normal viewing. To put it another way: how much content do you watch that has sustained ire's of less than 5% ?? I don't think much ast those are quite dark.. There very well maybe panel's with darkening bad enough to be seen under regular viewing but Thrawn's images strongly suggest his set should not present any issues with normal content. I have included a shot of my set at 5% and 20%. I have never seen signs of vignetting on any content, other than test patterns, on my b6.

Jondo makes a good point:

None of these technologies are perfect, they all have shortcomings. The difference now, in 2017, is consumers have access to test patterns and measurement tools, previously unavailable to them, that can clearly reveal imperfections under the most demanding circumstances. However, many have not used these tools on other current (or previous) technologies so they may not have a frame of reference as to how good these OLED's perform.
Very good post

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #11615 of 28186 Old 01-18-2017, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyice426 View Post
I have the B6 but I'm using optical for sound to my receiver. I'm not experiencing any clicking sounds. I have everything running to the TV via HDMI and run just optical to my AVR. My settings are as follows,

Smart Sound Mode
Off

Sound Mode Settings
Standard (user)

Sound Out
Internal TV Speaker + Audio Out (optical)

Magic Sound Tuning
Standard

Volume Mode = off

AV Sync Adjustment
Off

When I use my sound system I have to lower the TV sound to zero but it's a minor inconvenience. Works well for my 5.1 system.

Hope this helps, otherwise you my have a defective set. Also make sure that the optical cable is fully inserted to the connectors.
Thanks so much. Will take a look at my settings and see if anything is off. I fear I may have to return, although I'm within the 45 day return window at BB.
post #11616 of 28186 Old 01-18-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckingball View Post
No, that was not the issue with my optical, before returning the set I'd try calling LG and have them do a remote diagnosis of your set, the number is on your TV or if in the US, it's the number I posted earlier.

*edit* The above was a quick response as I was heading for work.
Try swapping or replacing your optical cable as well, if there is any debris or obstruction of any kind in the optics path, it will malfunction. Very well could be you problem.
Thanks - the same cable worked as between the Xbox One and the receiver itself, but I will try another cable. Appreciate the help.
post #11617 of 28186 Old 01-18-2017, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdd1 View Post
Anyone notice the panel itself on the B6 being slightly bent? Just noticed slight curve at edges of my panel, was thinking about returning it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruppa View Post
Don't return - I've had many panels and every one of them is at least slightly bent - if everything else is good don't bother.
Oh sure... I was in a happy place until I read these two posts. I was thinking ... Wow! Bent? Really? So I got up off the couch and eyeballed the top edge of my B6 down along its length along the top edge. DANG... sure enough my frame is bent as well! The two side members are perfectly straight as well as the bottom frame member. But the top frame is "wavy". Its not a sharp bend or kink of any kind... it just reminds me of a warped piece of lumber, having a wavy bend just left of center as you face the TV. The frame material appears to be aluminum but then again it might be plastic. Anyway, the good news is my set is working great so I guess I'm just going to try and forget I ever saw it. (Thanks for calling my attention to a defect with my TV)
post #11618 of 28186 Old 01-18-2017, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by bludevil007 View Post
Thanks so much. Will take a look at my settings and see if anything is off. I fear I may have to return, although I'm within the 45 day return window at BB.
45 Days?... I'm guessing you must be a Best Buy Elite Plus member. BB Policy states:
14-day return period on Phones and Carrier Connectable devices for all customers.
15-day return period on almost everything else.
30- day return for Best Buy Elite members ($1500 in Purchases per Calendar Year)
45-day return for Best Buy Elite Plus member ($3500 in Purchases per Calendar Year)

Also... to get the Elite and Elite Plus return benefits you also have to be a member of the "My Best Buy Program" (i.e. BB credit card that earns points). Grrrr... You would think the B6 (least expensive LG model) would automatically qualify us for a 30 day return and the E6 and above should give customers 45 days. But... as I was leaving the store with my B6 the Magnolia rep said ... "and remember you can return it no questions asked for the next 15 days". I turned back and said "I thought I had 30 days"... and he said no... only 15.

Last edited by Elton Noway; 01-18-2017 at 08:21 PM.
post #11619 of 28186 Old 01-18-2017, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elton Noway View Post
Oh sure... I was in a happy place until I read these two posts. I was thinking ... Wow! Bent? Really? So I got up off the couch and eyeballed the top edge of my B6 down along its length along the top edge. DANG... sure enough my frame is bent as well! The two side members are perfectly straight as well as the bottom frame member. But the top frame is "wavy". Its not a sharp bend or kink of any kind... it just reminds me of a warped piece of lumber, having a wavy bend just left of center as you face the TV. The frame material appears to be aluminum but then again it might be plastic. Anyway, the good news is my set is working great so I guess I'm just going to try and forget I ever saw it. (Thanks for calling my attention to a defect with my TV)
Same on mine. The only way you ever see it is by eyeballing it like choosing lumber. It doesn't bother me in the least.
post #11620 of 28186 Old 01-18-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elton Noway View Post
45 Days?... I'm guessing you must be a Best Buy Elite Plus member. (Whew...and I thought I spent to much money at BB every year.)

BB Policy states:
14-day return period on Phones and Carrier Connectable devices for all customers.
15-day return period on almost everything else.
30- day return for Best Buy Elite members ($1500 in Purchases per Calendar Year)
45-day return for Best Buy Elite Plus member ($3500 in Purchases per Calendar Year)

Hmmm... then again... you would think the B6 (least expensive LG model) would automatically qualify us for a 30 day return and the E6 and above should give customers 45 days. I'm confused because as I was leaving the store with my B6 the Magnolia rep said ... "and remember you can return it no questions asked for the next 15 days". I turned back and said "I thought I had 30 days"... and he said no... only 15. Maybe he's confused.
Haha, I had a Samsung JS9500 that was a disaster - bought it a year and a few months ago, was out of warranty when it broke down. Wrote Samsung a letter and they bought it back from me. Rolled the funds into a C6 (again at Best Buy). Best Buy thinks I'm loaded and buying tons of high end TVs haha. Little do they know...

I tried another optical cable and it had the same issue. Sooo, going to call LG tomorrow and if they can't fix it, I guess I'll move on to my third set :-/
Ulisescm likes this.
post #11621 of 28186 Old 01-18-2017, 08:33 PM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6674 Post(s)
Liked: 6670
post #11622 of 28186 Old 01-18-2017, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Is there anyway to verify that HDR is working? An info screen or logo?
post #11623 of 28186 Old 01-19-2017, 02:08 AM
i2k

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrawn997 View Post
Is there anyway to verify that HDR is working? An info screen or logo?

HDR or Dolby Vision will pop up on the screen in the top right hand corner. Also the picture settings has different options available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SVS PB2000 Sub
NVIDIA Shield Gen 2
post #11624 of 28186 Old 01-19-2017, 03:06 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Sorry to repost this but I posted this a few days ago and didnt get any responses.

Hi all, I am having some issues with my 1 week old B6 55 inch.

Today I was trying to use my nvidia shield which has been working perfectly and I had no signal. I rebooted it, etc and got nothing. I then switched from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2 and it the picture came up for about 2 seconds and then it went all static looking (looked llike old school broadcast snow) and then kept flickering on and off like this. I then tried my xbox one s and it was doing basically the same thing. My fios tv box didnt seem to have the issue though. Eventually I unplugged the tv and plugged it back in and it seemed to fix the problem.

Now its about an hour later and when I stop playing a movie in kodi on my nvidia shield it sometimes looks all weird color wise and blurryish. Kind of looks like a sepia filter or something. Changing input on the tv seems to fix the issue.

My concern is that maybe I have a defective unit? I am running the latest firmware I upgraded when I got it with a usb stick (the one that adds game hdr mode). Any thoughts?
post #11625 of 28186 Old 01-19-2017, 04:20 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1709 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrawn997 View Post
What do you guys think of these 3% and 2% gray shots? 65 inch C6. Looks gnarly but not noticing it on regular content.
....and that's the key...you're not seeing it in regular content.

Take a look at a 20 step grayscale pattern and note how 5% is just barely above black. Your 5% looks pretty good. So what exactly are we watching in content that's 2 and 3% ???? It would be so dark that it wouldn't matter.

When we take pictures of 2or 3%, the exposure makes it appear much brighter than it really is.

These sets may not be perfect, but I don't think this is nearly the problem others want you to believe it is.
post #11626 of 28186 Old 01-19-2017, 05:06 AM

Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6052
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Take a look at a 20 step grayscale pattern and note how 5% is just barely above black. Your 5% looks pretty good. So what exactly are we watching in content that's 2 and 3% ???? It would be so dark that it wouldn't matter.

When we take pictures of 2or 3%, the exposure makes it appear much brighter than it really is.

These sets may not be perfect, but I don't think this is nearly the problem others want you to believe it is.
Exactly. I am seeing some of these 2016 pics in my research, and you guys should see the 2015 pics lol on the low end.
post #11627 of 28186 Old 01-19-2017, 05:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

There are bigger issues to be honest. Motion handling being the biggest.
Ulisescm and simistef like this.
post #11628 of 28186 Old 01-19-2017, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Emery View Post
There are bigger issues to be honest. Motion handling being the biggest.
In your opinion.

Bleeding Edge likes this.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #11629 of 28186 Old 01-19-2017, 05:32 AM

Liked: 5
Do I need to change the Picture setting to Game HDR with the new FW for 55B6? If so I can't get it to show. I have HDR and Game but not both.

Edit: This is for a PS4 (not Pro) connected to HDMI3
post #11630 of 28186 Old 01-19-2017, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
In your opinion.

Video/film is mostly motion plus sound. Otherwise take up stills photography

A person in another thread reported issues watching an E6 in Richer Sounds and tried turning off all motion handling. He reports that he still saw the odd stutter. An incidental report of course. But I am not the only one seeing this as some other posters here and over at avsforum have reported.

We need to get to the bottom of this.
post #11631 of 28186 Old 01-19-2017, 05:35 AM

Quote:

A person in another thread reported issues watching an E6 in Richer Sounds and tried turning off all motion handling. He reports that he still saw the odd stutter. An incidental report of course. But I am not the only one seeing this as some other posters here and over at avsforum have reported.

Sigh .... guess we have this to look forward to non stop for the next several weeks.

You are going to expend all this energy sit up every night wringing your hands and in the end nothing will change.
Bleeding Edge likes this.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A

Last edited by chunon; 01-19-2017 at 05:39 AM.
post #11632 of 28186 Old 01-19-2017, 06:11 AM
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1967 Post(s)
Liked: 1431
Quote:

When you use TruMotion at user, it does not fully reset back to zero unless you turn it on and off.

- Rich
gadgtfreek likes this.

Oppo UPD-205 x 2 | UPD-203 | Sonica DAC | Emotiva XMC-1 (v3) | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Benchmark AHB2 x 4 | ATI AT522NC | Velodyne HGS-15 | LG 77C9 | Lumagen 2020 | HDFury Vertex x 2
post #11633 of 28186 Old 01-19-2017, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 4883 Post(s)
Liked: 1847
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
I was hoping that with OLED being out in the wild enough that there was a more generalized profile we could at least work from.
DisplayCal has a database of colorimeter correction files here. See if there's one for your TV family.
chunon and mo949 like this.
post #11634 of 28186 Old 01-19-2017, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by clint74 View Post
First thank you both for the help.
I will definitely try the unplug all method before calling LG.
It will take me some time as getting to the back of my processor is a complicated operation as my cables are mostly too short!!! My options were either buy a ton of new cables (not just the HDMI but optical and mostly interconnects) or disassemble a substantial part of the cabinet where it's housed.......I went for the latter.....

I will let you know when I have a good couple of hours of spare time......

Actually would disconnecting all hdmi cables from the various electronic and TV but leaving them on the AVR work too?? I will try that first....
Quote:
Originally Posted by kematt View Post
1. Yes
2. HDMI2. ARC enables sound via HDMI from TV to AVR for TV's internal Aps., i.e., Netfilx'. If you use HDMI 1, you would need optical cable from TV to AVR for sound.
3. I have all inputs connected to AVR with single HDMI cable from AVR to TV HDMI 2 (ARC) port which allows sound from TV' internal aps.
4. See 2. & 3.
5. Correct. I also have 7.2 system and my AVR creates rear surround from 5.1 source
6. No
Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckingball View Post
After fixing one issue with my (optical) sound, I find that my set is not passing the ARC at all either.

If I were you I'd call LG on this one, they claim that the techs can get into your set through your network and see what is going on. That's what I'm going to do.
1(800) 243-0000

Good Luck.

BTW, I sympathize with you, I had (optical) sound issues of my own that took many hours to figure out.
I also see that no-one is offering help, the same thing happened to me, very frustrating.
And in my case the answer was so simple, you'd have thought someone would have helped me with this minor oversight and saved me the frustration. They didn't.

Sorry I can't help you any further, if I could/was knowledge about this, I certainly would.
Well things keep getting better.......

After loosing the ARc guess what?

Today I also lost the optical sound out! Mostly...as it's still working from Netflix and Amazon but in some other apps and from the TV tuner I can only hear the subwoofer channel though at a lower level, everything else is muted!!!

I guess I will call LG...

Has anyone ever experienced this??

Thanks.
post #11635 of 28186 Old 01-19-2017, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKurk View Post
I went with a Channel Master STEALTHtenna because all of the transmission towers were within 5 degrees of each other in my area. Are you looking for an indoor or outdoor antenna? Are all of the transmission sources coming from the same general direction? you can go on the Channel Master website (and several other websites) and type your address into their calculator which will provide you with some suggested antennas. Hope this helped
I'd like to go with a indoor one, looks like most of the channels, I'm looking for like Fox need a attic mounted antenna from what I can see in Channel Master website, since the signal is about 25 miles away from me.

Did get recommended this one, it might work possibly for indoors and covers 50 miles supposedly... http://*******.com/zbtvxyt

Last edited by cerchiarax; 01-19-2017 at 08:18 AM.
post #11636 of 28186 Old 01-19-2017, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
[quote=cerchiarax;50023497]I'd like to go with a indoor one, looks like most of the channels, I'm looking for like Fox need a attic mounted antenna from what I can see in Channel Master website, since the signal is about 25 miles away from me.

Did get recommended this one, it might work possibly for indoors and covers 50 miles supposedly...

All of the signals are between 17 and 18 miles away for me and I was unable to pick them up with a MOHU Leaf indoor amplified antenna even if I placed the antenna on my balcony. However, I live in an apartment building and I believe the sound absorbing insulation they installed does hinder reception. If you go with the attic mounted antenna you will likely want to install an amplifier at the source to overcome the signal loss that will occur in the cable run from the attic to your set. I needed one just for the 35ft of cable I am using. Good luck
cerchiarax likes this.

- Justin
post #11637 of 28186 Old 01-19-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clint74 View Post
Well things keep getting better.......

After loosing the ARc guess what?

Today I also lost the optical sound out! Mostly...as it's still working from Netflix and Amazon but in some other apps and from the TV tuner I can only hear the subwoofer channel though at a lower level, everything else is muted!!!

I guess I will call LG...

Has anyone ever experienced this??

Thanks.
I have all my devices connected to the TV with HDMI and then optical from TV to my A/V Receiver. The only time I lose sound sometimes is with my xbox one, when watching cable TV through it using the HDMI input to the game console. But I think its just a glitch with the game console and not the TV.

The way I fix this, is I have to go into the xbox settings change the sound from surround to stereo, let it restart and then put it back to surround.

Last edited by cerchiarax; 01-19-2017 at 09:08 AM.
post #11638 of 28186 Old 01-19-2017, 09:09 AM

[quote=JKurk;50024337]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerchiarax View Post
I'd like to go with a indoor one, looks like most of the channels, I'm looking for like Fox need a attic mounted antenna from what I can see in Channel Master website, since the signal is about 25 miles away from me.

Did get recommended this one, it might work possibly for indoors and covers 50 miles supposedly...

All of the signals are between 17 and 18 miles away for me and I was unable to pick them up with a MOHU Leaf indoor amplified antenna even if I placed the antenna on my balcony. However, I live in an apartment building and I believe the sound absorbing insulation they installed does hinder reception. If you go with the attic mounted antenna you will likely want to install an amplifier at the source to overcome the signal loss that will occur in the cable run from the attic to your set. I needed one just for the 35ft of cable I am using. Good luck
Thanks, I will keep this in mind. Maybe I'll try one I can buy retail first, I do live in a house so maybe the signal is better.
post #11639 of 28186 Old 01-19-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bludevil007 View Post
Haha, I had a Samsung JS9500 that was a disaster - bought it a year and a few months ago, was out of warranty when it broke down. Wrote Samsung a letter and they bought it back from me. Rolled the funds into a C6 (again at Best Buy). Best Buy thinks I'm loaded and buying tons of high end TVs haha. Little do they know...

I tried another optical cable and it had the same issue. Sooo, going to call LG tomorrow and if they can't fix it, I guess I'll move on to my third set :-/
I might try sending a letter to Samsung myself, I'm still upset about my Samsung plasma e7000 which I also bought from Best Buy breaking down, right after the warranty expired by just a couple of months. Which is what got me to buy this fantastic TV, but I hate to throw away the plasma TV, was planning to take some time when I had to repair it myself and hopefully put it to use in another room. Is there a specific email address you sent the letter to?
post #11640 of 28186 Old 01-19-2017, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by i2k View Post
HDR or Dolby Vision will pop up on the screen in the top right hand corner. Also the picture settings has different options available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't forget to enable HDMI Deep Color under the General Settings (all the way at the bottom) for every input that you want to run HDR.

~alan

LG OLED65B6P (yay!)
Denon AVR-X4200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
arc , C6-B6 , calibration , computer , desktop , firmware update , lg c6 pc sdr hdr , lg oled , monitor , oled , oled b6 , oled lg , screen damage , screen uniformity , settings , soundbar , there is sig

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page