2016 LG C6-B6 owners thread - Page 43 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 264228Likes

post #1261 of 28265 Old 06-28-2016, 10:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigyeah View Post
I'm referring to the rtings.com article where they say that to remove judder from 24p via 60p SOE needs to be enabled, I'm not saying the SOE is inherent in the display (although the way I wrote the post it sure does sound like that, doh!) I'm glad to hear you notice no judder on steaming services, such as Netflix, am I reading that correctly?
I have not experienced any judder from streaming services like Netflix, Amazon, HBO now, or YouTube either using the native app or nvidia shield. And I have the Trumotion off. Of course it's not in the same level as Sony, but it's not bad either.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
zmarty likes this.

Sony XBR55HX929 / LG OLED55C6P / Sony XBR-65X930E
Denon x4000 / PS3 Slim / BDP-S6200 / OPPO UDP-203
Roku 3 / Roku Ultra / WD TV Live /Chromecast / Fire TV stick
Speakers - SVS Ultra Bookshelf / DT PM1000 / PC2000 / Sony HTNT5
Sub - Power Sound Audio S1500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 28265 Old 06-28-2016, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by krips View Post
I have not experienced any judder from streaming services like Netflix, Amazon, HBO now, or YouTube either using the native app or nvidia shield. And I have the Trumotion off. Of course it's not in the same level as Sony, but it's not bad either.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I'm coming from a sony x950b, so this statement scares me slightly. What does not as good mean? I feel like motion either moves smoothly across the screen or it doesn't (I mean that in no harsh tone). I came from a Panasonic Plasma Viera to a Sony 950b with no noticeable motion differences. Will the B6 be just as unnoticeable?

EDIT: Another question I have is price aside, is there any advantage of the B6 over the E6?

Last edited by bigyeah; 06-28-2016 at 11:07 PM.
post #1263 of 28265 Old 06-28-2016, 10:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4303 Post(s)
Liked: 3733
Quote:
Originally Posted by cris80dr View Post
To see such 3D content means that you have to buy 3D bluray, which are not 4K HDR.
Yes, that's a travesty. They would be wise to include a 3D in the UHD packaging since UHD needs every perk it can get as a fledgling new format.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1264 of 28265 Old 06-28-2016, 11:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 299
You basically can't use trumotion at all on most non 4K streaming sources it seems. It turns into a stuttering mess. I tested from my ps4 instead of the Xbox One on the same content and had the same result. Without the trumotion on at all, it looks really rough. I'm testing right now with the first ep of Silicon Valley on the HBO GO app. Can anyone else test this out?
post #1265 of 28265 Old 06-28-2016, 11:48 PM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
I'm coming from a sony x950b, so this statement scares me slightly. What does not as good mean? I feel like motion either moves smoothly across the screen or it doesn't (I mean that in no harsh tone). I came from a Panasonic Plasma Viera to a Sony 950b with no noticeable motion differences. Will the B6 be just as unnoticeable?

EDIT: Another question I have is price aside, is there any advantage of the B6 over the E6?

Going from a Panasonic ST50 to the B6P, the difference in motion is noticeable. You have to mess around with different custom settings to find the best option for each source. I am using 0/3 for UHD Blu-Rays, but it does stutter. I found that Dolby Vision has much less stuttering, but that has been through streaming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1266 of 28265 Old 06-28-2016, 11:50 PM

Quote:

If motion is one of the most important things for you, you have to understand it's the TV's weakness. Best picture, but that's it's weakness. Maybe the 940D would serve you better.

post #1267 of 28265 Old 06-29-2016, 12:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarylR42 View Post
If motion is one of the most important things for you, you have to understand it's the TV's weakness. Best picture, but that's it's weakness. Maybe the 940D would serve you better.

For me, blu rays perform perfectly...no stuttering at all but other sources can be a complete trainwreck motion wise. I really don't get it. I wanna figure out a solution but don't think there is one. I may have to return because of it and that sucks because when this tv is good, it's mind blowing.
post #1268 of 28265 Old 06-29-2016, 12:11 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the advice. And I mean no anger in this next statement, just frustration at the current state of televisions, but how are the x6 series of OLEDs being claimed as the best TV on the market (according to the VE shootout and all reviews) if the display cannot playback Netflix streams without judder? That seems mind-blowing to me. How is motion, the moving of objects on a "Motion Picture" screen, not more important? If objects judder on a screen I wouldn't even consider that a real player in the high-end TV market, but somehow the B6 is being touted as the best TV ever made.....how is this possible? Am I overreacting to the motion issues and there's a chance I may not even notice anything? Calm me down, please AVS forum .
slowcarboost likes this.
post #1269 of 28265 Old 06-29-2016, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcarboost View Post
For me, blu rays perform perfectly...no stuttering at all but other sources can be a complete trainwreck motion wise. I really don't get it. I wanna figure out a solution but don't think there is one. I may have to return because of it and that sucks because when this tv is good, it's mind blowing.

What are your settings for Blu-Rays in the TruMotion settings?

post #1270 of 28265 Old 06-29-2016, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. And I mean no anger in this next statement, just frustration at the current state of televisions, but how are the x6 series of OLEDs being claimed as the best TV on the market (according to the VE shootout and all reviews) if the display cannot playback Netflix streams without judder? That seems mind-blowing to me. How is motion, the moving of objects on a "Motion Picture" screen, not more important? If objects judder on a screen I wouldn't even consider that a real player in the high-end TV market, but somehow the B6 is being touted as the best TV ever made.....how is this possible? Am I overreacting to the motion issues and there's a chance I may not even notice anything? Calm me down, please AVS forum .

If you enable custom TruMotion settings you can get clear movement with no judder, but it will stutter, which is different from judder.

post #1271 of 28265 Old 06-29-2016, 12:19 AM

Quote:
If you enable custom TruMotion settings you can get clear movement with no judder, but it will stutter, which is different from judder.

Thanks for this. What is the difference between the two, and why are review sites not rating the TV a 1 since it fails to perform its basic function, to properly display moving objects (I'm not being 100% sarcastic, only about 1%)?
post #1272 of 28265 Old 06-29-2016, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Thanks for this. What is the difference between the two, and why are review sites not rating the TV a 1 since it fails to perform its basis function, to properly display moving objects (I'm not being 100% sarcastic, only about 1%)?

Well, look at it this way:

I just saw The Martian on UHD Blu-Ray. 50% of the time I was thinking, "this looks really good". 40% of the time I was thinking, "this looks amazing". 9% of the time I was thinking, "oh my god this is the best thing I've ever seen". And 1% of the time I was thinking, "damn, it's stuttering".

Unless of course, it bothers you so much that it's a 50/50 where you can't enjoy the movie.

bdraw and dmarty like this.
post #1273 of 28265 Old 06-29-2016, 12:23 AM

And like I mentioned, Dolby Vision doesn't seem to stutter for me. But there are no DV discs yet, so I can't compare.

post #1274 of 28265 Old 06-29-2016, 12:26 AM

Quote:

I just saw The Martian on UHD Blu-Ray. 50% of the time I was thinking, "this looks really good". 40% of the time I was thinking, "this looks amazing". 9% of the time I was thinking, "oh my god this is the best thing I've ever seen". And 1% of the time I was thinking, "damn, it's stuttering".

Unless of course, it bothers you so much that it's a 50/50 where you can't enjoy the movie.

I appreciate your real world testimony, that kinda makes sense to me. When you say 1% of the time it stutters, do you mean its stuttering 100% of the time, but you only notice it 1% of the time?
post #1275 of 28265 Old 06-29-2016, 12:29 AM

Quote:
I appreciate your real world testimony, that kinda makes sense to me. When you say 1% of the time it stutters, do you mean its stuttering 100% of the time, but you only notice it 1% of the time?

No, I guess what I mean is if you have a 120 minute movie, 1% would be that it stutters every 1.2 minutes. But, now that I put it that way... I would say it stutters once every couple of minutes. Or, maybe I just don't notice it. I definitely didn't notice it much in Mad Max because the damn movie has mini jump-cuts that look like stuttering but it's the damn editing.

post #1276 of 28265 Old 06-29-2016, 12:32 AM

Quote:
No, I guess what I mean is if you have a 120 minute movie, 1% would be that it stutters every 1.2 minutes. But, now that I put it that way... I would say it stutters once every couple of minutes. Or, maybe I just don't notice it. I definitely didn't notice it much in Mad Max because the damn movie has mini jump-cuts that look like stuttering but it's the damn editing.

Thanks for the clarification. ahhhh I'm thinking the $1,000 premium on the 940d may be worth it. Cr$p, may have to make my 1000x trip to best buy. I thought by going 2016 OLED I was finally past the 2nd guessing myself :/. I'm really surprised this motion stutter/judder doesn't bother more people.
post #1277 of 28265 Old 06-29-2016, 12:33 AM

I would say go to Best Buy, get the OLED, try it for a week, then upgrade to 940D. (I'm pretty sure you can do this... confirm with them first.)

post #1278 of 28265 Old 06-29-2016, 12:53 AM

Quote:
I would say go to Best Buy, get the OLED, try it for a week, then upgrade to 940D. (I'm pretty sure you can do this... confirm with them first.)

Great idea. I want to believe i'm missing something here, as I can't be 3 of 1000 people that can't tolerate a TV that can't produce quality motion, can I? Is motion that unimportant to other people, or am I overly critical?

EDIT: I just want to make my viewing perfectly clear. When i talk about motion, I mean motion from Netflix, Amazon Video, and Hulu Plus. I'm not talking about sports or gaming

Last edited by bigyeah; 06-29-2016 at 12:56 AM.
post #1279 of 28265 Old 06-29-2016, 04:40 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by OledGod View Post
The new one actually looked worse than what the picture shows as on the right side there was also something like horrible graining going on.
By the way the 4k fusion hdmi cable i bought also from amazon prime was a returned item too, did some googling about amazon selling returned/used items as new and found a lot more people with similar experiences.
I would not be surprised if they will resell the Amazon Basics HDMI cable I returned. It worked for everything except 4K at 60Hz. 4K at 30Hz was fine....so even know I told them that and got my money back, they will probably plug it in see it works, not testing at 4K 60Hz and resell it....
post #1280 of 28265 Old 06-29-2016, 05:09 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Great idea. I want to believe i'm missing something here, as I can't be 3 of 1000 people that can't tolerate a TV that can't produce quality motion, can I? Is motion that unimportant to other people, or am I overly critical?

EDIT: I just want to make my viewing perfectly clear. When i talk about motion, I mean motion from Netflix, Amazon Video, and Hulu Plus. I'm not talking about sports or gaming
While I do not watch Netflix, we watched some Amazon videos through their app, and it was fine. We did notice an issue with an HDR movie in Dolby Vision on the Fandango app, but found that it went to a different picture mode where TrueMotion was turned on. Turning it off fixed it.

For a better explanition of what exactly TrueMotion is and does, please refer to: http://www.lg.com/us/support/product...t=&resultSeq=1
post #1281 of 28265 Old 06-29-2016, 05:11 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 7378 Post(s)
Liked: 8252
Quote:
I think it's the HR54? It's not the 4K box. I'll try rebooting it. What about the streams though? The streaming that stutters has all been from the Xbox One. Maybe there's something going on there. I'm gonna try the same content on the PS4.
Ah, I don't have the Xbox One, so I can't help you out there.
post #1282 of 28265 Old 06-29-2016, 05:27 AM

Quote:

First, whatever motion issues do or don't exist with OLED, apply across all model lines, not just one.

I have both the Sony 940c and the B6. I find there isn't a lot of difference between the two when it comes to motion, but in certain situations the Sony is a bit smoother. I've noticed that many times, depending on the program, motion on both is indispensable. At other times some judder is apparent on both. When judder is apparent, the Sony seems to do a bit better job in minimizing it.

With that said, some content will give you judder no matter how good the display's motion handling is...if you don't want any of the SOE. Like you I'm very sensitive to both judder and the SOE and for me, the OLED's motion handling is not a deal-breaker but the Sony is still somewhat better.
krips likes this.

Last edited by Ken Ross; 06-29-2016 at 05:31 AM.
post #1283 of 28265 Old 06-29-2016, 05:42 AM

Quote:
So most of the time motion is perfectly smooth. At other times, if a camera is panning rapidly in 24p material, judder is almost inevitable with any TV. I've owned every tech there was, from CRT to plasma to LCD to OLED. With the material I described, they all suffered from judder.

Judder is simply inherent in some content and the only way to smooth it out is with 'tricks'. Depending on how aggressive those tricks are, you can wind up with varying degrees of SOE.

As I've said, the Sony is somewhat better, but I still can see judder on it too from time to time. But I'd rather have some judde than the SOE. Until we go to HFR, judder will be something we'll have to live with.
post #1284 of 28265 Old 06-29-2016, 05:46 AM

Liked: 34
How is the vertical banding on the B6?

My current Samsung F8000 shows vertical bands when panning over ie. a soccer field, and I notice it all the time.

/Martin
post #1285 of 28265 Old 06-29-2016, 05:46 AM

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:

Overall it comes to personal preference. Let your eyes be the judge. Get one from BB and play with it for week or so and then if you find the motion on this TV too distracting, exchange it with x940D. I have done 6 exchanges with BB and finally ended up keeping this TV

Sony XBR55HX929 / LG OLED55C6P / Sony XBR-65X930E
Denon x4000 / PS3 Slim / BDP-S6200 / OPPO UDP-203
Roku 3 / Roku Ultra / WD TV Live /Chromecast / Fire TV stick
Speakers - SVS Ultra Bookshelf / DT PM1000 / PC2000 / Sony HTNT5
Sub - Power Sound Audio S1500
post #1286 of 28265 Old 06-29-2016, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by krips View Post
Overall it comes to personal preference. Let your eyes be the judge. Get one from BB and play with it for week or so and then if you find the motion on this TV too distracting, exchange it with x940D. I have done 6 exchanges with BB and finally ended up keeping this TV
This might be your only avenue.

I had heard from an owner who returned the 75" 940 specifically because he said having "TruMotion" effects turned off yielded very poor ghosting on content.

I know I don't watch with much of any motion processing enabled, ever. I believe I have de-judder set to 1 on 3D content alone. Have not had any issues personally with motion.

It is noticeable that the typical Sony handles motion better, but if the testimony from that one customer is true, the 940 has its own issues with motion.
post #1287 of 28265 Old 06-29-2016, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
How is the vertical banding on the B6?

My current Samsung F8000 shows vertical bands when panning over ie. a soccer field, and I notice it all the time.
It's still a panel lottery, albeit not as bad as last years models for 99% of the panels I've seen.

I had one of the first B6's released and it was fantastic in regard to banding.
Ayla likes this.
post #1288 of 28265 Old 06-29-2016, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
What are your settings for Blu-Rays in the TruMotion settings?

2,10 but it could 1,10 or 4,10. I have no issues with blu ray playback regardless.
post #1289 of 28265 Old 06-29-2016, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
2,10 but it could 1,10 or 4,10. I have no issues with blu ray playback regardless.
What menu are the True motion settings under?
post #1290 of 28265 Old 06-29-2016, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Interesting to hear that.

Myself and one other on AV Forums have been complaining of Micro Stutter, but specifically on UHD 4K HDR @ 24fps.

Is it a UHD disc of the Martian you were referring to?

To be clear, not talking 24fps judder, but a twitch or a skip in frames.

No one else either seems to be noticing it or experiencing it. (I have tried both Sammy and Panny UHD players - but same on both).

I have logged a call with LG and they are sending an engineer out, probably with a new system board.

I believe actually there is potentially a processing bug in the enforced HDR modes, but it could be processing issues.

One easy place to spot is the opening scene in The Martian while the slowly pans across the rocks and landscape.

Don't seem to have the same issue with DV though either.
zmarty likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
arc , C6-B6 , calibration , computer , desktop , firmware update , lg c6 pc sdr hdr , lg oled , monitor , oled , oled b6 , oled lg , screen damage , screen uniformity , settings , soundbar , there is sig

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page