2016 LG C6-B6 owners thread - Page 450 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 264149Likes

post #13471 of 28112 Old 02-24-2017, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by roque13 View Post
Yeah the chrome cast can do HDR. The internal YouTube app on the tv cannot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do we know whether HDR could be enabled with firmware in the built-in app?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13472 of 28112 Old 02-24-2017, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIppolito View Post
Do we know whether HDR could be enabled with firmware in the built-in app?
Well over a year ago there was a LG press release (which may still be around on the LG web site, but I can't find it at the moment). It said 4K HDR youtube support was coming to all LG OLED TV's sometime "this year" (which meant 2016 at the time). So they must have thought it was possible to add when they did the press release.
post #13473 of 28112 Old 02-24-2017, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Plus the TV manufactures aren't alone in developing these apps. It's a collaboration between the television manufacture and the site the app is for. In this case a collaboration between LG and YouTube. YouTube could be the one dropping the ball here or LG or a little of both.

Sony XBR-55A9F OLED
Samsung SMT-H3272 HDC DVR Cable Box / Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BD Player
Roku Premium+ 4k / AppleTV 4K 4th Gen
Denon AVR-X4500H AV Receiver / Klipsch 5.1.2 Speakers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13474 of 28112 Old 02-24-2017, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by inm101inm101 View Post
I've got to say I have been pretty down on my B6 since getting it a few weeks ago because the micro stuttering (NOT judder) has been driving me crazy. With or without Trumotion no matter the source including built in apps I was seeing it frequently. Two adjustments have restored my sanity. PC mode for cable TV and a Chromecast Ultra for Netflix viewing. Interestingly enough I haven't even had to resort to PC mode for the Chromecast Ultra to eliminate stuttering - just set the input to Deep Color and enjoyed the B6 in all of its glory.
There is at least one other member (Quebecker ?) who also advocates using PC mode to eliminate motion artifacts.

Has anyone identified what that mode does to get rid of the artifacts?
Ron
post #13475 of 28112 Old 02-24-2017, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIppolito View Post
There is at least one other member (Quebecker ?) who also advocates using PC mode to eliminate motion artifacts.

Has anyone identified what that mode does to get rid of the artifacts?
Ron
It's getting complicated.

PC mode prevent motion artefact because there's no interpolation taking place. Not using PC mode and turning off any motion enhancement does the same thing, however some kind of stutter can persist.

PC mode can help with 60hz material like Chromecast, Roku, etc. Those device always output at 60hz, even when they are playing a movies at 24hz.
post #13476 of 28112 Old 02-24-2017, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizban19 View Post
I'll also say this, if you haven't seen Pacific Rim 4K UHD disc, then you really have no idea of what your display is capable of. I demo'd the first half hour of the disc to friends over the weekend. Many were like "is 4K and HDR really worth it?". Then the disc starts playing and as soon as the WB logo appears all of them (even their wives) were like "holy ****, it's so clear, almost 3D like". And that was just the freaking opening with the WB logo. When the movie started, they were all mesmerized. FWIW, I have a Panasonic UHD player, which has been fantastic with the B6.
If you haven't seen Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk, " then you really have no idea of what your display is capable of " owning about 100 UHD discs, this one by far is the best I've seen and is now my new demo disc.
post #13477 of 28112 Old 02-24-2017, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 33
2016 LG C6-B6 owners thread

Just watched Patriot series on Amazon via the built in app on my B6. Only option was HDR standard. Then watched it on my Roku ultra and I had all HDR picture mode settings Vivid,Bright,Standard and Game. Can someone please confirm what HDR settings are available for them via the tvs Amazon app for this show. Thanks

Last edited by john fusco; 02-24-2017 at 07:45 PM.
post #13478 of 28112 Old 02-25-2017, 03:30 AM

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin_H View Post
Have a weird issue going on with my 55C6P - in HDR something is very wrong with the black level. It's set too high and so any dark scenes look terrible and just wrong. I also own a 55B6P and when using my Samsung K8500 to play Ultra HD Blus with the exact same cables and settings across the board, HDR looks beautiful on it. Take the same player, cable, and settings to the C6P and it looks really bad. Daytime/bright scenes look fine, but any darkness and I can see the blacks looks mostly grey and then there's spots of total black crush. The B6P exhibits absolutely none of these issues.

When I watched the Ultra HD of John Wick, it looked terrible. I could see artifacts all in the dark areas on screen. It was a mess. But playing it on the B6P, it looked beautiful.

I'm curious if anyone else has experienced anything like this. I tried all of the HDMI inputs, checked HDMI Ultra Deep Color settings, did a factory reset on settings, put the latest firmware on it, triple checked all the settings and nothing helped.

Any ideas?

I'm glad somebody posted this. My 65B6 has been perfect with black levels with brightness set at 51. Last night I rented John Wick (Vudu on Xbox One S) and the blacks were far too light and looked horrible as you mention. I had to turn brightness to 49 to get back absolute black in letterboxes etc. First time for this so it really must just be the way the film is mastered. The only other film where I had to deviate from 51 brightness was Deepwater Horizon (iTunes on AppleTV newest gen) where 50 did the trick. These were both in the last week (no firmware update). So I can tell you I also had issues with this film but can't explain why it happens on your C6 and not B6 with everything else the same.

post #13479 of 28112 Old 02-25-2017, 06:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked: 1472
Quote:
Originally Posted by john fusco View Post
Just watched Patriot series on Amazon via the built in app on my B6. Only option was HDR standard. Then watched it on my Roku ultra and I had all HDR picture mode settings Vivid,Bright,Standard and Game. Can someone please confirm what HDR settings are available for them via the tvs Amazon app for this show. Thanks

The internal tv app for Amazon only allows HDR standard.

LG 77C8, Sony 75x940E, LG 65B7, LG 65EF9500, LG 55E6, LG 55UB8200, 2 TCL 49S515's
2 Apple 4K TVs, 2 LG UP970's, 2 Samsung UBD-K8500s, WD 4TB NAS
Nvidia Shield, Wii U, Playstation 3
post #13480 of 28112 Old 02-25-2017, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillietalls View Post
The internal tv app for Amazon only allows HDR standard.

Thank you so much

post #13481 of 28112 Old 02-25-2017, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6569 Post(s)
Liked: 6568
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronTV View Post
I had a ks8000 for about a month prior to exchanging it for a 65" c6. The Samsung is a nice TV but I wanted 3d and OLED. I've had the LG for 3.5 months now and, in my opinion, it is completely worth the additional cost.
It is rare that a person actually gets what they pay for spending the extra cash. This is an excellent case of that. So is the upgrade from a base Coupe Corvette and the Z06 !!
post #13482 of 28112 Old 02-25-2017, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
Sorry if repeated prior, but I'm a little short on time today.

I'm a brand new B6 owner. Can someone give a link for some good initial settings until I can get a calibration?

Thanks.
This is a good thread for what you are looking for: Settings Options for 2016 LG OLED (B6+)
Jive Turkey likes this.
post #13483 of 28112 Old 02-25-2017, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elton Noway View Post
Good decision!

I also came from a high end plasma into the 65B6P ... Motion is great, no judder or blur on my panel. Others have reported slight motion blur. Some say its in the eye of the beholder, an optical illusion... others say its because they failed to update their set to the latest firmware and/or they haven't set it up correctly. FYI: Your best bet is to start with these settings:

ISF Expert Dark Room

Expert Controls
: All settings to OFF
Disable TruMotion
Diable Cinema

Picture Options:
Noise Reduction: Off
Mpeg NR: Off
Black Level: Low
Real Cinema: On
Motion Eye Care: Off
TruMotion: User - De-Judder:0, De-Blur: 10
(on my specific set)

HDR is amazing... as are the awesome black levels. Better than adequate? Absolutely!

Not ideally. For starters, SpaceDave provided great advice about waiting until after the infancy period. No sense paying for a calibration only to have the set fail shortly afterwards. That said, several calibrators in this forum have said to wait at least 200 hours, others have said to wait as long as long as 300 hours. If your panel is anything like mine, the picture is so great you start to question if you even want to spend the money to have it calibrated. Its not like its painful to watch waiting for 100 hours to pass. In other words, you can easily live with it for hundreds of hours just the way it is when it comes out of the box. No reason to jump on calibration right away.
Thanks, man. I appreciate the help and info.

I got the set today.

Out of curiosity, when the HDR is turned on, is it normal that I only have three picture modes to choose from? For instance, I can't access ISF Expert to adjust the picture settings.

Would you be able to recommend me some quality HDR settings that work for both film and gaming?

Other than that, this TV set is absolutely mind-blowing.

I've bought some pretty cool electronics over the last few years, but this is the first piece of hardware I've purchased that feels legitimately revelatory.

No way, NO WAY, can anyone justify going LCD after you've seen this set.
post #13484 of 28112 Old 02-25-2017, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3107 Post(s)
Liked: 3842
Quote:
Originally Posted by shield1280 View Post
Yea all was fine until yesterday, in this picture it should be blue, and its purple, not hard to see at all.the picture is blue here, but my movie its purple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shield1280 View Post
Ok, he.i did not read about before I saw it myself he.and I had it before I would have posted about, I searched it up after I had this problem, all was well before yesterday.but you have a right to your opinion.but its not only me whose it he.but what ever

Ps tested it on VT60 and blue is not purple, tested with a different Blu ray players too same result.but i am just seeing it on My oled.
Hi, I have posted earlier why there such problems to shades in Normal Gamut @ SDR: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...l#post51051753

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #13485 of 28112 Old 02-25-2017, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Man, the screen tearing in HDR mode for gaming is absolutely awful.

Hopefully this is something LG will be able to address with a firmware update.
post #13486 of 28112 Old 02-25-2017, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 934 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by TetraVaal View Post
Man, the screen tearing in HDR mode for gaming is absolutely awful.

Hopefully this is something LG will be able to address with a firmware update.
Which HDR game are you playing and on what system?
post #13487 of 28112 Old 02-25-2017, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebecker View Post
As the PC mode discoverer, let me give you my latest discoveries.

For obligatory 60hz material (like cable TV), use PC mode.

For internal app like Netflix, TURN OFF DEBLUR and you can use 2-3 of Dejudder.

I found out Deblur was the biggest responsible for stutter. However, if you only use Dejudder, you should not have stutter. THE MOTION IS REALLY REALLY GREAT with Deblur0 Dejudder3 and minimal artefacts).

For a Blu-ray player outputting true 24hz, also TURN OFF DEBLUR (0), and only use Dejudder (2-3).

Deblur on the B6 is CRAP!!! It was the cause of 90% of all my stutter problem. Even Deblur at 1 give you big problem.
Quebecker, you are a genius! I had tried like 1000 different TruMotion combos, settling on what seemed like a forum consensus (De-blur 10, Dejudder 0). But motion issues persisted with 60Hz sources.

Your discovery of turning off De-blur and setting Dejudder to 2-3 worked wonders on my Fire TV box, which outputs everything at 60Hz. OTA TV through my TiVo also looks nice and smooth with both 1080i and 720p. I may experiment with PC Mode, but it looks as if I won't have to.

Thank you!

LG OLED65B6P-U, Revel B15a (2), SVS Ultra Towers, Anthem MRX 720, TiVo Roamio OTA, Apple TV 4K, Sony PS3, LG UP870, Panamax MAX 5500
post #13488 of 28112 Old 02-25-2017, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 21
OK, attempting to watch my first HDR 4k blu-ray using xbox one S (John Wick). Only problem--HDR is not engaging. Thought for a minute it might be a receiver issue, but I switched to the netflix app on the xbox and the HDR flag immediately popped up. Thoughts?

*edit*

Well this is embarrassing...I didn't notice there were two discs in the case. All is well.

Last edited by mentsmin; 02-25-2017 at 04:00 PM.
post #13489 of 28112 Old 02-25-2017, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Edge View Post
Quebecker, you are a genius! I had tried like 1000 different TruMotion combos, settling on what seemed like a forum consensus (De-blur 10, Dejudder 0). But motion issues persisted with 60Hz sources.

Your discovery of turning off De-blur and setting Dejudder to 2-3 worked wonders on my Fire TV box, which outputs everything at 60Hz. OTA TV through my TiVo also looks nice and smooth with both 1080i and 720p. I may experiment with PC Mode, but it looks as if I won't have to.

Thank you!

This is how I run also ... 2-3 is just enough that it helps remove some of the most annoying judder (my eyes are crazy sensitive to it) but not enough to fully engage "soap opera mode"
Bleeding Edge likes this.

AVR-S940H | AVR-S920W | B&W Matrix 803 L/R | B&W Matrix HTM center | Fluance Signature Series surrounds | LG 65" OLED65B6P | Samsung 82" Q6FN QLED | 2x Nvidia Shield | HDHomeRun Prime
post #13490 of 28112 Old 02-25-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Quebecker, you are a genius!
I know.

The problem was the consensus for so long was to use De-blur instead of dejudder and this make using this combination really unlikely for us. We were brain washed to think De-blur was so great.

Dejudder only (I use 3) with Netflix internal app or Blu-ray player is however my greatest achievement. It is really a magnificent motion.

I will no longer user de-blur. Not even at a setting of 1.

Finally another discovery the B6 has more artefacts when receiving a 60hz signal than a 24hz signal. So for internal app, dejudder at 3 will be equivalent in term of artefacts to a setting of 2 with a Chromecast for exemple.
adrman likes this.

Last edited by Quebecker; 02-25-2017 at 03:50 PM.
post #13491 of 28112 Old 02-25-2017, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Originally Posted by Bleeding Edge
Quebecker, you are a genius!

I know.

Bleeding Edge likes this.

Joe
post #13492 of 28112 Old 02-25-2017, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I know.

The problem was the consensus for so long was to use De-blur instead of dejudder and this make using this combination really unlikely for us. We were brain washed to think De-blur was so great.

Dejudder only (I use 3) with Netflix internal app or Blu-ray player is however my greatest achievement. It is really a magnificent motion.

I will no longer user de-blur. Not even at a setting of 1.

Finally another discovery the B6 has more artefacts when receiving a 60hz signal than a 24hz signal. So for internal app, dejudder at 3 will be equivalent in term of artefacts to a setting of 2 with a Chromecast for exemple.
I like it! I've had Tru Motion off but I think I really like it at dejudder 3 & debut 0. Should I use this setting while watching content via DIRECTV?
Also it's tru moton (user) right not smooth or clear?
post #13493 of 28112 Old 02-25-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman23 View Post
I like it! I've had Tru Motion off but I think I really like it at dejudder 3 & debut 0. Should I use this setting while watching content via DIRECTV?
Also it's tru moton (user) right not smooth or clear?
Yes, it's user.

Also, for direct TV, try a maximum of 2.

3 might give your artefacts.

Like I said 60 Hz content are more prone to artefacts with dejudder.

Just never use deblur with de-judder, especially with 60hz material like TV or Chromecast.
post #13494 of 28112 Old 02-25-2017, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, it's user.

Also, for direct TV, try a maximum of 2.

3 might give your artefacts.

Like I said 60 Hz content are more prone to artefacts with dejudder.

Just never use deblur with de-judder, especially with 60hz material like TV or Chromecast.
Awesome! Is direct tv 60Hz? Sorry if it's a dumb question. Some of this stuff is new to me now. Lol! I'm coming from a ZT60 so things are a bit different.
post #13495 of 28112 Old 02-25-2017, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 444
After a number of hours tweaking, I've gotta say the B6 really can put out a hell of a picture, and I haven't hooked up my Samsung UHD player yet!

Letterbox bars are black! I have to use masking panels upstairs on the projection system.

The Redbox Bluray rental of "Hacksaw Ridge" looked fantastic. I'm going to buy a UHD copy so I can hear it in Atmos upstairs.

One question please. The B6 shows the input resolution. Is it safe to assume the TV is upscaling non-4K sources to 4K automagically, as I don't see anything in the menus to set?

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding because she knows where I sleep."
post #13496 of 28112 Old 02-25-2017, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3822 Post(s)
Liked: 3723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
After a number of hours tweaking, I've gotta say the B6 really can put out a hell of a picture, and I haven't hooked up my Samsung UHD player yet!

Letterbox bars are black! I have to use masking panels upstairs on the projection system.

The Redbox Bluray rental of "Hacksaw Ridge" looked fantastic. I'm going to buy a UHD copy so I can hear it in Atmos upstairs.

One question please. The B6 shows the input resolution. Is it safe to assume the TV is upscaling non-4K sources to 4K automagically, as I don't see anything in the menus to set?
Yes everything is upscaled to 4k.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Jive Turkey likes this.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
post #13497 of 28112 Old 02-25-2017, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
How bad is the vertical banding on the B6 models? I was looking at getting a used one however previous owner is selling due to this issue...
post #13498 of 28112 Old 02-25-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antikk View Post
How bad is the vertical banding on the B6 models? I was looking at getting a used one however previous owner is selling due to this issue...
Some people see it. They use special grey test and after that start getting anxious about it.

Maybe I'm lucky but I can't see it on my B6. Maybe only some TV have it really bad, IDK. I won't go looking for it by using special test however. What's the point!

If you can, you should see it by yourself, not by looking at grey scale test but real content.
john fusco likes this.

Last edited by Quebecker; 02-25-2017 at 07:32 PM.
post #13499 of 28112 Old 02-25-2017, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

Thank you!
Tried this for giggles, Comcast box @ 1080i, Been watching golf balls all day. User 0/10 still works best for motion with Comcast. Go figure...

55B6P
post #13500 of 28112 Old 02-25-2017, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I'm in ARC hell with my 55B6 and Onkyo tx-608. I've ordered an Onkyo RZ710, is it more compatible with LG's ARC and version of HDMI CEC (Simplilink)? All the ARC and Simplilink settings are switched on and I have the latest webOS update installed. My old Panasonic plasma's ARC and HDMI worked flawlessly, rather disappointed with LG's implementation despite it's outstanding picture.
In order to watch HDR Dolby Vision on Netflix with sound I relented to using the tv's speakers. Another irritating problem is that when I switch back to cable, LG doesn't switch the audio source back to my receiver so then I get picture but no sound and have to use the receiver's remote to switch the audio source. Is there a fix for that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
arc , C6-B6 , calibration , computer , desktop , firmware update , lg c6 pc sdr hdr , lg oled , monitor , oled , oled b6 , oled lg , screen damage , screen uniformity , settings , soundbar , there is sig

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page