2016 LG C6-B6 owners thread - Page 535 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 264247Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #16021 of 28333 Old 04-27-2017, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member
 
PTV Programmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 848
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
YouTube hdr is only supported on the G6



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why would that be the case?
PTV Programmer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #16022 of 28333 Old 04-27-2017, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 11,448
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3860 Post(s)
Liked: 3815
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTV Programmer View Post
Why would that be the case?

not sure but that is how it is , they never updated the app for the b,c and e.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
chunon is offline  
post #16023 of 28333 Old 04-27-2017, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member
 
sechev00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 521
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Anyone try the Sling TV app that was recently released for our LG TVs ? Quality of channels, UI, etc.?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG OLED55B6P ~ PS4 Pro ~ Xbox One X ~ Apple TV 4K ~ PSN/XBL: firesamu
sechev00 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #16024 of 28333 Old 04-27-2017, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hobbs47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 1,767
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
not sure but that is how it is , they never updated the app for the b,c and e.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seems hardware related. That being said I picked up a new Chromecast Ultra for $50 on eBay and that plays youtube HDR on my 65B6 just fine. I use the built in apps for everything else, so yeah, I paid $50 to watch a few youtube videos in HDR

Benq HT3550/LG OLED65B6P /Panny UB820 4k Bluray/Apple TV 4k
Nvidia Shield/HDFury AVRkey/Samsung HW-K950 Soundbar
hobbs47 is offline  
post #16025 of 28333 Old 04-27-2017, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member
 
scpanel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: El Sobrante
Posts: 619
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 28
New OLED65B6P Owner

Looks like I am an owner of a new OLED thanks to Chris. Should get it soon replacing my 3 yr old Sony XBR-65X850A so I have a lot of thread catch up to do this weekend!
Daryl L, Aetherhole and sechev00 like this.

Last edited by scpanel; 04-27-2017 at 11:58 AM.
scpanel is offline  
post #16026 of 28333 Old 04-27-2017, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 11,448
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3860 Post(s)
Liked: 3815
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbs47 View Post
Seems hardware related. That being said I picked up a new Chromecast Ultra for $50 and that plays youtube HDR on my 65B6 just fine. I use the built in apps for everything else, so yeah, I paid $50 to watch a few youtube videos in HDR

I don't think it is hardware G6 and C6 share the same SoC . I chalk it up to laziness on LGs part.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
chunon is offline  
post #16027 of 28333 Old 04-27-2017, 11:55 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Ok guys. Next Problem up. I installed The win 10 creators Update, OS now will do hdr. My TV is switching from hdr Mode to Standard Mode randomly. So i have blackscreens all the time when the TV Switches.

Is this a cable problem? I invested already in a audioquest cinnamon.

Are there any settings i Can apply to stop this switching ? I have nvidia Set to 10 bit 422 dynamic range limited. Hdmi to PC input. Hdr Mode Bright.

Gesendet von meinem F5121 mit Tapatalk
david.ganzenbach is offline  
post #16028 of 28333 Old 04-27-2017, 12:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 297
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman of Latria View Post
Hello all, and thank you so much for your input on my questions regarding the Judder/Motion on the B6 vs Plasma Tvs!

I guess I just have to make the decision now on buying the B6 or waiting another year+ ...the Tv is still on hold for me at the store.

My cousin has a 55" B6 at his home at the moment, so I will go over there and try the Tru-motion settings which everyone seems to agree on (DJ2 DB0).

I really really want to love this TV. At the moment, from what I have seen and read, I greatly respect the B6 for all it has brought to the table this past year, but I have yet to fall in Love with it. Maybe I should bring it home and give it a big hug. I'll definitely let you guys know if I do!

BTW I am quite interested in Black Frame Insertion coming to OLEDs at some point. Maybe that will end the ''motion'' discussion once and for all, as it might bring OLED close to Plasma motion. From what I have read, the problem with BFI is that it dims the picture when used, and OLED has not been able to get bright enough in order to incorporate BFI yet. At the moment, its not just only LG that doesn't use BFI in OLED. Neither does SONY, Philips, nor Panasonic OLEDs. Could they be waiting for the Nits (brightness) to go up in OLEDs in the coming years before they do?
Norman, if I may I'd like to ask you to consider this issue from a short-term gain and long-term cost perspective. First, would the picture from the B6 be that much better than your current TV to justify its cost? If not, I wouldn't buy the B6, but would wait on a purchase until I could find a TV that fit the bill for me.

Secondly, would it make better sense to buy the B6 for a closeout price rather than thousands more for a 2017 model? I'm going to use my situation as an example...

After studying the good and bad points of the 65" C6, I decided that it was a much better TV than my Sony 65" LED edge-lit model, and was worth the upgrade price. I paid $2,650 in U.S. dollars for the C6, and selling my Sony for $800 left me with a cash outlay of $1,850, which I had no trouble paying. If I'd decided to buy an appreciably better OLED TV in 2017 (perhaps the Sony A model) that would have cost $6,000 and I might only have gotten about $400 for my Sony LED TV. By enjoying the C6 until Spring 2021, I can have really good OLED quality for four years and then buy into much better OLED quality for much less money.

But what about the judder problems of the C6, and the loss of near-black detail? Judder is only really noticeable for me with certain videos, but is never a problem with live or filmed TV broadcasts, nor do I never notice it with DVD, Blu-ray or 4k discs. My User settings are 4 and 7, and I have no problem living with the occasional glitch.

As for the loss of near-black detail, it's better out of the box than my Sony 850c 4k TV ever was, and there is zero loss of near-black detail when watching 4k movies with High Dynamic Range, which is superb on this set.

So again, I would ask you to consider if upgrading is worth the cost for a 2016 OLED model, and whether it might be in your best interest to buy a 2016 model for a lower purchase price, and enjoying it for the next three or four years when OLED will be greatly improved.

Best of luck on your buying decision.
4kfan is offline  
post #16029 of 28333 Old 04-27-2017, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
PTV Programmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 848
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
I don't think it is hardware G6 and C6 share the same SoC . I chalk it up to laziness on LGs part.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think this is more likely.
chunon likes this.
PTV Programmer is offline  
post #16030 of 28333 Old 04-27-2017, 12:56 PM
 
Quebecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,490
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by david.ganzenbach View Post
Ok guys. Next Problem up. I installed The win 10 creators Update, OS now will do hdr. My TV is switching from hdr Mode to Standard Mode randomly. So i have blackscreens all the time when the TV Switches.

Is this a cable problem? I invested already in a audioquest cinnamon.

Are there any settings i Can apply to stop this switching ? I have nvidia Set to 10 bit 422 dynamic range limited. Hdmi to PC input. Hdr Mode Bright.

Gesendet von meinem F5121 mit Tapatalk
If you ask me, HDR on Windows (outside games) is completely broken as of now.

Microsoft knows it and most GPU manufacturer know it too.

So what you are experiencing is normal. Download those latest driver patch and update windows until it's fixed
david.ganzenbach likes this.
Quebecker is offline  
post #16031 of 28333 Old 04-27-2017, 01:08 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebecker View Post
If you ask me, HDR on Windows (outside games) is completely broken as of now.

Microsoft knows it and most GPU manufacturer know it too.

So what you are experiencing is normal. Download those latest driver patch and update windows until it's fixed
Yes. This is so broke. Clearly they are not on the same Page. Now i have another issue were i Can not select hdr at all, have to Stick to 8bit.

So i leave IT there. Only getting more frustrated when i dig more into this issue.

Nevertheless Thanks for your wisdom

Gesendet von meinem F5121 mit Tapatalk
david.ganzenbach is offline  
post #16032 of 28333 Old 04-27-2017, 02:53 PM
Member
 
Norman of Latria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kfan View Post
Norman, if I may I'd like to ask you to consider this issue from a short-term gain and long-term cost perspective. First, would the picture from the B6 be that much better than your current TV to justify its cost? If not, I wouldn't buy the B6, but would wait on a purchase until I could find a TV that fit the bill for me.

Secondly, would it make better sense to buy the B6 for a closeout price rather than thousands more for a 2017 model? I'm going to use my situation as an example...

After studying the good and bad points of the 65" C6, I decided that it was a much better TV than my Sony 65" LED edge-lit model, and was worth the upgrade price. I paid $2,650 in U.S. dollars for the C6, and selling my Sony for $800 left me with a cash outlay of $1,850, which I had no trouble paying. If I'd decided to buy an appreciably better OLED TV in 2017 (perhaps the Sony A model) that would have cost $6,000 and I might only have gotten about $400 for my Sony LED TV. By enjoying the C6 until Spring 2021, I can have really good OLED quality for four years and then buy into much better OLED quality for much less money.

But what about the judder problems of the C6, and the loss of near-black detail? Judder is only really noticeable for me with certain videos, but is never a problem with live or filmed TV broadcasts, nor do I never notice it with DVD, Blu-ray or 4k discs. My User settings are 4 and 7, and I have no problem living with the occasional glitch.

As for the loss of near-black detail, it's better out of the box than my Sony 850c 4k TV ever was, and there is zero loss of near-black detail when watching 4k movies with High Dynamic Range, which is superb on this set.

So again, I would ask you to consider if upgrading is worth the cost for a 2016 OLED model, and whether it might be in your best interest to buy a 2016 model for a lower purchase price, and enjoying it for the next three or four years when OLED will be greatly improved.

Best of luck on your buying decision.
Hello 4kfan and I really appreciate your input!

I know exactly where you are coming from, and have been contemplating the issues which you mention these past days/weeks.

I am more than satisfied with the picture quality of my current Panny Plasma 50 inch. Actually I feel that plasma PQ is unsurpassed even in 2017 and will probably be a good 3-4 years before OLED reaches the same levels in motion handling. Hopefully, now with more companies jumping in to the OLED game and competition rising, the tech upgrades will be faster...


However, the thing is that with my new living room arrangement (I say ''new'' but I mean a couple of years), I now sit 13-14 feet away from the tv. When playing video games I sometimes have to squint in order to read the text on screen. A few days ago I was watching Furry Road on blu ray with my wife and a friend, and after it was over we were all amazed at the cinematography and the picture quality, and at one point all three of us said almost simultaneously ''this really deserves a bigger screen!'' Simply put: I definitely need a bigger screen.

If I could get a new 65inch Plasma these days, I would. I would even consider a used Plasma. And then I would wait a few years until OLED matures. But in Greece it is near impossible to find a used Tv over 50 inches. I have been looking for 2 years.

There is no way that I would trade my plasma for an LCD/LED with so many problems (especially in motion handling, screen uniformity etc etc), so I was stuck with my 50 inch...

But now that OLED and the B6 arrived on the scene, I have been seriously eyeing the 65inch...

My personal dilemma is this: Buy a new 65inch B6 OLED with a great picture quality OR keep the Panny Plasma 50inch with EXCELLENT picture quality.

I know I know..first world problems

*If I wasn't so sensitive to Judder and artefacts/SOE my choice would be much easier...but alas...I am!
Norman of Latria is offline  
post #16033 of 28333 Old 04-27-2017, 03:02 PM
Member
 
forzadc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clement Afficial View Post
Few fast pics... of course it looks better in real life!
Great show!
forzadc is offline  
post #16034 of 28333 Old 04-27-2017, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Superman23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Hamburg Township, Michigan
Posts: 1,536
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 940 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman of Latria View Post
Hello 4kfan and I really appreciate your input!

I know exactly where you are coming from, and have been contemplating the issues which you mention these past days/weeks.

I am more than satisfied with the picture quality of my current Panny Plasma 50 inch. Actually I feel that plasma PQ is unsurpassed even in 2017 and will probably be a good 3-4 years before OLED reaches the same levels in motion handling. Hopefully, now with more companies jumping in to the OLED game and competition rising, the tech upgrades will be faster...


However, the thing is that with my new living room arrangement (I say ''new'' but I mean a couple of years), I now sit 13-14 feet away from the tv. When playing video games I sometimes have to squint in order to read the text on screen. A few days ago I was watching Furry Road on blu ray with my wife and a friend, and after it was over we were all amazed at the cinematography and the picture quality, and at one point all three of us said almost simultaneously ''this really deserves a bigger screen!'' Simply put: I definitely need a bigger screen.

If I could get a new 65inch Plasma these days, I would. I would even consider a used Plasma. And then I would wait a few years until OLED matures. But in Greece it is near impossible to find a used Tv over 50 inches. I have been looking for 2 years.

There is no way that I would trade my plasma for an LCD/LED with so many problems (especially in motion handling, screen uniformity etc etc), so I was stuck with my 50 inch...

But now that OLED and the B6 arrived on the scene, I have been seriously eyeing the 65inch...

My personal dilemma is this: Buy a new 65inch B6 OLED with a great picture quality OR keep the Panny Plasma 50inch with EXCELLENT picture quality.

I know I know..first world problems

*If I wasn't so sensitive to Judder and artefacts/SOE my choice would be much easier...but alas...I am!
Just get the 65" B6. Remember me.....the Panasonic ZT60 and Pioneer Kuro 9.5 G fan boy? The B6 is just as good and actually surpasses these Plasmas. I was worried about Motion too but I seriously do not see any problems at all. I couldn't be happier and I thought Plasma was the best. Not any more.

LG OLED 65B6P
Panasonic VIERA TC-P65VT30
OPPO UDP-203 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray Player
Sony PlayStation 4 Pro
Nintendo Switch
Sony PlayStation 3
Superman23 is offline  
post #16035 of 28333 Old 04-27-2017, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
PTV Programmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 848
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Is anyone successfully using ARC for audio from the apps or is it just a waste of time? I have the C6 and a Marantz receiver.
PTV Programmer is offline  
post #16036 of 28333 Old 04-27-2017, 03:47 PM
Senior Member
 
adcustom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTV Programmer View Post
Is anyone successfully using ARC for audio from the apps or is it just a waste of time? I have the C6 and a Marantz receiver.
I am...works flawlessly with my Onkyo AVR.

LG OLED55C7P • Denon AVR-X6400H • NAD Masters Series M22 • MartinLogan Motion 40 Towers, Motion 30 Center, Motion LX16 Surrounds, Dynamo 700W Sub • OPPO UDP-203 • Xbox One X • PS4 Pro
adcustom is offline  
post #16037 of 28333 Old 04-27-2017, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member
 
PTV Programmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 848
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by adcustom View Post
I am...works flawlessly with my Onkyo AVR.
Cool. What setting do I use on the C6?
PTV Programmer is offline  
post #16038 of 28333 Old 04-27-2017, 03:49 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 188
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by adcustom View Post
I am...works flawlessly with my Onkyo AVR.
Same, no problem with my older Yamaha RX-V375
ziocomposite is offline  
post #16039 of 28333 Old 04-27-2017, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
PTV Programmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 848
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 144
I just tried and the audio to the app nicely (Netflix), but when I exit the app my receiver switches to my Apple TV input, not back to watching cable TV.
PTV Programmer is offline  
post #16040 of 28333 Old 04-27-2017, 04:26 PM
Member
 
Norman of Latria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman23 View Post
Just get the 65" B6. Remember me.....the Panasonic ZT60 and Pioneer Kuro 9.5 G fan boy? The B6 is just as good and actually surpasses these Plasmas. I was worried about Motion too but I seriously do not see any problems at all. I couldn't be happier and I thought Plasma was the best. Not any more.
I know I know.... You have been very reassuring, especially coming from the king ZT60 Plasmas. All hail ZT60!!

Remind me again your settings on DJ and DB please....most people like DJ2 DB0
Norman of Latria is offline  
post #16041 of 28333 Old 04-27-2017, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
NashGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nashville, TN, USA
Posts: 1,540
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1006 Post(s)
Liked: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman of Latria View Post
Thank you for the reply! Your posts are consistently informative.

I am on the fence about buying the B6, as I really love so many things about it, but I am afraid that I have been spoiled by Plasma concerning the motion...

I have seen the B6 WITHOUT the 04.31.15 firmware (I am in Greece), and the choice between Judder and SOE is not one I want to have to make.

I am still confused about something...has the new firmware (04.31.15) improved Judder/Motion on true 24p content (Blu Rays, internal apps) as well, or only 24p over 60hhz (external device streaming etc)?

Also when viewing some dark scenes on the B6, such as the beginning of Interstellar on Blu ray (where matthew mcconaughey is sleeping), I noticed some noise in the shadows...is the ''edge enhancement'' which I have heard about? Can it be fixed with calibration? I don't mind crushing some blacks to get rid of it....

Sorry for the many questions
I love my B6, although I have no doubts that the new C7 would be just a bit better. Whether it's worth it to you to spend extra money now, or wait on the price of the C7 to fall, is up to you.

One of the few minor improvements of the 2017 C7 over the 2016 B6 is that the C7 has less noise in near-black areas due to improved signal processing, as well as ever-so-slightly better shadow detail (possibly due in part to smaller increments in the brightness control). The Sony A1E performs similarly to the C7 in this regard.

Another reported improvement of the C7 over the B6 is that on the C7 the RealCinema feature works to improve motion for 24p content embedded within a 60p/60 Hz signal (e.g. from an external streaming device). On the B6, that feature only works for 24p content within a 60i signal -- only within interlaced, not progressive scan, signals.

Lastly, the C7 offers better HDR, with slightly brighter peak highlights and greater fidelity within those peaks, as well as support for more HDR formats, including HLG and Technicolor (although LG officials earlier this year verbally stated that they would offer a firmware upgrade for 2016 models to add HLG).
NashGuy is offline  
post #16042 of 28333 Old 04-27-2017, 04:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 297
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman of Latria View Post
Hello 4kfan and I really appreciate your input!

I know exactly where you are coming from, and have been contemplating the issues which you mention these past days/weeks.

I am more than satisfied with the picture quality of my current Panny Plasma 50 inch. Actually I feel that plasma PQ is unsurpassed even in 2017 and will probably be a good 3-4 years before OLED reaches the same levels in motion handling. Hopefully, now with more companies jumping in to the OLED game and competition rising, the tech upgrades will be faster...


However, the thing is that with my new living room arrangement (I say ''new'' but I mean a couple of years), I now sit 13-14 feet away from the tv. When playing video games I sometimes have to squint in order to read the text on screen. A few days ago I was watching Furry Road on blu ray with my wife and a friend, and after it was over we were all amazed at the cinematography and the picture quality, and at one point all three of us said almost simultaneously ''this really deserves a bigger screen!'' Simply put: I definitely need a bigger screen.

If I could get a new 65inch Plasma these days, I would. I would even consider a used Plasma. And then I would wait a few years until OLED matures. But in Greece it is near impossible to find a used Tv over 50 inches. I have been looking for 2 years.

There is no way that I would trade my plasma for an LCD/LED with so many problems (especially in motion handling, screen uniformity etc etc), so I was stuck with my 50 inch...

But now that OLED and the B6 arrived on the scene, I have been seriously eyeing the 65inch...

My personal dilemma is this: Buy a new 65inch B6 OLED with a great picture quality OR keep the Panny Plasma 50inch with EXCELLENT picture quality.

I know I know..first world problems

*If I wasn't so sensitive to Judder and artefacts/SOE my choice would be much easier...but alas...I am!
In replying, you've provided some interesting points, and these are worth considering...

You've stated that, except for screen size, you're quite satisfied with a plasma TV, and this gives me the impression that you'd be just as happy with a 1080p plasma at 65" as you would with a 65" OLED. I suspect that if you saw an episode of 'Planet Earth II' in true 4k HDR on a 65" LG OLED you'd have serious second thoughts about that, but in any event it's a moot point; plasma is dead, and if you're going to go from a 50" TV to a 65" model, you're simply going to have to buy an LED/LCD, OLED or QLED.

I see two solutions to your problem. Since OLED's judder factor is just not acceptable to you, and you don't want an LED TV, arrange your furniture so that you're sitting closer to your 50" screen, and wait for a few years until OLED's judder problem is effectively resolved, hopefully at an affordable price. Secondly, buy a 2016 65" B6 at its closeout price, live with the occasional hiccup for a few years, and buy into your dream TV when OLED technology matures to your satisfaction.

But I must tell you that there's something I'm bothered about. You've written that OLED's 4k quality is "great" while plasma's 1080p quality is "EXCELLENT." Huh?? That certainly wasn't my experience. I had the 58" Panasonic VT-25 3D 1080p TV, and while it provided a decent picture, it didn't compare with the Sony 850c 65" LED 4k TV, and the Sony couldn't hope to compete with the 65" LG 4k OLED. From this, I would guess that pristine picture quality is not of paramount importance to you.

So being, here's a suggestion that I think makes the best sense. Keep your current TV and use your money to buy a new 35mm digital SLR camera. Greece may well be the most beautiful country in the world, and you are truly blessed to live in such a wonderful land. As a creative photographer, if I lived in your country I'd be taking pictures 25 hours a day. I'm jealous.
4kfan is offline  
post #16043 of 28333 Old 04-27-2017, 05:01 PM
Member
 
Norman of Latria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashGuy View Post
I love my B6, although I have no doubts that the new C7 would be just a bit better. Whether it's worth it to you to spend extra money now, or wait on the price of the C7 to fall, is up to you.

One of the few minor improvements of the 2017 C7 over the 2016 B6 is that the C7 has less noise in near-black areas due to improved signal processing, as well as ever-so-slightly better shadow detail (possibly due in part to smaller increments in the brightness control). The Sony A1E performs similarly to the C7 in this regard.

Another reported improvement of the C7 over the B6 is that on the C7 the RealCinema feature works to improve motion for 24p content embedded within a 60p/60 Hz signal (e.g. from an external streaming device). On the B6, that feature only works for 24p content within a 60i signal -- only within interlaced, not progressive scan, signals.

Lastly, the C7 offers better HDR, with slightly brighter peak highlights and greater fidelity within those peaks, as well as support for more HDR formats, including HLG and Technicolor (although LG officials earlier this year verbally stated that they would offer a firmware upgrade for 2016 models to add HLG).
Hello Nash,

Thank you for your input!

However after reading several threads and comments, I was under the impression that the new firmware fro the B6 (04.31.15) finally fixed the motion issues with 24p over 60hz signal (external streaming device). Maybe the C7 does it even better!

Also, I have heard that you can eliminate the noise near black areas in the B6 by sacrificing a little black shadow detail (crush blacks a little)...by lowering the brightness. Some threads suggest going into the service menu and doing this....


To tell you the truth, if I am ok with blu-rays true 24p motion on the B6, I will be happy. I mostly watch movies on blu-ray, I'll use the internal app for netflix, and I know that gaming is great on the ps4. So I'm set!

I am going to go and see my cousin's 55'' B6 tomorrow and do some more testing with the settings suggested by the kind people on this forum, and I will let you all know my results.

If my spoiled, nit-picking eye can be convinced to trade in my plasma by the B6, I will be its No1 advocate for future prospective buyers!!
Superman23 likes this.
Norman of Latria is offline  
post #16044 of 28333 Old 04-27-2017, 05:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Superman23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Hamburg Township, Michigan
Posts: 1,536
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 940 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman of Latria View Post
I know I know.... You have been very reassuring, especially coming from the king ZT60 Plasmas. All hail ZT60!!

Remind me again your settings on DJ and DB please....most people like DJ2 DB0
LOL! Ok good thought you forgot about me! Since the .15 firmware update I don't use any Tru motion. But up until then I use DJ2 and DB0 also. Quebecker figured those settings out and they worked really nice.
Norman of Latria likes this.

LG OLED 65B6P
Panasonic VIERA TC-P65VT30
OPPO UDP-203 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray Player
Sony PlayStation 4 Pro
Nintendo Switch
Sony PlayStation 3
Superman23 is offline  
post #16045 of 28333 Old 04-27-2017, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
scJohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rock Hill, SC
Posts: 534
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
I didn't like the rtings settings either, and I dialed everyone of them in. Went to standard mode and dialed in a beautiful picture by eye (the cardinal sin!). I think settings can be a little different TV to TV, and somewhat dictated by the environment you watch in.
I am not a big fan of the rtings settings. I like the Darko settings for the 55B6.
adcustom likes this.
scJohn is offline  
post #16046 of 28333 Old 04-27-2017, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member
 
sechev00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 521
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Do you guys leave Real Cinema On when watching internal apps? Or off for internal apps and just On only when watching Blu-Ray movies?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG OLED55B6P ~ PS4 Pro ~ Xbox One X ~ Apple TV 4K ~ PSN/XBL: firesamu
sechev00 is offline  
post #16047 of 28333 Old 04-27-2017, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Superman23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Hamburg Township, Michigan
Posts: 1,536
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 940 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by sechev00 View Post
Do you guys leave Real Cinema On when watching internal apps? Or off for internal apps and just On only when watching Blu-Ray movies?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have mine on!
sechev00 likes this.

LG OLED 65B6P
Panasonic VIERA TC-P65VT30
OPPO UDP-203 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray Player
Sony PlayStation 4 Pro
Nintendo Switch
Sony PlayStation 3
Superman23 is offline  
post #16048 of 28333 Old 04-27-2017, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
sechev00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 521
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman23 View Post
I have mine on!


Okay same here. I saw what I mentioned be said on another thread as the correct settings to have. So I was doubting myself for a second there.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Superman23 likes this.

LG OLED55B6P ~ PS4 Pro ~ Xbox One X ~ Apple TV 4K ~ PSN/XBL: firesamu
sechev00 is offline  
post #16049 of 28333 Old 04-27-2017, 06:06 PM
Member
 
Norman of Latria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kfan View Post
In replying, you've provided some interesting points, and these are worth considering...

You've stated that, except for screen size, you're quite satisfied with a plasma TV, and this gives me the impression that you'd be just as happy with a 1080p plasma at 65" as you would with a 65" OLED. I suspect that if you saw an episode of 'Planet Earth II' in true 4k HDR on a 65" LG OLED you'd have serious second thoughts about that, but in any event it's a moot point; plasma is dead, and if you're going to go from a 50" TV to a 65" model, you're simply going to have to buy an LED/LCD, OLED or QLED.

I see two solutions to your problem. Since OLED's judder factor is just not acceptable to you, and you don't want an LED TV, arrange your furniture so that you're sitting closer to your 50" screen, and wait for a few years until OLED's judder problem is effectively resolved, hopefully at an affordable price. Secondly, buy a 2016 65" B6 at its closeout price, live with the occasional hiccup for a few years, and buy into your dream TV when OLED technology matures to your satisfaction.

But I must tell you that there's something I'm bothered about. You've written that OLED's 4k quality is "great" while plasma's 1080p quality is "EXCELLENT." Huh?? That certainly wasn't my experience. I had the 58" Panasonic VT-25 3D 1080p TV, and while it provided a decent picture, it didn't compare with the Sony 850c 65" LED 4k TV, and the Sony couldn't hope to compete with the 65" LG 4k OLED. From this, I would guess that pristine picture quality is not of paramount importance to you.

So being, here's a suggestion that I think makes the best sense. Keep your current TV and use your money to buy a new 35mm digital SLR camera. Greece may well be the most beautiful country in the world, and you are truly blessed to live in such a wonderful land. As a creative photographer, if I lived in your country I'd be taking pictures 25 hours a day. I'm jealous.
Hello again and thank you for taking the time to deal with my dilemma!

Actually, the two solutions you provide are the ones I also thought of. A few days ago I tried to convince my wife into rearranging the furniture so that we sit closer to the tv, but she was not having any of it! Ha, To be honest she is probably right, as since our renovation, our current set up is the most practical and aesthetically pleasing...

So now I am contemplating the second solution: Buying the B6, living with the slight hick-ups and waiting till OLED matures even further...

Regarding your reaction to my picture quality ranking between OLED and Plasma, I totally understand why many (most) people rate OLED's PQ higher. I admit that OLED's blacks are even blacker than Plasma, and the picture has a slight ''crispness'' and definition over the plasma. ''Pristine'' is a good word for it. If I were to rate OLED vs Plasma point-by-point, OLED would probably win more points (by a small margin). However, personally, I value motion over all. And since Plasma has great blacks, great uniformity, natural colors, and EXCELLENT motion, overall I prefer its picture over OLED. Granted I am not speaking of 4k, as plasma lacks it completely. When 4k content is much more prominent, and almost all our viewing is 4k it will be a different story...

Finally, concerning Greece, I own a small Holiday Home agency, and part of my job is to photograph Holiday homes, villas, and scenery. I actually did this myself for a few years, and still do when my photographer is unavailable. Our newest trend is drone photography

Greece is truly a beautiful beautiful land with amazing landscapes, coasts, beaches, hills, mountains, plains, islands, canyons, waterfalls, and blue blue skies...I am lucky to live in this country. However (and I know I'll catch alot of flak for this), I can't stand the 6 month summers! I am Greek-American, and my Ohio DNA can't take the constant heat! I am already dreading the arrival of May, as I know its flip-flop season until November! I can't wait for Fall ) haha

Cheers!
richlife likes this.

Last edited by Norman of Latria; 04-27-2017 at 06:17 PM.
Norman of Latria is offline  
post #16050 of 28333 Old 04-27-2017, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wizziwig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: SoCal, USA
Posts: 3,579
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2270 Post(s)
Liked: 1542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdub25 View Post
So I think I managed to put a burnin on my OLED. My wife has been playing Zelda breath of the wilds for about four hours every day and then turning the game off to watch normal content. The other day a Home Depot commerical came on and the background?went orange, I noticed a row of shadowed hearts in the upper left hand corner. I noticed it on Friday and it is still there but only shows up when certain colors are displayed i.e red, orange light purple etc.
I flashed a white image on the screen and can't see it. I went through a couple comp cycles and have been watching only movies to see if it will 'self heal' like lg says.
What do you guys think or have you had a shadow image that only appears? when certain colors are displayed?
It almost looks like the pixels that made up the hearts can't get as red as the rest of the screen when a full red/ orange image is displayed
Can you please post pictures of your burn-in on the official OLED screen burn thread so we can keep track of how many users are affected by this. Thanks.
Wizziwig is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
arc , C6-B6 , calibration , computer , desktop , firmware update , lg c6 pc sdr hdr , lg oled , monitor , oled , oled b6 , oled lg , screen damage , screen uniformity , settings , soundbar , there is sig

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off