AVS Forum banner
3M views 30K replies 2K participants last post by  d3193 
#1 · (Edited)
I plan on getting a 65C6P and since we already have owners of the 55C6P I figured an owners thread is due.

Especially curios about panel uniformity, near black issues, content playback for UHD HDR Bluray, 3D, etc.

#10,841 ·
Do you guys know if there is a way to play 4K HDR blurays in SDR bt2020?
My friend can do that with his Panasonic player but I wonder if there is a way to do that with other 4k players. Maybe by disabling HDMI Deep Colour on the tv?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
The player has to be capable to do that conversion to SDR REC.2020.

If you don't have that option, the player automatically send 1080p24 REC.709 when it will see that the display can't play HDR.

#10,842 ·
Can we expect or even possible fotr the 2016 models to get an update with the new HDR modes? I have a 65 inch C6 and love it. Hoping an upgrade for the new modes will come so not too obsolete. I am very sad to see no 3D on new models either? 3D is dying but I love it so much especially with the picture quality of the OLED. What is everyone elses comments on this? Sorry if already brought up. The thread grows so quick, hard to keep up with everything, Happy New year.
It would really be a surprise if there were some kind of firmware update to allow for the new HDR modes in the 2016 TVs, even if it is technically possible (not sure if it is). That's a new feature that would drive sales for the 2017 sets. I could of course be totally wrong about that since everything about that is a guess on my part. HDR is still kind of on the bleeding edge, so who knows what's in store? Obsolescence is kind of a risk (almost a given) when you're first generation of anything. But these sets are so nice that I think I'll be happy with mine for a very long time.

3D always seemed like a gimmick to me. I watched a little bit on an earlier set that supported it and, while I thought it was cool, there was no way I wanted to sit through many movies like that. It doesn't surprise me that it's dying out. Although I do understand that the (presumably) smaller market that enjoys 3D is probably disappointed.

#10,843 · (Edited)

If you don't have that option, the player automatically send 1080p24 REC.709 when it will see that the display can't play HDR.
What is SDR REC.2020? Is that the same as 'regular 4k' on Netflix/Amazon vs the HDR10/DV?

Are some 4k Blu rays like that? Regular 4k and HDR versions? Or is it the the blu rays don't suffer the same issues as Amazon/Netflix and are mastered better?

#10,844 ·
What is SDR REC.2020? Is that the same as 'regular 4k' on Netflix/Amazon vs the HDR10/DV?

Are some 4k Blu rays like that? Regular 4k and HDR versions? Or is it the the blu rays don't suffer the same issues as Amazon/Netflix and are mastered better?
All movies available in UHD disks are 2160p24 with HDR in REC.2020 ColorSpace, when the player will do the conversion we are talking; it can output 2160p24 in REC2020 ColorSpace without HDR.

SDR = Standard Dynamic Range

#10,845 · (Edited)
Can we expect or even possible fotr the 2016 models to get an update with the new HDR modes? I have a 65 inch C6 and love it. Hoping an upgrade for the new modes will come so not too obsolete. I am very sad to see no 3D on new models either? 3D is dying but I love it so much especially with the picture quality of the OLED. What is everyone elses comments on this? Sorry if already brought up. The thread grows so quick, hard to keep up with everything, Happy New year.
It would really be a surprise if there were some kind of firmware update to allow for the new HDR modes in the 2016 TVs, even if it is technically possible (not sure if it is). That's a new feature that would drive sales for the 2017 sets. I could of course be totally wrong about that since everything about that is a guess on my part. HDR is still kind of on the bleeding edge, so who knows what's in store? Obsolescence is kind of a risk (almost a given) when you're first generation of anything. But these sets are so nice that I think I'll be happy with mine for a very long time.

3D always seemed like a gimmick to me. I watched a little bit on an earlier set that supported it and, while I thought it was cool, there was no way I wanted to sit through many movies like that. It doesn't surprise me that it's dying out. Although I do understand that the (presumably) smaller market that enjoys 3D is probably disappointed.
We are now up to 4 HDR formats. I doubt they'll all survive and we won't know which one or if any will make it 2 years for now.

I do find it interesting that the BBC is backing one of the formats and its not DV or HDR10. I think the big advantage with this one is that they can use most of their current equipment. Here's more if you care to read about it. http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range

#10,846 ·

So it comes down to the player capability. A buddy of mine has the Panasonic and he gets 4k SDR bt2020 in wide gamut but without HDR popping up and claims content looks better that way. You get all the benefits of wide gamut 10- but without being torched by HDR

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

#10,847 ·
Or you could just try toning down the OLED light to not be "torched" out. Maybe a simple fix (not necessarily accurate).

The Oppo UDP-203 player also support stripping the HDR from the signal to send the bt.2020 through SDR as well. Reports are that it's hit and miss right now, but knowing Oppo, they will continue to make vast improvements to it.

#10,848 ·
People who want that feature available in the player are generally people who don't have HDR capable sets, mainly people with projectors, it seems. That way they can benefit from the bt.2020 color gamut while still being able to watch in 4K SDR at the same time.

#10,850 ·
I was just wondering if anyone here could share some of their experience on the OTA signal/performance of this set.

And what antenna you're using to get the OTA signal. Does it have to be anything special that I can get from a local Radio Shack?

Thanks
OTA is OTA. This TV handles OTA as well as any other (in my experience). I just have a basic indoor antenna and it works well enough for me. All that really matters is your location and your service area. Google "OTA coverage" or "OTA Maps" and you should be able to get a lot of advice on what you need for your area. Radio Shack would be a good place to go, but I don't think those exist anymore?

#10,851 ·
All movies available in UHD disks are 2160p24 with HDR in REC.2020 ColorSpace, when the player will do the conversion we are talking; it can output 2160p24 in REC2020 ColorSpace without HDR.

SDR = Standard Dynamic Range
I'm confused though between HDR and WCG -- I had thought they were the same but apparently not. In my photographer mind WCG = HDR as it is able to show all shadow detail and highlights just fine, so I'm confused by SDR in REC.2020.

I guess the HDR designation just referring to processing?

#10,852 ·
I was just wondering if anyone here could share some of their experience on the OTA signal/performance of this set.

And what antenna you're using to get the OTA signal. Does it have to be anything special that I can get from a local Radio Shack?

Thanks
I've got a $9.99 special from Home Depot and it works great -- compared to my old Samsung DLP the tuner in the B6 does a much better job. Really happy with OTA performance -- the picture kicks butt compared to DirecTV!

#10,853 ·

Thanks
I use OTA and Direct TV for content other than movies. OTA looks exceptional to me. I bought a good antenna here .

#10,854 ·
I'm confused though between HDR and WCG -- I had thought they were the same but apparently not. In my photographer mind WCG = HDR as it is able to show all shadow detail and highlights just fine, so I'm confused by SDR in REC.2020.

I guess the HDR designation just referring to processing?
HDR content in UHD disks can be mastered with peak luminance up to 10.000 nits (HDR), currently they master the movies in 1.000/1.000/4.000 nits, in very wide REC.2020 gamut.

SDR = BD disks; has been mastered in 100-120nits in classic REC.709 colorspace.

When the UHD player will remove the HDR from a UHD title, you will have REC2020 and SDR (100nit). There option to output a UHD movie in REC.709 1080p SDR also, these are settings available in players.

#10,856 ·
Is very wide REC.2020 the same as 10bit D3 or are they actually in 16bit full REC.2020 color?
Current UHD disks are using REC2020 10bit up to 4.000nits, upcoming Dolby Vision disks will have REC.2020 12-bit 10.000nits.

bitdepth is not related with colorspace. Just you need at least 10bit color for such large colorspace.

#10,859 ·
To all your Oled owners, is LG Oled really worth it??
In the country I am living at, LG Oled is $1,700 more expensive!!!!! Yeah no joke.
So is it really worth it to pay $1,700 more for one of those Oled TVs??
For the 55 inches ones.
1700$ more expansive ?

Probably not.

In Canada during black friday it was 100$ cheaper than Sony X930D and just 300$ more than Samsung Ks8000.

Where do you live ?

#10,860 · (Edited)
To all your Oled owners, is LG Oled really worth it??
In the country I am living at, LG Oled is $1,700 more expensive!!!!! Yeah no joke.
So is it really worth it to pay $1,700 more for one of those Oled TVs??
For the 55 inches ones.
That's a pretty subjective question. It was totally worth it to me. Will it be worth it to you? Who knows but you? Check out the reviews online and go to a store and check 'em out. I am willing to bet that prices will drop on these sets in the next few weeks...