2016 LG C6-B6 owners thread - Page 596 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 264198Likes

post #17851 of 28166 Old 05-23-2017, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 940 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jond0 View Post
Well, thank god it worked out just like you guys said: I came home and turned on my B6 and the WebOS screen came up (stayed on just long enough to make me uncomfortable), and then the TV came on. Phew!

USB and time to pay attention for the duration next time!

Thank you all!
See all is good my friend! Now enjoy that tv!

LG OLED 65B6P
Panasonic VIERA TC-P65VT30
OPPO UDP-203 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray Player
Sony PlayStation 4 Pro
Nintendo Switch
Sony PlayStation 3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17852 of 28166 Old 05-23-2017, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
I don't know if my set is ok I have to wait until I get home. The strange thing is though in all the notes about doing the manual update there is no mention of being careful not to disrupt power. Not even a warning not to turn it off or unplug it, even on the TV itself. Not that that is an excuse -- next time I will use USB and do the update in the evening rather than first thing in the morning. I've done a ton of these updates myself, and that's why I just about pooped a brick on the bus when I remembered the update had been running prior to me shutting it off and running out the door.
... just about pooped a brick on the bus?... LOL... that cracked me up

Ah... but it does mention a warning... errr ahhh... at least it does on LG's Support web site under the tab Software, Firmware & Drivers.

However, you raise an interesting point. I don't use the auto update feature built into the TV... in fact I don't use an of the apps or even have the internet connected to my TV. I have all that crap disabled, choosing instead to use ROKU, and a PC to handle all my streaming needs, and do all my firmware updates manually via USB. Since I don't use the auto update feature I can't say one way or another if using the built in auto update feature offers a warning of any kind about interrupting the firmware update. That would seem odd since they make such a point about it in the update guide. I'm sure other members can set me straight.. Does the auto update feature ever display a warning about disrupting power during the update process?

post #17853 of 28166 Old 05-23-2017, 09:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 137
'Logan' on 4K/HDR looks absolutely insane on the B6.

Probably my favorite UHD Blu-Ray I've viewed on this panel so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17854 of 28166 Old 05-23-2017, 09:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2308 Post(s)
Liked: 1866
Quote:
Originally Posted by TetraVaal View Post
'Logan' on 4K/HDR looks absolutely insane on the B6.

Probably my favorite UHD Blu-Ray I've viewed on this panel so far.
It has great use if lighting and shadows, which likely make use of the OLED screen really well, but it doesn't appear to make much use of the extended color gamut or HDR highlights very much. There was a subtle improvement across the board, but nothing mind blowing on my 930d like many other movies. I'll skim through it some more tomorrow when I get my C6 but I have a feeling the large portion of what you like of the movie is good lighting, shadows, and an excellent use of color grading.

I really loved the movie though, even better the second time through.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HTCT780, Base PS4, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Sony UBP-X700, Atomos Ninja Inferno
Check out my video game movie edits
post #17855 of 28166 Old 05-23-2017, 10:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey,

I'm hoping someone can help me out, or at least point me in the right direction.

I just got a 55" B6, and was trying to see if I could view videos on a hard drive connected to my router (An Asus RT-AC68U). It supports DLNA, and I've confirmed that it's enabled on the router. I'm able to browse to the shared media with no problems from a Windows PC.

Everything out there says to use Smart Share, but it doesn't appear that that's thing any more? I don't have a Smart Share option that I'm able to find anyway. When I go into Pictures and Video, it only allows me to check internal memory for Sample Pictures and things like that (haven't tried USB yet).

I feel like I'm missing something easy, I'm just not sure what it is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #17856 of 28166 Old 05-23-2017, 10:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I have a C6 and use the Photo & Video app on the TV to view DLNA-served content on my Synology server. If your Asus supports DLNA, you should be just fine. I'm VERY surprised how versatile the file support is on this app, in fact.

Not to be Capt. Obvious, but have you set up the network support on your B6? Mine is hardwired and automatically senses my DLNA server software.
post #17857 of 28166 Old 05-23-2017, 11:21 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1709 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Quote:
On my B6 one half the screen is slightly green while the other side is slightly magenta -- other than that I don't seem to have any grayscale issues.
Mine's the same way and transitions about where my calibration window displays.

Sure makes calibrating interesting.

One thing I did notice is at 14' from the display, I usually sit at the right end of a sofa. If I move to the center of the sofa, it almost goes away.

If you've got the interest, try moving left/right a few feet and see if the effect changes.
post #17858 of 28166 Old 05-24-2017, 04:08 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'm not sure if this is possible since LG is weirdly strict about what remotes pair with our TVs... I'm not a fan of the button layout on the an-mr650 and really liked the simplistic an-mr500.

Does anyone have a AN-WF500 and AN-MR500 that could attempt to pair to the C6 or B6?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0167.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	2152754   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0168.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	2152762  

Last edited by Jspecht05; 05-24-2017 at 04:11 AM.
post #17859 of 28166 Old 05-24-2017, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elton Noway View Post
... just about pooped a brick on the bus?... LOL... that cracked me up

Ah... but it does mention a warning... errr ahhh... at least it does on LG's Support web site under the tab Software, Firmware & Drivers.

However, you raise an interesting point. I don't use the auto update feature built into the TV... in fact I don't use an of the apps or even have the internet connected to my TV. I have all that crap disabled, choosing instead to use ROKU, and a PC to handle all my streaming needs, and do all my firmware updates manually via USB. Since I don't use the auto update feature I can't say one way or another if using the built in auto update feature offers a warning of any kind about interrupting the firmware update. That would seem odd since they make such a point about it in the update guide. I'm sure other members can set me straight.. Does the auto update feature ever display a warning about disrupting power during the update process?

That's the USB section you've highlighted there, as I mentioned the manual update section has no such warnings. And if you look carefully on the screenshots on the link you provided the USB on screen says do not unplug or turn off and the manual one has no such warning. It was the first time I've updated that way and probably won't do it again.
post #17860 of 28166 Old 05-24-2017, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
Mine's the same way and transitions about where my calibration window displays.

Sure makes calibrating interesting.

One thing I did notice is at 14' from the display, I usually sit at the right end of a sofa. If I move to the center of the sofa, it almost goes away.

If you've got the interest, try moving left/right a few feet and see if the effect changes.
I have noticed the same thing re: left/right/center. Does make perfect greyscale hard to achieve, but at least it's subtle.
post #17861 of 28166 Old 05-24-2017, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6661 Post(s)
Liked: 6644
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post
If you read my post you would see I was factoring in viewing distance. Regardless of viewing distance, you're going to need a very large screen relative to that distance to get any kind of benefit out of an 8K screen. Most people aren't even close to getting the full benefit of their 4K screens.
I did I was agreeing and restating the facts. You are 1000% correct, most will not even truly see 4K. In the end most do not care......
morphinapg likes this.
post #17862 of 28166 Old 05-24-2017, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

My TV just arrived, but I'm home alone, so I may need to wait for someone else to get here to help me assemble and move the TV. Or is it doable solo for the 55" C6?

Daryl L likes this.

Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Sony UBP-X700, Atomos Ninja Inferno
post #17863 of 28166 Old 05-24-2017, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hello I'm a b6 owner since last December, recently I've noticed something weird watching GOT season 5 Blu-ray, for the example in episode 8 at 39:54 when a very dark scene is playing for a while and suddenly appears a bright one like snow or mostly white it's like if the contrast suddenly goes from dimmer to brighter, it's only last for a second or so but it's distracting and I didn't note that before... I'm using firmware 4.31.20 and expert bright with oled light at 52, contrast 85, brightness 50 all without motion enhancement or other video processing.

Is that the ABL everyone talks about? I think is something like when you pause for a while and it kicks the auto dimmer for screen protection and when you restart the picture it brings back to normal, is that kind of effect... but with the movie or show playing at a dark scene for a while, not paused. Sorry for the English...
post #17864 of 28166 Old 05-24-2017, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
My TV just arrived, but I'm home alone, so I may need to wait for someone else to get here to help me assemble and move the TV. Or is it doable solo for the 55" C6?

I solo'ed my 65". However, if you are feeling a bit reserved, then best just wait.

LG OLED65C6P ISF Calibrated by David Abrams @ Avical
Marantz AV8801 / D-Sonic M2500 / Oppo UDP-203
GR Research LS-9 / GR Research X-Voce / GR Research AV-1RS / Oppo PM-1
post #17865 of 28166 Old 05-24-2017, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulisescm View Post
Hello I'm a b6 owner since last December, recently I've noticed something weird watching GOT season 5 Blu-ray, for the example in episode 8 at 39:54 when a very dark scene is playing for a while and suddenly appears a bright one like snow or mostly white it's like if the contrast suddenly goes from dimmer to brighter, it's only last for a second or so but it's distracting and I didn't note that before... I'm using firmware 4.31.20 and expert bright with oled light at 52, contrast 85, brightness 50 all without motion enhancement or other video processing.

Is that the ABL everyone talks about? I think is something like when you pause for a while and it kicks the auto dimmer for screen protection and when you restart the picture it brings back to normal, is that kind of effect... but with the movie or show playing at a dark scene for a while, not paused. Sorry for the English...
Difficult to say for sure based on your description, but it might be. ABL is essentially a feature designed to make sure the TV doesn't use too much power, so if the brightness of the scene requires too much power to display at your TV's current settings, then the TV will dim it to reduce power usage. I can't imaging ABL should be triggering in SDR content though, unless the TV is set up to be way too bright or something.

post #17866 of 28166 Old 05-24-2017, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulisescm View Post

Its the ASBL that dims the screen for you when you walk away with the tv paused after a minute or so. On some dark scenes that last for a while it can get engaged. Here's where you can learn about turning it off if you are noticing it getting in the way of your movies https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...g-oled-tv.html
post #17867 of 28166 Old 05-24-2017, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
My man... Great news. Happy for you that its finally in your possession!

There are plenty of members here that will tell you no problem... they installed their TV without any help. Yes, if you have absolutely no one to ask, no family members etc, and you are careful, it can be done but the size and weight distribution of the set make it awkward at best. The biggest problem is picking it up "without" wrapping your hands around the panel or putting any pressure on any part of the glass screen.

That said, you should have no problem unboxing it so you can check it out and look for any obvious shipping damage. Laying it down or lifting it into position is where you can get into trouble if it gets away from you. I'm sure you've already checked out unboxing videos on youtube...but just in case you might want to check out a couple of these videos while you wait for assistance.. or decide to go it alone.

In any case... don't let this happen to you!

Last edited by Elton Noway; 05-24-2017 at 09:29 AM.
post #17868 of 28166 Old 05-24-2017, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:

Personally, I'd wait until someone is there to help you. These TV's are rather fragile and can even be easily "bent" if you are not careful. Much less risk of something going wrong if you have someone to help you.

Sent from my Hi10 pro using Tapatalk
post #17869 of 28166 Old 05-24-2017, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Someone will be home in ~4 hours that can help. I solo'd my 50" plasma, but I had help with my 65" LED because Amazon sent a guy for that. Still ill probably wait. I do still have to move the plasma off my TV stand in the bedroom to make room, and clear a spot for it as well that will hold it temporarily until we move in a couple months. So I can work on that while I wait. Yeah I've watched some unboxings so I know how it's packed and everything, but I still wasn't sure if it was safe to do alone. That guy in the video posted above was an idiot though lol, I kept expecting the TV to fall out of the plastic cover the way he was holding it.

post #17870 of 28166 Old 05-24-2017, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post
I read the reason, and it's total marketing bs.

Looking at the B/W version for a second tells you it's just drained, not even contrast adjusted just color at zero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aetherhole View Post
I can't see how you can come to that conclusion of it being "total marketing bs." It's not as if they are selling this as a separate product (I'm looking at you MM: Black and Chrome). Even the limited release in the theater isn't wide enough to be making money, I would guess. This is a fan-service bonus that they decided to include.

As far as the "drained" comment, I will have to see for myself and report back. I'm curious, did you go back to the original release and reduce color to zero and compare the two? That would certainly support your claim.

I will probably do that for myself in the next couple days to see.
As a follow-up to this I did some testing back and forth yesterday. I spent the good part of about two hours yesterday comparing. My method of testing was: I watched sequences on the Noir version yesterday and compared it to the same sequences on the regular version, but with color reduced to zero. I checked the scenes, went back to the Noir disc, then back to the normal version sans color.

What I found was that they are NOT the same. Consistently what I observed with the normal version with color reduced was that contrast was more pronounced. Some shadows made it harder to show as much detail. There was one particular scene I can describe. After Logan, Laura, Xavier help the Munson family gather up their horses, Dr. Rice talks to Caliban in the back of a trailer. During that scene, there are several instances where Caliban’s eyes are less visible due to shadowing. The same goes for Dr. Rice’s facial features. There seems to be more shadows and slightly darker. Then in the very next scene at the Munson’s home while the family, Logan, Xavier, and Laura are eating, the whole scene seemed pretty dark.

On the Noir version, that same sequence, Dr. Rice’s face is slightly less contrasted, Caliban’s eyes are more visible. It also appeared to have slight more midrange emphasis. In the dinner scene, the scene was a bit “brighter” than the color version, also likely due to more mid-level emphasis. All other scenes I tested showed similar results. So it definitely looks like more time was put into it over just simply draining the color.

As an aside, watching the black and white version actually surprised me on my TV’s grayscale. It wasn’t as bad as I thought. There’s still some emphasis on green in the lower ire, but not as bad as it was a few months ago. I will still hold off until after I get my set calibrated to watch the whole Noir version in its entirety.

LG OLED65C6P ISF Calibrated by David Abrams @ Avical
Marantz AV8801 / D-Sonic M2500 / Oppo UDP-203
GR Research LS-9 / GR Research X-Voce / GR Research AV-1RS / Oppo PM-1
post #17871 of 28166 Old 05-24-2017, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
until we move in a couple months.
If you're moving soon, be sure to keep the box and packing materials (maybe take pics too for how they go together). No better/safer way to move it than the way the manufacturer designed.

BTW, I agree with the others, these are way too slim to manhandle around by yourself. You don't want to see shady screen anomalies later and wonder if you caused them by bending or putting excess pressure on the screen by moving it alone.

OLED55E6P (609 build)
Denon X2400H
KEF Q100 L/R/C, SVS SB12-NSD
XB1S, Roku Ultra
post #17872 of 28166 Old 05-24-2017, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mttpalmer View Post
If you're moving soon, be sure to keep the box and packing materials (maybe take pics too for how they go together). No better/safer way to move it than the way the manufacturer designed.

BTW, I agree with the others, these are way too slim to manhandle around by yourself. You don't want to see shady screen anomalies later and wonder if you caused them by bending or putting excess pressure on the screen by moving it alone.
Definitely keeping the box. May even try to use it to carry my plasma too after I move the C6. Heck, the shipping box that came around the LG box may even be big enough to move my 65" 930d in.

Yeah I'll be waiting to unpack this until someone gets here.

post #17873 of 28166 Old 05-24-2017, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Difficult to say for sure based on your description, but it might be. ABL is essentially a feature designed to make sure the TV doesn't use too much power, so if the brightness of the scene requires too much power to display at your TV's current settings, then the TV will dim it to reduce power usage. I can't imaging ABL should be triggering in SDR content though, unless the TV is set up to be way too bright or something.

My C6 was bigger than I thought
I recommend you to watch the video Elton sent you
And do exactly as they do...
Also have someone you can trust and is attentive unpack the TV with you... not someone that is not careful

Let's go OLED and never go back LCD!
Proud LG C6 owner.
post #17874 of 28166 Old 05-24-2017, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clement Afficial View Post
My C6 was bigger than I thought
I recommend you to watch the video Elton sent you
And do exactly as they do...
Also have someone you can trust and is attentive unpack the TV with you... not someone that is not careful
Will do

post #17875 of 28166 Old 05-24-2017, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Will do
After you watched some content, let us know what you think of this TV!!!!
You were writing a lot about how HDR is so bad with lower nits... my guess is you will be surprised but who knows..
Oh and don't judge the TV too fast, go find some good settings on rtings, also an Oled need like 200 hours before it looks much better
I am still in my early hours, but I love the TV!! Best TV I ever seen.

Let's go OLED and never go back LCD!
Proud LG C6 owner.
post #17876 of 28166 Old 05-24-2017, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Definitely keeping the box. May even try to use it to carry my plasma too after I move the C6. Heck, the shipping box that came around the LG box may even be big enough to move my 65" 930d in.

Yeah I'll be waiting to unpack this until someone gets here.

Yes... If you're moving, you'll definitely want to keep the box exclusively for the C6. The Styrofoam inserts are form fitted to the curve of the screen and keep it well secured. Bubble wrap and use the outer shipping box for the plasma...
post #17877 of 28166 Old 05-24-2017, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Just got by B6 (at a very reasonable price), I had a nightmare with a Vizio P55 (three exchanges) due to DSE/Banding. Really loving the picture quality and no DSE....yey!

I have a question regarding motion settings. I have been playing around but cant quite find a setting that I am happy with.

Without any motion settings there is visible judder on all inputs, but enabling judder settings I am often seeing artifacts on the screen. I am not seeing any change when changing the de-blur setting either. So, I am now stuck with either slight judder or artifacts!

I have the latest firmware installed.
post #17878 of 28166 Old 05-24-2017, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clement Afficial View Post
After you watched some content, let us know what you think of this TV!!!!
You were writing a lot about how HDR is so bad with lower nits... my guess is you will be surprised but who knows..
Oh and don't judge the TV too fast, go find some good settings on rtings, also an Oled need like 200 hours before it looks much better
I am still in my early hours, but I love the TV!! Best TV I ever seen.
I never meant to say it was "bad", just not as much dynamic range as the higher nit sets, and I prefer higher dynamic range for HDR content (lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC1963 View Post
Yes... If you're moving, you'll definitely want to keep the box exclusively for the C6. The Styrofoam inserts are form fitted to the curve of the screen and keep it well secured. Bubble wrap and use the outer shipping box for the plasma...
Yeah I may do that, even though the plasma would probably fit in the LG box without those inserts. I was planning to make multiple trips, so trip 1, bring the LG in its own box, then bring that box back and put the plasma in, etc, but we'll see what works best. I do need to bring my bigger 65" LED as well, which I'm even more concerned about as it's about 100lbs, but that's probably going to need to go with the actual moving truck, whereas the smaller ones might be able to fit in one of our cars, depending on the size of the box we use.

Yeah we just won a bid on a house, and I was considering waiting to buy the TV until after the move, but I got a little paranoid about the stock potentially running out or the prices increasing, and I got a killer deal on a new set, so I had to grab it.

post #17879 of 28166 Old 05-24-2017, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonclarkccnp View Post
Just got by B6 (at a very reasonable price), I had a nightmare with a Vizio P55 (three exchanges) due to DSE/Banding. Really loving the picture quality and no DSE....yey!

I have a question regarding motion settings. I have been playing around but cant quite find a setting that I am happy with.

Without any motion settings there is visible judder on all inputs, but enabling judder settings I am often seeing artifacts on the screen. I am not seeing any change when changing the de-blur setting either. So, I am now stuck with either slight judder or artifacts!

Try De-Judder 2 and De-Blur 0.
Superman23 likes this.
post #17880 of 28166 Old 05-24-2017, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 940 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonclarkccnp View Post

Try Tru Motion User DJ2 and DB0. That's what everyone has been loving on these B6's. @Quebecker spent a lot of time figuring out these settings. Try them and let us know what you think!
Quebecker likes this.

LG OLED 65B6P
Panasonic VIERA TC-P65VT30
OPPO UDP-203 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray Player
Sony PlayStation 4 Pro
Nintendo Switch
Sony PlayStation 3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
arc , C6-B6 , calibration , computer , desktop , firmware update , lg c6 pc sdr hdr , lg oled , monitor , oled , oled b6 , oled lg , screen damage , screen uniformity , settings , soundbar , there is sig

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page