2016 LG C6-B6 owners thread - Page 625 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 264378Likes

post #18721 of 28698 Old 06-07-2017, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Does anyone know if there will be future firmware updates for the B6?

Last version appears to be January
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18722 of 28698 Old 06-07-2017, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonclarkccnp View Post

Last is dated 05/11/2017, version 04.31.20 which was cumulative and came via WiFi. Check for updates in Settings > General. Might take a few attempts if servers are busy...

55B6P
post #18723 of 28698 Old 06-07-2017, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
I'm stuck out of town until Saturday

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Ouch. I'm sorry. I'll watch them in the next couple days and smile (probably) extra for you then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TetraVaal View Post
It's going to blow you away.

The actual UHD disc version of Dolby Vision is hands down the best HDR content you can feed an LG OLED.

Even the best encodes on Vudu and Netflix still can't quite match how good DV looks on disc format.
Nice Tetra! This is what I like to hear! I figured that the benefits of DV would be appreciable on our "Dim" OLEDs , so I am really eager for Sony to get their act together and enable it for their TVs so we can see if and/or how much difference DV makes for their Z9D.

LG OLED65C6P ISF Calibrated by David Abrams @ Avical
Marantz AV8801 / D-Sonic M2500 / Oppo UDP-203
GR Research LS-9 / GR Research X-Voce / GR Research AV-1RS / Oppo PM-1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18724 of 28698 Old 06-07-2017, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Last Night I updated the firmware on my Oppo and popped in Despicable Me 2. I was absolutely floored at the depth of detail that Dolby Vision brings. Last time I felt like this was when I watched Planet Earth 2 for the first time. One thing I noticed is the settings I set with UHD HDR10 is different when the tv goes into DV picture mode. I'm happy with the default DV settings my LG C6 goes into. However, is there any other settings I should change e.g. motion... or should I leave everything with the LG default DV settings? Thanks.

LG C6 / LG SJ8 / Oppo 203 / Sony PS4
post #18725 of 28698 Old 06-07-2017, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDog151 View Post
Last Night I updated the firmware on my Oppo and popped in Despicable Me 2. I was absolutely floored at the depth of detail that Dolby Vision brings. Last time I felt like this was when I watched Planet Earth 2 for the first time. One thing I noticed is the settings I set with UHD HDR10 is different when the tv goes into DV picture mode. I'm happy with the default DV settings my LG C6 goes into. However, is there any other settings I should change e.g. motion... or should I leave everything with the LG default DV settings? Thanks.
Yes, you should change motion settings to suit your preference. All the extra settings should be turned off, like edge enhancement, dynamic contrast, etc. or turned to how you prefer the image. If I'm not mistaken, the default True Motion setting is set to "Clear," which pretty much no one here likes...

The OLED Light, Contrast, Brightness, Colors, Sharpness settings all in the main settings menu pretty much can be left alone.
DevilDog151 and Quebecker like this.

post #18726 of 28698 Old 06-07-2017, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 940 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDog151 View Post
@wxman advised me the other day to make sure you set your oppo 203 to 4:2:2 12 bit instead of 4:4:4 12 bit as 4:4:4 produces banding with UHD movies on our LG OLEDs. This topic was being discussed over in the 2016 LG OLED Motion Settings thread.
Aetherhole and DevilDog151 like this.

LG OLED 65B6P
Panasonic VIERA TC-P65VT30
OPPO UDP-203 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray Player
Sony PlayStation 4 Pro
Nintendo Switch
Sony PlayStation 3

Last edited by Superman23; 06-07-2017 at 07:59 PM.
post #18727 of 28698 Old 06-07-2017, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 50
nvm
post #18728 of 28698 Old 06-07-2017, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:

Actually... there have been updates every month since January. I do all my updates via USB. As a result, by default... it provides me with a record of all the downloads I've taken from the LG B6 Software, Firmware, & Drivers web page. FYI: The dates shown represents the date I downloaded the update, not the date it was released.

post #18729 of 28698 Old 06-08-2017, 12:17 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elton Noway View Post
In regards to voiding your warranty... As far as I know there aren't any VOID seals on these LG OLED's, i.e., seals that need to be broken to access the components (at least there weren't any on my B6 ) Whenever I suggest opening a TV, receiver, computer, etc in a repair attempt... I like to add the warning to my posts as a disclaimer, if nothing else to dissuade a well meaning individual from butchering or destroying a product that could still be repaired under warranty. As you might guess, some well meaning owners are eager to try... but they don't know the difference between a Phillips screw and a Torx and chew the hardware up so bad any authorized technician would be able to identify the set had been tampered with. That said... based on your comment "I've taken apart many electronic items over the years" and if you have all the proper tools... removing the back cover is actually pretty easy.

In the meantime (and before a disassembly attempt) I thought of a couple more things to try. This first one is a long shot attempt but what the heck:
1) Connect your TV to your network via a "Wired" connection and leave it connected.
2) Go to the LG settings menu on your TV and make sure it shows "Wired Connection Ethernet - Connected"
3) Go the LG General Setting menu and "turn off" quick start.
4) Turn off your TV, then unplug the power cord for at least a minute.
5) Power down your network router (to prevent your C6 from connecting or making a WiFi connection attempt)
6) Plug your TV back in and power it up.
7) Power your router back up
(The idea is... with quick start turned off its possible your set may not attempt to connect via WiFi if it first detects the wired connection

If that didn't fix the issue... another thing to try would be a Factory Reset. Why? - When these sets are powered on, new out of the box, LG takes you though the initial setup. At one point you are asked if you will connect the network via Wired or WiFi. If you select WiFi and have a secure network you are prompted for the password. With earlier LG TVs, through 2014 anyway... if you selected Wired during the initial setup... it stopped the WiFi connection attempt! ( the wireless circuit was not turned on.) What I don't know, is what options are offered to the user after selecting "factory reset" from the user settings menu. I'm not sure if it takes you through the entire setup again but am hoping you will be prompted to select your network type again. (NOTE: Be sure to record your color, brightness, contrast, settings etc, before doing the reset)

Justification for the above "Reset" approach? - What I can tell you for a fact is... I just conducted a test.
When I first installed my B6... I was hard wired and selected Wired. Today... if go into Network settings it shows Wired Connection (Etherenet) - Connected... and WiFi Connection - Not Connected. So... as a test 10 minutes ago, I unplugged the wired connection to my set. Then when I checked the menu both Wired and WiFi show - Not Connected. I then clicked on WiFi Connection... and it said "No Networks Available... even though I have a very strong Wifi signal via my NetGear dualband R7000. (This is in addition three other networks belonging to my neighbors WiFI devices always pick up.) To me this indicates my B6 is not polling... just like the 2014 sets selecting Wired during the initial setup seems to disable / turn off the WiFi circuit. This in fact may be how Hotels avoid having it turned on!

In regards to your questions about the service menu and hotel settings and the locations of the Bluetooth receiver and a simple IR receiver... give me 10 minutes or so and I'll be sending you a PM with more information.
Thank you for the great suggestions!!! I will try all of them and let you know what happens.... Again, many thanks!
post #18730 of 28698 Old 06-08-2017, 05:11 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm receiving new c6 65" soon. What are the common problems with these panels to check?
post #18731 of 28698 Old 06-08-2017, 05:31 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I am having a hard time finding a good setting for PC gaming on Windows 10 Creators, with Nvidia 382.33 drivers.

I have tried 422 10bpc, RGB Full 8bpc, TV Black Level High, Black Level Low. Either I get crushed blacks or a washed out picture.

What is suppose to be the best settings for PC gaming on Windows 10 creators with the E6?
post #18732 of 28698 Old 06-08-2017, 05:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by narrn001 View Post
I am having a hard time finding a good setting for PC gaming on Windows 10 Creators, with Nvidia 382.33 drivers.

I have tried 422 10bpc, RGB Full 8bpc, TV Black Level High, Black Level Low. Either I get crushed blacks or a washed out picture.

What is suppose to be the best settings for PC gaming on Windows 10 creators with the E6?
@Quebecker is the expert on PC settings so hopefully he'll chime in and help you out here.

LG OLED 65B6P
Sony PlayStation 4 Pro
Nintendo Switch
Sony PlayStation 3
post #18733 of 28698 Old 06-08-2017, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Here's a good place to start for black levels - even if you aren't using Kodi.
NVIDIA drivers had an issue which has been cleared up recently.

http://kodi.wiki/view/video_levels_and_color_space
Superman23 likes this.
post #18734 of 28698 Old 06-08-2017, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

As to your Operating System, (be it Windows 10 Home, Win 10 Pro, or Windows 10 Creator) I don't believe it makes any difference in relation to your TV settings or its picture quality.

The advice from AndrewS99 on tweaking you black levels is solid advice!

As good settings for PC gaming... another member asked a similar question a week ago. Below is the exchange. I'm sure Quebecker will jump in if he has anything to add.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebecker View Post
... [snip]... if 4:4:4 is more raw than 4:2:0, why is it LG OLED can only fully reproduce it in PC Mode. [snip]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
LG can accept 4:4:4 only when you send 60p signal, with 24p signal it makes no difference having PC icon enabled.

You can see that if you have some custom settings using 24p signal (with PC icon active), when you will send 60p signal the settings will go back to default ones (so need another set of settings for 60p input).
Quote:
Originally Posted by polorsport View Post
Could someone please post there HDR Game settings that games on PC?
[snip]... I am looking for settings on the TV. As I will be using it as a monitor. I assume I should just use 3840x2160 (native) as my resolution.

And YCbCr444 as the color the output color format. Correct? I have my pc, and tv connected via a receiver.
Quote:
Well there's no specific setting on the TV. Use what you like. Most setting are disabled anyway. The advice the PS4 pro owner give you should be the same for the PC.

For the PC and HDR, use 4:2:2 12 bits at 60hz.

Also do you have a B6 or a C6. PC mode on the B6 has high input lag but it's ok on the C6. If input lag is important for you and you have the B6, don't use PC mode, it's not worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
Hi, go to your LG input menu and change the icon of your HDMI input to PC, to be able to receive 4:4:4 @ 2160p60 8bit. Also enable Deep Color for that HDMI, which will change it's pixel clock rate of video transfer data to 600MHz (HDMI 2.0a) to able to accept the 17.82 Gbps of transmission bandwidth which [email protected]:4:4 8bit will send.
Quote:
He want HDR, he will want to use 12bits for that, no need for 4:4:4
post #18735 of 28698 Old 06-08-2017, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7615 Post(s)
Liked: 7681
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacabonos View Post
I'm receiving new c6 65" soon. What are the common problems with these panels to check?
common would happen often like lets say 20% of the time. There is nothing common to check for with that ratio. Enjoy your new set, don't analyze it, if you see a problem then look into it
mttpalmer and richlife like this.
post #18736 of 28698 Old 06-08-2017, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
common would happen often like lets say 20% of the time. There is nothing common to check for with that ratio. Enjoy your new set, don't analyze it, if you see a problem then look into it
Thanks Chris you're always helpful this is a good advice but I was looking for some sort of checklist (dead pixels, screen burn test, etc.)
post #18737 of 28698 Old 06-08-2017, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elton Noway View Post
Actually... there have been updates every month since January. I do all my updates via USB. As a result, by default... it provides me with a record of all the downloads I've taken from the LG B6 Software, Firmware, & Drivers web page. FYI: The dates shown represents the date I downloaded the update, not the date it was released.

Ugh....yes you are right of course. I initially searched for B6 on the LG site, and it took me to the firmware listings for 55LB6000, which showed the last firmware release was January

After adding the correct code of OLED55B6P, I can now see the latest release was in May.

Thanks for pointing this out, its a great relief knowing that LG are still providing firmware updates for my B6!
post #18738 of 28698 Old 06-08-2017, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 1071
Quote:
Ugh....yes you are right of course. I initially searched for B6 on the LG site, and it took me to the firmware listings for 55LB6000, which showed the last firmware release was January

After adding the correct code of OLED55B6P, I can now see the latest release was in May.

Thanks for pointing this out, its a great relief knowing that LG are still providing firmware updates for my B6!
I think you can expect firmware for maybe another year. LG already said that they will provide a firmware update for HLG (basically that's HDR over-the-air -- antenna).
Superman23 and jonclarkccnp like this.

Atmos/DTS:X HT in Vaulted Room -- LG OLED Settings Options
Yamaha RX-A3060: 7.2.4 or 7.2.2 + Zone2 (switchable); OPPO 203; LG OLED65B6P; Harmony 650 & Home Hub
Base: Mirage OM-6 (FLR), MC-si (C), OM-R2 (SLR), FRx-nine (BLR)
Presence: ELAC A4s (FP), RSL C34Es (RP); 2 aci Titan subs; RP amp: AudioSource AMP100VS
post #18739 of 28698 Old 06-08-2017, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked: 679
Quote:

Are you talking about HDR gaming or SDR games?
post #18740 of 28698 Old 06-08-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:

Just run the "slides". 5%, 10%, 100% and all 100% colors.

But be warned: some problems that are visible on the slides are not visible on normal content unless you look for them. And if you see problems on the slides you will always look for them in normal content, knowing they are there.

So if you want to keep the set don't insist too much, run the 100% colors slides and check for dead pixels. the gray slides will always show imperfections so maybe it's better not to run them. Cannot un-see what have been seen.

If you got it from a local store and replacement is possible then ... your choice with the gray slides
sacabonos likes this.

Last edited by astateofmind; 06-08-2017 at 09:20 AM.
post #18741 of 28698 Old 06-08-2017, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Thanks Chris you're always helpful this is a good advice but I was looking for some sort of checklist (dead pixels, screen burn test, etc.)
In my opinion, just watch normal content. Don't go looking for issues with slides. If you can't see any issues with normal content, that it's not really a true "problem" (in my opinion).

As others have stated - sometimes, you're better off not looking for issues that you can't see otherwise....

Sent from my Hi10 pro using Tapatalk
post #18742 of 28698 Old 06-08-2017, 09:25 AM

The 100% color slides are ok, i would even say that are a must as a dead pixel or BI check (although BI on a new set?? )
post #18743 of 28698 Old 06-08-2017, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by richlife View Post
I think you can expect firmware for maybe another year. LG already said that they will provide a firmware update for HLG (basically that's HDR over-the-air -- antenna).
Do you have a source on this statement? I've only seen a comment by a rep saying that it was possible they would update 2016 models to support additional hdr formats. I've seen no commitment to doing so.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

LG OLED65C, Sony 940e, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Oppo 203, Denon AVR-X4200, SVS SB-2000 (x2), SVS Prime Tower (x2), SVS Prime Satellite (x2), SVS Prime Center
post #18744 of 28698 Old 06-08-2017, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Man, you guys really need to see Despicable Me 1 (and assuming #2) on DV Disc.

Amazingly beautiful. Our TVs hardly ever look better than with these titles.

Can't wait until Power Rangers comes out (did I just say that?!)...
Tom C and Superman23 like this.

post #18745 of 28698 Old 06-08-2017, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aetherhole View Post
Man, you guys really need to see Despicable Me 1 (and assuming #2) on DV Disc.

Amazingly beautiful. Our TVs hardly ever look better than with these titles.

Can't wait until Power Rangers comes out (did I just say that?!)...
LOL! I can't wait! Just got the green light from the wife to get the oppo 203! Despicable movies will definitely be on my list first!
Aetherhole likes this.

LG OLED 65B6P
Sony PlayStation 4 Pro
Nintendo Switch
Sony PlayStation 3
post #18746 of 28698 Old 06-08-2017, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman23 View Post
Just got the green light from the wife
Phew, finally!

LG OLED55C7P • Denon AVR-X6400H • NAD Masters Series M22 • MartinLogan Motion 40 Towers, Motion 30 Center, Motion LX16 Surrounds, Dynamo 700W Sub • OPPO UDP-203 • Xbox One X • PS4 Pro
post #18747 of 28698 Old 06-08-2017, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adcustom View Post
Phew, finally!
Sometimes I need approval for the big purchases. LOL!
mttpalmer likes this.

LG OLED 65B6P
Sony PlayStation 4 Pro
Nintendo Switch
Sony PlayStation 3
post #18748 of 28698 Old 06-08-2017, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Oh, I know that all too well, Supes.
Superman23 likes this.

LG OLED55C7P • Denon AVR-X6400H • NAD Masters Series M22 • MartinLogan Motion 40 Towers, Motion 30 Center, Motion LX16 Surrounds, Dynamo 700W Sub • OPPO UDP-203 • Xbox One X • PS4 Pro
post #18749 of 28698 Old 06-08-2017, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 1071
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronTV View Post
Do you have a source on this statement? I've only seen a comment by a rep saying that it was possible they would update 2016 models to support additional hdr formats. I've seen no commitment to doing so.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Likely the same "source" you saw -- an interview with a senior UK exec. And his statement had no "it was possible" associated. Did he speak out of place and will it happen? We'll eventually find out.

IMO (and in no way am I able to speak for LG), HLG is a gimme if it's finalized this year. Enabling 4K HDR via OTA is basically a next step for broadcast TV. For much of the world, broadcast IS tv which is why BBC and NHK partnered in its development. So I continue to buy into HLG being provided until proven otherwise.

Atmos/DTS:X HT in Vaulted Room -- LG OLED Settings Options
Yamaha RX-A3060: 7.2.4 or 7.2.2 + Zone2 (switchable); OPPO 203; LG OLED65B6P; Harmony 650 & Home Hub
Base: Mirage OM-6 (FLR), MC-si (C), OM-R2 (SLR), FRx-nine (BLR)
Presence: ELAC A4s (FP), RSL C34Es (RP); 2 aci Titan subs; RP amp: AudioSource AMP100VS
post #18750 of 28698 Old 06-08-2017, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman23 View Post
[snip]... Just got the green light from the wife to get the oppo 203! Despicable movies will definitely be on my list first!
I've also have my eye on the Oppo UDP-203. Whats crazy are the pricing disparities. Since I got serious and started looking back in February I've seen it priced as low as $499 and as high as $1698. For the most part the units with the higher price tags claim to support all All Zones, all Regions.

Also... I just checked out a leading retail website to see what they currently have it priced at... (approx $600 US) and noticed in the specifications fine print, it states: the UDP-203 does not support video streaming apps like Netflix, Amazon Instant, Hulu, or YouTube! Is that rumored to be coming via an update?

At one time I had my eye on the LG UP970. They were the first to advertise a 4K Blu ray player with DV capability (via a "future" firmware update). As of today... still no official word from LG on status. In the meantime OPPO rolls out their DV update for the 203. Man... LG really dropped the ball on this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
arc , C6-B6 , calibration , computer , desktop , firmware update , lg c6 pc sdr hdr , lg oled , monitor , oled , oled b6 , oled lg , screen damage , screen uniformity , settings , soundbar , there is sig

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page