2016 LG C6-B6 owners thread - Page 657 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 264237Likes

post #19681 of 28294 Old 06-29-2017, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sechev00 View Post
Pretty much. When you start up an HDR enabled game the TV automatically will only let you select between the HDR modes that are available. So ISF Bright, Dark, etc. all disappear and you can't select those. When Dolby Vision kicks in, you have the options to choose between several Dolby Vision modes as well. Right now, both Xbox and PS4 don't offer any sort of Dolby Vision support.
Thank you so much! you answered all my questions. makes sense now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19682 of 28294 Old 06-29-2017, 08:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 28
The B6 65" model no longer in stock on Best Buy's website. I'm guessing we are getting close to the end of the line on this model's availability.
post #19683 of 28294 Old 06-29-2017, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 2
need some tips reducing ABL. i dont mind ASBL, where it dims after a minute.

when i game on my c6p its most noticable. i will play ghost recon wildlands and when i look from the sky to the ground it takes a solid second to brighten back up. same if i go from outside into a building. its very distracting.

i know i cannot disable it completely. but are their settings where its not as drastic of a change or least likely to happen at all (specifically in game mode)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19684 of 28294 Old 06-29-2017, 10:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2374 Post(s)
Liked: 1960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Rios View Post

when i game on my c6p its most noticable. i will play ghost recon wildlands and when i look from the sky to the ground it takes a solid second to brighten back up. same if i go from outside into a building. its very distracting.

i know i cannot disable it completely. but are their settings where its not as drastic of a change or least likely to happen at all (specifically in game mode)?
If it's taking a second to brighten up, that's not ABL, that's likely the game's built-in automatic exposure, darkening or lightening the image based on the average brightness of what's on screen, just like your eyes or your phone camera will do.

As far as I'm aware, ABL is instantaneous, per refresh, not smoothed out over several frames.
woods3336, nodixe and Quebecker like this.

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HTCT780, Base PS4, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Sony UBP-X700, Atomos Ninja Inferno
Check out my video game movie edits
post #19685 of 28294 Old 06-30-2017, 02:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 45
A while ago i read a very positive comment, not sure if it was here, about Breaking Bad in 4K Netflix on an OLED. Sadly i'm gonna have to say i completely disagree with that. I've checked this amazing show out on my 65B6 and i don't like how it looks at all. It shows grain and overall it just doesn't look all that pleasant to look at. Take Better Call Saul for example, a much cleaner look. It's not the TV because i checked it out on my Surface Pro as well and while it's of course not as easy to notice on a 10 inch screen i can still see this show really doesn't have the clean and crisp look of many other shows. Too bad.

And this was at a viewing distance of 3 to 4 meters, let alone how it looks when it's only 2 meters. Super resolution is off, sharpness is at 10.
post #19686 of 28294 Old 06-30-2017, 05:10 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Rios View Post

Like morphi said, it's a game feature aka auto-adjust exposure .Most game have that now.

It was Half life 2 Lost coast that first introduced it in its HDR packaging. Back in the day it was such a cool feature.
morphinapg likes this.
post #19687 of 28294 Old 06-30-2017, 05:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamvernia View Post
Wait, so it's only the B6 with the dim HDR Game mode? Damn. Wish I had gone C6 when I had the chance (even with the added input lag)!

Also, I didn't realize the C7 had the same wide color issue. I guess there is still hope for both, then!
Damn, i had no idea either. I haven't been able to try out HDR Game mode yet because i don't have Xbox One S or the PS4 Pro, but i thought the other HDR modes looked fine in terms of how bright they are. I love a very bright picture and i'm not happy to read about a dim picture with HDR Game mode, especially when that is the place for the low input lag. Now on another forum they DO recommend to just up the game's brightness and this should fix a lot, but i doubt you get it looking like if HDR Game mode wasn't so dimming.

If you start a petition i will definitely sign it and post it on other forums too.

Last edited by Moonwalker1982; 06-30-2017 at 05:57 AM.
post #19688 of 28294 Old 06-30-2017, 07:23 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
I'll be honest - I have well over 3000 hours on my 65" B6 and I've never had a single issue with Netflix... That being said, Netflix is the only app I use - I never use YouTube (or any other app for that matter)...

Sent from my Hi10 pro using Tapatalk
We do need a Twitch app
post #19689 of 28294 Old 06-30-2017, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebecker View Post
I knew I was not crazy.

So only the B6 have a dimm Game Mode.
Quote:
I'm starting to regret going for the B6 and not waiting for the 2017 models now. Wide color mode being locked for SDR Game Mode is driving me nuts, and HDR Game Mode is just too dim. I really hope we get this stuff fixed in firmware updates, but unfortunately it seems like not many people are making a big stink over these issues. Any petitions I can sign up for when it comes to these two issues?
About HDR Game mode being dim, are you using a PS4 for gaming?

I found out that there is a bug with the PS4 when it outputs HDR. Even though the PS4 is set to "RGB limited" or "Automatic", it will output "RGB Full Range" when a game goes in HDR mode, producing a really dark picture since the LG OLED is set to Black Level "Low" by default. I had to change my B6 setting to Black Level "High" to get the correct picture.

If you don't use a PS4, then revermind :-) I don't think this bugs occurs with the PS4 Pro nor the Xbox One S.

Last edited by alexend; 06-30-2017 at 07:34 AM.
post #19690 of 28294 Old 06-30-2017, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
3D Blu-ray playback with XB1-S broken with 04.31.00 firmware update

I have an OLED55C6 and recently updated the firmware to 04.31.00. Since then I have been unable to play 3D Blurays from my Xbox One S. It shows the Studio logo, a bit of the loading of the main menu then goes dark. Eventually the TV will report not receiving a signal and begin to display wallpaper (i.e. Flower, Dog, etc.).

While the TV was at 4.30.15 it worked perfectly! It plays everything else just fine such as standard Blu and 4K discs, it's just 3D discs that fail. Apparently something to do with auto-recognition and getting hung-up while switching to 3D mode. Another thing if I disable 3D on the Xbox One S and try to re-enable it the LG OLED is not recognized as a 3D monitor. Screen goes dark and then goes back to XB "Settings" with 3D not ticked off.

Has anyone else experienced this and found a work-around? I hope this is addressed soon! I have been able to get a couple 3D discs to work by attempting to force the main menu to pop up.

Last edited by rserafin; 06-30-2017 at 07:52 AM.
post #19691 of 28294 Old 06-30-2017, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 7378 Post(s)
Liked: 8256
DV vs HDR10- What's up with this?

I conducted an interesting experiment. I noticed that the HDR10 presentation of Bosch on my Sony 940c looked like many HDR10 presentations. That is highlights were over the top. However watching the DV version of Bosch on my B6 presented a very different image. Although highlights were far better and far more convincing as compared to 'real life', low lit scenes were too saturated and too grainy. These scenes looked like they came from a bad cable program.

I compared these identical low light scenes with Bosch on the Sony and the B6, and they were better on the Sony's HDR10 version. I wanted to rule out the display factor vs the DV/HDR10 factor. Which was to blame? So rather than using the LG Amazon's DV app, I used the Amazon app on my Samsung UHD BluRay player that's connected to my B6 to watch the same scenes. Since the Samsung doesn't have DV and only HDR10, this would make the source material apples to apples in terms of the Sony vs the B6. Both would now be HDR10 presentations. Watching the HDR10 low light scenes on the B6, color and noise were essentially identical to what I was seeing on the Sony.

So the culprit seems to be the DV presentation, at least as it relates to Bosch.

Has anyone seen this kind of issue? I was really surprised by it, given how good highlights looked in the Bosch DV presentation.
post #19692 of 28294 Old 06-30-2017, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Ok I have started the petition to LG to unlock the "Wide" Color Gamut for SDR Game Mode. Please sign it and hopefully they will listen to us!

https://www.change.org/p/lg-electron...edium=copyLink

Thank you to everyone who does sign it!
Ricker62 likes this.
post #19693 of 28294 Old 06-30-2017, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiSA88 View Post
We do need a Twitch app
And an HBO Now app.

TiSA88 likes this.
post #19694 of 28294 Old 06-30-2017, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
I conducted an interesting experiment. I noticed that the HDR10 presentation of Bosch on my Sony 940c looked like many HDR10 presentations. That is highlights were over the top. However watching the DV version of Bosch on my B6 presented a very different image. Although highlights were far better and far more convincing as compared to 'real life', low lit scenes were too saturated and too grainy. These scenes looked like they came from a bad cable program.

I compared these identical low light scenes with Bosch on the Sony and the B6, and they were better on the Sony's HDR10 version. I wanted to rule out the display factor vs the DV/HDR10 factor. Which was to blame? So rather than using the LG Amazon's DV app, I used the Amazon app on my Samsung UHD BluRay player that's connected to my B6 to watch the same scenes. Since the Samsung doesn't have DV and only HDR10, this would make the source material apples to apples in terms of the Sony vs the B6. Both would now be HDR10 presentations. Watching the HDR10 low light scenes on the B6, color and noise were essentially identical to what I was seeing on the Sony.

So the culprit seems to be the DV presentation, at least as it relates to Bosch.

Has anyone seen this kind of issue? I was really surprised by it, given how good highlights looked in the Bosch DV presentation.
There's no other way to put this other than the fact that Amazon's 4K encodes are absolute horse ****. Not just for all HDR-based content, but even their non-HDR 4K content is terrible.

I watched 'Elysium', 'Fury', and 'After Earth'--all three DV titles--and the video compression was absolutely unacceptable considering the format.

I then watched a NON-HDR, 4K film, 'The Neon Demon', which they themselves produced, and still noticed terrible compression.

Of all the main companies (Netflix, Vudu, Amazon etc.) that have 4K/HDR-compatible content, Amazon clearly has the worst encodes. By far.
post #19695 of 28294 Old 06-30-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexend View Post
About HDR Game mode being dim, are you using a PS4 for gaming?

I found out that there is a bug with the PS4 when it outputs HDR. Even though the PS4 is set to "RGB limited" or "Automatic", it will output "RGB Full Range" when a game goes in HDR mode, producing a really dark picture since the LG OLED is set to Black Level "Low" by default. I had to change my B6 setting to Black Level "High" to get the correct picture.

If you don't use a PS4, then revermind :-) I don't think this bugs occurs with the PS4 Pro nor the Xbox One S.
From what I've gathered the dim HDR picture in Game Mode occurs on all consoles and PC. It's only Game Mode..other settings are fine.

Last edited by woods3336; 08-03-2017 at 09:39 AM.
post #19696 of 28294 Old 06-30-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TetraVaal View Post
There's no other way to put this other than the fact that Amazon's 4K encodes are absolute horse ****. Not just for all HDR-based content, but even their non-HDR 4K content is terrible.

I watched 'Elysium', 'Fury', and 'After Earth'--all three DV titles--and the video compression was absolutely unacceptable considering the format.

I then watched a NON-HDR, 4K film, 'The Neon Demon', which they themselves produced, and still noticed terrible compression.

Of all the main companies (Netflix, Vudu, Amazon etc.) that have 4K/HDR-compatible content, Amazon clearly has the worst encodes. By far.
I'd generally agree and I'm often surprised by how many people think that Amazon's PQ is better than Netflix. I find the exact opposite.

But with that said, my comparison was the HDR10 version of Bosch to the DV version. There were distinct differences. Highlights were much better in the DV version as expected, but the noise and oversaturation of the DV version was a real surprise.

It may be nothing more than the encoding of the DV version is not done well in regards to low light scenes.
post #19697 of 28294 Old 06-30-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rserafin View Post
I have an OLED55C6 and recently updated the firmware to 04.31.00. Since then I have been unable to play 3D Blurays from my Xbox One S. It shows the Studio logo, a bit of the loading of the main menu then goes dark. Eventually the TV will report not receiving a signal and begin to display wallpaper (i.e. Flower, Dog, etc.).

While the TV was at 4.30.15 it worked perfectly! It plays everything else just fine such as standard Blu and 4K discs, it's just 3D discs that fail. Apparently something to do with auto-recognition and getting hung-up while switching to 3D mode. Another thing if I disable 3D on the Xbox One S and try to re-enable it the LG OLED is not recognized as a 3D monitor. Screen goes dark and then goes back to XB "Settings" with 3D not ticked off.

Has anyone else experienced this and found a work-around? I hope this is addressed soon! I have been able to get a couple 3D discs to work by attempting to force the main menu to pop up.
Change Xbox One S video option from Auto-Detect to HDMI and pick a resolution. Uncheck any boxes (3D, HDR, etc.) it will allow. Now power off both tv and Xbox - if your Xbox is set to instant on unplug it for a few minutes. Power everything back up and switch Xbox back to Auto-Detect. Should refresh the EDID info and you should be good to go.
rserafin likes this.
post #19698 of 28294 Old 06-30-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woods3336 View Post
From what I've gathered the dim HDR picture in Game Mode occurs on all consoles and PC. It's only Game Mode..other settings are fine.

The more I think about it, it's seems the issue started when LG updated the firmware to add Game Mode in HDR while they also stabilized the input lag.

Remember, B6 lag used to fluctuate...~30ish to 50ish ms I think? Well they got it stable to whatever it is now 28ms or so? Dim picture overall the result of this stabilization? If SoC can't keep up with what's on screen for ABL or whatever purposes perhaps just dim it 100% of the time and SoC can therefore get stable low input lag? Don't know...
ok, so it is not the same problem. I mistaken "dim" for "dark" ;-)
post #19699 of 28294 Old 06-30-2017, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Change Xbox One S video option from Auto-Detect to HDMI and pick a resolution. Uncheck any boxes (3D, HDR, etc.) it will allow. Now power off both tv and Xbox - if your Xbox is set to instant on unplug it for a few minutes. Power everything back up and switch Xbox back to Auto-Detect. Should refresh the EDID info and you should be good to go.
I've had the same issue as #rserafin for months with no resolution, even on different firmware versions. Haven't tried this procedure though, so I'll give it a shot. Fingers crossed!

OLED55E6P (609 build)
Denon X2400H
KEF Q100 L/R/C, SVS SB12-NSD
XB1S, Roku Ultra
post #19700 of 28294 Old 06-30-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexend View Post
ok, so it is not the same problem. I mistaken "dim" for "dark" ;-)
Hmm maybe I don't understand what you mean? I take 'dim' and 'dark' to be the same in this case..
post #19701 of 28294 Old 06-30-2017, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Dolby Vision grading monitor are 1080P only. It makes the film grain and noise less noticeable than 4k monitor.

So beginner error was to assume that what they see is what they'll get. HDR in general make grain and noise more apparent.

Look on Netflix most recent movies, they have a near perfect implantation of DV. So, the problem is not DV but it's content related.
Ken Ross and morphinapg like this.
post #19702 of 28294 Old 06-30-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mttpalmer View Post
I've had the same issue as #rserafin for months with no resolution, even on different firmware versions. Haven't tried this procedure though, so I'll give it a shot. Fingers crossed!
Good luck, it worked for me.
mttpalmer likes this.
post #19703 of 28294 Old 06-30-2017, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Ok I have started the petition to LG to unlock the "Wide" Color Gamut for SDR Game Mode. Please sign it and hopefully they will listen to us!

Signed! We need this one!
Ricker62 likes this.
post #19704 of 28294 Old 06-30-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:

Thanks, signed.

There is also another petition for Dolby Atmos support on 2016 models through ARC.

What TV manufacturer needs to understand is that now, more than ever before, a lot of the TV technologies are software driven and they need to be updated for several years, especially when they are "supposed" to support new technologies like HDR. Early adopters thinks they are buying "future proofed" new devices and not even a year later, when the new "yearly" product is annonced, they are talking about new feature, bug fixes or enhancement that are software related.

Other software features that I remember are part of the 2017 OLED and 2016 weren't updated with them:

Dolby Vision Game mode
New tone-mapping algorythm for HDR10
"Active HDR" simulating HDR dynamic meta-data
post #19705 of 28294 Old 06-30-2017, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jond0 View Post
Anyone using the optical out from the LG and getting audio dropouts? I seem to get them most OTA but I also get them in the built in Netflix and Amazon apps. Just a real brief cutout in the audio but video is fine. I only have 2 optical cables atm, both long and one has a kink in it, so before I order another to test I just wonder if anyone else experiences this. Kind of think it started with the last software update but not sure... Tia.
I'm having exactly the same problem with my 55" B6, with optical audio output into an LG soundbar. I stream Amazon Prime a lot, and it's often very prevalent. But, it also occurs with my cable box connected via HDMI, but much less frequently and much shorter audio dropouts. No picture disruption at all in either case.

Preliminary troubleshooting--replacing the optical cable--did not help. I'm real loathe to return the set just to get another with the same problem. But, I'm running out of patience with this problem.

Vizio M70-D3
LG OLED55B6P
Samsung UBD-KM85c 4K Ultra HD Streaming Blu-ray Player
post #19706 of 28294 Old 06-30-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebecker View Post
Dolby Vision grading monitor are 1080P only. It makes the film grain and noise less noticeable than 4k monitor.

So beginner error was to assume that what they see is what they'll get. HDR in general make grain and noise more apparent.

Look on Netflix most recent movies, they have a near perfect implantation of DV. So, the problem is not DV but it's content related.
I'd agree. I've seen a lot of DV content and I've never seen that kind of noise and over saturation in low light scenes with DV. It was just interesting to see the difference since I had ready access to the HDR10 version. This might be the only time I'd go for the HDR10 version over the DV version for low light scenes. But the highlights in the HDR10 version were just as ugly as were the low light scenes in the DV version.
Quebecker likes this.
post #19707 of 28294 Old 06-30-2017, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrys11 View Post
I just noticed something yesterday that I had not seen mentioned here. I was setting up my Amazon Prime info on my new C6 and went to season 2 of Bosch to check it out. I selected the UHD version and when it started, it displayed a DV logo in the upper right hand corner. I was not aware that Amazon was a source for DV material.
I've streamed Bosch, all three seasons.

Season one shows "HDR" (or, HDR10, I forget), but the video quality of this season is just plain awful in dark scenes.

Season two shows "DV" and the HDR processing is really spectacular.

Season three went back to plain HDR for some reason (licensing?) but is still pretty good.

Vizio M70-D3
LG OLED55B6P
Samsung UBD-KM85c 4K Ultra HD Streaming Blu-ray Player
post #19708 of 28294 Old 06-30-2017, 10:37 AM

^ Wish I could agree with you about the 2nd season looking spectacular. Highlights do look excellent, but low lit scenes look spectacularly bad IMO. Noise and over saturation are just plain bad and I've never seen this with other DV shows on this same display.

The HDR10 version of this same show is fine for low lit scenes, but ugly for bright scenes.
post #19709 of 28294 Old 06-30-2017, 10:44 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6787 Post(s)
Liked: 6789
Quote:
I'm starting to regret going for the B6 and not waiting for the 2017 models now. Wide color mode being locked for SDR Game Mode is driving me nuts, and HDR Game Mode is just too dim. I really hope we get this stuff fixed in firmware updates, but unfortunately it seems like not many people are making a big stink over these issues. Any petitions I can sign up for when it comes to these two issues?
Once a model year ends this just becomes less and less of an option.
post #19710 of 28294 Old 06-30-2017, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 201
So I'm racing towards 100 Hours with my C6 and used some calibration suggestions I found on Youtube. I just can't say how pleased I am with this panel. I don't know if its my calibrations or a combination of both but as I get closer to the break in period I'm finding considerably more depth to the image.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
arc , C6-B6 , calibration , computer , desktop , firmware update , lg c6 pc sdr hdr , lg oled , monitor , oled , oled b6 , oled lg , screen damage , screen uniformity , settings , soundbar , there is sig

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page