AVS Forum banner
3M views 30K replies 2K participants last post by  d3193 
#1 · (Edited)
I plan on getting a 65C6P and since we already have owners of the 55C6P I figured an owners thread is due.

Especially curios about panel uniformity, near black issues, content playback for UHD HDR Bluray, 3D, etc.

#13,401 ·
Yes, run that a few times and retest after each one. It helped my 55C6 dramatically.
I can't find any "pixel clean" option in my settings for my 65c6, are you referring to the "clear panel noise" option under the "OLED Panel Settings" tab?

#13,403 ·
I am only going to say this once so........... listen up. ;)

If you haven't seen the 4k HDR demos from YouTube you have no idea what your display is capable of.
I purchased a Chromecast Ultra and installed it yesterday.
Oh for the Love of whoever you worship!!!!
It will be the best $65.00 you will spend.
But for no money you can get a youtube downloader and use ffmpeg to convert the VP9 Profile 2 into HEVC HDR :). (Actually I haven't tried in a while, there were ffmpeg bugs the first time, but they are probably fixed now).

#13,405 ·
But for no money you can get a youtube downloader and use ffmpeg to convert the VP9 Profile 2 into HEVC HDR :). (Actually I haven't tried in a while, there were ffmpeg bugs the first time, but they are probably fixed now).

Most of the HDR tech demos made by Samsung, LG, etc on YouTube can be downloaded directly and played back in something like Kodi running on an Nvidia Shield. HDR mode kicks in for me when I play these files.

Example: http://demo-uhd3d.com/fiche.php?cat=uhd&id=145

#13,406 ·
Hey guys,

I have 65B6 and lately YouTube will not play 4K content in HD. I have gone in the settings menu to delete cookies number of times, but still the same result. Also, just to point out i have 75Mbps speed, so am positive speed is not the issue ( Amazon and Netflix do play Ultra HD content just fine ).

My second question - my set would not play MPEG4 videos from GoPro Hero4 Black. I have a dedicated external HD and some of my older MPEG4s would play ( recorder with non GoPro devices ). Has anyone have a fix for this issue?

Any help here?

#13,407 ·
Hey guys,

I have 65B6 and lately YouTube will not play 4K content in HD. I have gone in the settings menu to delete cookies number of times, but still the same result. Also, just to point out i have 75Mbps speed, so am positive speed is not the issue ( Amazon and Netflix do play Ultra HD content just fine ).

My second question - my set would not play MPEG4 videos from GoPro Hero4 Black. I have a dedicated external HD and some of my older MPEG4s would play ( recorder with non GoPro devices ). Has anyone have a fix for this issue?

Any help here?
**** I mean YouTube will not play 4K content in 4K but revert to HD only *********

#13,408 ·
Anyone seen screen picture tearing on a B6 or other LG OLED TVs?

I have had my TV less than month. I had a Samsung KS800D before that. I watched about 20 4K HDR discs on the KS800D wih my Samsung UHD player. I never saw any tearing. I have watched 2 other 4K HDR movies on my B6 so far and neitehr showed any tearing. Last night I watched Suicide Squad, on 4K HDR disc, for the first time )so no experience with that film/disc.) I saw tearing twice. The screen was split horizontally about 1/3 up the screen. Each side was roughly the same scene, so I do not know if one side of the split was several frames ahead or behind but that is the only assumption I make. I paused and backed up, but the tearing did not happen, so I cannot reproduce it.

I was using the same Samsung UHD player that I had used previously with my new B6 and when I had the KS800D. Also, it goes through my Denon receiver which I have used previously, with settings on both the same. Since I cannot reproduce the problem, I can not do any testing to find which part of that chain (Samsung UHD player-> Denon receiver -> TV) is causing it.

Anyone seen anything similar on his TV? Known problem, etc.?

#13,409 ·
I just now set my black levels with AVS HD brightness calibration video. I'm using oled light 80 for bright room and 60 for dark room. With AVS HD the right levels seemed to be 52 for bright and 53 for dark. I've had contrast at 85 for both and I'm a bit confused with it. The AVS HD contrast video says that I should adjust contrast until 230-234 or higher flash. With 85 contrast I can see pretty much every bar flashing up to 252. Is this correct?

And then about Dolby Vision. I understand that Oled light should be kept at the default 50 since it seems to be adjusted automatically depending if you are using bright or dark mode. But how should I go on about adjusting Brightness there? With the default 50 it feels like blacks are too dark and I'm missing details so should I use the same settings there as I am using with SDR settings (52 for bright mode and 53 for dark)? Or is there some other guideline I should follow here. I havent bumped into any calibration materials for setting Dolby Vision settings yet.

#13,410 ·
I just now set my black levels with AVS HD brightness calibration video. I'm using oled light 80 for bright room and 60 for dark room. With AVS HD the right levels seemed to be 52 for bright and 53 for dark. I've had contrast at 85 for both and I'm a bit confused with it. The AVS HD contrast video says that I should adjust contrast until 230-234 or higher flash. With 85 contrast I can see pretty much every bar flashing up to 252. Is this correct?
I think (my assumption) that the ABL is causing one to see all the white bars even with contrast at 100. OR the color management system of the TV might be messing with it. Either way, I do not think one can find an upper limit to contrast with traditional contrast tests since it shows all the whites even at max contrast.

I think (again, just my assumption) a better way to test contrast's upper limit is with color bar tests, with varying levels grades of red, green and blue bars, to see where those colors start clipping. On my B6, red and blue clip before green. Red and blue start clipping around 97 contrast or so when above that most of the mid and higher levels of red and blue blend completely together. When I get in the low 90s, I can see the higher levels pretty well. I just stuck with 85 since that is the consensus here.

#13,411 ·
Off angle 3D viewing & crosstalk?

For those that have the 65c model, do you notice any crosstalk with right or left off angle viewing?

I noticed some say that if the tv is mounted too low or too high, you may see crosstalk during 3D but wanted to know if the tv is mounted close to eye level do you still see crosstalk with off angle (left or right) viewing?

Any help is appreciated.

#13,412 ·
Best picture settings for OLED55B6P/Help with turning off "real cinema" option

Dear all,

I can't seem to find the right settings for my OLED55B6P. I realize that this is really a personal preference in a lot of ways. Nevertheless, I'd love anyone's feedback. My preference is to have the blacks really pop and take full advantage of the fact that this is an OLED TV, if that makes any sense. I also don't like things too bright and for my old Sony HD1080P XBR, the best setting that I stuck with was the cinema setting.

And most importantly, I hate the real cinema option but it's grayed out. It leads to a "soap opera" effect. Any idea how to turn that off? Thanks!

#13,413 ·
I think (my assumption) that the ABL is causing one to see all the white bars even with contrast at 100. OR the color management system of the TV might be messing with it. Either way, I do not think one can find an upper limit to contrast with traditional contrast tests since it shows all the whites even at max contrast.

I think (again, just my assumption) a better way to test contrast's upper limit is with color bar tests, with varying levels grades of red, green and blue bars, to see where those colors start clipping. On my B6, red and blue clip before green. Red and blue start clipping around 97 contrast or so when above that most of the mid and higher levels of red and blue blend completely together. When I get in the low 90s, I can see the higher levels pretty well. I just stuck with 85 since that is the consensus here.
Thanks. I actually just realized that my Oled light was way too high. It didnt "look" too bright for me but I realized that my eyes were starting to suffer from it. So I switched the oled light levels to 55/30 for day/night which seem to be more in line with the settings that most people are using. With these brightness 53 seemed to be correct for both. And yeah ABL is actually a good point that I didnt realize. I actually didnt even know what ABL was before I got this TV and noticed it during the first few days.
I checked a SpectralCal video that was saying they aim to set contrast so that you can see the bar over 235 and set it so that you cant see the highest bars (something like 249+). And thats seems to be what I'm getting with 85 contrast so I'll just leave it there, especially since like you said, it is the consensus. I actually tested contrast 100 and I almost lost all bars with that. I believe I got 235 flashing with 97 or 98. But either way I'll leave it at 85.

Still wondering about the Dolby Vision setting. Do people usually just leave settings untouched there? I now have dolby settings otherwise default except white balance is warm1 and color 60. Atleast on my panel Warm2 just has way too much green and I cant deal with the yellow whites it's giving me so I just have to go with warm1. I know color 60 oversaturates colors but with it I get back slightly more red to the skin colors which I'm losing by going warm1 over warm2 and honestly cant really notice the oversaturation of other colors. So it seems to be the best compromise for me currently. As some other have said, I wish there was a warm1.5 setting :).
I've only watched Dolby Vision from Netflix. and just watched some dark scenes in Daredevil to test the differences between brightness 50-53 but just cant honestly say if I'm crushing blacks or not. I guess I'll just leave it to defaults and wait until someone comes up with Dolby Vision calibration discs :).

#13,416 ·
For those that have the 65c model, do you notice any crosstalk with right or left off angle viewing?

I noticed some say that if the tv is mounted too low or too high, you may see crosstalk during 3D but wanted to know if the tv is mounted close to eye level do you still see crosstalk with off angle (left or right) viewing?

Any help is appreciated.
I view sitting off angle and get no crosstalk on my C6.

#13,417 ·
Lip Sync

Anyone having issues with lip sync? I seem to only have a issue when watching Cable TV which is connected to my XBOX ONE S to the television. I've tried the A/V adjustment manually, bypass and off. Bypass seems to be the best so far but I still see some lip sync being off. Is anyone using the manual A/V adjustments? I'm currently testing it out at -1.
Lip sync is frequently off by a frame or two - tho rarely on dvd/bluray. So many possible culprits: broadcast, dvr, cable box, avr, the TV (C6), so it's hard to track down. Strangely I've found that a dvr'd show (usually the way I watch cable/broadcast) will start out of sync and then become OK. I know the industry has been talking about including a sync signal, but haven't heard of it being implemented.

#13,418 ·
Dear all,

I can't seem to find the right settings for my OLED55B6P. I realize that this is really a personal preference in a lot of ways. Nevertheless, I'd love anyone's feedback. My preference is to have the blacks really pop and take full advantage of the fact that this is an OLED TV, if that makes any sense. I also don't like things too bright and for my old Sony HD1080P XBR, the best setting that I stuck with was the cinema setting.

And most importantly, I hate the real cinema option but it's grayed out. It leads to a "soap opera" effect. Any idea how to turn that off? Thanks!
For Soap Opera Effect, it's TruMotion that you need to disable. Not Real Cinema. Real Cinema is good...it does reverse telecine for 24p filmed content when displayed on a 60 Hz stream. Leave it on for best results; it doesn't have anything to do with Soap Opera effect.

#13,419 ·
Dear all,

My preference is to have the blacks really pop and take full advantage of the fact that this is an OLED TV, if that makes any sense.
Study this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...7-lg-oleds-how-enhance-near-black-detail.html

Basically you want to test what brightness setting produces glow with blacks that should be black, then use a brightness setting one step below that. Then you want to adjust 5% black level so you can see near blacks.

How to do all that is the topic of that thread. Read the first 10 pages or so, then read the last 10 or so, and you should have good understanding of how to proceed.

#13,420 ·
Hi guys,
I"m looking into buying 2016 B6 65". What's a good place to buy? I have had projectors and every projector I purchased, the MSRP was way higher than what I ended up buying. Sometimes like 40% lower. I haven't bought TV in a while and don't know how it goes. I"m also thinking if I should go for a used one. What would be a good price for used one?

Thx.