2016 LG C6-B6 owners thread - Page 698 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 264102Likes

post #20911 of 27945 Old 08-01-2017, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2077 Post(s)
Liked: 1692
Oh Jesus.

Anyone looking at doing calibrations, just don't use a PC or Laptop. The HDMI variations aren't worth it. Lol

I'm reverting back to using the Mobile Forge pattern generator app until I save up for a real pattern generator piece of hardware. Thought I had my laptop setup properly finally and nah.

/end rant

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20912 of 27945 Old 08-01-2017, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman23 View Post
You'll need @Quebecker to help with this question as he's the PC expert. He plays a lot of PC games on his B6. Hopefully he'll chime in here and offer up his expertise. Or you could private message him as he's really helpful. Wish I could help you but I only Game on my PS4 Pro and Nintendo Switch. I hear PC gaming is the best though.

Ok thanks.

Why we can't use on Game Picture mode TruMotion , but on HDR Game mode we can ?

Why also Game Picture mode has Wide Color Gamut and HDR Game Mode you can change it to Normal and not greyed out....

Why there is a limit ?? LG needs to fix it with firmware update. Some games I want to use TruMotion , like 30 Fps locked games.
post #20913 of 27945 Old 08-01-2017, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1193
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
Oh Jesus.

Anyone looking at doing calibrations, just don't use a PC or Laptop. The HDMI variations aren't worth it. Lol

I'm reverting back to using the Mobile Forge pattern generator app until I save up for a real pattern generator piece of hardware. Thought I had my laptop setup properly finally and nah.

/end rant

Have you tried HFCR with a chromecast?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20914 of 27945 Old 08-01-2017, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2077 Post(s)
Liked: 1692
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
Have you tried HFCR with a chromecast?
No. I've always been setup with CalMAN. In the past I used Mobile Forge and then when I had a desktop I had it setup for accurate HDMI.

For the life of me I can't get my laptop to comply so I'm going back to Mobile Forge.

Which means it'll be at least one more day to do HDR reads for those interested.

post #20915 of 27945 Old 08-01-2017, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by x7007 View Post
Ok thanks.

Why also Game Picture mode has Wide Color Gamut and HDR Game Mode you can change it to Normal and not greyed out....

Why there is a limit ?? LG needs to fix it with firmware update. Some games I want to use TruMotion , like 30 Fps locked games.
Yeah LG has made some weird choices about available settings in the Game Modes. It would be nice if it followed the same format as the other modes, just with all the extra processing defaulted to off and not locking things like Color Gamut.

65C8P l 65B6P l P55-C1 l Shockwafe Ultra 9.2 & Elite 7.2 l XB1 X l PS4 Pro l Switch

Last edited by bpmurr; 08-01-2017 at 02:44 PM.
post #20916 of 27945 Old 08-01-2017, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked: 676
Quote:
Still no one answered till this time.

What is the best mode to use as a PC Monitor Games/Movies ?

PC Icon + Game Picture Mode for gaming ?

or

Game Console Icon + Game Picture Mode ?

using PC Icon it has the different of YcbCR 4:4:4 , Do I need it ? or it doesn't matter for us/me ?

Can someone properly answer this question, cause no one ask it, no one answer it , and they just skip to other non useful questions which being answered.
Yes
post #20917 of 27945 Old 08-01-2017, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1193
Ok GL BCJ. Don't forget to spend more time enjoying your set than tweaking it!
morphinapg likes this.
post #20918 of 27945 Old 08-01-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman23 View Post
You'll need @Quebecker to help with this question as he's the PC expert. He plays a lot of PC games on his B6. Hopefully he'll chime in here and offer up his expertise. Or you could private message him as he's really helpful. Wish I could help you but I only Game on my PS4 Pro and Nintendo Switch. I hear PC gaming is the best though.

Ok thanks.

Game mode mean low lag. Trumotion introduce a lot of lag. This is why it's deactivated.

If you want to use some Trumotion, use another mode line ISF and put some of it. There will be lag however.

Finally, if you have a B6, the best mode is game console mode and game mode for game.

If you have a C6, use pc mode with game mode for game.

On the B6, pc mode introduce more input lag. On the C6, it does not.
Superman23 likes this.
post #20919 of 27945 Old 08-01-2017, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebecker View Post
Yeah same here, I never saw image retention on my TV. Sometime after 2-3 hours of gaming with a static UI, I put a grey, white or red screen to see if I can see image retention, but still never saw it.

It's weird.

with this image any oled b6 will have image retention

proof here :

THE FIX IS SIMPLE CLEAR PANEL NOISE

or shut down the tv for a couple of hours

only this image will do it

shift panel function can be on

but to get image retation with this is simple put it wallpaper and do something for a couple of time
post #20920 of 27945 Old 08-01-2017, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Yeah, 30hz make it unplayable especially with that input lag.

I'll try your tip.

EDIT: Using 2X supersampling plus an extra TXAA the game look ok in 1080P, 60hz make it more playable but the imput lag is still too high.

The 2017 OLED have a DV game mode...We don't

did play games from pc with dolby vision ?? how ?
post #20921 of 27945 Old 08-01-2017, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Mass Effect Andromeda has DV support on PC and it looks quite good. I didn't know the 2017 Oleds have a DV game mode. Wonder if they could add it to the 2016s or if it's a hardware limitation.
post #20922 of 27945 Old 08-01-2017, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post
Interesting, good to hear. I've always been wondering that since it was revealed that it does show some extra detail in highlights.

I'll probably wait for BigCoolJesus's measurements comparing the two though, just to be sure.
If you want to test out how dim the current HDR game mode is, then adjust the OLED light down to 25 for the old HDR game mode implementation. That's about how dim the screen is now. It's absolutely not worth any extra detail in highlights, and over saturating the image with the wide colour gamut and destroying a consistent contrast level with dynamic contrast is not a fix. Furthermore, if LG thinks this HDR implementation is better, then why did they only change it for game mode? To me it just sounds like total horse crap, and instead of fixing the actual problem they're just doing the easy thing and telling everyone to turn on dynamic contrast, and sadly it seems to be working. Obviously the awful side effects of dynamic contrast are too subtle for the majority to pick up on, which really isn't surprising considering most folks value pop and flash over actual depth and accuracy.
Adamd and Fiction like this.
post #20923 of 27945 Old 08-01-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Ok thanks.

If you have a C6, you can use PC mode, however, PC mode has no Trumotion for any setting.

It will let you use true 4:4:4 though. This is the only mode that give you true 4:4:4 RGB

For movies, switch to ISF dark or Bright.

Game mode is locked at wide, but I'm quite sure it's still displaying normal if you put color value setting to 50. I tried to switch between Game mode and ISF dark calibrated and couldn't see any difference (if of course color temp are at the same value).

Don't have any hope for LG firmware
post #20924 of 27945 Old 08-01-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MirceaForce View Post
with this image any oled b6 will have image retention

proof here :

THE FIX IS SIMPLE CLEAR PANEL NOISE

or shut down the tv for a couple of hours

only this image will do it

shift panel function can be on

but to get image retation with this is simple put it wallpaper and do something for a couple of time
My Windows wallpaper is a solid red screen.

Also called, Early Detection of Burn-In wallpaper

Thank for the info though
post #20925 of 27945 Old 08-01-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MirceaForce View Post
did play games from pc with dolby vision ?? how ?
Mass Effect Andromeda is Dolby Vision. It look so good you want to cry.

The input lag is horrible however and locked in 30hz in 4k....

Anyway, it's unplayable.
post #20926 of 27945 Old 08-01-2017, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2213 Post(s)
Liked: 1744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Dillon View Post
If you want to test out how dim the current HDR game mode is, then adjust the OLED light down to 25 for the old HDR game mode implementation. That's about how dim the screen is now. It's absolutely not worth any extra detail in highlights, and over saturating the image with the wide colour gamut and destroying a consistent contrast level with dynamic contrast is not a fix. Furthermore, if LG thinks this HDR implementation is better, then why did they only change it for game mode? To me it just sounds like total horse crap, and instead of fixing the actual problem they're just doing the easy thing and telling everyone to turn on dynamic contrast, and sadly it seems to be working. Obviously the awful side effects of dynamic contrast are too subtle for the majority to pick up on, which really isn't surprising considering most folks value pop and flash over actual depth and accuracy.
Again, a darker image your eyes can adjust to in a dark viewing environment as long as the image dynamics are still there.

But again I'm waiting for actual measurements before I make any decisions.

In the end if I upgrade and don't like it I can always use HDR standard mode. The difference in lag isn't really that much anyway.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HTCT780, Base PS4, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Philips BDP7502, AV.io 4K
Check out my video game movie edits
post #20927 of 27945 Old 08-01-2017, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:
I played some uncharted today and with out DC even sunny outdoor areas look very dim. It's playable but I would rather have hdr off then to play like this.
TiSA88 and Fiction like this.
post #20928 of 27945 Old 08-01-2017, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post
I played some uncharted today and with out DC even sunny outdoor areas look very dim. It's playable but I would rather have hdr off then to play like this.
I know, it sucks. What I'm saying is that dynamic contrast is a necessary evil with the current firmware, not a fix. The older implementation was much better. This new game mode has terrible contrast with highlights and the only way to make it look reasonable is with dynamic contrast and all of its drawbacks. Also, to LG, if this was a deliberate decision why was it omitted from the patch notes?
Fiction likes this.
post #20929 of 27945 Old 08-01-2017, 05:02 PM

Quote:
I know, it sucks. What I'm saying is that dynamic contrast is a necessary evil with the current firmware, not a fix. The older implementation was much better. This new game mode has terrible contrast with highlights and the only way to make it look reasonable is with dynamic contrast and all of its drawbacks. Also, to LG, if this was a deliberate decision why was it omitted from the patch notes?
Quote:
What TV do you guys have, C or B
post #20930 of 27945 Old 08-01-2017, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I started another thread about this issue and I hope it makes more people call lg about this. Using DC is definitely not a fix and I hope people aren't happy with this approach. I would like to see how much input lag DC adds maybe that would change people's minds.
Fiction likes this.
post #20931 of 27945 Old 08-01-2017, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What TV do you guys have, C or B
I have the e6 but it's the same as the c6 pretty much. I don't even know if the b6 has this issue or not, I thought it has not got the newest firmware yet.I just got a b7 for my bedroom I should hook up my PS4 in there and see how it compares.
post #20932 of 27945 Old 08-01-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
I have the e6 but it's the same as the c6 pretty much. I don't even know if the b6 has this issue or not, I thought it has not got the newest firmware yet.I just got a b7 for my bedroom I should hook up my PS4 in there and see how it compares.
We do have a dimmer HDR game mode, but it does not look that catastrophic.
nodixe, Superman23 and sechev00 like this.
post #20933 of 27945 Old 08-01-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
I'd love to hear a response from someone who both owns a 2016 and 2017 model. A lot of people were saying that the 2017 models have a really dim HDR mode too, but I somehow doubt it's as bad as what the C6 and E6's recent firmware done. Oh, and as far as I know the B6 has always had a dim HDR game mode, but I'm also curious to see if it's as bad as the recent firmware for the C6 and E6. I'm C6 BTW.
post #20934 of 27945 Old 08-01-2017, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1057 Post(s)
Liked: 624
Quote:
I'd love to hear a response from someone who both owns a 2016 and 2017 model. A lot of people were saying that the 2017 models have a really dim HDR mode too, but I somehow doubt it's as bad as what the C6 and E6's recent firmware done. Oh, and as far as I know the B6 has always had a dim HDR game mode, but I'm also curious to see if it's as bad as the recent firmware for the C6 and E6. I'm C6 BTW.
Na I seriously doubt the b6 is dimmer than the e and c
post #20935 of 27945 Old 08-01-2017, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok I pulled my PS4 pro into the bedroom and tested it out. I can say 100% the b7 does not have a dim picture. It looks like the e6 before the update. A easy way to test this is to put it into cinema mode with DC off then switch over to the game mode. They looked like the same brightness. On my e6 if I switch from cinema to the game mode the game mode is maybe 1/3 as bright.
post #20936 of 27945 Old 08-01-2017, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Alright, so I looked at it more tonight when I got home and the difference in the new and older firmware on the C6 is ridiculous. It's like running OLED light at 30% versus 100% HDR. The highlights have definitely been reduced and I recommend no one update their firmware if you have a C6. It honestly doesn't even look HDR anymore to my eye, but to each their own. I have no idea if the B6 is as bad since there are quite a few people in here saying that it isn't, but the C6 is AWFUL. I will probably downgrade the firmware this weekend and deal with the notifications.

Edit: Will attempt messing with it further later tonight, but so far this looks no bueno.

Last edited by Fiction; 08-01-2017 at 05:42 PM.
post #20937 of 27945 Old 08-01-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Quote:
No the HDR game mode on the B6 was normal before the latest patch.
post #20938 of 27945 Old 08-01-2017, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Thanks for the tip. I haven't updated my C6 but I've been tempted by some of the comments here. It doesn't sound good so I think I'll wait. Is it possible that dynamic contrast in this particular mode has a different behavior than the standard HDR modes and that's why LG is pushing it as the solution? (I don't like DC for normal content).

I wonder though - a while back my son was playing Uncharted 4 HDR in a marathon session. Later in the day, I was in the room when the screen suddenly started flashing with green lines. It reminded me of a board failure video I found on YouTube. I panicked a bit and shut down the PS4 Pro. He said it happened to him once before on that day. Since then, I've limited his time on the set and there haven't been any issues at all. Occasionally we'll play an HDR game on the C6 but no marathon sessions. I know it's a long shot but I wonder if there's an issue LG is trying to prevent.
post #20939 of 27945 Old 08-01-2017, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by javayoda View Post
Thanks for the tip. I haven't updated my C6 but I've been tempted by some of the comments here. It doesn't sound good so I think I'll wait. Is it possible that dynamic contrast in this particular mode has a different behavior than the standard HDR modes and that's why LG is pushing it as the solution? (I don't like DC for normal content).

I wonder though - a while back my son was playing Uncharted 4 HDR in a marathon session. Later in the day, I was in the room when the screen suddenly started flashing with green lines. It reminded me of a board failure video I found on YouTube. I panicked a bit and shut down the PS4 Pro. He said it happened to him once before on that day. Since then, I've limited his time on the set and there haven't been any issues at all. Occasionally we'll play an HDR game on the C6 but no marathon sessions. I know it's a long shot but I wonder if there's an issue LG is trying to prevent.
I think that's a handshake issue with the PS4 Pro. Many people have problems with that console, myself included, on many different TVs. Reddit's PS4 Pro subreddit is filled with people complaining about all of the issues with it. Some people say that replacing the HDMI cable with a certified one will fix it, but I've tried this and it did not fix anything for me. YMMV. I feel like it's a bug Sony needs to address with a FW update.
post #20940 of 27945 Old 08-01-2017, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
No the HDR game mode on the B6 was normal before the latest patch.

Folks in the B/C7 forums are also having issues with HDR in both PC mode and with the youTube app. It broke/changed in a firmware update earlier in the summer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
arc , C6-B6 , calibration , computer , desktop , firmware update , lg c6 pc sdr hdr , lg oled , monitor , oled , oled b6 , oled lg , screen damage , screen uniformity , settings , soundbar , there is sig

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page