2016 LG C6-B6 owners thread - Page 731 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 264149Likes

post #21901 of 28112 Old 09-02-2017, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2283 Post(s)
Liked: 1835
Quote:
Originally Posted by x7007 View Post
Some movies are just 4K and HDR Fake..

http://realorfake4k.com/
That site is all about resolution, not HDR, which is always the far more important part of a 4K Blu-ray anyway.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HTCT780, Base PS4, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Sony UBP-X700, Atomos Ninja Inferno
Check out my video game movie edits
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21902 of 28112 Old 09-02-2017, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2151 Post(s)
Liked: 1726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Goldman View Post
Brand new owner of a B6 and so far very happy. The one thing that has been puzzling is the performance on 4K UHD HDR Blu Rays. I only have an XBox One S (and not sure if this is the best player) for 4K UHD player so this may be the issue. All the settings on both the XBox and TV (a 55" B6) look good. The HDR pop up happens shortly after the movie starts. I have played the following movies:
Star Trek
Star Trek Into Darkness
Lucy
The Bourne Identity
I have downloaded and played some 4K UHD HDR content off the internet and it looks spectacular so I'm pretty sure the TV is working just fine.

To tell you the truth the 4K UHD Blu Rays don't really look any better than the 1080P Blu Rays. While I have not had the panel professionally calibrated I am very happy with the look of everything I have played and would have expected to see some improvement from the 4K movies. I have a nice den that is darkened for movies and my wife and I sit about 4-6 feet from the TV in two very nice recliners.
Any help would be appreciated.
Tbh... The UHD Blu-ray performance of my Xbox One S left me wanting more so I got an Oppo 203. Much better all around.

Now, that being said you should still be getting a good experience out of your UHD Blu-rays. What specifically about the movies do you find lacking or underwhelming?

Also, of those movies Lucy is really the only one that I would give a decent score in terms of the UHD HDR experience but even than its not a reference quality movie in terms of HDR.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
post #21903 of 28112 Old 09-02-2017, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Lol I just got my receiver a couple days ago thinking it would be a while before the Dolby Vision update, but it's out now!

I'm planning on getting a DV player soon, so I'm glad my receiver will already support it.

williamwallace and OwnerOfLg like this.

Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Sony UBP-X700, Atomos Ninja Inferno
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21904 of 28112 Old 09-02-2017, 11:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Wow...uc lost legacy was so good on b6...one of the best games i ever played. Just finished it.
morphinapg likes this.
post #21905 of 28112 Old 09-03-2017, 02:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I wonder if the new Tecnicolor mode will also come to the B6?
RichB likes this.
post #21906 of 28112 Old 09-03-2017, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristoffer77 View Post
I wonder if the new Tecnicolor mode will also come to the B6?
https://youtu.be/howz2dEoTjU
Seems b6 updates are not very frequent, i haven't had firmware update since i bought b6 which was about 4-5 months ago. I would not bet any relevant updates at this point...well atleast they added hdr game mode, + for that.
post #21907 of 28112 Old 09-03-2017, 04:40 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 57
HDTVtest just answered me no on Twitter.
RickD_99 likes this.
post #21908 of 28112 Old 09-03-2017, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post
Lol I just got my receiver a couple days ago thinking it would be a while before the Dolby Vision update, but it's out now!

I'm planning on getting a DV player soon, so I'm glad my receiver will already support it.

Which model Denon do you have?
post #21909 of 28112 Old 09-03-2017, 07:05 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Brand new owner of a B6 and so far very happy. The one thing that has been puzzling is the performance on 4K UHD HDR Blu Rays. I only have an XBox One S (and not sure if this is the best player) for 4K UHD player so this may be the issue. All the settings on both the XBox and TV (a 55" B6) look good. The HDR pop up happens shortly after the movie starts. I have played the following movies:
Star Trek
Star Trek Into Darkness
Lucy
The Bourne Identity
I have downloaded and played some 4K UHD HDR content off the internet and it looks spectacular so I'm pretty sure the TV is working just fine.

To tell you the truth the 4K UHD Blu Rays don't really look any better than the 1080P Blu Rays. While I have not had the panel professionally calibrated I am very happy with the look of everything I have played and would have expected to see some improvement from the 4K movies. I have a nice den that is darkened for movies and my wife and I sit about 4-6 feet from the TV in two very nice recliners.
Any help would be appreciated.
I would say uncalibrated, my UHD HDR on HDR Standard picture mode did not look great. I have an XBox One S as my player as well. The first few I watched only looked OK, including "Trolls" which should have been extremely colorful, and XMen Apocalypse.

However, HDR Bright looked a lot better on both of those, and made a big difference. I read a lot of HDR setting opinions and found quite a few people choosing HDR Bright anyway so I stuck with that.

Now that I'm pro calibrated, the HDR Standard looks a lot better and is almost as poppy as HDR Bright (which he also calibrated a bit). I know Bright is not quite accurate so I use Standard, but they both still look great. I watched Guardians 2 last night in Standard, and it looked pretty incredible. Colors were deep and expansive and overall it was very impressive. I didn't check it in Bright yet. I also watched Lego Batman a few months ago in my calibrated Standard, which also looked great. It's very close to the DV stream, with less compression obv but more blooming, but the colors overall are accurate and Standard is correct once calibrated.

Source matters a lot I found. Some dull movies just look dull all the time (Arrival comes to mind) and benefit from HDR Bright while the movies like Guardians and Lego Batman and Trolls will be colorful and bright and HDR Bright will look too saturated.

But in conclusion Guardians 2 in 4k UHD disk looks pretty incredible. I was starting to wonder because my cable input gives a garbage picture but it has restored my faith. I wish I had access to the DV stream but I digress.
post #21910 of 28112 Old 09-03-2017, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 227
I just saw my first 4K football game on my B6 (Maryland/Texas, produced by FS1 and presented via DirecTV).

STUNNING. We felt like we were there.

Folks - this TV is paradigm-shifting excellence!
Bleeding Edge and OwnerOfLg like this.
post #21911 of 28112 Old 09-03-2017, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post
I just saw my first 4K football game on my B6 (Maryland/Texas, produced by FS1 and presented via DirecTV).

STUNNING. We felt like we were there.

Folks - this TV is paradigm-shifting excellence!
Would love for football to be broadcast in 4k regularly!
RickD_99 and john fusco like this.
post #21912 of 28112 Old 09-03-2017, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Did we decide if it's better to let the TV do the upscaling or if upscaling through the Xbox One S is superior?

I get a lot of macroblocking in my Xfinity feed and it's really quite annoying. I'm willing to do anything to help improve the picture. Anyone else have any experience with this or ideas?

Would pushing for a new coax cable run through the house help at all? Increasing sharpness? I have no ideas left other than these. My TV has been calibrated and it didn't really help much.
post #21913 of 28112 Old 09-03-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuEnglish View Post
Did we decide if it's better to let the TV do the upscaling or if upscaling through the Xbox One S is superior?

I get a lot of macroblocking in my Xfinity feed and it's really quite annoying. I'm willing to do anything to help improve the picture. Anyone else have any experience with this or ideas?

Would pushing for a new coax cable run through the house help at all? Increasing sharpness? I have no ideas left other than these. My TV has been calibrated and it didn't really help much.
Hbo through ps 4 pro is quite horrifying too...i think it's just hbo Nordic and it's bad signal though. Netflix is a lot lot better...atleast via tv app, haven't tried pro app.
post #21914 of 28112 Old 09-03-2017, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTV Programmer View Post
Which model Denon do you have?
X1300W (it's in my sig)

post #21915 of 28112 Old 09-03-2017, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnerOfLg View Post
Quote:

Hbo through ps 4 pro is quite horrifying too...i think it's just hbo Nordic and it's bad signal though. Netflix is a lot lot better...atleast via tv app, haven't tried pro app.
Through my firetv it's very hit and miss. Game of thrones last night was horrifying for me in dark scenes.
Fiction likes this.
post #21916 of 28112 Old 09-03-2017, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
Tbh... The UHD Blu-ray performance of my Xbox One S left me wanting more so I got an Oppo 203. Much better all around.

Now, that being said you should still be getting a good experience out of your UHD Blu-rays. What specifically about the movies do you find lacking or underwhelming?

Also, of those movies Lucy is really the only one that I would give a decent score in terms of the UHD HDR experience but even than its not a reference quality movie in terms of HDR.

I have run the 4K UHD movie and then jumped back and forth to the Blu-Ray version (MKV Rip running on either the HTPC or using the native WebOS video player) and see no appreciable difference in the two. If I were doing a blind test (not knowing which one was UHD) I don't think I would be even close to telling one over the other. I guess I will have to save up for a better UHD player to see if that makes any difference. That being said, the picture quality of the OLED over any other TV I have had is amazing (currently have the TCL P605 as 2nd TV, previously had a Samsung KU6300, and a Vizio 2015 M60-C3. I couldn't be happier with the B6 and I know the amazing quality of the picture of upscaled 1080P Blu-Rays and the potential for UHD from looking at some You Tube 4K UHD HDR demos that I have streamed or downloaded.
post #21917 of 28112 Old 09-03-2017, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
I would say uncalibrated, my UHD HDR on HDR Standard picture mode did not look great. I have an XBox One S as my player as well. The first few I watched only looked OK, including "Trolls" which should have been extremely colorful, and XMen Apocalypse.

However, HDR Bright looked a lot better on both of those, and made a big difference. I read a lot of HDR setting opinions and found quite a few people choosing HDR Bright anyway so I stuck with that.

Now that I'm pro calibrated, the HDR Standard looks a lot better and is almost as poppy as HDR Bright (which he also calibrated a bit). I know Bright is not quite accurate so I use Standard, but they both still look great. I watched Guardians 2 last night in Standard, and it looked pretty incredible. Colors were deep and expansive and overall it was very impressive. I didn't check it in Bright yet. I also watched Lego Batman a few months ago in my calibrated Standard, which also looked great. It's very close to the DV stream, with less compression obv but more blooming, but the colors overall are accurate and Standard is correct once calibrated.

Source matters a lot I found. Some dull movies just look dull all the time (Arrival comes to mind) and benefit from HDR Bright while the movies like Guardians and Lego Batman and Trolls will be colorful and bright and HDR Bright will look too saturated.

But in conclusion Guardians 2 in 4k UHD disk looks pretty incredible. I was starting to wonder because my cable input gives a garbage picture but it has restored my faith. I wish I had access to the DV stream but I digress.
I will try the HDR Bright setting and I will also give the Guardians 2 a shot and I'm told that Mad Max: Fury Road is supposed to be one of the best at showing off HDR. Open to other suggestions about Movies to look at. For the most part, even upscaled 1080P Blu Rays look outstanding so I'm not planning on looking at anything other than OLED for a long time.
post #21918 of 28112 Old 09-03-2017, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2151 Post(s)
Liked: 1726
Quote:
I have run the 4K UHD movie and then jumped back and forth to the Blu-Ray version (MKV Rip running on either the HTPC or using the native WebOS video player) and see no appreciable difference in the two. If I were doing a blind test (not knowing which one was UHD) I don't think I would be even close to telling one over the other. I guess I will have to save up for a better UHD player to see if that makes any difference. That being said, the picture quality of the OLED over any other TV I have had is amazing (currently have the TCL P605 as 2nd TV, previously had a Samsung KU6300, and a Vizio 2015 M60-C3. I couldn't be happier with the B6 and I know the amazing quality of the picture of upscaled 1080P Blu-Rays and the potential for UHD from looking at some You Tube 4K UHD HDR demos that I have streamed or downloaded.
As I said, I would try a better UHD Blu-ray movie first before writing off the Xbox One S or the format itself. John Wick, The Revenant, Kong Skull Island are a couple. Check out the master 4k content thread in the HDR/WCG sub forum for a list of reference quality titles.

Would you mind telling what specifically you were expecting to see different wise between SDR and HDR? The wrong expectations can play into it as well. I know it did for me the first UHD Blu-ray I watched.

post #21919 of 28112 Old 09-04-2017, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 31
65B6 Dark Scenes

While watching movies on FIOS, I noticed on very dark scenes, in the darkest areas, the picture seems to be breaking up a bit. It is temporary and disappears after the scene lightens up. Is it due to the settings, being too dark? Any help is appreciated.
post #21920 of 28112 Old 09-04-2017, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Just upgraded to a ps4 pro and honestly not seeing any difference. Tried UC4 and image clarity doesn't seem any better. HDR only seems to dim the image and not do anything else. Is there something wrong with my settings?
post #21921 of 28112 Old 09-04-2017, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destiny2 View Post
Just upgraded to a ps4 pro and honestly not seeing any difference. Tried UC4 and image clarity doesn't seem any better. HDR only seems to dim the image and not do anything else. Is there something wrong with my settings?
Because u have oled that's why lolololol
post #21922 of 28112 Old 09-04-2017, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destiny2 View Post
Uncharted 4 is only a small bump on the Pro to 1440p. Try Horizon Zero Dawn or Rise of the Tomb Raider which both play at full 4K using checkerboard rendering (which as far as I'm concerned is visually identical to native)

The Last of Us also plays at full 4K in 30fps mode. Ratchet and Clank also plays pretty close to full 4K, but has a slightly smoother image than the others, and a variable rendering technique, so it's not super sharp.

HDR will only dim the image in HDR game mode. Use HDR standard. If it's still dimmer, then your SDR "OLED light" setting is probably just too high. Mine's at 28 to match the brightness of 0-100 nit content in HDR. Just give it a minute and your eyes will adjust. You can use the HDR game mode for more detail in the highlights, but it's recommended you do it in a very dark room and make sure to adjust the in game brightness setting as well.

Last edited by morphinapg; 09-04-2017 at 10:21 AM.
post #21923 of 28112 Old 09-04-2017, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6574 Post(s)
Liked: 6570
post #21924 of 28112 Old 09-04-2017, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 72
for someone who does not have access to calibration equipment or professional calibrator (third world lol) it is best to stay with default options and not touch anything?
post #21925 of 28112 Old 09-04-2017, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by onaga View Post
for someone who does not have access to calibration equipment or professional calibrator (third world lol) it is best to stay with default options and not touch anything?
U can set contrast and brightness with a calibration disc but other than that I would turn off enhancements and that's about it
post #21926 of 28112 Old 09-04-2017, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
contrast should probably be between 82-85 and brightness between 50-53
post #21927 of 28112 Old 09-04-2017, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking 29 View Post
l can notice the small glow in blacks as soon i go beyond brighness 52.

funny is, with default 50 all my ps4 games looks awasome and pass the ingame calibration charts (normally a greyscale to true black to true whites)

gamma. bt1886
post #21928 of 28112 Old 09-04-2017, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking 29 View Post
l can notice the small glow in blacks as soon i go beyond brighness 52.

funny is, with default 50 all my ps4 games looks awasome and pass the ingame calibration charts (normally a greyscale to true black to true whites)

gamma. bt1886
As soon as you see a little glow back it down 1 click on brightness
post #21929 of 28112 Old 09-04-2017, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 2
So my understanding is that with the new update, Dynamic Contrast should be high for Hdr gaming. I also watch my 4k movies on my Xbox, but usually on HDTV standard. It's currently off... Should that be up to high now as well?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
post #21930 of 28112 Old 09-04-2017, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmnterminator View Post
So my understanding is that with the new update, Dynamic Contrast should be high for Hdr gaming. I also watch my 4k movies on my Xbox, but usually on HDTV standard. It's currently off... Should that be up to high now as well?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
I don't recommend ever using dynamic contrast myself. Has a negative effect on image quality.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
arc , C6-B6 , calibration , computer , desktop , firmware update , lg c6 pc sdr hdr , lg oled , monitor , oled , oled b6 , oled lg , screen damage , screen uniformity , settings , soundbar , there is sig

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page