2016 LG C6-B6 owners thread - Page 733 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 264203Likes

post #21961 of 28187 Old 09-05-2017, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Color setting calibration

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1special View Post
Thank you for that information. I was not aware of that.

I read on AVS somewhere that using a physical blue filter did not provide accurate results, but that using the TV's built-in color filter, did. Not sure how accurate those posts were. I used the TV's built-in blue filter.

Couple of questions. I realize it's a wide color gamut TV, but with color gamut set to Normal when using the flashing color bars pattern, there is no remapping input colors to a wider color gamut because it's not being used, correct? I understand the flashing color bars blue filter test not being accurate with color gamut set to wide, but should still work with color gamut set to normal, no?

As far as the results with real content are concerned, with Color at 60 and Normal CG, some TV shows appear oversaturated, but most do not, and movies and netflix shows appear quite natural and realistic, not oversaturated.
I read a bit more on the Spears & Munsil site about color calibration and found this interesting:

"If the display has a “blue-only” mode, the blue-only effect will almost certainly be applied after Color & Tint, but before the CMS. If the display has a CMS on/off control, try looking at the Color and Tint pattern with blue-only mode on, and CMS both off and on. There should be no difference. If there is no difference you can adjust Color and Tint without worrying if the CMS is on or off. Just turn on “blue only” mode, calibrate Color and Tint, then turn it off again. No filter is necessary."

Anyone know if this "blue-only" mode they are referring to is the same as using the TV's built-in blue color filter? I understand this to mean that if the TV has a blue only mode, it can be used to calibrate the Color setting with the standard color bars pattern.

LG OLED65B6P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21962 of 28187 Old 09-05-2017, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rono7 View Post
Lowering the brightness setting from 52 to 49 corrected the problem. Grainy, blotches gone. Anything higher than 51 results in the grainy effect.
Quote:
bt.1886

where did you see those grainy , blotches ? can you show screenshot or say which movie or video you saw it ?
post #21963 of 28187 Old 09-05-2017, 05:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
Tbh... The UHD Blu-ray performance of my Xbox One S left me wanting more so I got an Oppo 203. Much better all around.

Now, that being said you should still be getting a good experience out of your UHD Blu-rays. What specifically about the movies do you find lacking or underwhelming?

Also, of those movies Lucy is really the only one that I would give a decent score in terms of the UHD HDR experience but even than its not a reference quality movie in terms of HDR.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Actually, I finally played around with some settings and also jumped around in some of the movies and finally started to see some real improvement in the UHD movies (specifically The Bourne Identity). I am open to suggestions to see the full potential of 4K UHD HDR with some other movie titles - I will also be considering the purchase of a different 4K UHD Player (maybe even something with both HDR and DV). That being said, the picture on this TV is amazing - it is a generational move forward versus the other TVs I have had before - even with 1080P Blu Rays - previous TVs were Vizio M60-C3, Samsung KU-6300 and currently have a TCL P605 (BB version 55"). I am sure it will be impossible to go back to an LCD (unless Samsung manages to perfect its Quantum Dot).
One other caveat that I didn't notice at first - the 4K UHD version of the 1st two Hunger Games Movies (Original and Catching Fire) weren't advertised as HDR movies and the difference between the 4K and 1080P movies was imperceptible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21964 of 28187 Old 09-05-2017, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Goldman View Post
Actually, I finally played around with some settings and also jumped around in some of the movies and finally started to see some real improvement in the UHD movies (specifically The Bourne Identity). I am open to suggestions to see the full potential of 4K UHD HDR with some other movie titles - I will also be considering the purchase of a different 4K UHD Player (maybe even something with both HDR and DV). That being said, the picture on this TV is amazing - it is a generational move forward versus the other TVs I have had before - even with 1080P Blu Rays - previous TVs were Vizio M60-C3, Samsung KU-6300 and currently have a TCL P605 (BB version 55"). I am sure it will be impossible to go back to an LCD (unless Samsung manages to perfect its Quantum Dot).
One other caveat that I didn't notice at first - the 4K UHD version of the 1st two Hunger Games Movies (Original and Catching Fire) weren't advertised as HDR movies and the difference between the 4K and 1080P movies was imperceptible.
you can get UHD player Oppo 203 for Dolby Vision. this tv will be perfect to pair with Oppo.
john fusco likes this.

SONY XBR75X900F: Oppo UDP-203: DirecTv 4K: ATV4K
Marantz SR6013: Aircom T8: Dolby Atmos 5.2.4
Definitive Tech. BP9060, CS 9060 HD: Mythos GEM: SM 55
Subwoofer Paradigm X12: Panamax MR4300
Harmony Elite Remote:Philips Hue Ambient Lights
post #21965 of 28187 Old 09-05-2017, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2188 Post(s)
Liked: 1729
I unfortunately have to part ways with my Oppo 203 due to needing quick funds for a conference this fall for my PhD studies

On the plus side the Xbox now supports Atmos and DTS X Bitstream so I can still watch my collection without much difference.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
mttpalmer likes this.
post #21966 of 28187 Old 09-05-2017, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Question What is THIS all about?!

Hey guys,

I've had an OLED65C6P since December of last year and have loved every moment of it... until yesterday. We got home from the Labor Day weekend and I noticed some really bad uneven blotches all over the picture. It's the actual display, not any of my devices. The blotches remain on the LG menus and screensaver images (the ones that show when there's no input detected).

I've tried using the noise removal feature multiple times, left it unplugged for a few hours, and even ran a burn-in fixing app in the Google Play Store on an Android TV device for 6+ hours, but nothing seems to help. The TV was off all weekend and it's plugged into a surge protector. It's not noticeable much during normal viewing (to the untrained eyes in my family, at least), but it's super obvious on uniformly-colored images. Check out these pics I took:

Image 1
Image 2

Any ideas on what's happening? I'm still within my 1-year warranty, but I *really* don't want to have to go through the RMA process. I've long since trashed all the packaging.

Thanks in advance!
post #21967 of 28187 Old 09-06-2017, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1special View Post
I read a bit more on the Spears & Munsil site about color calibration and found this interesting:

"If the display has a “blue-only” mode, the blue-only effect will almost certainly be applied after Color & Tint, but before the CMS. If the display has a CMS on/off control, try looking at the Color and Tint pattern with blue-only mode on, and CMS both off and on. There should be no difference. If there is no difference you can adjust Color and Tint without worrying if the CMS is on or off. Just turn on “blue only” mode, calibrate Color and Tint, then turn it off again. No filter is necessary."

Anyone know if this "blue-only" mode they are referring to is the same as using the TV's built-in blue color filter? I understand this to mean that if the TV has a blue only mode, it can be used to calibrate the Color setting with the standard color bars pattern.
When using the built in Blue color filter, you will notice that you cannot get the Red, Yellow, and Green color bars on the Color test pattern (From Spears and Munsil or AVS) to line up. And you'll notice that you have to increase your color setting up to 60 or beyond to get the blue boxes to equal out. That will result in an over-saturated color setting. If you like that, it's cool. For this set, you need a professional calibrator to do anything with the color and tint settings. Best to just leave them as is out of the box.

LG OLED65B6P | Denon - AVRX4300H | Panasonic - DMPUB900 | Xbox One S
post #21968 of 28187 Old 09-06-2017, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexg57 View Post
Hey guys,

I've had an OLED65C6P since December of last year and have loved every moment of it... until yesterday. We got home from the Labor Day weekend and I noticed some really bad uneven blotches all over the picture. It's the actual display, not any of my devices. The blotches remain on the LG menus and screensaver images (the ones that show when there's no input detected).

I've tried using the noise removal feature multiple times, left it unplugged for a few hours, and even ran a burn-in fixing app in the Google Play Store on an Android TV device for 6+ hours, but nothing seems to help. The TV was off all weekend and it's plugged into a surge protector. It's not noticeable much during normal viewing (to the untrained eyes in my family, at least), but it's super obvious on uniformly-colored images. Check out these pics I took:

Image 1
Image 2

Any ideas on what's happening? I'm still within my 1-year warranty, but I *really* don't want to have to go through the RMA process. I've long since trashed all the packaging.

Thanks in advance!
From your pictures and description it seems like it could be burn-in but hopefully this is not the case. I would contact LG ASAP.
post #21969 of 28187 Old 09-06-2017, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6680 Post(s)
Liked: 6675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2016 View Post
From your pictures and description it seems like it could be burn-in but hopefully this is not the case. I would contact LG ASAP.
I would describe it as a screen anomaly.....don't go saying its burn in as you are not a tech......Burn in is not covered under warranty.
post #21970 of 28187 Old 09-06-2017, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 31
quote=x7007;54750600]where did you see those grainy , blotches ? can you show screenshot or say which movie or video you saw it ?[/quote]

it happens on any movie with scenes with very dark areas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1506.jpg (927.8 KB, 112 views)
post #21971 of 28187 Old 09-06-2017, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Good afternoon.

I few weeks ago, i posted here about a problem i had with my 65'' B6.
The problem only happened during HDR movies, i could see some bright squares around letters or other forms.
After contact with LG, they replace my entire screen.

Until here, everything normal. but something i really what share is the new display.

Comparing against the original, the backside color is more lighter. The power switch in the original has 2 screws to hold. This new old doesn't .
the quality of this new panel, no licking, no blending, everything now is really black, uniform.

The duration of the swap was 30 minutes.

This makes me think, maybe LG is holding some best panels for replacement. If you think only customers which has compliant about PQ will open a ticket.

Marcelo
post #21972 of 28187 Old 09-06-2017, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
quote=x7007;54750600]where did you see those grainy , blotches ? can you show screenshot or say which movie or video you saw it ?
it happens on any movie with scenes with very dark areas.[/QUOTE]

Wow, looks like bad quality stream to me...similar quality i get from HBO...but yep brighness 50 or less seems to help a lot, atleast with netflix. But i don't think nothing helps if stream is bad quality like hbo is.
post #21973 of 28187 Old 09-06-2017, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
I would describe it as a screen anomaly.....don't go saying its burn in as you are not a tech......Burn in is not covered under warranty.
Pump the brakes man, I said it "could be" burn-in. Also I never claimed to be a tech or expert.
TrueDis likes this.
post #21974 of 28187 Old 09-06-2017, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked: 1882
Quote:
Pump the brakes man, I said it "could be" burn-in. Also I never claimed to be a tech or expert.
I think they were saying if you contact LG, don't call it burn in or they might not help you.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk
williamwallace likes this.

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HTCT780, Base PS4, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Sony UBP-X700, Atomos Ninja Inferno
Check out my video game movie edits
post #21975 of 28187 Old 09-06-2017, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1811 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Does anyone know if HLG is coming to the B6?

NAD 758 v3 with Dirac 7.4.4 + Rotel 976 + Panamax M5300-PM
Paradigm Prestige 75F's + 55C; 8x Paradigm CI Pro P65-R's
DIY MBMs: VRK Build thread + 2x Rotel 981 (bridged)
Sub: 2x Rythmik LVX12 + MiniDSP
DIY Room Treatments: Dutch Floral Prints
post #21976 of 28187 Old 09-06-2017, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcinnamon View Post
Does anyone know if HLG is coming to the B6?
We're all still waiting for it. There are a couple European sources that report (in other languages; see links a few days ago on this thread) that LG is currently testing a 05.XX.XX firmware update for the B6 that will bring HLG, like they've already released for the other 2016 OLEDs. Hard to imagine that after bringing HLG to the rest of the line-up that they wouldn't bring it to the most popular model.
post #21977 of 28187 Old 09-06-2017, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Seems like there's a big problem with the way this TV handles HDMI-CEC with receivers. If you only have a single device connected to the receiver, it will work fine, but whenever you have multiple devices connected, then no matter what you do, the TV will force the first device listed under the receiver input to turn on when switching to that HDMI input on the TV. The only way to bypass it seems to be to manually select the device in the list under the HDMI port.

Otherwise, if you simply select that HDMI port, it will automatically turn on the first device. If you turn on one of the other devices, that will trigger HDMI-CEC, which will cause the TV to switch to that HDMI port and then, again, turn on the first device.

This is incorrect behavior. When none of the receiver's devices are manually selected by the user on the TV's input menu, the TV should only switch to the HDMI port and display whatever is already there.

For example, on my receiver (connected to HDMI2), I have my PS4 and PS3 connected. The first device listed is the PS4, so even if I turn on my PS3, the PS4 turns on and then the receiver switches back to the PS4 input. If I turn off CEC on the PS4, it just automatically turns on the PS3 if I switch to HDMI2. I'm planning to buy a new 4K Blu-ray player soon, and so this will cause even more problems. I really don't want to turn off CEC, because it can be quite useful, but LG needs to fix this behavior.

EDIT: Just sent this message to LG along with this image. Hope they can fix this.

Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Sony UBP-X700, Atomos Ninja Inferno

Last edited by morphinapg; 09-06-2017 at 03:41 PM.
post #21978 of 28187 Old 09-06-2017, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Any idea if there is a way to adjust the picture type per input when coming through an AVR? Here is what I am trying to accomplish:

I have an AVR with My DirecTV, PS4 Pro and Apple tv all hooked up.

1) Apple TV I would like Cinema mode or Expert Dark Room to be active
2) PS4 Pro I Need game mode active (for the lower input lag)
3) Direct TV I would like Sports or Expert Dark to be active.

Without having to change the picture mode every time I switch devices. Probably unlikely, but though I'd ask
post #21979 of 28187 Old 09-06-2017, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s!ke View Post
Any idea if there is a way to adjust the picture type per input when coming through an AVR? Here is what I am trying to accomplish:

I have an AVR with My DirecTV, PS4 Pro and Apple tv all hooked up.

1) Apple TV I would like Cinema mode or Expert Dark Room to be active
2) PS4 Pro I Need game mode active (for the lower input lag)
3) Direct TV I would like Sports or Expert Dark to be active.

Without having to change the picture mode every time I switch devices. Probably unlikely, but though I'd ask
Yeah I was hoping the same. Doesn't seem possible as far as I can tell. However one thing that might help is if any devices only do basic Dolby Digital or DTS, then plug those devices in directly to the TV and let them send audio back through ARC or optical. That way you can set picture modes on those devices at least.

post #21980 of 28187 Old 09-06-2017, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsolutelyFree View Post
When using the built in Blue color filter, you will notice that you cannot get the Red, Yellow, and Green color bars on the Color test pattern (From Spears and Munsil or AVS) to line up. And you'll notice that you have to increase your color setting up to 60 or beyond to get the blue boxes to equal out. That will result in an over-saturated color setting. If you like that, it's cool. For this set, you need a professional calibrator to do anything with the color and tint settings. Best to just leave them as is out of the box.
Thanks again.

I adjusted color back down to 50 and I agree, that it looks more natural and realistic that way with most content (some content looks undersatured).

LG OLED65B6P
post #21981 of 28187 Old 09-06-2017, 11:50 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
I'm quite sure it's *not* burn-in. The blotches don't look like anything that would be burned in (say, the geometric shape of a static logo), but moreso, I only noticed the issue after the TV was off all weekend. So you're right, I won't mention burn-in to LG.

I bought the TV from you guys last year. Hopefully LG makes everything as easy as you did!
post #21982 of 28187 Old 09-07-2017, 12:51 AM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Good news for European B owners. My set just got a OTA update 05.30.03 and it seems to have HLG. There is no info about other improvements or about this update at the LG site yet .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (323.5 KB, 117 views)
NashGuy and nachiketjagade like this.

LG OLED 55B6V, Finnsat FST03PVR, Toshiba 1T HDD, Genelec 6010B, BK XLS200-DF MK2
JVC DLA-X35BE, PS3, Apple TV3, Yamaha RX-V383, Tannoy Mercury F2, Tannoy Mercury F1, BK Monolith
post #21983 of 28187 Old 09-07-2017, 01:36 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by northrob View Post
Good news for European B owners. My set just got a OTA update 05.30.03 and it seems to have HLG. There is no info about other improvements or about this update at the LG site yet .
That's great!! Any other changes you've noticed?
post #21984 of 28187 Old 09-07-2017, 01:41 AM

Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Nice, i think you are from Finland also so it's probably coming for me too when i open tv.
post #21985 of 28187 Old 09-07-2017, 01:54 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
According to some members of Tweakers.net (Dutch website) the OTA is also available in The Netherlands.
Haven't checked mine yet.
post #21986 of 28187 Old 09-07-2017, 01:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexg57 View Post
I'm quite sure it's *not* burn-in. The blotches don't look like anything that would be burned in (say, the geometric shape of a static logo), but moreso, I only noticed the issue after the TV was off all weekend. So you're right, I won't mention burn-in to LG.

I bought the TV from you guys last year. Hopefully LG makes everything as easy as you did!
I had a thought. Does your tv sit in a place where sun could have been shining on the screen for a while? I believe some people were mentioning issues with that earlier.

post #21987 of 28187 Old 09-07-2017, 03:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked: 667
Quote:
Is hdr game mode still dark?
post #21988 of 28187 Old 09-07-2017, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Check to see if there were any changes to HDR Game mode please.
post #21989 of 28187 Old 09-07-2017, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercennarius View Post
Check to see if there were any changes to HDR Game mode please.
Sorry guys, I don`t have any external HDR capable device with HDMI so I can`t check the HDR Game mode. I`m sure someone can help you soon after they have their TVs updated.

LG OLED 55B6V, Finnsat FST03PVR, Toshiba 1T HDD, Genelec 6010B, BK XLS200-DF MK2
JVC DLA-X35BE, PS3, Apple TV3, Yamaha RX-V383, Tannoy Mercury F2, Tannoy Mercury F1, BK Monolith
post #21990 of 28187 Old 09-07-2017, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6680 Post(s)
Liked: 6675
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post
I think they were saying if you contact LG, don't call it burn in or they might not help you.

That is correct, I was saying if you contact LG, don't call it burn in or they might not help you. No reason to try to guess what the issue is as you are not a TV tech People sometimes tell on themselves without realizing it......
williamwallace and no1special like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
arc , C6-B6 , calibration , computer , desktop , firmware update , lg c6 pc sdr hdr , lg oled , monitor , oled , oled b6 , oled lg , screen damage , screen uniformity , settings , soundbar , there is sig

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page