2016 LG C6-B6 owners thread - Page 749 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 264104Likes

post #22441 of 27945 Old 09-19-2017, 05:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 111
2016 LG C6-B6 owners thread

I have the old update that why I'm asking and on my tv contrast and OLED light had an affect on my tv lower OLED light reduced the issues with the 168 nit calibration.

It's not apparent on my 146nit calibration. So at least on the old version it can be corrected with a calibration unless what I am experiencing isn't glow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LGOLED77G7P/65B6P - Oppo 203
Denon X6300H/Onkyo Tx NR3030; Atlona HDR HDBaseT
Klipsch 7.1.4
R-3800-W II Fronts ; R-5502-W II Center
RS-42 II Surrounds ; CDT-3800-C II Heights, R-112SW Subs

Last edited by jayraysaiz; 09-19-2017 at 05:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22442 of 27945 Old 09-19-2017, 05:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyM View Post
Two weeks ago tomorrow I had my 55C6P professionally calibrated by Chad B.

I highly recommend this to anyone! IMHO it is worth every penny (which, relatively speaking, isn't all that bad considering the cost of these TVs).

It made a huge difference to my eye, especially since mine had quite a bit of green push out of the box. 0% blacks look "off" to me and it comes out of black very nicely now. FYI...he did not need to go into the service menu.

A couple of notes:

I'm on the latest firmware and Chad wasn't thrilled with new darker HDR Game mode either. This is a non-issue to me right now since I'm not a gamer save for the occasional racing game on my old PS3. He did calibrate that mode though and set Dynamic Contrast to "Medium" as a workaround.

Also, Dolby Vision mode can't be calibrated on the 2016 sets so he recommended that I watch Netflix on the app in my Sony X-800 player (which does not support DV) instead of the built-in LG WebOS app. I can still get the HDR10 component that way which looks fine to me.
Wow! There really should have been separate owners threads for the B and C since they have different chipsets, software and issues.
john fusco and Ricker62 like this.

LG OLED55C6P, Panasonic UB-820, Sony UBP-X800, Zidoo X9S, Denon AVR-X3400H, vintage Carver M1.0T amp, Axiom M60v3 Mains & VP100 Center, Original SVS 20-39pci Cylinder sub, Phase Tech Surrounds & 2 Polk RC60i Atmos. Desktop system: Fully restored (by me) vintage Marantz 2275 stereo receiver from 1976 driving a pair of Axiom M2v3's, BIC 10" Sub.
post #22443 of 27945 Old 09-19-2017, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyM View Post
Two weeks ago tomorrow I had my 55C6P professionally calibrated by Chad B.

I highly recommend this to anyone! IMHO it is worth every penny (which, relatively speaking, isn't all that bad considering the cost of these TVs).

It made a huge difference to my eye, especially since mine had quite a bit of green push out of the box. 0% blacks look "off" to me and it comes out of black very nicely now. FYI...he did not need to go into the service menu.

A couple of notes:

I'm on the latest firmware and Chad wasn't thrilled with new darker HDR Game mode either. This is a non-issue to me right now since I'm not a gamer save for the occasional racing game on my old PS3. He did calibrate that mode though and set Dynamic Contrast to "Medium" as a workaround.

Also, Dolby Vision mode can't be calibrated on the 2016 sets so he recommended that I watch Netflix on the app in my Sony X-800 player (which does not support DV) instead of the built-in LG WebOS app. I can still get the HDR10 component that way which looks fine to me.

What does this mean? It has all the same calibration settings that regular HDR10 does...by making small adjustments I was able to get much improved picture quality on mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22444 of 27945 Old 09-19-2017, 07:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlj11 View Post
The black glow with 05.30.03 cannot be fixed with any adjustment, regardless if it is in the service-menue or the normal one. I tried everything with no success, only a downgrade helped here. My blacks are perfect again, honestly I dont need HLG now as it is not really present anywhere (except some demos). Everyone with glowing blacks has to contact LG and let them know that this problem exists, otherwise we wont see an update...

If anybody is on twitter (I am not), please tell Vincent Teoh from hdtvtest about this problem. He has good contacts to them and his words have much more weight than ours...
How were you able to downgrade? Did you have to modify the updater to recognize our past software or does it find it some how?
post #22445 of 27945 Old 09-19-2017, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Nice to see Microsoft taking measures to prevent burn in and image retention when using their console.

"In the Xbox One's 1710 update, Microsoft introduced new screen dimmer features to the console. Some of these features include large notifications that let you view invites at a glance, when you might not be paying attention to the TV, but also, a special technique designed to prevent against OLED burn-in and other types of image retention.

By enabling the new Xbox One screen dimmer, it will induce a screensaver of sorts, that not only defends against burn-in over longer periods of time but also "scrubs" image retention from the screen.

This technique was designed specifically by the team at Xbox to combat image retention and burn-in, and for those picking up OLEDs, enabling the screen dimmer will go a long way to extending the longevity of your set."

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-x...ed-tv-burn?amp
Jrocker23 and OwnerOfLg like this.

LG OLED55B6P ~ PS4 Pro ~ Xbox One X ~ Apple TV 4K ~ PSN/XBL: firesamu
post #22446 of 27945 Old 09-19-2017, 08:00 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I have a manual how to do it, found it on a german forum. Works perfectly, but had some troubles before I found my small error. It is a little complicated....
But the manual is german so I think it does not help you But there is a manual here on the forum, dont know where exactly you can find it. Some users tried the downgrade and it worked
post #22447 of 27945 Old 09-19-2017, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncanny View Post
Quote:
Everyone with glowing blacks has to contact LG and let them know that this problem exists, otherwise we wont see an update...
This! This is a problem that LG created. They need to own this issue and put out a fix for it. I've already emailed LG and reached out through Twitter. The more people we have doing this, the better the chance we have of getting a fix more quickly.
I'm working on em!
post #22448 of 27945 Old 09-19-2017, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
I have a manual how to do it, found it on a german forum. Works perfectly, but had some troubles before I found my small error. It is a little complicated....
But the manual is german so I think it does not help you But there is a manual here on the forum, dont know where exactly you can find it. Some users tried the downgrade and it worked
Ok, thanks. Hopefully LG fixes this, but if they don't hopefully some one on here comes up with a way of doing this.
post #22449 of 27945 Old 09-19-2017, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6317 Post(s)
Liked: 6321
[quote=Superman23;54819808]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking 29 View Post
Let me know if it works so I can maybe then upgrade to the new firmware too!
LOL, be my Guinea pig...
post #22450 of 27945 Old 09-19-2017, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1193
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy Logan View Post
I personally think people are overestimating the glow. Before the update, a brightness of 51 meant the pixels were OFF on my set. Now there is a very slight glow at 51, but setting the display to 50 makes it completely imperceptible with real world usage. I know it's bothersome from a psychological perspective, but to notice any amount of glow would require you to sit in a pitch black room watching a pure black image for at least 15 seconds.

Completely agree.
Bleeding Edge and SinGA like this.
post #22451 of 27945 Old 09-19-2017, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 1071
Wow!

Ok, now I have to add my bit to this discussion. I just went back a week to the first post here about the "black glow" and read forward. The discussion has been interesting (or somewhat interesting), but for the most part I'm not seeing a clear reason that most people (except those of the "if LG claims perfect black level then they MUST provide perfect black level" ilk) would be concerned about any "black glow". It happens that a few days ago my B6 updated to the latest FW automatically. I've been looking for any "black glow" issues in normal content but have seen no reason at all to be concerned. While I can view in pretty damn dark conditions, I don't view in a dead black room. And I'm not a gamer, so "don't care".

Now the real reason for this post -- I also noted that some have said the 05.30.03 firmware has included an "unannounced" and therefore "unofficial" upgrade for HLG. Today I downloaded that HLG demo that @sechev00 and others provided ( http://4kmedia.org/lg-cymatic-jazz-hdr-hlg-uhd-4k-demo/ ) and was absolutely blown away! I have numerous HDR UHDs (including Deadpool and other so-called "reference" discs) and I have the DV demos, and I have never seen an HDR level as outstanding as this jazz demo. (I have yet to see a DV UHD, so no comparison on that yet available.) The depth of color, the vast array of color, and the varying light intensities have never been displayed in such spectacular splendor! It's difficult to point to particular images since this quality is on display throughout the demo, but I especially noted the effects in the splashing bubbles and the flickering flames. But even those single-color paint splashes appear with such multiple tone and luminance variations that they were dazzling and three dimensional. It is simply difficult to describe. This is what HDR is supposed to be. IMO, it's is worth getting the FW update just to be able to view and show this demo regardless of any supposed "black glow".

Keep in mind that this was viewed in a bright, sunlit room. I first watched the demo from my OPPO which did NOT provide the HLG output. Then I changed to the USB on the LGB6. The "HLG HDR" bubble popped up in the upper right corner and the change was immediately noticeable -- did not require an A/B to see it. Even when I called my wife (who just don't care) in to see the demo, she immediately exclaimed over how beautiful the image was and could see those amazing variations. To use the word "kalaidescope" in this description would be a disservice to HLG. I always thought that HLG would somehow be a lesser quality of HDR, but this certainly is NOT lesser. Why do I care since there is no broadcast HDR service in the US? Because this HLG demo is worth having no matter what and because we have a technologically leading-edge TV station in our area that will probably be one of the first to provide HLG broadcasts -- even if it takes a few more years.

So YMMV, but for MY B6 panel and MY satisfaction, the 05.30.03 FW update is well worthwhile. And this HLG demo is now top of my list to show off my system. (That includes the sound system -- even without Atmos/DTS:X, the audio is marvelous and I'm not even a great fan of jazz!)

Atmos/DTS:X HT in Vaulted Room -- LG OLED Settings Options
Yamaha RX-A3060: 7.2.4 or 7.2.2 + Zone2 (switchable); OPPO 203; LG OLED65B6P; Harmony 650 & Home Hub
Base: Mirage OM-6 (FLR), MC-si (C), OM-R2 (SLR), FRx-nine (BLR)
Presence: ELAC A4s (FP), RSL C34Es (RP); 2 aci Titan subs; RP amp: AudioSource AMP100VS

Last edited by richlife; 09-19-2017 at 09:56 AM.
post #22452 of 27945 Old 09-19-2017, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by richlife View Post
Ok, now I have to add my bit to this discussion. I just went back a week to the first post here about the "black glow" and read forward. The discussion has been interesting (or somewhat interesting), but for the most part I'm not seeing a clear reason that most people (except those of the "if LG claims perfect black level then they MUST provide perfect black level" ilk) would be concerned about any "black glow"
You should have bought an LCD then & saved yourself some money!

Quote:
It happens that a few days ago my B6 updated to the latest FW automatically. I've been looking for any "black glow" issues in normal content but have seen no reason at all to be concerned. While I can view in pretty damn dark conditions, I don't view in a dead black room. And I'm not a gamer, so "don't care".
Well I do view in a dark room & I'm a gamer & I do care! I bought an OLED because OLED have one & only one advantage over LCD & Plasma, perfect black & infinite contrast. I paid a premium for this & LG just screwed me & thousands more over there main selling point.
dlj11 likes this.
post #22453 of 27945 Old 09-19-2017, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1193
You still have perfect blacks when playing in the dark. You only will not have perfect blacks when you are in the dark with a pure black screen running for long enough to allow your visual system to enter a state where the slightest perception of a glow is possible from close to the screen....
post #22454 of 27945 Old 09-19-2017, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
You still have perfect blacks when playing in the dark. You only will not have perfect blacks when you are in the dark with a pure black screen running for long enough to allow your visual system to enter a state where the slightest perception of a glow is possible from close to the screen....

No.

I notice immediately when I turn on my TV that the picture is more washed out & hazy looking. If a scene in a film is pure black, I can tell it is slightly glowing.
post #22455 of 27945 Old 09-19-2017, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
This is completely false and we should not be making excuses for LG botching the PQ with this latest firmware. The bottom line is the screen DID produce perfect black before the update and it DOES NOT after the update.

This is touted as the defining feature of OLED displays over competing technologies and the B6 with this latest firmware can no longer deliver that.
nodixe and dlj11 like this.
post #22456 of 27945 Old 09-19-2017, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Can somebody please tell me some basic calibration settings for a B6?

Thanks so much!
post #22457 of 27945 Old 09-19-2017, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 81
They said perfect blacks and now we don't have them, well I think we should get our money back, they promised something that no longer exists.the only way to get perfect black now is with backlight.

LG 55B7-Panasonic TX-P55VT60Y-Panasonic UB700-Sony BDP-S6500-Pioneer BDP-120 Region Free.Philips Fidelio x2.
post #22458 of 27945 Old 09-19-2017, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonclarkccnp View Post

Thanks so much!
here you go

jonclarkccnp and sechev00 like this.

Living Room: LG 65C8, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
Bedroom: LG 55C6P, LG Soundbar NB3530A, Xbox One X
Link to LG C8PUA Firmware https://www.lg.com/us/support-produc...5C8PUA#manuals
Link to LG UH8500 & C6 Firmware http://www.lg.com/us/support-product...D55C6P#manuals
post #22459 of 27945 Old 09-19-2017, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:

Thanks so much!
Yes, I can, ISF dark for dark room, put oled light at 30-40 and your good to go and turn off TruMotion.if you want better get it pro calibrated.
jonclarkccnp likes this.

LG 55B7-Panasonic TX-P55VT60Y-Panasonic UB700-Sony BDP-S6500-Pioneer BDP-120 Region Free.Philips Fidelio x2.
post #22460 of 27945 Old 09-19-2017, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Ok, now I have to add my bit to this discussion. I just went back a week to the first post here about the "black glow" and read forward. The discussion has been interesting (or somewhat interesting), but for the most part I'm not seeing a clear reason that most people (except those of the "if LG claims perfect black level then they MUST provide perfect black level" ilk) would be concerned about any "black glow". It happens that a few days ago my B6 updated to the latest FW automatically. I've been looking for any "black glow" issues in normal content but have seen no reason at all to be concerned. While I can view in pretty damn dark conditions, I don't view in a dead black room. And I'm not a gamer, so "don't care".

Now the real reason for this post -- I also noted that some have said the 05.30.03 firmware has included an "unannounced" and therefore "unofficial" upgrade for HLG. Today I downloaded that HLG demo that @sechev00 and others provided ( http://4kmedia.org/lg-cymatic-jazz-hdr-hlg-uhd-4k-demo/ ) and was absolutely blown away! I have numerous HDR UHDs (including Deadpool and other so-called "reference" discs) and I have the DV demos, and I have never seen an HDR level as outstanding as this jazz demo. (I have yet to see a DV UHD, so no comparison on that yet available.) The depth of color, the vast array of color, and the varying light intensities have never been displayed in such spectacular splendor! It's difficult to point to particular images since this quality is on display throughout the demo, but I especially noted the effects in the splashing bubbles and the flickering flames. But even those single-color paint splashes appear with such multiple tone and luminance variations that they were dazzling and three dimensional. It is simply difficult to describe. This is what HDR is supposed to be. IMO, it's is worth getting the FW update just to be able to view and show this demo regardless of any supposed "black glow".

Keep in mind that this was viewed in a bright, sunlit room. I first watched the demo from my OPPO which did NOT provide the HLG output. Then I changed to the USB on the LGB6. The "HLG HDR" bubble popped up in the upper right corner and the change was immediately noticeable -- did not require an A/B to see it. Even when I called my wife (who just don't care) in to see the demo, she immediately exclaimed over how beautiful the image was and could see those amazing variations. To use the word "kalaidescope" in this description would be a disservice to HLG. I always thought that HLG would somehow be a lesser quality of HDR, but this certainly is NOT lesser. Why do I care since there is no broadcast HDR service in the US? Because this HLG demo is worth having no matter what and because we have a technologically leading-edge TV station in our area that will probably be one of the first to provide HLG broadcasts -- even if it takes a few more years.

So YMMV, but for MY B6 panel and MY satisfaction, the 05.30.03 FW update is well worthwhile. And this HLG demo is now top of my list to show off my system. (That includes the sound system -- even without Atmos/DTS:X, the audio is marvelous and I'm not even a great fan of jazz!)
I agree this demo was the best looking thing i ever saw with this tv. I don't have uhd player yet myself.
sechev00 likes this.
post #22461 of 27945 Old 09-19-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnerOfLg View Post
I agree this demo was the best looking thing i ever saw with this tv. I don't have uhd player yet myself.
How can you play the demo file on a USB?

The download is a zip file, when unzipped the file is a .ts extension. Does it need converting?
post #22462 of 27945 Old 09-19-2017, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 918 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Quote:

The download is a zip file, when unzipped the file is a .ts extension. Does it need converting?
Nope. Just put in on a USB flash drive, plug it into the TV and go to the TV's Photos & Videos app and play it there.
jonclarkccnp likes this.
post #22463 of 27945 Old 09-19-2017, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
watching HLG UHD video on LG B6

Quote:

I don't know if it was mentioned in a previous message, but you can watch it via LG's YouTube channel via keyword search: "LG: Cymatic Jazz HDR HLG UHD 4K Demo"
post #22464 of 27945 Old 09-19-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufftechfan View Post
I don't know if it was mentioned in a previous message, but you can watch it via LG's YouTube channel via keyword search: "LG: Cymatic Jazz HDR HLG UHD 4K Demo"
So does Youtube support HLG then?
post #22465 of 27945 Old 09-19-2017, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Seeing the variety of feedback in this forum, it sounds to me like some sets may be more prone to the glow than others (just like every other aspect of the picture can vary a bit from set to set), and thus more impacted by this update. Some users may also just be more sensitive to issues of this nature than others are. It's apparent that a number of users don't see the glow on their sets at all unless they're staring at a pure black screen in the dark for a long time, but on my set, it's definitely noticeable during standard black transitions between scenes and on some credit rolls, regardless of brightness settings. It's certainly not the end of the world, but it's definitely a downgrade from the prior firmware, and there's no real excuse for making picture quality worse (even in minor ways) with a firmware update. I highly doubt the elevated MLL was necessary to implement HLG in any way, so it should be perfectly feasible to provide a firmware that has both HLG support and the perfect blacks that OLED is known for.

Whether the glow is significant enough to be noticeable on your set or not, I think it's in all of our interests to hold LG's feet to the fire on this issue to discourage them from pushing faulty updates in the future. Just because this issue doesn't necessarily impact all sets or users doesn't mean it should be excused or set aside.
richlife, nodixe, dlj11 and 2 others like this.
post #22466 of 27945 Old 09-19-2017, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 474
Quote:
So dlj11 is the only one that has downgraded so far?

Benq HT3550/LG OLED65B6P /Panny UB820 4k Bluray/Apple TV 4k
Nvidia Shield/HDFury AVRkey/Samsung HW-K950 Soundbar
post #22467 of 27945 Old 09-19-2017, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Has any one had any feed back from LG on a possible FW fix?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LGOLED77G7P/65B6P - Oppo 203
Denon X6300H/Onkyo Tx NR3030; Atlona HDR HDBaseT
Klipsch 7.1.4
R-3800-W II Fronts ; R-5502-W II Center
RS-42 II Surrounds ; CDT-3800-C II Heights, R-112SW Subs
post #22468 of 27945 Old 09-19-2017, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbs47 View Post
Quote:
So dlj11 is the only one that has downgraded so far?
It seems like a complicated process and I'm pretty savvy on this stuff. I guess if I have to I can try it eventually.
post #22469 of 27945 Old 09-19-2017, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Can someone please provide a list of URLs (websites) to block these TVs from "phoning home" about our viewing activity, but still allow normal functionality?

There was an issue some LG TVs had a few years back where they were scanning file names on people's devices on their network and sending that info back to LG.

LG OLED65B6P
post #22470 of 27945 Old 09-19-2017, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

My thoughts exactly! Well said!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
arc , C6-B6 , calibration , computer , desktop , firmware update , lg c6 pc sdr hdr , lg oled , monitor , oled , oled b6 , oled lg , screen damage , screen uniformity , settings , soundbar , there is sig

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page