2016 LG C6-B6 owners thread - Page 81 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 264230Likes

post #2401 of 28275 Old 07-28-2016, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcarboost View Post
The posterization is not that big of a deal to me but it's there and obvious. The subpar motion handling is a big deal to me and that would not be an issue on a Sony. I'm sure of that.

I have a big problem with the black crush and near black issues. It crushes blacks pretty hard. You shouldn't really have to get your set calibrated to eliminate or minimize significant black crush. I have a problem with the fact that it makes subpar cable sources look a lot worse than other tv's do. You can a/b a lot of these issues and see them on other tv's but you notice them a lot less because the OLED's exacerbate these issues.

As I've said before, when it looks good, it's the best picture I've ever seen but more often than not, I'm looking at something that looks worse because of the aforementioned issues. I was leaning towards dealing with it but the Sony Z9D seems to be a viable choice for a replacement that would make me happy. We will see. I still have a little over a month on my E6 if I want to return or exchange. That should give me enough time to hear some early feedback on the Z9D.
Get rid of it, it clearly isn't for you. You'll be obviously much happier with another tech.
Ken Ross and macmane like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2402 of 28275 Old 07-28-2016, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 7378 Post(s)
Liked: 8256
Quote:
The posterization is not that big of a deal to me but it's there and obvious. The subpar motion handling is a big deal to me and that would not be an issue on a Sony. I'm sure of that.

I have a big problem with the black crush and near black issues. It crushes blacks pretty hard. You shouldn't really have to get your set calibrated to eliminate or minimize significant black crush. I have a problem with the fact that it makes subpar cable sources look a lot worse than other tv's do. You can a/b a lot of these issues and see them on other tv's but you notice them a lot less because the OLED's exacerbate these issues.

As I've said before, when it looks good, it's the best picture I've ever seen but more often than not, I'm looking at something that looks worse because of the aforementioned issues. I was leaning towards dealing with it but the Sony Z9D seems to be a viable choice for a replacement that would make me happy. We will see. I still have a little over a month on my E6 if I want to return or exchange. That should give me enough time to hear some early feedback on the Z9D.
I totally disagree with this. I've compared so many of the popular broadcast shows I receive on Directv, with all of its compression and bit starving, and I find the OLED picture superior to that same picture on my Sony 940c.

Personally I've taken all the tired, old generalizations (Sony has the best upscaling, picture processing, color etc. and LG's upscaling, processing, bla bla bla, is crap) and put these to the test. I find them to be false. Perhaps they were true in the past, I don't know. I've compared these two UHD displays in my own house, those who keep touting these generalizations as fact, haven't.

If you switch to the Z9D (and you probably will) you will have to deal with the issues inherent in LCD that don't exist with OLED. Some of those don't bother me as much as others (blooming & viewing angle), but many are bothered by them. Either way, I don't see why you'd even contemplate holding on to the E. You didn't like the B and you don't like the E. You'd probably be happier with a 940c, 940d or the pricier Z9D. I think you should even consider holding on to your 929 and just waiting a couple of years.

BTW, I had a 929 several years ago and returned it because of uniformity issues I couldn't live with. We all have our hot buttons.

Good luck.
gtaylor0, Latinoheat and Madmax67 like this.
post #2403 of 28275 Old 07-28-2016, 12:59 PM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6774 Post(s)
Liked: 6784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
The Z9D LCD may be the right choice for you.
We will see how it plays out, not to mention we have to compare pricing then too. Some sets are just not worth buying. Like the Samsung UN75KS9000, that set is edge lit and is more money than the 940D....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2404 of 28275 Old 07-28-2016, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 16
So I just took delivery of a new receiver (Marantz NR1606) and I'm hoping you guys could give me some input on the best approach for hooking up my components. I have the following:

DirecTV 4K Genie
Samsung BluRay (Not UHD - I have a Philips BDP7501 coming tomorrow)
Apple TV
and of course the internal apps on my LG B6

Is it considered best to always connect sources directly to the TV? How about audio - does ARC bring any limitations or should I attempt to connect audio direct to the receiver?

Thanks for the help.
post #2405 of 28275 Old 07-28-2016, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGATRON 631 View Post
I've been the owner of a 65" c6 for almost 4 weeks now so I'll give my 2 cents for anyone on the fence. No major issues with the set, but I'm another person a bit disappointed with the just above black performance, as well as what seems to be an over exaggeration of any noise in the picture.

Don't understand me wrong, the TV does almost everything phenomenally. I'm coming from a panny vt60 and a kuro elite 9th gen before that, and I think the c6 oled out performs both on many levels.

Where the c6 fails mainly for me is cable TV. The set is very unforgiving of noise and compression, and the additional upscaling sub 1080p to 4k is not handled particularly well. I've seen my father's 2014 panny lcd upscale much better, with many fewer compression artifacts. As I mentioned, the c6 also seems to exaggerate noise, and film grain as well.

However, well made 1080p and 4k discs look amazing, as well as do video games. Hopefully HDR input lag isn't bad, as I'm looking forward to xbox one s and hdr gaming. I'm still 50/50 as to whether I'm keeping the set or returning it. One one hand, HDR is amazing and the TV does so much nearly flawless. One the other, there are still some deficiencies that I don't expect at a premium price, and for the price may not be justified just yet. I may take this back for a vizio p series to hold me over with hdr and the 10 bit panel for another couple of years until LG figures out their processing or another manufacturer gets into the OLED game.

Im not a fan of 3d, but 3d is outrageously cool on this set. If you're a fan of 3d, jump on board!

Btw, my set has not been professionally calibrated, but not sure if this would help the just above black performance or help reduce noise.
I wen't to a hifi boutique to check out the B6 they just received a week ago (I'm in Canada) and I had the same impression about noise and exaggerated film grain.

I brought blu-ray movies to check it out, like the Matrix and Aliens and those have film grain and I was a bit disappointed about that "look". It was better when I saw that sharpness was at 10 and set it up to 0, but still. (after changing the ISF dark that said) I also have a Panasonic Plasma at home so I'm used to that "picture" so that might also be it, a change of habit.

I then checked a Panasonic LCD (CX850) with the same movie and the picture looked more like my plasma... but then I realize that LCD tech also have their quirks with backlight and all...

So Megatron, if you return your C6 and get a Vizio P series, I would be interested to have your impressions.
treky11 likes this.
post #2406 of 28275 Old 07-28-2016, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked: 688
I am hearing a lot about OLED not looking so good with cable, and while I care how BluRay looks more I still watch mostly FIOS these days and I worry that many FIOS channels might not look as good on an OLED as they do on my KURO. Even on the KURO some look like crap sometimes, but most of what I watch usually looks pretty satisfyingly good unless I have literally just watched a BluRay than I can see how it pales in comparison. But the majority of the time I am very happy with how cable looks with my 111FD and even if the B6 is 1000 times better with BR it would be disappointing if the B6 isn't as good with cable. I don't really know what to think here...
post #2407 of 28275 Old 07-28-2016, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1113 Post(s)
Liked: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader1 View Post
I am hearing a lot about OLED not looking so good with cable, and while I care how BluRay looks more I still watch mostly FIOS these days and I worry that many FIOS channels might not look as good on an OLED as they do on my KURO. Even on the KURO some look like crap sometimes, but most of what I watch usually looks pretty satisfyingly good unless I have literally just watched a BluRay than I can see how it pales in comparison. But the majority of the time I am very happy with how cable looks with my 111FD and even if the B6 is 1000 times better with BR it would be disappointing if the B6 isn't as good with cable. I don't really know what to think here...
Buy it if u don't like it return it it'd simple
Cam1977 likes this.
post #2408 of 28275 Old 07-28-2016, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I watch predominantly HBO HD and have no complaints. I do see where the picture quality concerns arise, but not enough for me to consider an LCD again.

I would say I watch a healthy mix though, and the 3D, HDR and standard Blu Ray movie quality makes up for any scene on cable that makes me question the decision to go OLED.
post #2409 of 28275 Old 07-28-2016, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmane View Post
I wouldn't return it because I doubt anything would be better, except maybe a high end Sony LCD but it will still be an LCD with very limited viewing angles. It's just disappointing that high end Plasma is still the best for lower quality content. I will just buy it and enjoy the good content and than wait or hope that broadcasting standards don't take forever to improve.
post #2410 of 28275 Old 07-28-2016, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 3066 Post(s)
Liked: 3786
Quote:

Wow...crushing blacks pretty hard...I Respectfully disagree with you...maybe it's the settings your using, but the black crush is not as bad as you make it out to be, I've done comparisons with my plasma...f8500, and the crush is minimal, sometimes not even noticable...maybe Oled ain't for you...and I'm sure if you switch you will find something you won't like. In the end if the crush was so bad you would definitely see more people on here complaining about it.
Ken Ross and Gillietalls like this.
post #2411 of 28275 Old 07-28-2016, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
^^^This.
post #2412 of 28275 Old 07-28-2016, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanH View Post
So I just took delivery of a new receiver (Marantz NR1606) and I'm hoping you guys could give me some input on the best approach for hooking up my components. I have the following:

DirecTV 4K Genie
Samsung BluRay (Not UHD - I have a Philips BDP7501 coming tomorrow)
Apple TV
and of course the internal apps on my LG B6

Is it considered best to always connect sources directly to the TV? How about audio - does ARC bring any limitations or should I attempt to connect audio direct to the receiver?

Thanks for the help.
If you can get Audio Working through HDMI (either direct HDMI or through ARC) you have the potential to get better sound than through Optical/RCA SPDIF because those are limited to lossy formats or 2 Channel.

It somewhat depends on your sources and your receiver.

LG - OLED65C6P
All Meridian Audio System with DSP-6000 Mains
TIVO Series 3 HD - OTA
Philips UHD BluRay BDP-7501
Harmony Elite Remote
post #2413 of 28275 Old 07-28-2016, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Cool.
post #2414 of 28275 Old 07-28-2016, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
This is what worries me the most about buying online. Not so much that you can't return it if you don't like it, I have checked out the C6 and B6 locally and know I like them. I'm more concerned about getting a panel that has an issue on it, be it banding or scratches or whatever. Even going through Amazon or another reputable online store like the forum sponsor that is mentioned so often concerns me. Amazon will only allow so many returns before they cut you off and my understanding is that CP only will allow returns if you find a problem when the TV is very first delivered. The savings just from tax are a fair amount so I'm still leaning that way. How is LG in regards to warranty replacements? I would assume that at a certain point LG says enough is enough if you keep seeing issues with replacement after replacement.
post #2415 of 28275 Old 07-28-2016, 09:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
Wow...crushing blacks pretty hard...I Respectfully disagree with you...maybe it's the settings your using, but the black crush is not as bad as you make it out to be, I've done comparisons with my plasma...f8500, and the crush is minimal, sometimes not even noticable...maybe Oled ain't for you...and I'm sure if you switch you will find something you won't like. In the end if the crush was so bad you would definitely see more people on here complaining about it.

He was using a sharpness of 18 and complaining about added grain. I have no doubt the black crush is caused by his settings.
Cam1977 likes this.
post #2416 of 28275 Old 07-28-2016, 09:11 PM

Quote:
For every person that says they think OLED doesn't look as good with cable as LCD, there are many others who would dispute that. IMO, satellite looks better on my OLED than my Sony. We just watched an episode of House of Cards on Netflix, and that too looks better on my OLED.

The only way to tell is to see it for yourself. If you can't and you're genuinely interested, then buy it from a retailer where you can easily return it if you don't like it.
Cam1977 likes this.
post #2417 of 28275 Old 07-28-2016, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Has anyone found a way to display bitrate etc information when using inbuilt streaming apps like netflix and amazon? Is there a way to add that command to harmony?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

My Build Thread
HT - Seymour Centerstage XD 2.39:1 133" W| JVC X790R | Denon AVR | QSC DPA 4.2 | ATI AT528NC | Procella P8/P5V | Revel C763L | Rythmik FV15HP x2
Living Room - LG OLED 65" | Yamaha 2060 | Monolith 3x200 | KEF Q900 L/R | Paradigm Millenia 20 CC | Polk Surrounds | Monolith 12" Subs x 2
post #2418 of 28275 Old 07-28-2016, 09:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Is there no way to get HBO Go on webos?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #2419 of 28275 Old 07-28-2016, 09:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
For every person that says they think OLED doesn't look as good with cable as LCD, there are many others who would dispute that. IMO, satellite looks better on my OLED than my Sony. We just watched an episode of House of Cards on Netflix, and that too looks better on my OLED.

The only way to tell is to see it for yourself. If you can't and you're genuinely interested, then buy it from a retailer where you can easily return it if you don't like it.
I would probably never return it because of how FIOS looked if I genuinely love watching BluRay and UHD content. It's just disappointing a little to hear high end Plasma is still best for lower content, but it's true like you say not everybody feels that way and maybe I wont find it so bad. It's really less of the fault of OLED and more just broadcasting standards need to improve and hopefully that happens sometime not too far.

And I cannot imagine LCD really is better except for like I said the high end Sony sets with their upscaling and processing, but I am not going to buy LCD because of outstanding processing even though the x940c did impress the hell out of me but I would have to get the 65 inch 930c and that has edge light dimming so forget it.
post #2420 of 28275 Old 07-28-2016, 09:42 PM

^ Well remember my comparisons are between that very same 940c you mentioned and my B6. The picture on the Sony is great, but the OLED is just better.
Gillietalls, Madmax67 and Cam1977 like this.
post #2421 of 28275 Old 07-28-2016, 09:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
^ Well remember my comparisons are between that very same 940c you mentioned and my B6. The picture on the Sony is great, but he OLED is just better.
^^^This. Can't get anymore unbiased than this to be honest☺
post #2422 of 28275 Old 07-28-2016, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 44
New C6 owner exchanged my p65 hours ago and so far very happy, build date is from May.. Screen looks great to me
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160729_152707.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	1572385  

Last edited by HyperC; 07-29-2016 at 02:36 PM.
post #2423 of 28275 Old 07-28-2016, 09:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperC View Post
New C6 owner exchanged my p65 hours ago and so far very happy, I have not ran any test patterns yet but build date is from May
Congrats time to get popcorn out and enjoying☺
post #2424 of 28275 Old 07-28-2016, 10:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1486 Post(s)
Liked: 1481
Quote:

I don't know how good quality Fios is in the U.S. But here in Canada, I have HD optik cable and have an FTA satellite which gives me dishnetwork and own both plasma and OLED, to sum it up quick, the OLED gives a better picture with 720p/1080i/1080p content.

The one difference I see that plasma does better is motion and with SD channels. But you wouldn't tell if they weren't right beside each other. Hope that helps.

Media room- 65" Panasonic FZ950 OLED, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Panasonic UBD-820 4K, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC,Klipsch Reference R-62II,Rc52II,PS4
Gaming room -Panasonic ST60, PS3, Wii
post #2425 of 28275 Old 07-28-2016, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Hello all, I've noticed that on a pure white screen I hey a pinkish hue on the left side of the screen. I think I've read this before, but wondering if I should exchange it for another set? It's not that bad, but I did notice it a bit playing a hockey video game tonight.

Are many other people seeing this pinkish hue, or is it rare and did I very unlucky?

Thanks
post #2426 of 28275 Old 07-28-2016, 11:11 PM

Quoted: 1709 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Quote:
Lastly, as to the claims by a few of poor upscaling by the LG OLEDs, I say nonsense. I've compared 720p, 1080i and 1080p (satellite broadcasts and BluRay) on both my 65" B6 OLED and my Sony 940c (the best in the business, right?) and at anything even remotely close to normal viewing distance, there is no difference. None. Zero. Nada. In fact, I'll be so bold as to say even at 1/2 of a typical viewing distance you'll see no difference.
So basically what you're saying is that the difference in scaling doesn't show up at normal viewing distances but does if you're pixel sniffing. I'd have to agree with your logic although just knowing that there is a difference would still bother me.

As to motion processing, although you don't see a difference doesn't mean that other's won't. Isn't it generally understood that the perception of motion problems is individual and not everyone sees it the same way?

Maybe a fair question would be do you see motion issues on displays that others claim to see it?
post #2427 of 28275 Old 07-28-2016, 11:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkwong View Post
He was using a sharpness of 18 and complaining about added grain. I have no doubt the black crush is caused by his settings.

Sharpness of 20 is the default on game mode. It shouldn't really cause that amount of grain when there is literally no grain in the source.

The black crush is inevitable. There's something wrong with the tv when you can't vary the brightness setting by more than 4 clicks without it looking very off in one way or another. You're either crushing blacks or you're washing out the picture and adding noise. That's just the way it is.
post #2428 of 28275 Old 07-28-2016, 11:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sharpness of 20 is the default on game mode. It shouldn't really cause that amount of grain when there is literally no grain in the source.

The black crush is inevitable. There's something wrong with the tv when you can't vary the brightness setting by more than 4 clicks without it looking very off in one way or another. You're either crushing blacks or you're washing out the picture and adding noise. That's just the way it is.
Wow so I guess the rest of us have been watching our sets all wrong.

Last edited by Cam1977; 07-28-2016 at 11:59 PM.
post #2429 of 28275 Old 07-28-2016, 11:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1113 Post(s)
Liked: 671
Quote:

Do yourself a favor and go get a lcd you will be much happier
Ken Ross likes this.
post #2430 of 28275 Old 07-28-2016, 11:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Do yourself a favor and go get a lcd you will be much happier
Exactly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
arc , C6-B6 , calibration , computer , desktop , firmware update , lg c6 pc sdr hdr , lg oled , monitor , oled , oled b6 , oled lg , screen damage , screen uniformity , settings , soundbar , there is sig

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page