2016 LG C6-B6 owners thread - Page 821 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 264135Likes

post #24601 of 28033 Old 01-25-2018, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked: 1766
I assumed that would happen. It's just not a great idea to leave the TV with a broken feature. Even if regular updates were done, major software fixes like this still tend to happen, unless specifically noted otherwise. (Such as with my Sony and it's broken 3D)

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HTCT780, Base PS4, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Philips BDP7502, AV.io 4K
Check out my video game movie edits
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24602 of 28033 Old 01-25-2018, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Pleased that the DV update should eventually get to our sets, although I must say I’m a little surprised. I was expecting a total lack of attention from LG. Now that I’ve given up on/it seems technologicallly impossible to get Atmos via ARC, all I’m waiting for is Atmos via ATV4K, the DV update to fix blacks and some time without the wife and kids to actually use the TV, and my dream will be complete.

LG OLED55B6, Marantz NR1607 with 5.1.2, ATV 4K, Virgo TiVo, PS4 Pro, Sony UBPX700
post #24603 of 28033 Old 01-26-2018, 02:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Using a C6 with HDR Bright and Firmware 5.30.15, driven from Panasonic UB900 with Dynamic Range Slider=6 and conventional wisdom says to set colour gamut to Normal because the C6 will automatically switch to the correct wide gamut for HDR material (ie Normal = Wide for HDR and Normal = BT709 for SDR).

However, I notice colour seems a bit muted with Normal colour gamut, so I switched to Wide colour gamut and it looks much more natural and realistic.

Switching between Normal and Wide with the same material running there is a significant change in colour, yet Normal is supposed to switch to Wide automatically with HDR: it's obviously not doing this correctly.

Has anyone else come across this inconsistency?

I'm now suspicious of all the "calibration" tips for the C6.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24604 of 28033 Old 01-26-2018, 03:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanD View Post
Using a C6 with HDR Bright and Firmware 5.30.15, driven from Panasonic UB900 with Dynamic Range Slider=6 and conventional wisdom says to set colour gamut to Normal because the C6 will automatically switch to the correct wide gamut for HDR material (ie Normal = Wide for HDR and Normal = BT709 for SDR).

However, I notice colour seems a bit muted with Normal colour gamut, so I switched to Wide colour gamut and it looks much more natural and realistic.

Switching between Normal and Wide with the same material running there is a significant change in colour, yet Normal is supposed to switch to Wide automatically with HDR: it's obviously not doing this correctly.

I agree with you and HDR10 content looks absolutely stunning with the wide color setting, my B6 is not a calibrated tv, I just turn all the processing features off. Setting it to normal the colors look dull etc. maybe when it’s professionally calibrated I can imagine that the normal setting would be more appropriate.

Klipsch Reference Premiere: 4 x RP-280's, 1 x RP 450C and dual R-115W's
Marantz 7011 AVR
LG OLED B6
Apple TV 4K
PlayStation Pro
post #24605 of 28033 Old 01-26-2018, 03:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Normal does switch to wide color gamut automatically. When you manually change it to wide, it's adding further saturation beyond where the colors are supposed to be, so yes you'll notice a difference.

Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Philips BDP7502, AV.io 4K
post #24606 of 28033 Old 01-26-2018, 03:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMWhizzle View Post
I agree with you and HDR10 content looks absolutely stunning with the wide color setting, my B6 is not a calibrated tv, I just turn all the processing features off. Setting it to normal the colors look dull etc. maybe when it’s professionally calibrated I can imagine that the normal setting would be more appropriate.
They look dull because you're used to them being over saturated.
mttpalmer and Bleeding Edge like this.

post #24607 of 28033 Old 01-26-2018, 03:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post
They look dull because you're used to them being over saturated.

It looks closer to SDR content to me.

Marantz 7011 AVR
LG OLED B6
Apple TV 4K
PlayStation Pro
post #24608 of 28033 Old 01-26-2018, 03:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMWhizzle View Post
It looks closer to SDR content to me.
In general, most colors should be close to SDR when you're watching in HDR. The only colors that should outperform SDR are the colors that are supposed to be quite saturated, as well as colors in bright highlights. Most colors you see in the world fit within SDR's color gamut.

It's basically the same situation of how HDR isn't supposed to make everything brighter, just the elements that should have been brighter but were limited from doing so in SDR.

HDR allows for colors outside of what SDR allowed, but that doesn't mean everything should be more saturated.

post #24609 of 28033 Old 01-26-2018, 03:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Normal does switch to wide color gamut automatically.
That's what many have been saying.

Quote:
When you manually change it to wide, it's adding further saturation beyond where the colors are supposed to be, so yes you'll notice a difference.
That doesn't make sense: if Normal switches to Wide with HDR material, then manually setting to Wide should be the same.

Before I started changing colour gamut, I was getting severe posterisation with HDR material, to the point that I was engaging the Panasonic UB900 HDR->SDR conversion which seemed the only way to tame it. Now with setting colour gamut to Wide, I don't see that posterisation and colours look fantastic (however tone mapping is still not quite right as whites are blown out).

I wish LG would use industry terminology in their controls so that the consumer can better understand what they mean in real terms and not be so confused: there should be BT709/601, BT2020 and possibly DCI P3 discrete settings as well as Full and Limited range black levels (not High and Low).
post #24610 of 28033 Old 01-26-2018, 04:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

That doesn't make sense: if Normal switches to Wide with HDR material, then manually setting to Wide should be the same.

Before I started changing colour gamut, I was getting severe posterisation with HDR material, to the point that I was engaging the Panasonic UB900 HDR->SDR conversion which seemed the only way to tame it. Now with setting colour gamut to Wide, I don't see that posterisation and colours look fantastic (however tone mapping is still not quite right as whites are blown out).

I wish LG would use industry terminology in their controls so that the consumer can better understand what they mean in real terms and not be so confused: there should be BT709/601, BT2020 and possibly DCI P3 discrete settings as well as Full and Limited range black levels (not High and Low).
The "wide" setting isn't the same as Wide Color Gamut in HDR mode. So when you set it to normal, the TV is activating Wide Color Gamut when there's HDR content, but it's not using the "wide" preset, which pushes saturation even further than it's supposed to be.

post #24611 of 28033 Old 01-26-2018, 04:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The "wide" setting isn't the same as Wide Color Gamut in HDR mode. So when you set it to normal, the TV is activating Wide Color Gamut when there's HDR content, but it's not using the "wide" preset, which pushes saturation even further than it's supposed to be.
All I know is that Men In Black UHD looks pastel and "wrong" especially in face colouration with Normal colour gamut setting, but much more accurate and natural in Wide setting.
post #24612 of 28033 Old 01-26-2018, 04:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Are those people who think normal color gamut looks dull in HDR content maybe using pc-mode? Because something is messed up when using pc-mode for HDR content, as it causes the picture to become desaturated and dull. I still wonder if this is a bug or some hardware limitation.
post #24613 of 28033 Old 01-26-2018, 04:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk82 View Post
Are those people who think normal color gamut looks dull in HDR content maybe using pc-mode? Because something is messed up when using pc-mode for HDR content, as it causes the picture to become desaturated and dull. I still wonder if this is a bug or some hardware limitation.
I use HDR Standard or HDR Bright presets with a few modifications and although I have named the UHD input "UHD" I don't think I have anything set to PC mode. Deep Colour is turned on for that HDMI input within the C6.

I think LG is creating a lot of confusion by not having clearly labeled functions as to their industry terminology and requiring bizarre settings to get PC mode (such as labeling an HDMI input "PC") instead of having discrete settings to enable a monitor only mode. Deep Colour is also a source of confusion: it should only ever have been known as colour depth and transparent between Bluray and UHD. Consumers also should not have to turn "Deep Colour" on or off for inputs: if they are capable of greater than 8 bit colour then it shouldn't matter one way or another.

HDR has muddied the waters further by combining tone mapping, colour depth and colour gamut into a single concept when it is actually 3 different ones.

I really have no confidence in LG doing the right thing when they auto-switch between values without showing what settings they have actually chosen and use the same nomenclature for two different things (ie "wide" setting and "wide" colour gamut). It's unlikely to change now that LG are 2 generations beyond the C6 to market and working on the 3rd.

Last edited by IanD; 01-26-2018 at 04:33 AM.
post #24614 of 28033 Old 01-26-2018, 04:57 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
Kenbar, truly thx for posting this.
It’s great they are addressing this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
While this is good news, it only pertains to elevated black levels from Dolby Vision content from an HDMI input. This column does not directly address the general elevated black levels that were introcudced in the 05.30.03 firmware.
post #24615 of 28033 Old 01-26-2018, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6392 Post(s)
Liked: 6390
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnim View Post
Pleased that the DV update should eventually get to our sets, although I must say I’m a little surprised. I was expecting a total lack of attention from LG. Now that I’ve given up on/it seems technologically impossible to get Atmos via ARC, all I’m waiting for is Atmos via ATV4K, the DV update to fix blacks and some time without the wife and kids to actually use the TV, and my dream will be complete.
I guess we will be sure when it happens...
post #24616 of 28033 Old 01-26-2018, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I repeatedly asked Vincent Teoh on YouTube if he could reach out to LG to address the elevated black issue with the latest firmware but he doesn’t respond.

Marantz 7011 AVR
LG OLED B6
Apple TV 4K
PlayStation Pro
post #24617 of 28033 Old 01-26-2018, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:

I’ve had the b6 for a year and despite what everyone says, WIDE is also better for 709.
Normal makes REC709 too pink and green, Wide looks more correct for the most part.

Or rather WIDE scales rec709 better than normal simulates rec709’s gamut.

LG OLED65B6P. Klipsch: RF82, RC62, RS52, RB61, RP-140SA. SVS PB-U13. Denon 6300H. Oppo 103D. Oppo UPD 203.
post #24618 of 28033 Old 01-26-2018, 06:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

Full and Limited are also incorrect and implies that one has more dynamic range than the other. The correct terminology for the 2 signal ranges are Legal Video range (limited/low) and PC Data range (full/high). Also just because you prefer 'wide' doesn't mean its correct, but if you like it use it. Its your tv. But the meter doesn't lie like our eyes will so I trust what the calibrators say.....

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
post #24619 of 28033 Old 01-27-2018, 03:06 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So anyone here get their Directv box to display certain programs in HDR?

I have 4k working fine, but still can't get HDR.

Maybe the 2016 LGs don't support broadcast HDR?
post #24620 of 28033 Old 01-27-2018, 03:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncanny View Post
While this is good news, it only pertains to elevated black levels from Dolby Vision content from an HDMI input. This column does not directly address the general elevated black levels that were introcudced in the 05.30.03 firmware.
To avoid any confusion for any newcomers etc. sInce this thread is named C6-B6, this “general elevated black levels” issue that was introduced in the firmware update only affects the B6.

The C6 uses a different chipset (same as the E6 & G6) and is not affected by this bug. Not to mention that it has 3D where the B6 doesn’t.

The Dolby Vision issue affects all 6 and 7 series sets.

Somebody should really remove C6 from the name of this thread and add C6 to the E6-G6 thread.
TrueDis, thedrsky125 and Kenbar like this.

LG OLED55C6P, Panasonic UB-820, Sony UBP-X800, Zidoo X9S, Denon AVR-X3400H, vintage Carver M1.0T amp, Axiom M60v3 Mains & VP100 Center, Original SVS 20-39pci Cylinder sub, Phase Tech Surrounds & 2 Polk RC60i Atmos. Desktop system: Fully restored (by me) vintage Marantz 2275 stereo receiver from 1976 driving a pair of Axiom M2v3's, BIC 10" Sub.
post #24621 of 28033 Old 01-27-2018, 04:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1091 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyM View Post
To avoid any confusion for any newcomers etc. sInce this thread is named C6-B6, this “general elevated black levels” issue that was introduced in the firmware update only affects the B6.

The C6 uses a different chipset (same as the E6 & G6) and is not affected by this bug. Not to mention that it has 3D where the B6 doesn’t.

The Dolby Vision issue affects all 6 and 7 series sets.

Somebody should really remove C6 from the name of this thread and add C6 to the E6-G6 thread.
Yes they really should. Never made sense to me.
TrueDis likes this.
post #24622 of 28033 Old 01-27-2018, 04:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrikan View Post
So anyone here get their Directv box to display certain programs in HDR?

I have 4k working fine, but still can't get HDR.

Maybe the 2016 LGs don't support broadcast HDR?
No problem here getting HDR from D*.
C61k.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #24623 of 28033 Old 01-27-2018, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 44
2016 LG C6-B6 owners thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by I WANT MORE View Post

C61k.

Same here. Everything works as it should. I have the B6. I am running the Korean firmware though.
post #24624 of 28033 Old 01-27-2018, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 2057 Post(s)
Liked: 2208
I have a 65 inch C6 and it has turned off on my 3 times this week. I wasn’t in the room when it happened so not sure if there was a message on screen. It has only happened while watching dish network. Hasn’t happened yet while watching a movie.

Anyone have a similar issue?

Dish 4K hopper goes to Denon 4400 then to C6
Fanboyz likes this.
post #24625 of 28033 Old 01-27-2018, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by I WANT MORE View Post
C61k.
I should have mentioned but I have a LG C6 and D* 54 box (latest one I believe). I use the Directv Ready App.

No mini.

With my set up I have Deep Color turned on for all inputs.

4K Channel(s) are working fine. I check the info of what ever program is on. Some just say 4k and others say 4k, HDR.

For some reason it isn't triggering the TV to turn on HDR for those programs that support it.

I have the correct HDMI cables. I get HDR fine from my player and from the TV's apps.

Last edited by Afrikan; 01-27-2018 at 01:46 PM.
post #24626 of 28033 Old 01-27-2018, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
I should have mentioned but I have a LG C6 and D* 54 box (latest one I believe). I use the Directv Ready App.

No mini.

4K Channel(s) are working fine. I check the info of what ever program is on. Some just say 4k and others say 4k, HDR.

For some reason it isn't triggering the TV to turn on HDR for those programs that support it.

I have the correct HDMI cables. I get HDR fine from my player and from the TV's apps.
Two possibilities. You may need a Certified 18 cable and/or a different LNB. Try the cable first, if it doesn't fix the problem, call Direct and ask for a tech visit.
post #24627 of 28033 Old 01-27-2018, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Quote:

No mini.

Do you have 4k authorized on your DirecTv account?

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #24628 of 28033 Old 01-27-2018, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 137
FYI, using 'wide color', is the incorrect way to view HDR content.

Should always be set to normal.

Artistic intent > super saturated color.
morphinapg, Jrocker23 and macmane like this.
post #24629 of 28033 Old 01-27-2018, 09:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 2057 Post(s)
Liked: 2208
Has anyone noticed an issue with Vudu UHD movies and stuttering audio since the last Vudu update? All of my UHD movies stutter on the audio and this never happened before. My internet is 50/50 and test higher. This does not happen when watching the same movies on my Vudu app on my Apple TV. I uninstalled and reinstalled but no difference.
post #24630 of 28033 Old 01-27-2018, 10:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
Has anyone noticed an issue with Vudu UHD movies and stuttering audio since the last Vudu update? All of my UHD movies stutter on the audio and this never happened before. My internet is 50/50 and test higher. This does not happen when watching the same movies on my Vudu app on my Apple TV. I uninstalled and reinstalled but no difference.
I noticed it when I watched blade runner 2049 a few nights ago. Haven't tried other movies yet but when I watched them before they played fine, so maybe it is a recent update issue.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
arc , C6-B6 , calibration , computer , desktop , firmware update , lg c6 pc sdr hdr , lg oled , monitor , oled , oled b6 , oled lg , screen damage , screen uniformity , settings , soundbar , there is sig

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page