2016 LG C6-B6 owners thread - Page 851 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 264135Likes

post #25501 of 28029 Old 04-19-2018, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbar View Post
I posted this on a different forum...try it and toss in Tangled 3D...or Beauty and the Beast 3D 2017 (live action) as examples...stunning image quality. Your tv will retain the 3D settings separate from non 3D.

"Color and such are somewhat personal preferences. I run mine with burn in in mind, as these are irreplaceable TV's. And I place a higher value on longevity than I do on having the absolute best picture possible. But I do run 3D...at what I consider to be somewhat punishing levels. My settings are perhaps not ideal...but a compromise if you will, between pretty and lifespan. Still, looks very realistic to my eyes. Grain, if present, will show up as you would expect. But a grain free disc will look...superb. A worthy trade off to see a clean grain free 3D disc be all it can be.

Good for 3D only...

Picture mode - standard

Olight 45

contrast 78

brightness 52

Sharpness 50

color 44

tint 0

color temp 0

dynamic contrast off

dynamic color off

preferred color 0 0 0

color gamut normal

Super resolution high

gamma medium

noise reduction off

mpeg NR off

black level low

real cinema (blacked out)

motion eye care off

trumotion: user--- de jutter 0--- de blur 10
Settings are all personal preference, but generally for 3D OLED Light should be higher than for 2D and Super Resolution is not recommended for HD sources. Super Resolution works great on standard definition, but on HD and above sources it over sharpens and can bring in artifacts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25502 of 28029 Old 04-19-2018, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked: 1766
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercennarius View Post
Settings are all personal preference, but generally for 3D OLED Light should be higher than for 2D and Super Resolution is not recommended for HD sources. Super Resolution works great on standard definition, but on HD and above sources it over sharpens and can bring in artifacts.
I haven't noticed super resolution do anything with any source any time I've tested it.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HTCT780, Base PS4, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Philips BDP7502, AV.io 4K
Check out my video game movie edits
post #25503 of 28029 Old 04-19-2018, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Latest on the Dolby Vision & HDR Game mode fixes is they coming... Sometime
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#5dd397993637

LG OLED65B6P
Marantz SR7010 driving 5.1.4
Klipsch RP-280FA Atmos Towers (Front) | RP-250C (Center) | R-115SW (Sub)
Pioneer SP-EFS73 Atmos Towers (Rear)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25504 of 28029 Old 04-19-2018, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Is the B6P able to decode DD+ for its internal speakers ??
When I send DD+ from my Roku Ultra the LG shows it is receiving DD+, but I get no sound from the internal speakers.
If sent a DD+ signal the B6P will send the signal to my receiver through the 'optical out' as DD 5.1 (not DD+), which is not surprising. It does surprise me that the B6P will not decode DD+ for its internal speakers.
Am I missing something in settings??

Tom

"When all else fails, read the manual."
post #25505 of 28029 Old 04-19-2018, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercennarius View Post

True for 2D...highest I found was sharpness 26 without artifactings appearing. But not so with 3D. It looks great with max sharpness and super resolution on high. I also found 4K can also handle sharpness max...and/but super resolution on low. Give it a try...works great! I use olight 35 for standard bluray movies. 45 for 3D.

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.

Last edited by Kenbar; 04-19-2018 at 08:49 AM.
post #25506 of 28029 Old 04-19-2018, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDis View Post
Latest on the Dolby Vision & HDR Game mode fixes is they coming... Sometime
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#5dd397993637
Really hope this turns out to be true. LG's response sounded just vague enough that I wouldn't be surprised if the fixes never show up (especially the game mode one).

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

LG OLED65C, Sony 940e, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Oppo 203, Denon AVR-X4200, SVS SB-2000 (x2), SVS Prime Tower (x2), SVS Prime Satellite (x2), SVS Prime Center
post #25507 of 28029 Old 04-19-2018, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbar View Post
True for 2D...highest I found was sharpness 26 without artifactings appearing. But not so with 3D. It looks great with max sharpness and super resolution on high. I also found 4K can also handle sharpness max...and/but super resolution on low. Give it a try...works great! I use olight 35 for standard bluray movies. 45 for 3D.
I tried your settings out last night. I think color temp needs adjusting for me. When switching from 3d to 2d and checking what my 2d settings were getting me, the 3d picture felt more "cool" than neutral. While the image presented a great deal of detail, I cant help but think of what repercussions blasting the sharpness up that high would have. It was clearly adding edge enhancement that wasnt there in the 2d version. When I ran it through the sharpness test on the S&M disc, the over sharpness indicator was screaming that it was too high. This was on Passengers 3d btw.
mercennarius and mercennarius like this.
post #25508 of 28029 Old 04-19-2018, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 1071
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
For those with elevated blacks on your B6 after the 05.30.03 update, the latest from John Archer stated that LG is unaware of this. In the article, which mostly relates to the DV bug, John Archer said he would relay your reports to LG if you send the info to him via his twitter account.

https://www.lgservice.co.kr/download...Search.do#none
With all the b**ching I've seen in this thread about this "issue", I'm surprised that there is no response to this post. Did everyone miss it? Did everyone contact Archer without noting it here? I suppose it's possible, but you folks have not been known for ignoring this 05.30.03 "problem".

I bring this up just in case it was missed and anyone actually hopes for a "resolution". (I also don't view in the typical conditions needed to be aware of it.) I'm using quotes in this, because I haven't seen the "issue" although based on your inputs here, I did file a PR with LG requesting a fix (as some in this thread suggested). It's interesting to me in the post quoted above, Archer says that LG is not aware of the issue. Am I the only one who sent a problem report? Is all the angst here just "gas"?

Here is a link to the article that I went out and found for ya'll. (BTW, not having seen the issue, I will not contact Archer.)
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#76bd82e53637
john fusco and SinGA like this.

Atmos/DTS:X HT in Vaulted Room -- LG OLED Settings Options
Yamaha RX-A3060: 7.2.4 or 7.2.2 + Zone2 (switchable); OPPO 203; LG OLED65B6P; Harmony 650 & Home Hub
Base: Mirage OM-6 (FLR), MC-si (C), OM-R2 (SLR), FRx-nine (BLR)
Presence: ELAC A4s (FP), RSL C34Es (RP); 2 aci Titan subs; RP amp: AudioSource AMP100VS
post #25509 of 28029 Old 04-19-2018, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by brahby View Post
I tried your settings out last night. I think color temp needs adjusting for me. When switching from 3d to 2d and checking what my 2d settings were getting me, the 3d picture felt more "cool" than neutral. While the image presented a great deal of detail, I cant help but think of what repercussions blasting the sharpness up that high would have. It was clearly adding edge enhancement that wasnt there in the 2d version. When I ran it through the sharpness test on the S&M disc, the over sharpness indicator was screaming that it was too high. This was on Passengers 3d btw.
Add a little color if you wish. I have had it that way for a long time. Are you thinking it might increase the possibility of burn in? To me it just looks like a higher resolution, more detailed...closer to what I imagine 4K 3D would look like. Try an animated disc when you get a chance, those look great as well.

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
post #25510 of 28029 Old 04-19-2018, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 25
05.30.03 Black Levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlife View Post
With all the b**ching I've seen in this thread about this "issue", I'm surprised that there is no response to this post. Did everyone miss it? Did everyone contact Archer without noting it here? I suppose it's possible, but you folks have not been known for ignoring this 05.30.03 "problem".

I bring this up just in case it was missed and anyone actually hopes for a "resolution". (I also don't view in the typical conditions needed to be aware of it.) I'm using quotes in this, because I haven't seen the "issue" although based on your inputs here, I did file a PR with LG requesting a fix (as some in this thread suggested). It's interesting to me in the post quoted above, Archer says that LG is not aware of the issue. Am I the only one who sent a problem report? Is all the angst here just "gas"?

Here is a link to the article that I went out and found for ya'll. (BTW, not having seen the issue, I will not contact Archer.)
I have reached out to John Archer through Twitter as of yesterday, but I also reached out to him 7 months ago when we first discovered the elevated black levels. My fear is that the problem with the 05.30.03 firmware is being confused for the separate Dolby Vision black level issue. I once again let him know that it’s still a problem for B6 owners and we have no details on when it may get fixed.

I encourage everyone with a B6 to contact him and let him know we still have black level problems with the 05.30.03 firmware.
TrueDis likes this.
post #25511 of 28029 Old 04-19-2018, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronTV View Post
Really hope this turns out to be true. LG's response sounded just vague enough that I wouldn't be surprised if the fixes never show up (especially the game mode one).

I hope that if they "fix" game mode it's more of an option for "HDR Game Bright" and not getting rid of the darker mode entirely, as there's a lot of benefit to be gained by that mode. Dynamic Contrast isn't what people want with that, either.

As for the raised blacks on B6, the author here seems to describe it as fluctuating black levels, much like DV over HDMI, but afaik there are no fluctuations, just a constant raised blacks, so perhaps that may be what has confused LG about that.

Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Philips BDP7502, AV.io 4K
post #25512 of 28029 Old 04-19-2018, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 5360 Post(s)
Liked: 3769
Quote:

Thanks for catching my mistake and posting the correct link.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
post #25513 of 28029 Old 04-19-2018, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:

That’s what I thought too!

Klipsch Reference Premiere: 4 x RP-280's, 1 x RP 450C and dual R-115W's
Marantz 7011 AVR
LG OLED B6
Apple TV 4K
PlayStation Pro
post #25514 of 28029 Old 04-19-2018, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMWhizzle View Post

That’s what I thought too!
It might be because of the condescension by some members that don’t preceive it.
post #25515 of 28029 Old 04-19-2018, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post
I hope that if they "fix" game mode it's more of an option for "HDR Game Bright" and not getting rid of the darker mode entirely, as there's a lot of benefit to be gained by that mode. Dynamic Contrast isn't what people want with that, either.

As for the raised blacks on B6, the author here seems to describe it as fluctuating black levels, much like DV over HDMI, but afaik there are no fluctuations, just a constant raised blacks, so perhaps that may be what has confused LG about that.

It is the reason why i've stayed with 04.30.95 on my C6. I've heard some positives about the darker HDR game mode, but i dont want to have to use dynamic contrast to brighten the image either.
post #25516 of 28029 Old 04-19-2018, 02:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talldrink67 View Post
It is the reason why i've stayed with 04.30.95 on my C6. I've heard some positives about the darker HDR game mode, but i dont want to have to use dynamic contrast to brighten the image either.
In most cases games have good enough brightness controls to adapt to any lighting conditions, meaning you won't need to use dynamic contrast even in a brightly lit room, but I think the benefits far outweigh any potential negatives, especially since I always watch HDR in a dark room.

post #25517 of 28029 Old 04-19-2018, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
In most cases games have good enough brightness controls to adapt to any lighting conditions, meaning you won't need to use dynamic contrast even in a brightly lit room, but I think the benefits far outweigh any potential negatives, especially since I always watch HDR in a dark room.
I would also hate for them to ditch the current HDR Game mode. However, I would love for them to add the Bright HDR Game (as you suggested earlier) for games like PUBG that have no calibration controls.
morphinapg likes this.
post #25518 of 28029 Old 04-19-2018, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have a 65" C6 Manufactured May 2017.

Dolby Vision I have noticed looks like its perfectly (or close to) calibrated in Colour/ Greyscale/ and Shadow detail. Eg skin tones in low apl scenes are spot on. Fire is perfect colour etc.

SDR and HDR settings on default are OK but I can tell (after being used to calibrated screens) that they are not perfect.

I assume LG do a factory panel calibration on Dolby Vision, but not for SDR and HDR .. anyone else experience similar or have a different experience?

I dont have an I1 pro anymore and will get a calibration once the set hits 2000hours but If the default SDR/HDR colours/greyscale was as good as DV was from factory I wouldnt bother.
post #25519 of 28029 Old 04-19-2018, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bickle View Post
I have a 65" C6 Manufactured May 2017.

Dolby Vision I have noticed looks like its perfectly (or close to) calibrated in Colour/ Greyscale/ and Shadow detail. Eg skin tones in low apl scenes are spot on. Fire is perfect colour etc.

SDR and HDR settings on default are OK but I can tell (after being used to calibrated screens) that they are not perfect.

I assume LG do a factory panel calibration on Dolby Vision, but not for SDR and HDR .. anyone else experience similar or have a different experience?

I dont have an I1 pro anymore and will get a calibration once the set hits 2000hours but If the default SDR/HDR colours/greyscale was as good as DV was from factory I wouldnt bother.
Dolby Vision isn't perfect. It has the same inaccuracies of grayscale as the other HDR modes. The reason it looks better is it has better tonemapping, which has been directly optimized by Dolby based on the screen's strengths and weaknesses to result in a picture that preserves as much of the original mastered look as possible (by comparing display capabilities between your tv and the mastering display), sacrificing as little as possible. Comparing across multiple screens, Dolby Vision is going to look much more consistent between screens than HDR10 is, because each screen handles the tonemapping differently, and most HDR10 tonemapping techniques do not make the best use of the display's capabilities. Dynamic metadata also helps ensure the display is tuned to its best potential based on each scene's content, which isn't possible on static HDR10 either.

post #25520 of 28029 Old 04-20-2018, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncanny View Post
I have reached out to John Archer through Twitter as of yesterday, but I also reached out to him 7 months ago when we first discovered the elevated black levels. My fear is that the problem with the 05.30.03 firmware is being confused for the separate Dolby Vision black level issue. I once again let him know that it’s still a problem for B6 owners and we have no details on when it may get fixed.

I encourage everyone with a B6 to contact him and let him know we still have black level problems with the 05.30.03 firmware.
Replied also about my B6
john fusco likes this.
post #25521 of 28029 Old 04-20-2018, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexend View Post
Replied also about my B6
I don't understand if they are working on it they clearly know the firmware is bad why they are continuing to push it and/or additionally allow you to easily roll back to the previous firmware. Honestly, I don't think they are doing anything other than waiting for people to give up on it. 7 months? I cannot imagine it takes that long to fix something that wasn't an issue in previous firmwares.

Denon x2300w
PS4 Pro
Sony UBP-X800
Apple TV4k
LG OLED65B6p
post #25522 of 28029 Old 04-20-2018, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
I interpreted that article as suggesting that any 'fix' would be along those lines, since the darker game mode was apparently intentional. I hope that's what they do. No reason to take away the dark mode if some people like it. I don't like it at all, though, so hopefully something gets worked out.

morphinapg likes this.

LG OLED65C, Sony 940e, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Oppo 203, Denon AVR-X4200, SVS SB-2000 (x2), SVS Prime Tower (x2), SVS Prime Satellite (x2), SVS Prime Center
post #25523 of 28029 Old 04-20-2018, 06:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronTV View Post
I interpreted that article as suggesting that any 'fix' would be along those lines, since the darker game mode was apparently intentional. I hope that's what they do. No reason to take away the dark mode if some people like it. I don't like it at all, though, so hopefully something gets worked out.

I know this isn't the most technical way to show a difference but I prefer the darker HDR Game mode. I don't like LG's suggestion to use dynamic can contrast on high to brighten it. Ithink it does give better detail & a little more realistic look.

In the pics below the picture with the right handed batter (batter on the left side of pic) has dynamic contrast on high

The pic with the left handed batter ( batter on right side of pic) has dynamic contrast off. I think this one has more detail and slightly better realism.

Using LG C6

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Living Room: LG 65C8, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
Bedroom: LG 55C6P, LG Soundbar NB3530A, Xbox One X
Link to LG C8PUA Firmware https://www.lg.com/us/support-produc...5C8PUA#manuals
Link to LG UH8500 & C6 Firmware http://www.lg.com/us/support-product...D55C6P#manuals
post #25524 of 28029 Old 04-20-2018, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Here's a comparison I made between HDR Standard and HDR Game using a bright scene from Batman v Superman, and adjusting the exposures so the shadows were the same brightness, so it paints a better picture of what highlight detail is revealed and the difference in pop you get when viewing in a dark room where your eyes can adjust to the darker image:

https://gfycat.com/GrandGiddyHamadryas

This is a gif with the exposure locked between the two, showing the difference in brightness:

https://gfycat.com/QuickArcticAfricanaugurbuzzard
Jrocker23 and mo949 like this.

post #25525 of 28029 Old 04-21-2018, 01:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
is there anything we can do to enlarge the super small text in game window boxes on the LG b6? Its hard to read in game text in games like forza 7 and god of war.
post #25526 of 28029 Old 04-21-2018, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 246
God of War on PS4 Pro looks amazeeeeeeballs on B6. Just wow...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
john fusco and HD KOOL-AID like this.

LG OLED55B6P ~ PS4 Pro ~ Xbox One X ~ Apple TV 4K ~ PSN/XBL: firesamu
post #25527 of 28029 Old 04-21-2018, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sechev00 View Post
God of War on PS4 Pro looks amazeeeeeeballs on B6. Just wow...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can't wait to check it out. I'm still catching up with a few games I got behind on while playing AC Origins, but should be done with those soon I hope.

sechev00 likes this.

post #25528 of 28029 Old 04-21-2018, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6390 Post(s)
Liked: 6389
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyReets View Post
I don't understand if they are working on it they clearly know the firmware is bad why they are continuing to push it and/or additionally allow you to easily roll back to the previous firmware. Honestly, I don't think they are doing anything other than waiting for people to give up on it. 7 months? I cannot imagine it takes that long to fix something that wasn't an issue in previous firmwares.
They are waiting on something that's for sure......giving up as you noted is part of that.
post #25529 of 28029 Old 04-21-2018, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
2016 C6 LG OLED - Adv. Settings under HDR are greyed out.

No matter what I fiddle with, the advanced options under the HDR Game mode are greyed out and unselectable. I looked around on the forum and found somebody else with the same issue but his solution doesn't help, as i do not have an xfinity box.

Any idea of what needs to be done in order to change these settings? Seems the last update locked me out.
post #25530 of 28029 Old 04-22-2018, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Can't wait to check it out. I'm still catching up with a few games I got behind on while playing AC Origins, but should be done with those soon I hope.

Me too, definetely getting gow, but still playing far cry 5. Makes me wonder, would getting xbox 1 x be worth it for higher resolution games and dolby atmos...but watching YouTube video comparisons between pro and x1x i don't see big difference. You really have to look for it to see. Origins i played 110 hours lol, including all dlcs. Was awesome game.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
arc , C6-B6 , calibration , computer , desktop , firmware update , lg c6 pc sdr hdr , lg oled , monitor , oled , oled b6 , oled lg , screen damage , screen uniformity , settings , soundbar , there is sig

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page