2016 LG C6-B6 owners thread - Page 921 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 264206Likes

post #27601 of 28195 Old 02-25-2019, 06:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1118 Post(s)
Liked: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by edo101 View Post
I get crosstalk if I am not looking at the screen from a more central location. This happens less if I am watching movies from my PC like VLC or MPC as opposed to WebOS
Vertically you want your eye level more less centered to the screen. Left right should not matter too much unless you go to extreme. 65' screen you should be at least 8ft away, 9~10 better. If you see crosstalk in the same area, say upper right, lower left...centerish...repeatably (often forms a wave appearance from being stretched poorly during manufacturing), you might have a poorly aligned filter.

Play a 3D movie that it full screen when testing. Had one that had issues only in the extreme upper right area. Looked fine with wide screen movies.

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27602 of 28195 Old 02-28-2019, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 6
AMEX came through on their extended warranty for my discolored B6 purchase, paid up in full so I'm shopping for a new TV. Good time to be shopping too, OLED discounts everywhere.
mttpalmer likes this.

LG OLED65B6P + Onkyo TX-SR353 5.1-Channel A/V Receiver
post #27603 of 28195 Old 02-28-2019, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueGrid View Post
AMEX came through on their extended warranty for my discolored B6 purchase, paid up in full so I'm shopping for a new TV. Good time to be shopping too, OLED discounts everywhere.

Costco has the 65” C8 for $1929 until 3/2!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27604 of 28195 Old 03-01-2019, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1special View Post
Do everyone's HDR movies look particularly dark on their sets? My only access to HDR content has been Netflix and Amazon Prime. I tried a few 4K HDR movies on Prime through the new Fire TV Stick 4K, and they're all quite dark. I especially recall a specific scene in Manchester by the Sea where Casey Affleck's character is in a bar and gets into a fight. That scene is nearly black. I mean completely unwatchable. Doesn't matter which HDR picture mode. I had to turn Dynamic Contrast to High and then it was much better, watchable, but still darker than it should be, IMO.

I remember others posting that an LG firmware made HDR game mode too dark. Can anyone confirm same issue with HDR movies?
Any luck with this? Did you find a solution?
I'm suffering from the same issue for two years now - all HDR movies feels too dark until the point where it causes eyes strain.
I had a suspicion that the fact that I have 4m+ distance from the TV is also contributing to the issue, make sense?
Tried playing with the configuration a few times with no luck, stuff like dynamic contrast does makes it brighter but the picture quality degrades.
BTW - my setup is B6 65, Nvidia shield, streaming with Plex server, only remux content.
post #27605 of 28195 Old 03-01-2019, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
What issues are you having with HDR on Windows?
Well, it's not just on Windows but a problem with HDR output on the C6 itself. When your selected input is using the PC icon, HDR output is broken. Rec.709 is output instead of BT2020. You may be asking why I don't use a different icon for my input selection. The reason is that when you use the PC icon, Chroma 4:4:4 works and this is the only way of accomplishing this (please correct if I'm wrong!). I can use a different icon but don't get Chroma 4:4:4 compatibility (again please correct if wrong). Does anybody know if LG is going to fix this? A user in another form thinks they might have already fixed it for the G6 but C6 and E6 are broken, and can confirm my C6 is affected.
post #27606 of 28195 Old 03-01-2019, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Rowe View Post
Well, it's not just on Windows but a problem with HDR output on the C6 itself. When your selected input is using the PC icon, HDR output is broken. Rec.709 is output instead of BT2020. You may be asking why I don't use a different icon for my input selection. The reason is that when you use the PC icon, Chroma 4:4:4 works and this is the only way of accomplishing this (please correct if I'm wrong!). I can use a different icon but don't get Chroma 4:4:4 compatibility (again please correct if wrong). Does anybody know if LG is going to fix this? A user in another form thinks they might have already fixed it for the G6 but C6 and E6 are broken, and can confirm my C6 is affected.
whats so special abotu BT2020? I pretty much changed my icon to HDMI and it was the best way I could get HDR
post #27607 of 28195 Old 03-07-2019, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Longtime lurker, first time poster. Love my 55C6P, had it almost 3 years and only 2,800 hours on it. I'm trying my best to take care of it since it might be a while before 3D makes a comeback. After watching widescreen movies I notice a little image retention (I think). There are faint lines that show up where the letterbox bars were. The faint lines are usually only noticeable on Amazon's grey startup page, and they go away after watching full screen content for a while (or after the 4 hour pixel refresh). Is it a good idea to watch fewer widescreen movies? I have read that tests so far have not shown much danger from pixels wearing out unevenly due to widescreen movies, but I want to be as careful as possible with this awesome 3D TV.

That being said, I'm not going to worry too much. We need to enjoy what we have, and those of us lucky enough to have 2016 3D OLED TVs should have some very cool 3D watching ahead of us for at least a few years. I just feel bad for people buying 2D TVs who won't get to experience Ragnarok and Guardians and Dr Strange and even The Great Wall in all of their 3D glory.

And Thank You to all of you smart people for all of your posts! I have learned a lot by following this thread these past couple of years.
Bruce2019 likes this.

LG 55C6P
Oppo 203
The Dude Abides
post #27608 of 28195 Old 03-08-2019, 05:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Scott View Post
Longtime lurker, first time poster. Love my 55C6P, had it almost 3 years and only 2,800 hours on it. I'm trying my best to take care of it since it might be a while before 3D makes a comeback. After watching widescreen movies I notice a little image retention (I think). There are faint lines that show up where the letterbox bars were. The faint lines are usually only noticeable on Amazon's grey startup page, and they go away after watching full screen content for a while (or after the 4 hour pixel refresh). Is it a good idea to watch fewer widescreen movies? I have read that tests so far have not shown much danger from pixels wearing out unevenly due to widescreen movies, but I want to be as careful as possible with this awesome 3D TV.

That being said, I'm not going to worry too much. We need to enjoy what we have, and those of us lucky enough to have 2016 3D OLED TVs should have some very cool 3D watching ahead of us for at least a few years. I just feel bad for people buying 2D TVs who won't get to experience Ragnarok and Guardians and Dr Strange and even The Great Wall in all of their 3D glory.

And Thank You to all of you smart people for all of your posts! I have learned a lot by following this thread these past couple of years.
55C6P owner here as well and also still loving mine too...looking forward to performing my 5000 hour touch up calibration which wii be coming up very soon. It’s a crying shame that LG decided to stop adding the 3D feature to any of their OLED sets, especially considering that from all that I have read adding the 3D filter during the manufacturing process really doesn’t impact their costs much at all.
Antonino Barbera likes this.

LG 55C6P OLED Display
Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray Player (65-0131 firmware)
ELAC unifi B5 Speakers
NAD C316BEE Stereo Amplifier
Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 Sound Bar (3.2 firmware)/Xbox One X 4K Gaming Console/Apple TV 4K
post #27609 of 28195 Old 03-09-2019, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:

Rtings is on week 76 of their burn in test with the B6. So, 20 hours a day for 7 days a week. That TV has 10,640 hours on it at this point. 40% of the time, letterboxed content is displayed. So, black bars have been up for 4,256 hours (so about 2,128 movies).

There's zero indication of uneven aging between the letterboxed areas and the rest of the TV on any color. So, I think it's safe to say there's zero concern in watching 2.35:1 or 4:3 content on these TVs. The worse you'll get is a little bit of short term IR as you've observed, but it goes away pretty quickly.
post #27610 of 28195 Old 03-09-2019, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I would recommend lowering your olight level down as a protective measure for long lifespan. Perhaps your color level as well. I run 3D at olight 45~47...color the same. I run 2D movies at olight 35. Recently I bought an LG led/lcd passive 3D tv (2015 UF8500 model) to take the load of my precious Oled. Some think I went overboard...but hey...I love me Oled 3D tv. Wives may come and wives may go...but I plan to keep her around as long as possible...till 3D tv's are made again...or until I move along

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.

Last edited by Kenbar; 03-09-2019 at 11:17 AM.
post #27611 of 28195 Old 03-09-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbar View Post
I would recommend lowering your olight level down as a protective measure for long lifespan. Perhaps your color level as well. I run 3D at olight 45~47...color the same. I run 2D movies at olight 35. Recently I bought an LG led/lcd passive 3D tv (2015 UF8500 model) to take the load of my precious Oled. Some think I went overboard...but hey...I love me Oled 3D tv. Wives may come and wives may go...but I plan to keep her around as long as possible...till 3D tv's are made again...or until I move along

Oh is that so? I play 3D games which look amazing btw but I have to dial up my OLED light to 100 for it to be more vibrant. Are you saying this is bad for the TV? I too would like to hold on to this beautiful thing, seeing as how they don't make it anymore.

Also can anyone tell me if disabling panel shift under OLED settings increases IR or stops the TV from running its compensation cycle thing. I disabled it because playing 3D games, the TV will flip my eyes constantly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD_99 View Post
55C6P owner here as well and also still loving mine too...looking forward to performing my 5000 hour touch up calibration which wii be coming up very soon. It’s a crying shame that LG decided to stop adding the 3D feature to any of their OLED sets, especially considering that from all that I have read adding the 3D filter during the manufacturing process really doesn’t impact their costs much at all.

It truly is a damn shame. Id think having it would help them distinguish their OLED line from the others
post #27612 of 28195 Old 03-09-2019, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Oh is that so? I play 3D games which look amazing btw but I have to dial up my OLED light to 100 for it to be more vibrant. Are you saying this is bad for the TV? I too would like to hold on to this beautiful thing, seeing as how they don't make it anymore.

Also can anyone tell me if disabling panel shift under OLED settings increases IR or stops the TV from running its compensation cycle thing. I disabled it because playing 3D games, the TV will flip my eyes constantly

It truly is a damn shame. Id think having it would help them distinguish their OLED line from the others
Sadly yes. Olight level and color levels are the two main keys to preventing wearing. Game playing on my Oled is forbidden in my home, against the law. What my LED/LCD is for.

Sheriff Ken

post #27613 of 28195 Old 03-09-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Sadly yes. Olight level and color levels are the two main keys to preventing wearing. Game playing on my Oled is forbidden in my home, against the law. What my LED/LCD is for.

Sheriff Ken
I got some games that look amazing on this TV in 3D. Its a whole new world. I really cannot go back.
post #27614 of 28195 Old 03-09-2019, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I got some games that look amazing on this TV in 3D. Its a whole new world. I really cannot go back.
Choice is yours to make. 3D movies are what is important to me. But regardless olight 100 and color over 50 is...not a good pick and likely why you are seeing short term IR. Have you run this test for IR...does not mean it's BI unless you give your tv time to rest (overnight) and look again right away. Some might tell you not to look...better off not knowing. And that might be best. But if you really want to be fully aware..your call..

post #27615 of 28195 Old 03-09-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Choice is yours to make. 3D movies are what is important to me. But regardless olight 100 and color over 50 is...not a good pick and likely why you are seeing short term IR. Have you run this test for IR...does not mean it's BI unless you give your tv time to rest (overnight) and look again right away. Some might tell you not to look...better off not knowing. And that might be best. But if you really want to be fully aware..your call..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEsCprsVJaQ&t=35s
never used it but if that is supposed to show me IR/BI, I don't see any. So by default regardless of normal TV menu settings, the TV will run the pixel refresh thing overnight?

And why is Olight at 100 and color over 50,(mine is at 55) a bad thing? They are letting us dial up our brightness for a reason no?
post #27616 of 28195 Old 03-09-2019, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
never used it but if that is supposed to show me IR/BI, I don't see any. So by default regardless of normal TV menu settings, the TV will run the pixel refresh thing overnight?

And why is Olight at 100 and color over 50,(mine is at 55) a bad thing? They are letting us dial up our brightness for a reason no?
Yes, as long as it is plugged in...when turned off after 4 hours of use. To compete with LED/LCD brightness levels...marketing. LG did not cover bun in. And they generally can go beyond 1 year even with olight at 100. But the 2016 models can suffer from BI, well documented.

The rare 2016 3D Oleds are considered to be the finest 3D tv's ever made. Hold there value very well, often selling for more than was paid new. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...3D+TV&_sacat=0 Read about the lower priced one's...they have burn in typically. Cut's their value by at least 1/2.

Keeping a 2016 "B" in great shape is not so important. Easy to replace 2D. But the 3D ones...like the one you have there...priceless

As long as it is in perfect working order.

I bought a used 3D LED/LCD to use for general viewing/game play...3D Oleds are to valuable to waste general viewing on...anything other than movies. My opinion.

Last edited by Kenbar; 03-09-2019 at 03:46 PM.
post #27617 of 28195 Old 03-09-2019, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Yes, as long as it is plugged in...when turned off after 4 hours of use. To compete with LED/LCD brightness levels...marketing. LG did not cover bun in. And they generally can go beyond 1 year even with olight at 100. But the 2016 models can suffer from BI, well documented.

The rare 2016 3D Oleds are considered to be the finest 3D tv's ever made. Hold there value very well, often selling for more than was paid new. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...3D+TV&_sacat=0 Read about the lower priced one's...they have burn in typically. Cut's their value by at least 1/2.

Keeping a 2016 "B" in great shape is not so important. Easy to replace 2D. But the 3D ones...like the one you have there...priceless

As long as it is in perfect working order.

I bought a used 3D LED/LCD to use for general viewing/game play...3D Oleds are to valuable to waste general viewing on...anything other than movies. My opinion.
I see. Well maybe when I finally graduate and get a good full time job, I'll get a secondary LED 3D TV for gaming. WHne you say one year, you mean before getting BI due to 100 OLED light?

What is the recommended light settings?
post #27618 of 28195 Old 03-09-2019, 10:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2331 Post(s)
Liked: 1896
I have OLED Light at 42 for a 170 nit calibration in SDR. (Contrast 83)

3D and HDR are both at 100 of course.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk
mttpalmer likes this.

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HTCT780, Base PS4, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Sony UBP-X700, Atomos Ninja Inferno
Check out my video game movie edits

Last edited by morphinapg; 03-09-2019 at 10:26 PM.
post #27619 of 28195 Old 03-10-2019, 03:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked: 329
What motion settings are you using?

Klipsch Reference Premiere: 4 x RP-280's, 1 x RP 450C and dual R-115W's
Marantz 7011 AVR
LG OLED B6
Apple TV 4K
PlayStation Pro
post #27620 of 28195 Old 03-10-2019, 04:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

TruMotion Off Real Cinema On.

Motion smoothing makes everything look ugly imo, even at lower levels

Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Sony UBP-X700, Atomos Ninja Inferno
post #27621 of 28195 Old 03-10-2019, 05:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post
TruMotion Off Real Cinema On.

Motion smoothing makes everything look ugly imo, even at lower levels

Thanks!

Klipsch Reference Premiere: 4 x RP-280's, 1 x RP 450C and dual R-115W's
Marantz 7011 AVR
LG OLED B6
Apple TV 4K
PlayStation Pro
post #27622 of 28195 Old 03-10-2019, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Downgrading from 5.30.25?

I've tried steps outlined in this thread that were posted well over a year ago (of basically using your PC to act as an LG mirror serving up the firmware update), and spent a half day on it, but could not get it to work. I tried instructions from other sites as well, but no luck.

Is anyone able to downgrade LG OLED B6 once it is all the way up to 5.30.25? Anyone? Is this too late?
post #27623 of 28195 Old 03-11-2019, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLWiLL View Post
Downgrading from 5.30.25?

I've tried steps outlined in this thread that were posted well over a year ago (of basically using your PC to act as an LG mirror serving up the firmware update), and spent a half day on it, but could not get it to work. I tried instructions from other sites as well, but no luck.

Is anyone able to downgrade LG OLED B6 once it is all the way up to 5.30.25? Anyone? Is this too late?
I don't know this for 100% but if you are running the latest firmware (and perhaps the one before that) and looking to step back to 5.30.25 my understanding is this is no longer possible.
post #27624 of 28195 Old 03-11-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post
I have OLED Light at 42 for a 170 nit calibration in SDR. (Contrast 83)

3D and HDR are both at 100 of course.

So you do use 100 OLED light? I thought it was taboo to do so lol. I'm sorry but whats the point of having a TV if you can't enjoy the pop at 100 OLED light
post #27625 of 28195 Old 03-11-2019, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCaron View Post
I don't know this for 100% but if you are running the latest firmware (and perhaps the one before that) and looking to step back to 5.30.25 my understanding is this is no longer possible.

Is anyone able to hack this and make it possible???
post #27626 of 28195 Old 03-11-2019, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So you do use 100 OLED light? I thought it was taboo to do so lol. I'm sorry but whats the point of having a TV if you can't enjoy the pop at 100 OLED light
Probably should scan here... https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...ad-photos.html long thread so hop around some.

What 3D games do have BTW? What are your favorite 3D movie discs?
edo101 likes this.

post #27627 of 28195 Old 03-11-2019, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCaron View Post
You still can downgrade by upgrading to a 05.40.xx version first and then using the LgDTVUpDater to downgrade to a 04.xx version.
post #27628 of 28195 Old 03-11-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Probably should scan here... https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...ad-photos.html long thread so hop around some.

What 3D games do have BTW? What are your favorite 3D movie discs?
Here's a list of them:
http://helixmod.blogspot.com/2013/10...y-updated.html

But the games I got are Arkham Knight, Arkham CIty, Arkham Asylum, GTA V, Bioshock 2, witcher 3, Shadow of Modor and War, Ace Combat 7

Movie wise, I dont own any discs (So I am missing out on the best 3D movie experience). what I do have are MKVs though. Being a cheap college student for now till i settle somewhere and buy the discs I have MKVs of. Pacific Rim being my number 1 priority

I know I need to play Blu Rays on my TV. I have MKVs of LOTR extended as well as the blu rays. I borrowed my brothers PS4 and played LOTR. even though its 1080p, I can't believe how much more of an upgrade it was over the MKV version. In fact the 1080p BD looks just as good as the 4K HDR MKVs I have.

I am looking into getting a cheap BD drive instead though to slap into my desktop. Do those give you the same quality as normal BD players?
post #27629 of 28195 Old 03-11-2019, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Here's a list of them:
http://helixmod.blogspot.com/2013/10...y-updated.html

But the games I got are Arkham Knight, Arkham CIty, Arkham Asylum, GTA V, Bioshock 2, witcher 3, Shadow of Modor and War, Ace Combat 7

Movie wise, I dont own any discs (So I am missing out on the best 3D movie experience). what I do have are MKVs though. Being a cheap college student for now till i settle somewhere and buy the discs I have MKVs of. Pacific Rim being my number 1 priority

I know I need to play Blu Rays on my TV. I have MKVs of LOTR extended as well as the blu rays. I borrowed my brothers PS4 and played LOTR. even though its 1080p, I can't believe how much more of an upgrade it was over the MKV version. In fact the 1080p BD looks just as good as the 4K HDR MKVs I have.

I am looking into getting a cheap BD drive instead though to slap into my desktop. Do those give you the same quality as normal BD players?
Wow...I had no idea there were so many 3D games. I do not know if a BD drive would give you the same PQ as a regular BD player. I would tend to think so...but don't know. BTW your brothers PS4 will play 3D discs I believe. And many are not to expensive at this point. Newer ones are...but many older ones, not so much.

post #27630 of 28195 Old 03-11-2019, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
For HDR of course you use OLED 100

and 3D yeah you need it there. OLED 100 gives me a 140 nit calibration through the glasses in 3D.

But not in SDR 2D, which is likely the majority of what most people watch. It should never be OLED 100 in SDR 2D. 42 is what I use there for 170nit calibration. Used to have it as low as 30 for closer to a 100nit calibration but I bumped it up because I do watch with the lights on for regular TV shows, and with the lights on OLED 30 was too dark to make out shadow detail.

Last edited by morphinapg; 03-11-2019 at 03:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
arc , C6-B6 , calibration , computer , desktop , firmware update , lg c6 pc sdr hdr , lg oled , monitor , oled , oled b6 , oled lg , screen damage , screen uniformity , settings , soundbar , there is sig

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page