2016 LG C6-B6 owners thread - Page 931 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 264138Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #27901 of 28037 Old 06-07-2019, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
morphinapg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,687
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2239 Post(s)
Liked: 1768
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner842 View Post
Maybe its not and this is the effect of the V5 firmwares on all series 6 oleds.

Has any other C6 owner tested for it with the correct 0% black test file and pitch black conditions?

Its a bit like the B6 with .65 firmware, some say its fixed, but its confirmed by a few members on AVforums UK that it clearly is not fixed.
Its either a case of a slight variation in panels or people not testing for it correctly.
My C6 is on the most recent firmware, and I always watch in a blacked out room and my blacks have always been perfect. I've tested perfectly black slides in HDR10 and SDR and they are perfectly black.

The only thing that's not is DV (at any brightness), but ONLY on a perfectly black image. If there is literally anything on screen, then I get perfect blacks when brightness is at 49.

From everything I've seen, my experience is typical for just about every C6 out there.
wilbur_the_goose likes this.

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HTCT780, Base PS4, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Philips BDP7502, AV.io 4K
Check out my video game movie edits
morphinapg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #27902 of 28037 Old 06-08-2019, 03:56 AM
Senior Member
 
dvdmd1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post
My C6 is on the most recent firmware, and I always watch in a blacked out room and my blacks have always been perfect. I've tested perfectly black slides in HDR10 and SDR and they are perfectly black.

The only thing that's not is DV (at any brightness), but ONLY on a perfectly black image. If there is literally anything on screen, then I get perfect blacks when brightness is at 49.

From everything I've seen, my experience is typical for just about every C6 out there.
I've never had any black issues with my B6 and i'm on the new Korean firmware 05.30.70.
SinGA likes this.
dvdmd1 is offline  
post #27903 of 28037 Old 06-08-2019, 05:56 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 382
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmd1 View Post
I've never had any black issues with my B6 and i'm on the new Korean firmware 05.30.70.
Same for me. Newest firmware available, never had issues.
SinGA likes this.
OwnerOfLg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #27904 of 28037 Old 06-08-2019, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member
 
ll Viper ll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 825
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnerOfLg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmd1 View Post
I've never had any black issues with my B6 and i'm on the new Korean firmware 05.30.70.
Same for me. Newest firmware available, never had issues.
Please stop posting these unscientific responses. This is specifically about the removal of zero blacks with is a factually accurate statement on all b6s after 4.21.30 (or whatever it wa&#115 firmware.

Claiming you 'have no issues' just confuses the subject for people that are actually looking for an answer
ll Viper ll is offline  
post #27905 of 28037 Old 06-08-2019, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
archer75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,526
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 341
2016 LG C6-B6 owners thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnerOfLg View Post
Same for me. Newest firmware available, never had issues.


Me either. I update each firmware right away and haven’t ever noticed a difference. When people complain I have no idea what they’re talking about.

Maybe there would be a difference if I ran some test patterns. But if I don’t notice any difference in day to day usage then it really doesn’t matter.
richlife, SinGA and Seilerbird like this.

Streaming Devices: Nvidia Shield, 2x Roku 3's, 1st/2nd gen chromecast, ATV4k, Apple TV 4, xbox 360/one
Displays: Vizio M602i-B3, LG OLED65B6, panasonic ax100u on a 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 40" Samsung
Receivers: Denon X3300, Yamaha RX-V663. Bluray/UHD player: Oppo UDP-203

Last edited by archer75; 06-08-2019 at 07:31 AM.
archer75 is offline  
post #27906 of 28037 Old 06-08-2019, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RickD_99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Birmingham, AL USA
Posts: 1,527
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post
My C6 is on the most recent firmware, and I always watch in a blacked out room and my blacks have always been perfect. I've tested perfectly black slides in HDR10 and SDR and they are perfectly black.

The only thing that's not is DV (at any brightness), but ONLY on a perfectly black image. If there is literally anything on screen, then I get perfect blacks when brightness is at 49.

From everything I've seen, my experience is typical for just about every C6 out there.
Could not agree more with the above...my 55” C6 has the latest firmware installed and has retained those inky blacks with each firmware update applied.

Going on 3 years of ownership now this TV is one of my best purchases ever. I am currently watching Germany/China World Cup action in 4K and I am continually astounded by the overall picture quality of this set when fed a quality source.
richlife, SinGA and Seilerbird like this.

LG 55C6P OLED Display
Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray Player (65-0131 firmware)
ELAC unifi B5 Speakers
NAD C316BEE Stereo Amplifier
Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 Sound Bar (3.2 firmware)/Xbox One X 4K Gaming Console/Apple TV 4K
RickD_99 is online now  
post #27907 of 28037 Old 06-08-2019, 08:10 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post
Me either. I update each firmware right away and haven’t ever noticed a difference. When people complain I have no idea what they’re talking about.

Maybe there would be a difference if I ran some test patterns. But if I don’t notice any difference in day to day usage then it really doesn’t matter.
That's good you don't notice it and I would advise not to go looking for it, its only noticeable in a pitch dark room with a complete black screen anyway, some tv shows/movies often fade to black at times like just before rolling credits start to play for example.
gunner842 is offline  
post #27908 of 28037 Old 06-08-2019, 09:10 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 6
"Please stop posting these unscientific responses". I haven't seen any "scientific" responses at all 😉
In the Avforums one professional calibrator, "Canary_Jules", posted his take on an early version of 5.x.x on a B6. According to him on that particular B6 there was nothing wrong with sdr. On the other hand hdr had been "blessed" by elevated blacks in the upgrade from 4.x.x. He had a kind of cumbersome remedy involving the system menu but, again according to him and on that specific sample of a B6, it was possible to fix the hdr blacks. It would be very interesting to have some more stories from pros calibrating B6 5.x.x to have the confirmation on whatever is the problem here. Me, I have no trouble with the blacks but then my viewing room is not ever pitch black.
richlife likes this.
DSirk is offline  
post #27909 of 28037 Old 06-08-2019, 10:36 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSirk View Post
"Please stop posting these unscientific responses". I haven't seen any "scientific" responses at all 😉
In the Avforums one professional calibrator, "Canary_Jules", posted his take on an early version of 5.x.x on a B6. According to him on that particular B6 there was nothing wrong with sdr. On the other hand hdr had been "blessed" by elevated blacks in the upgrade from 4.x.x. He had a kind of cumbersome remedy involving the system menu but, again according to him and on that specific sample of a B6, it was possible to fix the hdr blacks. It would be very interesting to have some more stories from pros calibrating B6 5.x.x to have the confirmation on whatever is the problem here. Me, I have no trouble with the blacks but then my viewing room is not ever pitch black.
What do you mean by scientific responses?
gunner842 is offline  
post #27910 of 28037 Old 06-08-2019, 10:59 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 6
https://explorable.com/what-is-research is one definition and you can choose and pick another but I wrote that with a wink and I do not think us discussing that will bring us closer to an answer so you can just skip that part of my post if that suits you.
jmanthey likes this.

Last edited by DSirk; 06-08-2019 at 04:11 PM.
DSirk is offline  
post #27911 of 28037 Old 06-08-2019, 03:44 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSirk View Post
https://explorable.com/what-is-research is one definition and you can choose and pick another but I wrote that with a wink and I do not think us discussing that will bring us closer to an answer so you can just skip that part of my writing if that suits you.
Hi

Should of noted, I understand the meaning, lol. Just wasn’t sure what comments you were referring to, that fix you mention i believe can help but I’m sure I’ve read posts that have tried it without success.

Anyway I may update from v4 firmware to latest soon, like you I very rarely watch in complete dark room and the v5 firmwares do offer improvements in other areas, better near black performance and brighter HDR game mode I believe are some.
DSirk likes this.
gunner842 is offline  
post #27912 of 28037 Old 06-08-2019, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
ll Viper ll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 825
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner842 View Post
Hi

Should of noted, I understand the meaning, lol. Just wasn’t sure what comments you were referring to, that fix you mention i believe can help but I’m sure I’ve read posts that have tried it without success.

Anyway I may update from v4 firmware to latest soon, like you I very rarely watch in complete dark room and the v5 firmwares do offer improvements in other areas, better near black performance and brighter HDR game mode I believe are some.
The better near black performance is a lot harder to quantify than going from 0 mll blacks to non-zero mll blacks. I’m not saying one is better than the other but when people post comments in relation to the TV’s dark room performance where they say they don’t notice anything wrong (or insist there IS nothing wrong) with their set, compared to how it shipped, now that they are on the new firmware, it could have disastrous effects for new users.

Let me repeat this because it is a FACT. If you go past a certain firmware on the B6, your set will no longer be capable of 0 blacks, and you will not be able to revert back to an older firmware that possesses those zero blacks. I am 100% positive as of the posting of this, that is true. If you dispute it, you’re living in an alternate reality.
Bleeding Edge likes this.
ll Viper ll is offline  
post #27913 of 28037 Old 06-08-2019, 07:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 319
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by ll Viper ll View Post
The better near black performance is a lot harder to quantify than going from 0 mll blacks to non-zero mll blacks. I’m not saying one is better than the other but when people post comments in relation to the TV’s dark room performance where they say they don’t notice anything wrong (or insist there IS nothing wrong) with their set, compared to how it shipped, now that they are on the new firmware, it could have disastrous effects for new users.

Let me repeat this because it is a FACT. If you go past a certain firmware on the B6, your set will no longer be capable of 0 blacks, and you will not be able to revert back to an older firmware that possesses those zero blacks. I am 100% positive as of the posting of this, that is true. If you dispute it, you’re living in an alternate reality.
I guess I'm living in an alternate reality...

But if you are still on V4 firmware then just stay on that and use an external streamer. There is literally no benefit to upgrading the FW on these LG OLEDs.
Bleeding Edge and SinGA like this.

Sony 55A9F
LG 55B6
Micolash is offline  
post #27914 of 28037 Old 06-08-2019, 10:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 382
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by ll Viper ll View Post
The better near black performance is a lot harder to quantify than going from 0 mll blacks to non-zero mll blacks. I’m not saying one is better than the other but when people post comments in relation to the TV’s dark room performance where they say they don’t notice anything wrong (or insist there IS nothing wrong) with their set, compared to how it shipped, now that they are on the new firmware, it could have disastrous effects for new users.

Let me repeat this because it is a FACT. If you go past a certain firmware on the B6, your set will no longer be capable of 0 blacks, and you will not be able to revert back to an older firmware that possesses those zero blacks. I am 100% positive as of the posting of this, that is true. If you dispute it, you’re living in an alternate reality.
I think it's your post thats have disastrous effects for new users (you are telling them to stay old firmware version, possibly even downgrade from security upgrades), a group of few people in an old forum keep insisting every b6 tv has this problem, when you cannot prove it affects to every set out there. Most of us have no problems even if watching dark room. You who experience issues could have bad panels or there is some other unknown factor that causes this.

Last edited by OwnerOfLg; 06-08-2019 at 11:36 PM.
OwnerOfLg is offline  
post #27915 of 28037 Old 06-09-2019, 12:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
morphinapg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,687
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2239 Post(s)
Liked: 1768
It is a well known universal problem on B6. Some people just aren't able to tell.
Tom C, Bleeding Edge and gunner842 like this.

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HTCT780, Base PS4, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Philips BDP7502, AV.io 4K
Check out my video game movie edits
morphinapg is offline  
post #27916 of 28037 Old 06-09-2019, 02:08 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnerOfLg View Post
I think it's your post thats have disastrous effects for new users (you are telling them to stay old firmware version, possibly even downgrade from security upgrades), a group of few people in an old forum keep insisting every b6 tv has this problem, when you cannot prove it affects to every set out there. Most of us have no problems even if watching dark room. You who experience issues could have bad panels or there is some other unknown factor that causes this.
It does effect every B6, It's just that some people do not spot it, be it room conditions using the correct content to see and so on and even eye sight.
Its great if people don't see it, good for them.
The issue was discussed by loads of people on various forums when the first V5 firmware was released with the issue, since then people have just lived with it due to LGs constant denials the issue even exists, or these people have upgraded to a newer TV.
gunner842 is offline  
post #27917 of 28037 Old 06-09-2019, 05:41 AM
Advanced Member
 
ll Viper ll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 825
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnerOfLg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ll Viper ll View Post
The better near black performance is a lot harder to quantify than going from 0 mll blacks to non-zero mll blacks. I’m not saying one is better than the other but when people post comments in relation to the TV’s dark room performance where they say they don’t notice anything wrong (or insist there IS nothing wrong) with their set, compared to how it shipped, now that they are on the new firmware, it could have disastrous effects for new users.

Let me repeat this because it is a FACT. If you go past a certain firmware on the B6, your set will no longer be capable of 0 blacks, and you will not be able to revert back to an older firmware that possesses those zero blacks. I am 100% positive as of the posting of this, that is true. If you dispute it, you’re living in an alternate reality.
I think it's your post thats have disastrous effects for new users (you are telling them to stay old firmware version, possibly even downgrade from security upgrade&#115, a group of few people in an old forum keep insisting every b6 tv has this problem, when you cannot prove it affects to every set out there. Most of us have no problems even if watching dark room. You who experience issues could have bad panels or there is some other unknown factor that causes this.
*looks at username*

OK, please tell me how you're not schilling?

Seriously, LG makes a good TV but you can't deny removing a feature that is advertised as one of the TV's key selling points without telling consumers and then making it impossible to revert the changes isn't anti-consumer.

Plenty of people have thought about filing class action lawsuits on this. Don't be ignorant.
ll Viper ll is offline  
post #27918 of 28037 Old 06-10-2019, 05:16 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by ll Viper ll View Post
*looks at username*

OK, please tell me how you're not schilling?

Seriously, LG makes a good TV but you can't deny removing a feature that is advertised as one of the TV's key selling points without telling consumers and then making it impossible to revert the changes isn't anti-consumer.

Plenty of people have thought about filing class action lawsuits on this. Don't be ignorant.
Maybe your keyboard is on an old firmware too?? lol
SinGA is offline  
post #27919 of 28037 Old 06-15-2019, 05:24 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Green Horizontal Bands

I bought an LG OLED65E6V television in July 2016. Green horizontal bands now appear across the panel near the bottom and sometimes ¾ way up the screen. It appears with all inputs – satellite decoders (x2) live TV and recorded TV, 4K Bluray and computer. All inputs are linked to the signal sources by 4K HDMi cables. Any ideas???
RickHeff is offline  
post #27920 of 28037 Old 06-15-2019, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
SteveCaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 985
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Which Dolby Vision mode is considered closest to original intent of content Bright or Dark? Both look good but I like to keep HDR and Dolby Vision settings closest to what was intended to be seen.
SteveCaron is offline  
post #27921 of 28037 Old 06-15-2019, 10:11 PM
Member
 
northrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Finland
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCaron View Post
Which Dolby Vision mode is considered closest to original intent of content Bright or Dark?

With my B6 the luminance of DV Bright is closer to the EOTF (Target Y) from 0 to 50 % level. DV Dark is darker than the EOTF up till 50 %. After that Dark is closer but they both are too bright compared to the EOTF. So pick your poison . I haven´t check the colors yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DV_DarkVsBright.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	2580622  

LG OLED 55B6V, Finnsat FST03PVR, Toshiba 1T HDD, Genelec 6010B, BK XLS200-DF MK2
JVC DLA-X35BE, PS3, Apple TV3, Yamaha RX-V383, Tannoy Mercury F2, Tannoy Mercury F1, BK Monolith

Last edited by northrob; 06-15-2019 at 10:25 PM.
northrob is offline  
post #27922 of 28037 Old 06-15-2019, 10:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
nc88keyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,570
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojangles View Post
Unfortunately developed burn in on my LG C6

Thank goodness for Best Buy protection plan. Been debating between 65” LG C9, 65” Sony A9G and 75” Sony X950G. $2,499 flash sale at NewEgg may have just sealed the deal and will do price match at Best Buy tomorrow AM!
BB is usually smarter and knows that is an unauthorized dealer. Wishing you the best of luck sir!

Hope you get someone that DGAF! cause that is NOT sold by newegg.

LG OLED65C9PUA Class HDR 4K UHD Smart OLED TV (2019 Model)
Color: Black / Screen Size: 65" / Content: N/A
Sold by Gameliquidations What's this?
nc88keyz is offline  
post #27923 of 28037 Old 06-15-2019, 11:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
morphinapg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,687
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2239 Post(s)
Liked: 1768
Quote:
Originally Posted by northrob View Post
With my B6 the luminance of DV Bright is closer to the EOTF (Target Y) from 0 to 50 % level. DV Dark is darker than the EOTF up till 50 %. After that Dark is closer but they both are too bright compared to the EOTF. So pick your poison . I haven´t check the colors yet.
How did you measure this? DV levels will vary from content to content because of the adaptive tonemapping algorithms.

My player has a mode that converts from HDR10 to DV, but that mode crushes black levels so that conversion isn't an accurate way to measure those things either. Do you somehow have DV encoded test patterns with no metadata?

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HTCT780, Base PS4, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Philips BDP7502, AV.io 4K
Check out my video game movie edits
morphinapg is offline  
post #27924 of 28037 Old 06-16-2019, 01:29 AM
Member
 
northrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Finland
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post
How did you measure this? DV levels will vary from content to content because of the adaptive tonemapping algorithms. Do you somehow have DV encoded test patterns with no metadata?


I used Masciola`s DV test patterns. I guess they are encoded with 4000 nit metadata.

LG OLED 55B6V, Finnsat FST03PVR, Toshiba 1T HDD, Genelec 6010B, BK XLS200-DF MK2
JVC DLA-X35BE, PS3, Apple TV3, Yamaha RX-V383, Tannoy Mercury F2, Tannoy Mercury F1, BK Monolith
northrob is offline  
post #27925 of 28037 Old 06-16-2019, 01:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
IMWhizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 1,246
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 908 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by northrob View Post
I used Masciola`s DV test patterns. I guess they are encoded with 4000 nit metadata.


If so, how about the color setting in dv bright?

Klipsch Reference Premiere: 4 x RP-280's, 1 x RP 450C and dual R-115W's
Marantz 7011 AVR
LG OLED B6
Apple TV 4K
PlayStation Pro
IMWhizzle is offline  
post #27926 of 28037 Old 06-16-2019, 01:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
morphinapg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,687
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2239 Post(s)
Liked: 1768
Quote:
Originally Posted by northrob View Post
I used Masciola`s DV test patterns. I guess they are encoded with 4000 nit metadata.
That's probably not a great idea. In order to do proper measurements of DV, you essentially need DV patterns specifically made for that display. DV is complicated that way because of its super complicated tonemapping process. Basically, every display will have a different intended target for those patterns based on the capabilities of your display vs that which mastered the pattern. So the only way to know how bright each pattern *should* be displayed is if the patterns were specifically made for your exact set.

Those patterns might give you some idea of how the tonemapping is working for movies based around similar metadata (although the dynamic nature of the metadata changes that), but they won't tell you anything about what is more "correct".

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HTCT780, Base PS4, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Philips BDP7502, AV.io 4K
Check out my video game movie edits
morphinapg is offline  
post #27927 of 28037 Old 06-16-2019, 02:22 AM
Member
 
northrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Finland
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMWhizzle View Post
If so, how about the color setting in dv bright?
Here are charts with OLED light 50, Contrast 100, Brightness 50 and Color 50. Looks pretty good considering CMS is untouched and only white balance is tweaked in Service Menu. Luminance errors are quite big though. The lack of proper "Black and 0% color patterns" needed for HCFR might have something to do with that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Colors_Bright.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	251.0 KB
ID:	2580656   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIE_Bright.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	2580658   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIE_Dark.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	2580660  

LG OLED 55B6V, Finnsat FST03PVR, Toshiba 1T HDD, Genelec 6010B, BK XLS200-DF MK2
JVC DLA-X35BE, PS3, Apple TV3, Yamaha RX-V383, Tannoy Mercury F2, Tannoy Mercury F1, BK Monolith

Last edited by northrob; 06-16-2019 at 02:36 AM.
northrob is offline  
post #27928 of 28037 Old 06-16-2019, 02:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
IMWhizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 1,246
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 908 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by northrob View Post
Here are charts with OLED light 50, Contrast 100, Brightness 50 and Color 50. Looks pretty good considering CMS is untouched and only white balance is tweaked in Service Mode. Luminance errors are quite big though. The lack of proper "Black and 0% color patterns" needed for HCFR might have something to do with that.


So you’ve also adjusted settings in the service menu?

Klipsch Reference Premiere: 4 x RP-280's, 1 x RP 450C and dual R-115W's
Marantz 7011 AVR
LG OLED B6
Apple TV 4K
PlayStation Pro
IMWhizzle is offline  
post #27929 of 28037 Old 06-16-2019, 02:26 AM
Member
 
northrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Finland
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post
That's probably not a great idea. In order to do proper measurements of DV, you essentially need DV patterns specifically made for that display. Those patterns might give you some idea of how the tonemapping is working for movies based around similar metadata (although the dynamic nature of the metadata changes that), but they won't tell you anything about what is more "correct".
So basically in your opinion Masciola`s patterns are totally useless

LG OLED 55B6V, Finnsat FST03PVR, Toshiba 1T HDD, Genelec 6010B, BK XLS200-DF MK2
JVC DLA-X35BE, PS3, Apple TV3, Yamaha RX-V383, Tannoy Mercury F2, Tannoy Mercury F1, BK Monolith
northrob is offline  
post #27930 of 28037 Old 06-16-2019, 02:28 AM
Member
 
northrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Finland
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMWhizzle View Post
So you’ve also adjusted settings in the service menu?
2 pt white balance

LG OLED 55B6V, Finnsat FST03PVR, Toshiba 1T HDD, Genelec 6010B, BK XLS200-DF MK2
JVC DLA-X35BE, PS3, Apple TV3, Yamaha RX-V383, Tannoy Mercury F2, Tannoy Mercury F1, BK Monolith
northrob is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
arc , C6-B6 , calibration , computer , desktop , firmware update , lg c6 pc sdr hdr , lg oled , monitor , oled , oled b6 , oled lg , screen damage , screen uniformity , settings , soundbar , there is sig

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off