2016 LG C6-B6 owners thread - Page 933 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 264135Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #27961 of 28037 Old 06-24-2019, 05:20 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Hi,
I’ve been thinking a bit about getting a 4K Apple TV, but remember reading here (or elsewhere) that people were having problems with lip sync on material in HDR/DV ( I think?). Has this problem been solved or are there still problems?

The Apple TV will be connected to the TV through a Denon X3300-reciever and we’ll use Netflix, Prime, HBO, movie rentals and Hulu mostly
Nordvest22 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #27962 of 28037 Old 06-24-2019, 06:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
archer75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,526
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordvest22 View Post
Hi,
I’ve been thinking a bit about getting a 4K Apple TV, but remember reading here (or elsewhere) that people were having problems with lip sync on material in HDR/DV ( I think?). Has this problem been solved or are there still problems?

The Apple TV will be connected to the TV through a Denon X3300-reciever and we’ll use Netflix, Prime, HBO, movie rentals and Hulu mostly
Been using a ATV4k on my LG B6 and Denon x3300 since it came out. No issues. I primarily watch infuse and netflix though I have done some prime and hulu. And many other apps.
Nordvest22 likes this.

Streaming Devices: Nvidia Shield, 2x Roku 3's, 1st/2nd gen chromecast, ATV4k, Apple TV 4, xbox 360/one
Displays: Vizio M602i-B3, LG OLED65B6, panasonic ax100u on a 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 40" Samsung
Receivers: Denon X3300, Yamaha RX-V663. Bluray/UHD player: Oppo UDP-203
archer75 is offline  
post #27963 of 28037 Old 06-24-2019, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Patsfan123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Quincy, MA
Posts: 2,459
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordvest22 View Post
Hi,
I’ve been thinking a bit about getting a 4K Apple TV, but remember reading here (or elsewhere) that people were having problems with lip sync on material in HDR/DV ( I think?). Has this problem been solved or are there still problems?

The Apple TV will be connected to the TV through a Denon X3300-reciever and we’ll use Netflix, Prime, HBO, movie rentals and Hulu mostly
I have to set a manual delay for DV content on AppleTV. HDR10 and SDR do not require the delay.
Nordvest22 likes this.

LG 65C6P FW: 05.30.70 | Onkyo TX-RZ730 5.1.4 | Oppo UDP-203 | Sony UBP-X700 | Xbox One X | Chromecast Ultra | Apple TV 4K
LG 55EG9100 | LG 60PK550 | Samsung LN-S4095D | Samsung UBD‑K8500 | Philips BDP7501 | Panasonic DMP-BDT110
Patsfan123 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #27964 of 28037 Old 06-24-2019, 08:50 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post
Been using a ATV4k on my LG B6 and Denon x3300 since it came out. No issues. I primarily watch infuse and netflix though I have done some prime and hulu. And many other apps.

That sounds promising! Have your tried it with the Denon turned off and the signal just passively passing through it and the sound coming from the TV-speakers? Is it in sync then too?
Nordvest22 is offline  
post #27965 of 28037 Old 06-24-2019, 08:53 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan123 View Post
I have to set a manual delay for DV content on AppleTV. HDR10 and SDR do not require the delay.
Interesting! Is it possible to tell the Apple TV to not use DV (from Netflix and rentals for example) and just use HDR10 instead? I work prefer avoiding having to fiddle with delay settings and rather take a small hit in quality
Nordvest22 is offline  
post #27966 of 28037 Old 06-24-2019, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
archer75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,526
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordvest22 View Post
That sounds promising! Have your tried it with the Denon turned off and the signal just passively passing through it and the sound coming from the TV-speakers? Is it in sync then too?


I don’t know if I have tried that. I could try later. I recently watched Jessica Jones and the entire season was in perfect sync in Dolby vision.
Nordvest22 likes this.

Streaming Devices: Nvidia Shield, 2x Roku 3's, 1st/2nd gen chromecast, ATV4k, Apple TV 4, xbox 360/one
Displays: Vizio M602i-B3, LG OLED65B6, panasonic ax100u on a 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 40" Samsung
Receivers: Denon X3300, Yamaha RX-V663. Bluray/UHD player: Oppo UDP-203
archer75 is offline  
post #27967 of 28037 Old 06-24-2019, 09:09 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post
I don’t know if I have tried that. I could try later. I recently watched Jessica Jones and the entire season was in perfect sync in Dolby vision.
That’s very kind, but only if it is not too much bother! I thought everyone were having problems so this is already much more promising than I thought, especially since you have the exact same combination that we have
Nordvest22 is offline  
post #27968 of 28037 Old 06-24-2019, 09:26 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Hi all, my B6 got updated to 05.30.03, then I updated it willingly to 05.30.60 to see if that would help the black glow, it didn't.

I borrowed a friends windows PC and am having a hard time getting the downgrade process rolling. I firstly can't find a download to 04.31.20, I've heard there's a link to to it on this site/thread but I can't find it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Also, how what document do you edit to change the IP addresses on the windows side of things? I downloaded the new firmware just to see how it unzipped and it only gave me the software EPK.

Thanks in advance.
tendies is offline  
post #27969 of 28037 Old 06-24-2019, 01:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Fackamato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Renton, WA
Posts: 250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 48
How many have gotten their displays calibrated? Here's mine:

Had an ISF certified person come over and calibrate my old OLED. Unfortunately this TV doesn't have a lot of settings available for the HDR modes, so it could not be made as accurate as the SDR bright/dark modes. However, still a huge improvement over the previous settings. Bright ended up really well, especially the greyscales which have a crazy low deltaE. Greys in dark mode were even better. HDR (no calibration available for Dolby Vision on this TV) is a bit too bright in the middle but the colors stay close together.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bright Post Calibration.PNG
Views:	46
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	2583988   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dark Post Calibration.PNG
Views:	40
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	2583990   Click image for larger version

Name:	HDR Post Calibration.PNG
Views:	38
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	2583992  
wilbur_the_goose likes this.

LG OLED55C6P calibrated
Denon X4400H 5.2.4
Denovo HTM-10
HSU Research surrounds
2x18" Dayton Ultimax sealed < Pro-LITE 7.5 amp < MiniDSP 2x4 HD
Fackamato is offline  
post #27970 of 28037 Old 06-24-2019, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,223
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4768
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinHEMI05 View Post
Been a long time since I checked in on this thread since getting my 65" B6 Chad B calibrated TV and it's coming up on 3 years since I got it. There's nothing wrong with my TV, it's still superb, but 3 years is about when I start looking to see if it's time to upgrade.

Has anyone gone from the C6 to the latest LG offerings? Do you feel there was significant improvement over the B6?

Also, I see that there's still an enormous price increase to go to 77". I want a bigger one but am not willing to pay current 77" prices. Perhaps it may be better to wait until those prices come down before upgrading again.



ETA: Correction to calibrator. I got mixed up, it was Chad B.
The WOLED stack LGD used on the 2017s, 2018s and 2019s is identical to the stack they introduced on the 2016s.

'Upcoming' which probably means next year, LGD will introduce a new WOLED Stack that increases color gamut to >100% DCI-P3 and 85% Rec.2020.

They also had 120Hz BFI (240Hz Effective Refresh Rate) implemented on the 2019s but pulled it back at the last minute (so it's likely to be delivered in 2020).

And prices on 77" WOLEDs have been on a 25-30% year-on-year pricedown curve. 77C8 launch MSRP was $9000, launch MSRP on the 77C9 was $7000, and I'm guessing we'll see a launch MSRP of $5000 on the 77C20.

For all those reasons, I've decided to hold off jumping on a 77C9 until after CES'20. If the C20s don't introduce the new BR/GB WOLED stack and fix the 120Hz BFI (or they enable 120Hz BFI on the 2019s) I may jump on a 77C9 durng Spring Closeput Season.

Otherwise, the C20 will be a much more significant upgrade over the C9 than the C9 was over the C8.

Beyond the 'Upconing' BR/GB WOLED stack LG has promised and which I'm expecting next year, in the 'Future' they will introduce another modified WOLED stack with 130% efficiency (meaning probably peak brightness levels of ~1200cd/m2). I doubt this 'future' translates to 2021, but if it does, that might be worth waiting another year for...

The bottom line is that the C6 is a pretty darned good TV. It's near-perfection for SDR and pretty capable for a first-generation HDR TV. Since then, LG has introduced:

1) better burn-in compensation/control (which I don't care about because I don't watch cable news and am under 2000 hours total in ~3 years)

2) a number of improvements to HDR including higher peak output levels, but that landscape is still shifting so you'll get a more fully-baked solution for each additional year of patience.

3) much easier autocal capability (which I'll care about on a new WOLED but already have my C6 dialed-in).

4) Atmos sound including Atmos-over-ARC (which I don't care about since I stream through a FireStick4KTV into my Atmos AVR).

My biggest gripe with my 65C6P is the less-than-perfect near-black uniformity, but that is an area where it appears that LGD has not made much progress over the past 3 years and the Panel Lottery is unfortunately still in place...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	53
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	2584018  
fafrd is offline  
post #27971 of 28037 Old 06-24-2019, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
JustinHEMI05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 669
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
The WOLED stack LGD used on the 2017s, 2018s and 2019s is identical to the stack they introduced on the 2016s.

'Upcoming' which probably means next year, LGD will introduce a new WOLED Stack that increases color gamut to >100% DCI-P3 and 85% Rec.2020.

They also had 120Hz BFI (240Hz Effective Refresh Rate) implemented on the 2019s but pulled it back at the last minute (so it's likely to be delivered in 2020).

And prices on 77" WOLEDs have been on a 25-30% year-on-year pricedown curve. 77C8 launch MSRP was $9000, launch MSRP on the 77C9 was $7000, and I'm guessing we'll see a launch MSRP of $5000 on the 77C20.

For all those reasons, I've decided to hold off jumping on a 77C9 until after CES'20. If the C20s don't introduce the new BR/GB WOLED stack and fix the 120Hz BFI (or they enable 120Hz BFI on the 2019s) I may jump on a 77C9 durng Spring Closeput Season.

Otherwise, the C20 will be a much more significant upgrade over the C9 than the C9 was over the C8.

Beyond the 'Upconing' BR/GB WOLED stack LG has promised and which I'm expecting next year, in the 'Future' they will introduce another modified WOLED stack with 130% efficiency (meaning probably peak brightness levels of ~1200cd/m2). I doubt this 'future' translates to 2021, but if it does, that might be worth waiting another year for...

The bottom line is that the C6 is a pretty darned good TV. It's near-perfection for SDR and pretty capable for a first-generation HDR TV. Since then, LG has introduced:

1) better burn-in compensation/control (which I don't care about because I don't watch cable news and am under 2000 hours total in ~3 years)

2) a number of improvements to HDR including higher peak output levels, but that landscape is still shifting so you'll get a more fully-baked solution for each additional year of patience.

3) much easier autocal capability (which I'll care about on a new WOLED but already have my C6 dialed-in).

4) Atmos sound including Atmos-over-ARC (which I don't care about since I stream through a FireStick4KTV into my Atmos AVR).

My biggest gripe with my 65C6P is the less-than-perfect near-black uniformity, but that is an area where it appears that LGD has not made much progress over the past 3 years and the Panel Lottery is unfortunately still in place...

Thank you for a tremendously informative reply! I'm certainly in no hurry as my B6 is still superb (except Dolby Vision), and I definitely want to go bigger when it's time for an upgrade. Sub 5K is when I start getting interested because street prices will be better at points.

| LG OLED 65B6P | Marantz AV7704 | Emotiva XPA-7 | SVS Ultra Tower 7.2 System | Dual SVS PB2000 | Oppo UDP-203 | TiVo Bolt+ | Roku Ultra |
JustinHEMI05 is offline  
post #27972 of 28037 Old 06-24-2019, 06:09 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_6 View Post
My B6 is still on the 4.31.20 firmware so I don't know what to do. The Oppo beta firmware seemed to fix the DV grey bar issue on Valerian and a couple other DV discs so I may not upgrade, especially since the downgrade option is no longer available.
Is there really no way to downgrade anymore?
tendies is offline  
post #27973 of 28037 Old 06-25-2019, 06:21 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So i have C6. Since last firmware update i got elevated black level (it looked like reddish dark grey instead of true black). It was visible even during day. What helped in my situation was manually resetting ISF Bright mode to factory default and retweak it again. My black are inky again.
djgromo is offline  
post #27974 of 28037 Old 06-25-2019, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
morphinapg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,686
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2237 Post(s)
Liked: 1768
Quote:
Originally Posted by djgromo View Post
So i have C6. Since last firmware update i got elevated black level (it looked like reddish dark grey instead of true black). It was visible even during day. What helped in my situation was manually resetting ISF Bright mode to factory default and retweak it again. My black are inky again.
That's good to hear. It didn't happen to me, but perhaps for anybody else who had it happen it was simply the calibration that was modified with the new firmware? I know that can be a risk although I haven't run into that issue myself.

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HTCT780, Base PS4, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Philips BDP7502, AV.io 4K
Check out my video game movie edits
morphinapg is online now  
post #27975 of 28037 Old 06-25-2019, 03:53 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner842 View Post
Like Hifivision said you need to change the network settings on your tv like it stated in the guide.

You need to change the TVs Ip address and DNS server. Once this is done it should have 2 failed crosses on the last two icons of the network checklist.

Also steps 4 and 5 are needed to downgrade.

This can be a tricky thing to do, so if you are really struggling I wouldn't bother. I would advise to start over as well with LGTVupdater as you seemed to have edited a lot of stuff that doesn't need to be.

Replace these with your computers IP address, that extra stuff you added is not needed, not sure what other guide you were using but that Joey one is the one you want to use.

192.168.50.54 snu.lge.com
192.168.50.54 lgtvonline.lge.com
192.168.50.54 su.lge.com
I set up the LGDTVUpDater, and even got my TV to recognize 4.31.20 again, but it won't update because it realizes it's an old firmware.

I skipped 4 and 5 since it said it was optional-- should I dig back in, or is this just something that's not going to happen?

The computer and TV are sharing the same IP address for DNS server.
tendies is offline  
post #27976 of 28037 Old 06-25-2019, 06:30 PM
Member
 
NahsiK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Houston
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinHEMI05 View Post
Been a long time since I checked in on this thread since getting my 65" B6 Chad B calibrated TV and it's coming up on 3 years since I got it. There's nothing wrong with my TV, it's still superb, but 3 years is about when I start looking to see if it's time to upgrade.

Has anyone gone from the C6 to the latest LG offerings? Do you feel there was significant improvement over the B6?

Also, I see that there's still an enormous price increase to go to 77". I want a bigger one but am not willing to pay current 77" prices. Perhaps it may be better to wait until those prices come down before upgrading again.



ETA: Correction to calibrator. I got mixed up, it was Chad B.

I've been wondering the same thing.
My 2016 C6 is great! I love pushing it with my Oppo player and tossing in a 3D movie every now and then.
I was excited to advance purchase ALITA in 4k that also comes with a 3D disc. I wish more movies were sold this way.
I'm secretly hoping 3D makes a comeback.
The newer sets are way more advanced as far as processing, brightness, etc. but I still don't know if it's enough for me to buy a new tv. The new 8k tv's don't even have players/cables/receivers, etc that can utilize it. Maybe in 2021?
morphinapg and JustinHEMI05 like this.

TV: LG OLED65C6P
Receiver: ONKYO RZ 720 7.2 Channel 4K/HDR Receiver w/Dolby Atmos/DTS X
Consoles: Xbox One X (Scorpio Edition) and Sony PS4
UHD DVD Player: OPPO UDP-203
SVS Prime Bookshelf and SVS Prime 5.1 Satellites w/ 12" 300w sub
NahsiK is offline  
post #27977 of 28037 Old 06-26-2019, 09:32 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post
My C6 is on the most recent firmware, and I always watch in a blacked out room and my blacks have always been perfect. I've tested perfectly black slides in HDR10 and SDR and they are perfectly black.

The only thing that's not is DV (at any brightness), but ONLY on a perfectly black image. If there is literally anything on screen, then I get perfect blacks when brightness is at 49.

From everything I've seen, my experience is typical for just about every C6 out there.
When you say DV doesn't produce perfect blacks on a perfectly black image, are you referring to DV over HDMI, DV in native apps, or both?

Also, what settings are you using for HDR Game these days?

Last edited by cfitzpatrick711; 06-26-2019 at 10:22 AM.
cfitzpatrick711 is offline  
post #27978 of 28037 Old 06-26-2019, 03:03 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendies View Post
I set up the LGDTVUpDater, and even got my TV to recognize 4.31.20 again, but it won't update because it realizes it's an old firmware.

I skipped 4 and 5 since it said it was optional-- should I dig back in, or is this just something that's not going to happen?

The computer and TV are sharing the same IP address for DNS server.
I downgraded from 5.30.55.

I removed ldgtvupdater and the steps to do the downgrade from my pc, as I don’t plan to ever downgrade again so I’m not much help now, I did follow every step including 4 and 5 when I did it though.
gunner842 is offline  
post #27979 of 28037 Old 06-26-2019, 03:28 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner842 View Post
I downgraded from 5.30.55.

I removed ldgtvupdater and the steps to do the downgrade from my pc, as I don’t plan to ever downgrade again so I’m not much help now, I did follow every step including 4 and 5 when I did it though.
Good to know, last night I tried going in and doing steps 4 and 5, but my tv changed the file to 05.30.60 in the in.dump folder!

There also wasn't a place for image size or date of creation like the instructions say.

Very frustrating as I'm so close to the downgrade. I know some people aren't bothered by the black glow, but I really can't stand it, and I loved my B6 before this happened.

By the way: how long ago did you downgrade? It seems like it was easier to do in 2017?

Last edited by tendies; 06-26-2019 at 03:36 PM.
tendies is offline  
post #27980 of 28037 Old 06-26-2019, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
morphinapg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,686
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2237 Post(s)
Liked: 1768
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfitzpatrick711 View Post
When you say DV doesn't produce perfect blacks on a perfectly black image, are you referring to DV over HDMI, DV in native apps, or both?

Also, what settings are you using for HDR Game these days?
The pure black thing I've only noticed on HDMI. However, perfect black in everything else is only possible at 49 for both HDMI and streaming apps in DV for me.

These are my HDR Game settings:

OLED Light: 100
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 51
Sharpness: 0
Color: 42
Tint: R2
Color Temperature: W50
Color Gamut: Wide
Black Level: Low

All artificial enhancements off.

For Color/Gamut, 51/Normal or 46/Extended are also fine. All three were pretty close together, but 42/Wide gave a very slightly more accurate result over the others.

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HTCT780, Base PS4, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Philips BDP7502, AV.io 4K
Check out my video game movie edits
morphinapg is online now  
post #27981 of 28037 Old 06-27-2019, 02:21 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post
The pure black thing I've only noticed on HDMI. However, perfect black in everything else is only possible at 49 for both HDMI and streaming apps in DV for me.

These are my HDR Game settings
Thanks for posting your settings.

I just got my first DV capable player in the UB-820 and am noticing the same thing - perfect blacks at 49 for all content other than a black screen. Unfortunately, my player appears to clip highlights in DV - normal HDR with the HCX optimizer show more detail in the highlights. Hope for a firmware update to address this because otherwise it's a great player.
cfitzpatrick711 is offline  
post #27982 of 28037 Old 06-27-2019, 04:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
morphinapg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,686
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2237 Post(s)
Liked: 1768
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfitzpatrick711 View Post
Thanks for posting your settings.



I just got my first DV capable player in the UB-820 and am noticing the same thing - perfect blacks at 49 for all content other than a black screen. Unfortunately, my player appears to clip highlights in DV - normal HDR with the HCX optimizer show more detail in the highlights. Hope for a firmware update to address this because otherwise it's a great player.
If you lower OLED Light or contrast, you can reveal some more detail in the highlights, but at the cost of sacrificing overall brightness. Imo, while revealing more detail, it results in a less than optimal looking image. For the most part though, this isn't really necessary. The DV tonemapping tends to do a great job balancing preservation of details and the vividness of the original image.

I have no experience with the optimizer though.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HTCT780, Base PS4, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Philips BDP7502, AV.io 4K
Check out my video game movie edits
morphinapg is online now  
post #27983 of 28037 Old 06-27-2019, 08:25 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post
If you lower OLED Light or contrast, you can reveal some more detail in the highlights, but at the cost of sacrificing overall brightness. Imo, while revealing more detail, it results in a less than optimal looking image. For the most part though, this isn't really necessary. The DV tonemapping tends to do a great job balancing preservation of details and the vividness of the original image.

I have no experience with the optimizer though.
Apparently something is botched with the player's DV implementation. The Oppo 203, for example, doesn't clip highlights in DV like the UB-820 does. Vincent at HDTV Test did a video on this. He also did one on the optimizer and I've loved the results so for far.

Just wish DV worked as well (on the 820), because it looks stunning on the internal apps.
morphinapg likes this.
cfitzpatrick711 is offline  
post #27984 of 28037 Old 06-27-2019, 08:54 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendies View Post
Good to know, last night I tried going in and doing steps 4 and 5, but my tv changed the file to 05.30.60 in the in.dump folder!

There also wasn't a place for image size or date of creation like the instructions say.

Very frustrating as I'm so close to the downgrade. I know some people aren't bothered by the black glow, but I really can't stand it, and I loved my B6 before this happened.

By the way: how long ago did you downgrade? It seems like it was easier to do in 2017?
I downgraded about 6-7 weeks ago.

I believe I used note pad on windows to change the details in the files such as image size and date.
gunner842 is offline  
post #27985 of 28037 Old 06-27-2019, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
ll Viper ll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 825
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner842 View Post
I downgraded about 6-7 weeks ago.

I believe I used note pad on windows to change the details in the files such as image size and date.
As far as I knew, or anyone else on this forum knew, once you went past a certain firmware, you were not able to downgrade period. So yeah, if you were able to, please post a guide, as that would be a massively helpful PSA to anyone disappointed with their set.

Thank you!
ll Viper ll is offline  
post #27986 of 28037 Old 06-28-2019, 12:33 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ll Viper ll View Post
As far as I knew, or anyone else on this forum knew, once you went past a certain firmware, you were not able to downgrade period. So yeah, if you were able to, please post a guide, as that would be a massively helpful PSA to anyone disappointed with their set.

Thank you!
That was the case until someone found a workaround, I followed the below instructions, I downgraded from .55, so unsure if it works with .60 and later.

https://github.com/joey-astrologo/OL...ster/README.md

It's still very confusing and It took me a few attempts to get it working even by following the steps in the link, so its not something I will do again.
gunner842 is offline  
post #27987 of 28037 Old 06-29-2019, 10:51 AM
Member
 
HiFi4Vision's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ll Viper ll View Post
As far as I knew, or anyone else on this forum knew, once you went past a certain firmware, you were not able to downgrade period. So yeah, if you were able to, please post a guide, as that would be a massively helpful PSA to anyone disappointed with their set.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57729308

The rest can be found via the search function / Google.
HiFi4Vision is offline  
post #27988 of 28037 Old 07-01-2019, 11:10 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner842 View Post
I downgraded about 6-7 weeks ago.

I believe I used note pad on windows to change the details in the files such as image size and date.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ll Viper ll View Post
As far as I knew, or anyone else on this forum knew, once you went past a certain firmware, you were not able to downgrade period. So yeah, if you were able to, please post a guide, as that would be a massively helpful PSA to anyone disappointed with their set.

Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner842 View Post
That was the case until someone found a workaround, I followed the below instructions, I downgraded from .55, so unsure if it works with .60 and later.

https://github.com/joey-astrologo/OL...ster/README.md

It's still very confusing and It took me a few attempts to get it working even by following the steps in the link, so its not something I will do again.
That's the same guide I used, I went back to steps 4 and 5 and edited the files, to no avail. The TV recognized me and saw that I had 04.31.20, but every time I tried to install there was a popup window saying "Update failed because the software is an earlier version".

I'm looking through the guide again, but I can't see a step I missed, I think the blacks are just permanently raised, and I can't seem to go back.

Very disappointed, thinking about getting a sony oled to replace this.
tendies is offline  
post #27989 of 28037 Old 07-01-2019, 11:32 AM
Member
 
HiFi4Vision's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendies View Post
The TV recognized me and saw that I had 04.31.20, but every time I tried to install there was a popup window saying "Update failed because the software is an earlier version".
As I said before: upgrade to the 05.40.xx version of your region first, these beta versions don't have the downgrade check.

I've successfully downgraded my B6 from a 05.30.xx version to a 04.31.xx version multiple times. It's actually not that hard if you know what you're doing.
tendies likes this.
HiFi4Vision is offline  
post #27990 of 28037 Old 07-01-2019, 11:52 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi4Vision View Post
As I said before: upgrade to the 05.40.xx version of your region first, these beta versions don't have the downgrade check.

I've successfully downgraded my B6 from a 05.30.xx version to a 04.31.xx version multiple times. It's actually not that hard if you know what you're doing.

That would be fantastic, do you have a link to the beta firmware. I wouldn't even know where to begin looking for it.
tendies is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
arc , C6-B6 , calibration , computer , desktop , firmware update , lg c6 pc sdr hdr , lg oled , monitor , oled , oled b6 , oled lg , screen damage , screen uniformity , settings , soundbar , there is sig

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off