2016 LG C6-B6 owners thread - Page 935 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 264149Likes

post #28021 of 28113 Old 07-13-2019, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by g.costanza View Post
Turned on tv today. Noticed BAD posterization/banding on the tv from the YouTube and Netflix apps on my roku premiere. I switched to the tv’s built in apps and saw the same thing. Ugg! I had never reset the tv setting to factory settings before, but I figured I’d give it a shot. I took pics of all my settings and reset the tv. Once reset, I applied all my old settings. The firmware remained the same (50.3.60). Happy to say the posterization/banding went away! Whew!
I get that sometimes on my B6 (especially on static images like computer backgrounds). Physically disconnecting the power long enough for the red light to stop blinking, then reconnecting always seems to put the image back to normal for me (till the next time it happens). I've got a Z-wave appliance switch on the TV now to simplify the task of doing this without having to bend over and pull plugs.
Bleeding Edge likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28022 of 28113 Old 07-13-2019, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
Quote:
Turned on tv today. Noticed BAD posterization/banding on the tv from the YouTube and Netflix apps on my roku premiere. I switched to the tv’️s built in apps and saw the same thing. Ugg! I had never reset the tv setting to factory settings before, but I figured I’️d give it a shot. I took pics of all my settings and reset the tv. Once reset, I applied all my old settings. The firmware remained the same (50.3.60). Happy to say the posterization/banding went away! Whew!
I get that sometimes on my B6 (especially on static images like computer backgrounds). Physically disconnecting the power long enough for the red light to stop blinking, then reconnecting always seems to put the image back to normal for me (till the next time it happens). I've got a Z-wave appliance switch on the TV now to simplify the task of doing this without having to bend over and pull plugs.

Ah. Thanks. Didn’t realize that would work. Wonder what the issue is that causes it. Hadn’t seen it since I bought it like 2 or 3 yrs ago.
post #28023 of 28113 Old 07-13-2019, 07:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
For anyone that wants to resolve the issue without pulling plugs, you can force a "hard" reboot on a B6 by simply toggling the Ultra HDMI Deep Color setting on any input. I recommend just picking one you don't normally use and treating it as a reboot toggle. When you change the setting, it'll prompt you to reboot, and if you accept, you'll hear the *click* sound along with the red power light confirming the hard reboot, and the issue will be rectified upon completion of the reboot.
I WANT MORE and Bleeding Edge like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28024 of 28113 Old 07-14-2019, 01:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I need some advice guys. Bought my LG B6 TV from Amazon for £1350 in June 2017. Last Sunday, a line down the middle of the screen appeared - it's a vertical band extending a few inches out to the right. Devastated to say the least. I contacted LG and they said it will cost me £400 to repair. I contacted Amazon who just passed me back to LG as Amazon doesn't really have any kind of warranty. The sad thing is, I opted to buy the TV from Amazon as it was £150 cheaper than Currys or John Lewis. If I'd have just bought it from one of them, I'd have got a five year warranty.

I don't think I can justify paying £400 when I could get the B8 for less than a £1000.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-07-08 21.53.08.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	243.4 KB
ID:	2590560  
post #28025 of 28113 Old 07-14-2019, 02:17 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Quote:
Ah. Thanks. Didn’t realize that would work. Wonder what the issue is that causes it. Hadn’t seen it since I bought it like 2 or 3 yrs ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alamei View Post
For anyone that wants to resolve the issue without pulling plugs, you can force a "hard" reboot on a B6 by simply toggling the Ultra HDMI Deep Color setting on any input. I recommend just picking one you don't normally use and treating it as a reboot toggle. When you change the setting, it'll prompt you to reboot, and if you accept, you'll hear the *click* sound along with the red power light confirming the hard reboot, and the issue will be rectified upon completion of the reboot.
I get posterization sometimes when I turn my B6 on as well or when the TV switches from a different picture mode like HDR back to SDR.

If its the same issue your experiencing, you don't need to do a reboot.

I can fix the issue by simply switching to another hdmi input and then back, I normally switch to a hdmi input that is not being used and then switch back.
post #28026 of 28113 Old 07-14-2019, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner842 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Ah. Thanks. Didn’️t realize that would work. Wonder what the issue is that causes it. Hadn’️t seen it since I bought it like 2 or 3 yrs ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alamei View Post
I get posterization sometimes when I turn my B6 on as well or when the TV switches from a different picture mode like HDR back to SDR.

If its the same issue your experiencing, you don't need to do a reboot.

I can fix the issue by simply switching to another hdmi input and then back, I normally switch to a hdmi input that is not being used and then switch back.
Interesting. Anyone know the cause of this weird behavior? This is the first issue I’ve had with the tv but it really doesn’t get used much.
After I went thru the whole reset/setup of the tv I couldn’t get audio from my roku thru the hdmi input it had been connected to for the last year. I had to switch hdmi inputs to get audio. Weird. Must be buggy software.
post #28027 of 28113 Old 07-14-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Interesting. Anyone know the cause of this weird behavior? This is the first issue I’ve had with the tv but it really doesn’t get used much.
After I went thru the whole reset/setup of the tv I couldn’t get audio from my roku thru the hdmi input it had been connected to for the last year. I had to switch hdmi inputs to get audio. Weird. Must be buggy software.
Presuming its the same issue I occasionally get, I believe its just an issue that can occur every now and then, buggy software. Others on another forum I visit have reported same behaviour, I get it maybe once or twice every 3-4 weeks based on my viewing time.
post #28028 of 28113 Old 07-14-2019, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
I'm fairly certain its buggy software. I'm on my 3rd LG TV with the 2 others being LED sets and I've had it happen with those as well so its not exclusively an OLED bug. By the way those older LED sets are still up and running with zero issues except for the one being discussed here happening on a rare blue moon occasion.
post #28029 of 28113 Old 07-14-2019, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitypwny View Post
I downgraded my B6 from 05.30.60 back to 04.31.20 last night.

This restored perfect blacks when the screen goes completely black but the overall image quality was pretty lackluster compared to the latest firmware.

Greys and near blacks had significantly less detail and looked blotchy. I also noticed highlights being blown out as well as banding/posterization in HDR standard/game modes.

HDR game mode brightness was about the same but 05.30.60 definitely has improved tone mapping.

I also noticed a yellow/green tint in the highlights (in all picture modes, even the no input wallpapers) when using 04.31.20 that isn't present on 05.30.60.

So from an overall image quality perspective, 05.30.60 takes the cake for me. I ended up upgrading back to 05.30.60 after experimenting with 04.31.20.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I’m on 4.31.20 on my B6 and don’t have any of those issues. My tv is calibrated so I don’t know if that makes a difference, but I’ll never give up the perfect blacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #28030 of 28113 Old 07-16-2019, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I have had this same issue a few times. What helps for me is changing gamma to another setting and changing it back, it seems to reset the posterization problem.
post #28031 of 28113 Old 07-16-2019, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Upscaling

I have a 55C6P and and OPPO 203. Which should I have doing the upscaling. The OPPO or the C6. Thanks.
post #28032 of 28113 Old 07-16-2019, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 936 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick h101 View Post
I have a 55C6P and and OPPO 203. Which should I have doing the upscaling. The OPPO or the C6. Thanks.

This is something I would like to know too. If the Oppo is better, which settings are best for the B6?

Klipsch Reference Premiere: 4 x RP-280's, 1 x RP 450C and dual R-115W's
Marantz 7011 AVR
LG OLED B6
Apple TV 4K
PlayStation Pro
post #28033 of 28113 Old 07-16-2019, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Guys I havent been able to figure out if i can get Dolby Vision on my B6 from sources different to the UHD discs.

I mean, if i get a Sony UBPX700 or an LG UBK90, should i be able to stream Netflix DV content to the TV?

I read there are some issues getting dolby vision from Xbox One or Amazon Fire Stick 4k because somehow the B6 implemented DV in a different way so it wasn able to get it from certain external sources so i wanted to make sure i should be able to stream DV, before buying the UHD player.

Anyone can confirm i should be able to do this with any of the players i mentioned?

LG B6, LG SJ8, H7, H4s & GTX 1060

Last edited by posadajulian; 07-16-2019 at 09:33 PM.
post #28034 of 28113 Old 07-17-2019, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMWhizzle View Post
This is something I would like to know too. If the Oppo is better, which settings are best for the B6?
Having owned the 203 and a B6 for about 2 years now and trying different settings, I have settled on Auto settings, which is the default, I'm not quite sure which does the upscaling with auto settings though.

In video settings something like this:

Custom
UHD Auto
Auto
Auto
post #28035 of 28113 Old 07-17-2019, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 936 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner842 View Post
Having owned the 203 and a B6 for about 2 years now and trying different settings, I have settled on Auto settings, which is the default, I'm not quite sure which does the upscaling with auto settings though.

In video settings something like this:

Custom

UHD Auto

Auto

Auto

Tried it, but the colors look rather dull on auto (which means 4:4:4), compared to 4:4:2. With your settings the player is doing the upscaling.

Klipsch Reference Premiere: 4 x RP-280's, 1 x RP 450C and dual R-115W's
Marantz 7011 AVR
LG OLED B6
Apple TV 4K
PlayStation Pro
post #28036 of 28113 Old 07-18-2019, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMWhizzle View Post
Tried it, but the colors look rather dull on auto (which means 4:4:4), compared to 4:4:2. With your settings the player is doing the upscaling.
Yep thats correct, if you switch to source direct your B6 will do the upscaling, I've noticed no difference between the upscaling duties, apart from when watch a DVD which is rare, with source direct DVD looks awful, I have found the Oppo does a better job at upscaling in this instance.

As for the other settings I haven't seen any difference in colours, so Auto is ok for me, which is 4:4:4 @ 12bit.

You might be better off posting in the Oppo203 thread on here.

*Just had a browse of the thread and it seems for LG Oleds 4:2:2 seems the recommended, but I don't think it should make a difference, apart from the fact 4:2:2 will carry less bandwidth over your hdmi cables, 4:4:4 I guess could cause issues if your hdmi cables are not up to spec.

I might try 4:2:2 now, lol.

Last edited by gunner842; 07-18-2019 at 02:58 AM.
post #28037 of 28113 Old 07-18-2019, 03:01 AM

Can anyone tell me if HDR game mode is brighter in the latest 5.30.65 firmware, I'm on 4.31.25 (UK).

I never tested it properly when I was briefly on an earlier 5* firmware before I downgraded again, I know that its at the cost of possible elevated blacks, but Im just curious if HDR game is brighter?
post #28038 of 28113 Old 07-22-2019, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 21
OLED picture brightness

I noticed when I use the menu on my 65 C6P OLED, the picture gets brighter and looks real nice. Once I exit, goes darker again. Anyone know why? I already have Energy Saving off.

When menu is on, pic is brighter and it looks amazing but not washed out like when increase brightness only. How can I keep it bright like such?

I’ve played with settings again but can’t get that same quality.

Thank you!

Last edited by tigerljj1; 07-22-2019 at 06:34 PM.
post #28039 of 28113 Old 07-24-2019, 03:08 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerljj1 View Post
I noticed when I use the menu on my 65 C6P OLED, the picture gets brighter and looks real nice. Once I exit, goes darker again. Anyone know why? I already have Energy Saving off.

When menu is on, pic is brighter and it looks amazing but not washed out like when increase brightness only. How can I keep it bright like such?

Thank you!
This sounds like the ABL(Automatic Brightness Limiter) is kicking in, and sadly this is nothing you can do about as it's a "non-user" setting.
On my Sony AF8 there is a setting for Peak luminance(high, medium, low of off) which does impact the light output greatly thus it doesn't affect the ABL, but as you allow for higher peak brightness of the overall picture it at least widens the range the ABL works within.
I don't know if LG has something similar in their brightness settings?

With that said thou, I recall seeing a review from "HDTVTest"(pretty sure it was a LG C8 comparision) where they did a test with ABL disabled which could be turned off/on through the Service Menu.
However I'm positive that you would void your warranty, if any, by turning this off and last but not least, ABL is there for a reason.
AFAIK it's controlling maximum power consumption as well a protecting your panel(subpixels) from producing to much light hence avoiding premature degradation and possibly other unwanted picture problems like permanent burn-in.

So I would strongly advice not to fiddle with this even if you find a way to do it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TV: Sony Bravia KD-65AF8
Projector: Panasonic PT-AX100E
AVR: Harman/Kardon AVR-230
Speakers: KEF KHT 2005 (The Egg)
post #28040 of 28113 Old 07-24-2019, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerljj1 View Post

Thank you!
It happens to me too. Probably it will go way when OLED don't burn in anymore.
post #28041 of 28113 Old 07-26-2019, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Does anybody have tips on Dolby Vision settings with the B6 ? When Chad B was here back in 2016 it wasn't possible for him to calibrate or change any settings in that mode.

LG B6 (Chad B. calibrated)
Yamaha 681 AVR
Polk Audio 3.1.2 Atmos
Panasonic UB820
Custom HTPC/Emby WMC/MPC-BE/MadVR
post #28042 of 28113 Old 07-26-2019, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by annisman View Post
Does anybody have tips on Dolby Vision settings with the B6 ? When Chad B was here back in 2016 it wasn't possible for him to calibrate or change any settings in that mode.
Honestly the stock settings are the best since you can't calibrate it but i would turn off edge enhancer etc. My E6 was calibrated for sdr/hdr but no Dv either. I use it for 3d movies now and my C8 for hdr/Dv since it is calibrated for both.
post #28043 of 28113 Old 07-26-2019, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by evoll88 View Post
Quote:
Honestly the stock settings are the best since you can't calibrate it but i would turn off edge enhancer etc. My E6 was calibrated for sdr/hdr but no Dv either. I use it for 3d movies now and my C8 for hdr/Dv since it is calibrated for both.
What about tru motion ? Chad set mine the same in HDR and SDR at '2' and '9' respectively, can't remember what the two settings are called though. Copy it over to DV ?

LG B6 (Chad B. calibrated)
Yamaha 681 AVR
Polk Audio 3.1.2 Atmos
Panasonic UB820
Custom HTPC/Emby WMC/MPC-BE/MadVR
post #28044 of 28113 Old 07-26-2019, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2289 Post(s)
Liked: 1844
Has anybody else noticed that sometimes when an HDMI device switches resolutions, the TV freaks out and starts displaying static on screen on and off, until you switch inputs?

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HTCT780, Base PS4, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Sony UBP-X700, Atomos Ninja Inferno
Check out my video game movie edits
post #28045 of 28113 Old 07-26-2019, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post
Has anybody else noticed that sometimes when an HDMI device switches resolutions, the TV freaks out and starts displaying static on screen on and off, until you switch inputs?
Are you sure it's not the AVR? I get that sometimes on my Denon, but perhaps only on the Chromecast input (which isn't the AVR's fault then).

LG OLED55C6P calibrated
Denon X4400H 5.2.4
Denovo HTM-10
HSU Research surrounds
2x18" Dayton Ultimax sealed < Pro-LITE 7.5 amp < MiniDSP 2x4 HD
post #28046 of 28113 Old 07-26-2019, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2289 Post(s)
Liked: 1844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fackamato View Post
Are you sure it's not the AVR? I get that sometimes on my Denon, but perhaps only on the Chromecast input (which isn't the AVR's fault then).
Oh interesting, yeah it could be.

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HTCT780, Base PS4, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Sony UBP-X700, Atomos Ninja Inferno
Check out my video game movie edits
post #28047 of 28113 Old 07-29-2019, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by evoll88 View Post
I think I read somewhere that you can calibrate DV through the service menu, but that's a bit risky since it would be rather easy to misstep and mess something up. Anyone know if this is a legit method to calibrate DV? The way I understand, you're basically calibrating the whole set this way with the base SM settings.

OLED55E6P (609 build)
Denon X2400H
KEF Q100 L/R/C, SVS SB12-NSD
XB1S, Roku Ultra
post #28048 of 28113 Old 07-29-2019, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
B6 Issue with 4k and Xbox One S

After many years of owning my 65 B6 i purchased my 1st UHD Blueray and cannot get my Xbox to connect at 4k. It keeps reporting that the TV does not support 4k. It'a definitely the B6 since i connected the Xbox directly the the TV using HDMI 2 and bypassed my receiver. I took the same cable and connected it to my E7 i have in another room and it shows full 4k support immediately.

I saw some threads where you needed to disable deep color, reboot and then re-enable and reboot again... did not fix anything. Xbox is patched with the latest updates but is not the issue.

Any suggestions? I apologize if this has been asked and answered before... my forum search only showed the toggling of deep color.

Thank you, -Shane
post #28049 of 28113 Old 07-29-2019, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by edelman View Post
B6 Issue with 4k and Xbox One S

After many years of owning my 65 B6 i purchased my 1st UHD Blueray and cannot get my Xbox to connect at 4k. It keeps reporting that the TV does not support 4k. It'a definitely the B6 since i connected the Xbox directly the the TV using HDMI 2 and bypassed my receiver. I took the same cable and connected it to my E7 i have in another room and it shows full 4k support immediately.

I saw some threads where you needed to disable deep color, reboot and then re-enable and reboot again... did not fix anything. Xbox is patched with the latest updates but is not the issue.

Any suggestions? I apologize if this has been asked and answered before... my forum search only showed the toggling of deep color.

Thank you, -Shane
I would unplug the B6 for about minute. Plug back in. And or do a hard reset on the xbox. You can Google the steps. Something like hold power button for 10 seconds until it beeps or restarts.
post #28050 of 28113 Old 07-29-2019, 11:26 PM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Does anybody have tips on Dolby Vision settings with the B6?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mttpalmer View Post
I think I read somewhere that you can calibrate DV through the service menu, but that's a bit risky since it would be rather easy to misstep and mess something up. Anyone know if this is a legit method to calibrate DV? The way I understand, you're basically calibrating the whole set this way with the base SM settings.

It is possible to calibrate the white balance of DV in the Service Menu. To get into the SM you need either a service remote, Logitech Harmony, smartphone with IR blaster or nerd solution (=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qtQLrjpO4c&t=1s). Press EZ-ADJUST option and enter 0413 for the password. Choose 12. White Balance to get into 2-pt white balance menu and choose a different color temp than what you are using with SDR ( in my case COOL) and choose that color temp for DV in User Menu White Balance too. To get to normal mode press EZ-ADJUST again. The 20 Point WB does not affect DV.

For calibration you need a DV patterns, a meter and a metering software. When calibrating you meter the WB in normal DV mode and then go into SM to adjust the values and meter again until you are satisfied with the result. In my case with stock settings there were too much green. The end result is not perfect but much better than stock.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B6_DV_SM.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	2596218   Click image for larger version

Name:	B6_DV_WB.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	2596220  
mttpalmer likes this.

LG OLED 55B6V, Finnsat FST03PVR, Toshiba 1T HDD, Genelec 6010B, BK XLS200-DF MK2
JVC DLA-X35BE, PS3, Apple TV3, Yamaha RX-V383, Tannoy Mercury F2, Tannoy Mercury F1, BK Monolith

Last edited by northrob; 07-29-2019 at 11:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
arc , C6-B6 , calibration , computer , desktop , firmware update , lg c6 pc sdr hdr , lg oled , monitor , oled , oled b6 , oled lg , screen damage , screen uniformity , settings , soundbar , there is sig

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page