AVS Forum banner
3M views 30K replies 2K participants last post by  d3193 
#1 · (Edited)
I plan on getting a 65C6P and since we already have owners of the 55C6P I figured an owners thread is due.

Especially curios about panel uniformity, near black issues, content playback for UHD HDR Bluray, 3D, etc.

#18,962 ·
Wtf, I came back after few weeks, and you guys are still fighting about HDR? Ok haha
I don't even want to argue with this guy.. I am back to enjoying amazing HDR on my Oled
I will never go back LCD!
Nobody's fighting :)

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

Reactions: Superman23
#18,964 ·
Also, while obviously everybody would prefer perfect blacks and 10,000 nits with no ABL, the industry typically currently grades HDR on 1000 or 4000 nit LED monitors, not OLEDs.
Except you forgot about the Sony BVM X300 OLED mastering monitor.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
There 3 monitor where current HDR10 movies are being mastered:

Sony BVM-X300 30inch 2160p OLED (1000/1.100nits)
Dolby Pulsar Monitor 42inch 1080p (Direct LED) (4.000nits)
SIM2 HDR47ES4MB 47inch 1080p LED (4.000nits)

Problems in film grain or encoding may be invisible at these sizes or with only 1080p resolution since if you see the same movie using 65 / 77 inch, it will have issues probably don't appear during mastering/encoding.

From the infoframe metadata I have from 125 UHD Movies:

57 titles mastered @ 4.000nits
56 titles mastered @ 1.000nits
9 titles mastered @ 1.100nits
2 have 0's at all infoframe (Life Of Pi / Planet Earth II)
1 title don't have any metadata (The Fourth Phase, it's REC709 SDR 2160p24)

#18,965 ·
Exactly, that's all I've been saying this whole time :)
Which is completely fine when you phrase your responses in some capacity to say "this is what I prefer" or "this is my opinion" like you did the last response while acknowledging there is more to it then such.

But during portions of our discussions it came off at times like you were implying what you prefer is also fact/concrete. And my only issue with that (not just singling you out as it happens a lot during discussions on any forum) is people who only ever skim read and never respond in threads can take preference as meaning reference/absolute fact and have a distorted idea of a topic going forward in the audio/video world.

I'm not attacking you at all. You do have a great grasp of subject matter and for the most part the discussions are enlightening back and forth. But any frustration of mine is merely born from trying to provide known knowledge that HDR does bring with it more then just a higher dynamic range over 100 nits, including better near black detail and color, so those who may be reading can understand this fact and not got caught in the trap of thinking it's *only* about higher nits.

Again, you understand this. But I always try to make a point of separating what I prefer with what is fact as clearly and often as possible for the sake of others reading. Which you did with your earlier post but at times before that it wasn't as clearly stated. That's the only reason for my frustration. So my apologies.

[emoji106]

#18,968 ·
You guys can all say what you want, at least @morphinapg explains why he thinks something and doesn't resort to the name-calling and other immature comments that some others do. I don't always agree with what he says, but there is no reason to be so disrespectful and start calling him a "fool".

He has both an LCD set and an OLED set - and see pros and cons of both (which I *do* tend to agree with). I also have LCD and OLED and IMO, there *are* things that my LCD sets are better at. OLED is great, but it's still a relatively young technology and there is still room for improvement.

Sent from my Hi10 pro using Tapatalk

I agree.

The only problem posts have been the "hurr durr" troll insult posts from @TetraVaal imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#18,969 ·
I helped my brother setup the B6 with his Pioneer and HDMI ARC was unreliable when switching between inputs.
Since the B6 only supports DD (not DD+) we conneted the Optical output and there are no problems.

- Rich
Thanks for feedback. I switched to optical audio out and all the ARC problems were resolved. And I think it sounds better.

#18,971 ·
You guys can all say what you want, at least @morphinapg explains why he thinks something and doesn't resort to the name-calling and other immature comments that some others do. I don't always agree with what he says, but there is no reason to be so disrespectful and start calling him a "fool".

He has both an LCD set and an OLED set - and see pros and cons of both (which I *do* tend to agree with). I also have LCD and OLED and IMO, there *are* things that my LCD sets are better at. OLED is great, but it's still a relatively young technology and there is still room for improvement.

Sent from my Hi10 pro using Tapatalk
I agree here. @morphinapg has been a pretty good sport with not firing back rudely to other people insulting him. I may not enjoy the whole HDR / NIT discussion but I'm actually starting to learn it which is kinda cool. @BigCoolJesus and @morphinapg really know their HDR stuff! LOL!

Reactions: morphinapg
#18,972 ·
Anyone here using an OTA Antenna for local channels? I switched to Sling at the beginning of the year and love it but was thinking of getting an antenna for NFL games on Fox, CBS, and ABC.

Yes I use a Mohu Leaf (available on Amazon) indoor antenna for OTA. Works great on my C6P (disclaimer: I live literally right next door to the local HD transmitters so YMMV depending on your location). WebOS has an excellent local OTA program guide baked in.

Truth be told I rarely use OTA since I also am a DIRECTV subscriber. I only use OTA as a backup in case I experience rain fade with DirecTV. Despite what the cableco propagandists like Charter say in their ads rain fade only occurs about 0.1% of the time in my experience.:rolleyes:

#18,973 ·
Yes I use a Mohu Leaf (available on Amazon) indoor antenna for OTA. Works great on my C6P (disclaimer: I live literally right next door to the local HD transmitters so YMMV depending on your location). WebOS has an excellent local OTA program guide baked in.

Truth be told I rarely use OTA since I also am a DIRECTV subscriber. I only use OTA as a backup in case I experience rain fade with DirecTV. Despite what the cableco propagandists like Charter say in their ads rain fade only occurs about 0.1% of the time in my experience.:rolleyes:
I looked around and the Mohu ReLeaf seems to have great reviews.

My only question is can I setup the LG so that when I use OTA it will send audio to my receiver via HDMI ARC or should I just run a separate optical audio cable?

#18,974 ·
So at best streaming quality is close to dvd...but far from blu-ray bitrate. Might just sign in to local blu-ray rental service, 17euros a month you can rent blu-rays/dvds as much as you like. Just i would have to drive to the store :p.
DVD video encoded using MPEG2 while blu-ray is encoded using H264. H264 is a much more efficient codec than MPEG2. I believe all the major streamers use H264. For most people streaming is "good enough".

Here is link to a web page listing the minimum internet speed requirements for the major streamers in the US: https://www.lifewire.com/internet-speed-requirements-for-movie-viewing-1847401

#18,975 ·
In defense of the ongoing debates (NITs-HDR-SDR-OLED vs LCD etc) - I would find this forum rather dull if the only comments posted were words of praise about how great it is. i.e., "I love my OLED"... "Best TV in the World"... "Since getting my OLED its been all blue sky and roses"... "I just got my OLED, my life is complete, I can die a happy man"... etc., and/or... the never ending repeated question on suggested settings (yawn)

To encapsulate these particular discussions in the simplest of terms - DEBATE (variable noun) - discussion, talk, dispute, consideration, reflection, meditation, deliberation, discuss, question, think about, talk about, argue about, consider, reflect upon, or weigh in!

Simple Rule of Thumb: If a topic of discussion is of no interest to you... don't read it, simply skim over the parts you don't like.

Further adding to the temperament of some member responses is "implied inflection". The primary problem readers face when reading written statements, albeit forums, emails and/or text messages is: You can read the message... but its "your" responsibility as the reader to determine the authors implied inflection. A rather humorous example of assuming the wrong inflection can be found in this comedy skit. Fair Warning: This skit includes adult themed off color / foul language. Do not watch if you are easily offended.

#18,976 ·
I looked around and the Mohu ReLeaf seems to have great reviews.

My only question is can I setup the LG so that when I use OTA it will send audio to my receiver via HDMI ARC or should I just run a separate optical audio cable?

If your receiver supports ARC then you can go that way. If the receiver does not support ARC then you have to go optical. It's one or the other, not both.

if you have not already, go to https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps or https://www.antennasdirect.com/transmitter-locator.html and find out where you are located relative to your transmission towers. This will guide you the type of antenna you will need.

#18,977 ·
Truth be told I rarely use OTA since I also am a DIRECTV subscriber. I only use OTA as a backup in case I experience rain fade with DirecTV.
That happened here on game 4 of the finals...lol. Missed like 15 mins of the game due to rain/Directv......

#18,978 ·
In defense of the ongoing debates (NITs-HDR-SDR-OLED vs LCD etc) - I would find this forum rather dull if the only comments posted were words of praise about how great it is. i.e., "I love my OLED"... "Best TV in the World"... "Since getting my OLED its been all blue sky and roses"... "I just got my OLED, my life is complete, I can die a happy man"... etc., and/or... the never ending repeated question on suggested settings (yawn)

To encapsulate these particular discussions in the simplest of terms - DEBATE (variable noun) - discussion, talk, dispute, consideration, reflection, meditation, deliberation, discuss, question, think about, talk about, argue about, consider, reflect upon, or weigh in!

Simple Rule of Thumb: If a topic of discussion is of no interest to you... don't read it, simply skim over the parts you don't like.

Further adding to the temperament of some member responses is "implied inflection". The primary problem readers face when reading written statements, albeit forums, emails and/or text messages is: You can read the message... but its "your" responsibility as the reader to determine the authors implied inflection. A rather humorous example of assuming the wrong inflection can be found in this comedy skit. Fair Warning: This skit includes adult themed off color / foul language. Do not watch if you are easily offended. Warning - Uncensored Content

or you can just unsubscribe which I just did

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#18,979 ·
My priority is the same as the professionals,calibrators and colorists. brightness isn't everything.

The brighter the trasmissive display the more is affected by blooming ,halos and inferior contrast,the more the image gets washout with loss of depth.

before jumping to Oled I owned a Sony 930,JS9500 ,JS8000,Sony 850,Vizio P.

My Oled beat those in overall image quality.

I loss some small details on specular highlights like bulbs ect ect ,those details are fix with tone mapping,by the way who likes to look at bulbs or bright specular highlights all day?

This isn't about full screen brightness but specular highlights.
If it wasn't for the terrible off-angle viewing of LCD's, and the issues with screen uniformity I had with the Vizio P, the implementation of FALD was pretty darn good and the overall PQ viewing head on (and where scenes weren't panning showing the terrible DSE my set had), it was a pretty darn good set. Very little blooming, excellent blacks, decent brightness, albeit not as bright as the new Sony's/Samsung's.

Though I agree the OLED has better PQ, likely not worth what was almost twice the price though if money was a big concern.

I have nothing else to add. lol :p

#18,980 ·
A weekend away brings the same argument of preferences back over and over again...

I'm okay with information and quality debates, but this is the same debate with the same people over and over (and over) again in a thread that is CLEARLY bias towards a specific technology. I'm guilty of that bias because my viewing habits and my general PREFERENCE makes the OLED technology better FOR ME.

Morphinapg clearly likes higher nits for reasons he's stated. He's given validating reasons, which I don't always agree with, but it is his right to have his preference. That said, what I don't agree with is him pushing his preference as fact and restating it numerous times over and over again. Him having both an LCD and an OLED gives him an objective point of view, but his point of view still isn't unbiased. It's okay to be biased, though. We all are.

Arguing with him is clearly like arguing with a brick wall. Conversely arguing OLED owners in an OLED OWNER'S thread is going to be just the same. We all need to stop with the name-calling and harshness (myself included).

It's darn nice having OPTIONS. That's why there are two UHD Premium Certifications, one that caters more to the limitations of LCDs and one that caters more to the limitations of OLED. Allowing certification and a premium EXPERIENCE for both types of technologies.