2016 LG C6-B6 owners thread - Page 955 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 264378Likes

post #28621 of 28698 Old 05-14-2020, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by edo101 View Post
Lemme send you what they said:

Unless you are using ycbcr 4:4:4 the colours will leak into adjacent pixels due to the colour compression.
ie 4:2:2 uses approx half the bandwidth of 4:4:4
This is most noticeable on a computer desktop, you wont notice it in Blu Ray movies because they are 4:2:0.

Also ycbcr uses the limited 8 bit range for the desktop, the same as RGB limited.
Instead of 0 to 255 colours it uses 16 to 235 to represent the whole SDR range, approx 6.5 bits per colour equivalence.
This is why I use RGB full for my desktop.

10 bits per colour (ie HDR10) gives you 1024 gradients of each colour when using full RGB.
But ycbcr uses limited RGB giving approx 650 gradients per colour.
8 bits per colour with full RGB gives you 256 gradients per colour.

If you reduce the number of bits per colour enough, the difference between the next gradient can be seen.
For example the sky is displayed ranging from light to dark blue.
Without enough shades of blue you will see the colours change as bands across the sky.
You can test this by changing from 32bit colour to 16bit or 8bit.

256 shades per colour is very good for SDR but when used for HDR you may see banding.
I saw it for a moment in a war film (cant remember which) but thats so infrequent I dont care.

If you cant see banding with HDR 10 bit, HDR 12 bit wont give any benefit.
It will not be needed until we get HDR displays with extreme brightness and there is 12bit HDR media.

Also consider the media you are using.
HDR10 video is 10 bits per colour.
Setting HDR to use 12bits per colour wont make any difference.

Thanks, you prompted me to do a lot more reading on the subject, and YCbCr does indeed have the limitation you noted with regard to 16-255 causing a loss of color clarity and dynamic range.
My PC display is not HDR but I have friends whom I have suggested to use YCbCr instead of RGB Full.

I shall change my recommendation as follows: RGB Full, 10-bit, 4:2:2 (that is the highest the HDMI can do on the C6) and still maintain 60 FPS. This recommendation is for HDR content mind you, if you use your PC for that.
For general PC use 8-Bit, RGB Full, 4:4:4 will look more natural but you still have the issue of Windows and many applications not being able to use the full color space and looking washed out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28622 of 28698 Old 05-14-2020, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by raistline View Post
Thanks, you prompted me to do a lot more reading on the subject, and YCbCr does indeed have the limitation you noted with regard to 16-255 causing a loss of color clarity and dynamic range.
My PC display is not HDR but I have friends whom I have suggested to use YCbCr instead of RGB Full.

I shall change my recommendation as follows: RGB Full, 10-bit, 4:2:2 (that is the highest the HDMI can do on the C6) and still maintain 60 FPS. This recommendation is for HDR content mind you, if you use your PC for that.
For general PC use 8-Bit, RGB Full, 4:4:4 will look more natural but you still have the issue of Windows and many applications not being able to use the full color space and looking washed out.
Where can i go to set RGB 4:2:2, last I checked you only get the 4:x:x options when you are in YCbr
post #28623 of 28698 Old 05-14-2020, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Where can i go to set RGB 4:2:2, last I checked you only get the 4:x:x options when you are in YCbr
There is no RGB 4:4:4, I am starting to confuse myself. The X:X:X model only applies to YCbCr as they deal with the chroma subsampling that is not in the RGB color scale.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28624 of 28698 Old 05-14-2020, 04:01 PM

Quote:
There is no RGB 4:4:4, I am starting to confuse myself. The X:X:X model only applies to YCbCr as they deal with the chroma subsampling that is not in the RGB color scale.
So, YCbr 4:2:2 10 bit for HDR? Last time I did something like that, I think I was limited to "limited' not full and the colors looked off. Blueshred tint
post #28625 of 28698 Old 05-18-2020, 10:12 AM
pbc
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Hey guys, need some help setting up my AVM60 with the LG and a Harmony Elite remote. Right now I have my LG fed into my AVM60 via HDMI 2 into the main display output of the AVM60. Which now that I type that out...I think might be one of the issues.

What I'd like to do is set up my harmony so that I can run two activities from it, Watch Netflix and Watch Amazon Prime. But I have a few issues/comments/questions:

1. Is there no single button that can be pressed to access Netflix and Prime vs having to hit menu, then select Netflix or Prime by moving left or right and then hitting enter sort of thing?

2. I am getting no audio return. Though, now I'm wondering, should I have the main display out of my AVM60 hooked up to say HDMI 1, and then use HDMI 2 as a "source", and switch to that source to get the audio and video from the ARC input of the LG?

I'm 99% sure the second one is correct, but not sure if there is as solution for the first?

I was using a MiBox 4S for the smart functions, but for some reason Amazon Prime is absolute crap on that box, very dim and blotchy whereas using the LG's internal app it looks amazing.

Thx!

My DIY Subs ... https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #28626 of 28698 Old 05-22-2020, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So, YCbr 4:2:2 10 bit for HDR? Last time I did something like that, I think I was limited to "limited' not full and the colors looked off. Blueshred tint
Apologies for the late response,

32-bit, 10Bits per color, RGB, Full will give you the best look. Then enable all the HCG/WCG/HDR settings I mentioned before within windows.

When I originally suggested YCbCr I had incorrect information on the total color quality loss of YCbCR in the 0-16 scope. You prompted me to do more research and helped me find that RGB Full has better capability to have better quality.
post #28627 of 28698 Old 05-22-2020, 05:48 AM
pbc
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc View Post
Hey guys, need some help setting up my AVM60 with the LG and a Harmony Elite remote. Right now I have my LG fed into my AVM60 via HDMI 2 into the main display output of the AVM60. Which now that I type that out...I think might be one of the issues.

What I'd like to do is set up my harmony so that I can run two activities from it, Watch Netflix and Watch Amazon Prime. But I have a few issues/comments/questions:

1. Is there no single button that can be pressed to access Netflix and Prime vs having to hit menu, then select Netflix or Prime by moving left or right and then hitting enter sort of thing?

2. I am getting no audio return. Though, now I'm wondering, should I have the main display out of my AVM60 hooked up to say HDMI 1, and then use HDMI 2 as a "source", and switch to that source to get the audio and video from the ARC input of the LG?

I'm 99% sure the second one is correct, but not sure if there is as solution for the first?

I was using a MiBox 4S for the smart functions, but for some reason Amazon Prime is absolute crap on that box, very dim and blotchy whereas using the LG's internal app it looks amazing.

Thx!
I think I figured out 2, but anyone know if there is a single button that can be coded to do 1 above? I can't seem to find the answer via google, looks like the newer models have that on the remote. If that works, I can maybe learn the function into the Harmony.

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #28628 of 28698 Old 05-22-2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Apologies for the late response,

32-bit, 10Bits per color, RGB, Full will give you the best look. Then enable all the HCG/WCG/HDR settings I mentioned before within windows.

When I originally suggested YCbCr I had incorrect information on the total color quality loss of YCbCR in the 0-16 scope. You prompted me to do more research and helped me find that RGB Full has better capability to have better quality.
Well unfortunately, I can only get RGB 8 BPC with HDMI 2.0. 10 bpc is only for anything above HDMI 2.0 like DIsplay Port which my cheap AOC monitor can do over DP
post #28629 of 28698 Old 05-22-2020, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well unfortunately, I can only get RGB 8 BPC with HDMI 2.0. 10 bpc is only for anything above HDMI 2.0 like DIsplay Port which my cheap AOC monitor can do over DP
I think you mentioned it before but I cannot find it. What type of content are playing from your PC on your C6?
post #28630 of 28698 Old 05-22-2020, 02:24 PM

Quote:
I think you mentioned it before but I cannot find it. What type of content are playing from your PC on your C6?
Mainly gaming and some movies, especially 3D movies via VLC. I have mostly pre 2018 games. Most of the ones I care to play are not HDR. Most. Some are.
post #28631 of 28698 Old 05-22-2020, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Mainly gaming and some movies, especially 3D movies via VLC. I have mostly pre 2018 games. Most of the ones I care to play are not HDR. Most. Some are.
Do you ever play uncompressed 4k movies via disk or direct rips without any compression?
post #28632 of 28698 Old 05-22-2020, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Do you ever play uncompressed 4k movies via disk or direct rips without any compression?
Lmao never. I play BD movies on my PS3 and I don't own any 4K movies. But if I were to, I might get a portable BD-DVD drive... or maybe a PS5 or something.As of now, no 4K BD dvds
post #28633 of 28698 Old 05-22-2020, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Lmao never. I play BD movies on my PS3 and I don't own any 4K movies. But if I were to, I might get a portable BD-DVD drive... or maybe a PS5 or something.As of now, no 4K BD dvds
In that case, that simplifies this quite a bit. You don't need to worry about 10-bpc color at all because you are not playing any content that uses this standard. So stick with RGB/Full. There may be a rare game or two that uses WCG, but they are very far and in between currently. If you do run across one and want to fully utilize it then change your settings before opening the game to 4:2:2 10-bit 60hz play the game and set it back.
post #28634 of 28698 Old 05-22-2020, 04:52 PM

Quote:
In that case, that simplifies this quite a bit. You don't need to worry about 10-bpc color at all because you are not playing any content that uses this standard. So stick with RGB/Full. There may be a rare game or two that uses WCG, but they are very far and in between currently. If you do run across one and want to fully utilize it then change your settings before opening the game to 4:2:2 10-bit 60hz play the game and set it back.
So you're back to staying that 4:2:2 YCbr at 10bpc would be better than RGB full 8bpc despite the YCbr being limited in color space
post #28635 of 28698 Old 05-22-2020, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
So you're back to staying that 4:2:2 YCbr at 10bpc would be better than RGB full 8bpc despite the YCbr being limited in color space
Only for the specific times that your are playing games or watching contendt that supports 10-bit color and HDR.
post #28636 of 28698 Old 05-26-2020, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Need empty box for curved 55" OLED

Anybody got one to sell?

I just bought a curved 55" OLED from across the country and the owner doesn't have the original packing material. Hoping to find someone who might still have a box for any curved 55" OLED.
post #28637 of 28698 Old 05-29-2020, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked: 560
I guess I’ll ask this here folks.

I have a 65 and 55 C6. In opinion only, after the 6 series, which generation took the greatest leap forward in perceived picture quality?

I’m have been on the fence for a while about an upgrade but I bet I’m expecting great changes up to X and in reality perceived picture quality with be more evolutionary and will be better than 6 but not a huge difference as I might be expecting.

I would imagine the user settings are much improved. Just doing a view at the store, when we could go, was at times hard to compare.

I also understand subtle changes mean a lot for some between the generations but I spent a hell of a lot of money back in the day upgrading every other year. I’ve got myself off that train but with 9 or X or Sony, it may be a good time to move.
post #28638 of 28698 Old 05-29-2020, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Factory calibration is a bit better and I believe the controls are generally more well behaved if you are having it professionally calibrated. The software has been tweaked to better handle output of near black as well from what I understand. However, with respect to raw image quality of the panel, there hasn't been much of a jump forward even all the way to the X models.

Motion handling is a lot better though. One of the huge weaknesses of the 2016 models is the inability to properly display 24fps cadence from a 60p source. It could do with 1080i60, but not 1080p60 or 4kp60. If you want proper 24fps cadence, you need to actually give it a 24fps signal (or use an internal app for the service which would use the proper framerate.)

This has become less of an issue in recent years though with most of the major streaming devices making it possible to output native 24fps material.

Really though, there just hasn't been enough progression to make it worth giving up 3d yet in my opinion.
post #28639 of 28698 Old 05-30-2020, 12:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2618 Post(s)
Liked: 2331
Disney+ now apparently supports the magic remote

Sent from my OnePlus 5 using Tapatalk
Hetfieldjames likes this.

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HT-Z9F, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Sony UBP-X700, Chromecast Ultra
Check out my video game movie edits
post #28640 of 28698 Old 05-31-2020, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Mr.SoftDome, I have both a C6 and C9. I've kept my C6 because since buying it and the JVC x500 I've become a massive fan of 3D, so it now lives in my office and I built a theater round that. I get to use my C9 in the theater and C6 in the office on the same day.

The C9 is a FAR better TV. I think online communities obsess way too much over HDR and peak nits, tone mapping and so on. They are important for sure, but what I never picked up from any of the reviews is just how much better regular SDR material looks on the c9. It's night and day. Dark scenes are handled so well and noise isn't really any issue. I use a 3D LUT with MadVR for my C6 which made a dramatic improvement in low light greys/gamma it was night and day. I ran the same 3D lut on the C9 and I found my unit had a better native gamma/greyscale performance than what I could achieve with an i1 Display Pro 3D LUT.

HDR is also rendered much better - it doesn't look like a horrible noisy mess - especially Netflix. I can have motion smoothing at 1 and there's not many artifacts on the C9 vs C6.

The full scene peak brightness is also much improved - I notice this mostly when using my PC.

Please keep in mind I watch in pitch black. The more light you have in the room - the less the dark scene performance you'll notice.

80% of my watching is still 2D SDR, 10% is 2D HDR and finally 10% is 3D. If I had to give up the 3D to move to a C9 I just might - because of the dramatic improvement in low bitrate sources. But if you could find another home for the C6 just park it there. There's going to be upcoming surround sound headphones that use your own ears to synthesize a surround sound system. So just mount it on a wall somewhere and wait for that tech to mature. Then you can enjoy 3D in the future!
post #28641 of 28698 Old 06-01-2020, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SoftDome View Post
I guess I’ll ask this here folks.

I have a 65 and 55 C6. In opinion only, after the 6 series, which generation took the greatest leap forward in perceived picture quality?

I’m have been on the fence for a while about an upgrade but I bet I’m expecting great changes up to X and in reality perceived picture quality with be more evolutionary and will be better than 6 but not a huge difference as I might be expecting.

I would imagine the user settings are much improved. Just doing a view at the store, when we could go, was at times hard to compare.

I also understand subtle changes mean a lot for some between the generations but I spent a hell of a lot of money back in the day upgrading every other year. I’ve got myself off that train but with 9 or X or Sony, it may be a good time to move.
Hey Mr. SoftDome,

I, too, have the LG OLED 65" C6 with roughly 3k hours on it. I've been debating upgrading but I love the fact that this tv does 3D, 4K Dolby Vision HDR, and regular HDR.
Sure, it's old and therefore doesn't do it the best anymore but a majority of the content I watch is 4K HDR either streaming Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+, or through my OPPO UDP203 4k player.
I play Tom Clancy's The Division 2 and Gears of War 5 via my Xbox One X but plan to get the new Xbox Series X and PS5 later this year.
I do understand that my C6 will not be able to utilize all of the newer functions (eARC, VAR, 8k visuals, 60 fps Dolby Vision, etc. etc. etc.)
Sure I watch sports (soccer, basketball, tennis, golf) but Xfinity allows World Cup & Olympics in 4k which is pretty cool.
I have a robust 3D collection that I still upgrade via buying 3D movies overseas (UK, Asia, etc.)
I plan to rock my C6 'til the wheels fall off and perform the pixel static clearing or whatever it's called, every couple of weeks.
I have a traditional 7.1 channel surround sound home theater system and not a fan of sound bars so I will not be placing any tv's on my wall anytime soon.
Until 8k HDR tv pricing come down to reasonable prices along with all the hardware/cables/etc that are needed I doubt that I'll be upgrading.
It's like having a stapler and then buying a newer shinier stapler even though the old stapler with scratches still works fine.
That's my 2 cents.
Tom C likes this.

TV: LG OLED65C6P
Receiver: ONKYO RZ 720 7.2 Channel 4K/HDR Receiver w/Dolby Atmos/DTS X
Consoles: Xbox One X (Scorpio Edition) and Sony PS4
UHD DVD Player: OPPO UDP-203
SVS Ultra Bookshelf and SVS Prime 5.1 Satellites w/ 12" SB-1000 sub
post #28642 of 28698 Old 06-01-2020, 06:32 PM
pbc
AVS Forum Special Member

So my wife has decided to watch CNN all day long for the past several weeks... And I now have the CNN logo burned into the lower right of my screen and some other rectangular widget burned into the bottom left.

So frustrated.

Quote:

post #28643 of 28698 Old 06-01-2020, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Most likely if you give it time with regular, non-logo viewing it will likely fade away.

Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Sony UBP-X700, Chromecast Ultra
post #28644 of 28698 Old 06-01-2020, 07:01 PM
pbc
AVS Forum Special Member

Thx...I hope it's just retention, but it's pretty vivid.... if so I'll need a new set, and a new wife.

Quote:

post #28645 of 28698 Old 06-01-2020, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post
Most likely if you give it time with regular, non-logo viewing it will likely fade away.
I have the identical problem, and it's not fading.
AV Challenged likes this.

Joe
post #28646 of 28698 Old 06-02-2020, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc View Post
So my wife has decided to watch CNN all day long for the past several weeks... And I now have the CNN logo burned into the lower right of my screen and some other rectangular widget burned into the bottom left.

So frustrated.
In the setup menu for my 2016 B6 there is an option for 'Clear Panel Noise' "Use this option to correct picture quality that may result after your TV has been turned on for an extended period of time."
Settings>All Settings>Picture>OLED Panel Settings>Clear Panel Noise

It doesn't mention burn-in or retention in particular, but it may be worth a try. Certainly cheaper than a new TV and/or a divorce lawyer.
Tom C likes this.

"When all else fails, read the manual."
post #28647 of 28698 Old 06-02-2020, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post
In the setup menu for my 2016 B6 there is an option for 'Clear Panel Noise' "Use this option to correct picture quality that may result after your TV has been turned on for an extended period of time."

It doesn't mention burn-in or retention in particular, but it may be worth a try. Certainly cheaper than a new TV and/or a divorce lawyer.
I’ve tried it to no avail. Burn-in is a chemical problem, not an electronic one.

Joe
post #28648 of 28698 Old 06-02-2020, 02:04 PM
pbc
AVS Forum Special Member

Can't locate it now, but there was a link to full screen color patterns that if I recall folks suggested running for several hours on OLED's when first purchased. Anyone have a link to the download to a USB drive?

Quote:

post #28649 of 28698 Old 06-04-2020, 09:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post
If it's actual permanent burn-in (burn out), then likely, it will not fade away with viewing of random, non-logo containing content. We've had burn-in from MSNBC since 2017 and it has not faded away, even though we don't watch that channel much anymore and when we do, we zoom in so static content is off screen. 3 years later and the burn-in is still there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post

Clear Panel Noise should remove any temporary image retention (it has for me in the past), but it won't remove permanent burn-in.

LG OLED65B6P
post #28650 of 28698 Old 06-04-2020, 10:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Clear panel noise won't remove all temporary image retention if it's severe enough.

Even "permanent burn-in" typically becomes less noticeable over time than it was at first, as you're basically always partially burning in everything around it, and the panel will tend to even out over time, even if it never completely goes away.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
arc , C6-B6 , calibration , computer , desktop , firmware update , lg c6 pc sdr hdr , lg oled , monitor , oled , oled b6 , oled lg , screen damage , screen uniformity , settings , soundbar , there is sig

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page