AVS Forum banner
3M views 30K replies 2K participants last post by  d3193 
#1 · (Edited)
I plan on getting a 65C6P and since we already have owners of the 55C6P I figured an owners thread is due.

Especially curios about panel uniformity, near black issues, content playback for UHD HDR Bluray, 3D, etc.

#20,082 ·
Contact LG and ask them. Most probably second one was repaired. Not being able to update the FW is not good but not sure if it's a deal breaker.

Do you have full manufacturer warranty and would you be able to buy a costco ST?
FW is not "automatically" updating on any of my oLEDS. when I called this morning and told them I had the 4.30.15 on all three, they said a "new" firmware update was released just yesterday! BUT, it takes up to a week to "automatically update".

All three OLEDs have the 5 year Geek Squad warranty covering until July 2022....

Reactions: Daryl L
#20,083 ·
FW is not "automatically" updating on any of my oLEDS. when I called this morning and told them I had the 4.30.15 on all three, they said a "new" firmware update was released just yesterday! BUT, it takes up to a week to "automatically update".

All three OLEDs have the 5 year Geek Squad warranty covering until July 2022....

Well, you did say

I think I may return one of them. When I hit tv info or about this tv - it shows a different serial number (different from the sticker on the back), and it will not update the firmware. !
So i assumed that it was contrasting with the other one and that you were able to update the frmware on that one ...

If you have the warranty then IMO i see no problem in keeping them.

#20,084 ·
Well, if that person knows what they're talking about, then we at least know the E/C6 models will be updating soon. I don't game so I don't use HDR game mode (that people mention looks darker) so that part is of no issue to me. The HLG is a plus for future use I guess. Somebody also mentioned that after updating to the latest Korea's FW version that they saw improved detail in near dark areas which is a plus. :)

Reactions: Superman23
#20,085 ·
Well, you did say

So i assumed that it was contrasting with the other one and that you were able to update the frmware on that one ...

If you have the warranty then IMO i see no problem in keeping them.
Cool. Thanks for the advice. I guess my fear is returning it, and regretting it... I know new technology keeps coming out, and every year better options are available, and usually for cheaper (but sometimes you lose a feature like 3D).

I went on a trek to buy all the open boxes close-by my house (DFW area) since they (Best Buy) would generally price-match a local store for the same SKU, but, not always... (I learned open box price was $1499-$1699, but, to price match to $1009.99 resulted in a few "no way"...) The open box prices are always at the discretion of the store manager (some stores will sell open box for $1499-$1699, some stores only carry new in box for $1999, some stores will sell for $1299 today if it is missing accessories like: stand, remote, glasses, composite cable adapter, component cable adapter, 2 pairs of 3D glasses - basically the entire hardware pack that comes with NEW IN BOX)

I know some people have "buyers remorse", I am afraid I will have the opposite if I return. Obviously, I can't watch 3 oleds at the same time, so hour count will remain super low for upstairs tvs... I guess I am just debating if I should keep all 3 because of the good deal (at the same time, there will be good deals in summer of 2018, summer of 2019, etc...)

For me, I like watching the best PQ available. If I am downstairs we usually watch the living room tv. If we have company over, we usually migrate to the upstairs (media room, pool table, etc..), so that is why I was upgrading the older plasmas...

Anyway, I will make a decision sooner or later. I am hoping the 2016 models will get the Atmos via ARC update. (I read it is only for 2017 tvs as for now, but that might change?)

Thanks again for all the help!

#20,087 ·
Joining The Club??

Hi,

Well, I just bought an "open box" 55C6P at Best Buy that they said had been there "about a week" and was a return from a customer. It is to be my first OLED so I'm pretty excited.

But...

It has 8584 hours on it!

And a yellowish "smear" band down the center that is several inches wide. (see pic below)

Other than that, it looks great! :)

Is this something I can fix or LG might replace the panel on or am I out of luck?

I of course have 14 days to return it. I went with the C6 because of 3D (which I love) and price.

Thanks,

--Mark--

#20,088 ·
Hi,

Well, I just bought an "open box" 55C6P at Best Buy that they said had been there "about a week" and was a return from a customer. It is to be my first OLED so I'm pretty excited.

But...

It has 8584 hours on it!

And a yellowish "smear" band down the center that is several inches wide. (see pic below)

Is this something I can fix or LG might replace the panel on or am I out of luck?

I of course have 14 days to return it. I went with the C6 because of 3D (which I love) and price.

Thanks,

--Mark--
Can you notice the yellow on normal viewing content? I would play an old NHL hockey game from NHL network to test how the ice looks and see if the yellow shows up.

#20,089 · (Edited)
Oh yes. Saw it right away on my cable box feed.

Color fields are even worse. It's burned pretty bad. Definitely a 24/7 store demo. Damn blue shirt liars.

I called LG customer support who, by the way , answered promptly and were very nice, and he is having me run the Clear Panel utility.

How much burn can't that normally handle?

If it's still there, I'm to call back and they'll see what they can do.

At the very least those BB idiots need to give me a couple hindered more off if I decide to keep it.

Reactions: sechev00
#20,090 ·
Hi,

But...

It has 8584 hours on it!

Thanks,

--Mark--
Just display a solid red screen on it, I think we will laugh.

Return that ****. 8k hours is unacceptable.

#20,093 ·
#20,095 ·
Just display a solid red screen on it, I think we will laugh.

Return that ****. 8k hours is unacceptable.
Even if LG will replace the panel? I will definitely return it if they won't.

Remember, these are getting very scarce now. And 3D is important to me.

#20,097 ·
Hi,

But...

It has 8584 hours on it!

Thanks,

--Mark--
Check out a red screen. I bought a 65B6 "store demo" with 2000+ hours on it and it was totally burned. Could plainly see on normal content as well. Promptly returned...

Attachments

#20,099 ·
Hi,

But...

It has 8584 hours on it!

--Mark--
Yikes! I'd return that quick smart. That's a lot of hours and you'll never get rid of the yellow tint. I'd be telling Best Buy there's only 168 hours in a week, not 8584!

#20,100 ·
So I decided to upgrade to a 65" C6 from the 55". It came today, and looks pretty good so far. There is some vignetting on slides, but it doesn't seem as noticeable as the 65" B6 I had in the past. When I look at a full screen pattern at 5%, the screen is very uneven. A large portion of the left half is almost black, and the right side is closer to the proper brightness for a 5% slide. I'm really hoping this is just because it's brand new and needs some hours on it.

Otherwise, the size increase is very noticeable and worth it, IMO.

Just doing a quick and dirty cal for now, but what I'm seeing so far is that it's consistent with my 55" C6—too green.