AVS Forum banner
3M views 30K replies 2K participants last post by  d3193 
#1 · (Edited)
I plan on getting a 65C6P and since we already have owners of the 55C6P I figured an owners thread is due.

Especially curios about panel uniformity, near black issues, content playback for UHD HDR Bluray, 3D, etc.

#27,741 ·
05.30.60 for the 2016 LG models (B6/C6/E6/G6) is a simple security update.
There are often unannounced changes baked into these FW since they are built from a common code base.

#27,743 ·
It would be nice to find out what the firmware 5.30.60 is about. There is a zero info on the LG site. I'm not updating until find out what are experiences of other owners after updating.
Google translated release notes for 5.30.60 from the LG Korea website. About as much detail as you'll get from LG.

1. Applicable model

- XXUH79xx
- XXUH87xx

- OLEDXXB6K

2. Final Ver

3. Changes
? Fixed bug related to season (magnifying glass)

? April MR execution Ver.

? Fixed video related bugs (Dolby HDR popup problem / No video on YouTube)

? Fixed problem that white pattern can not enter

? HDR playback and SW update (volume position correction / voice interruption improvement)

?? Improved Lip Sync problem when watching RF

?? Improved response to Bluetooth initialization message

?? Improved voice interruption with sound bar connection

?? Improvement of problem of no blood signal when changing TV CH

? SONY PS4-pro HDCP2.2 Fail (no signal)
? 70UH8730 / 8750 Correction for facial color abnormalities

? during video playback SDR in Korea toward T7 HDR Shop Equipment Color teuleojim

?? Fixed the problem that voice noise is generated in speaker (OLED B6K model is recognized)

? HDR Input Rack (HDR game mode compatible)

? the App termination of service on the pop-up guidance applicable (05.30.03)

? No Signal Change screen background picture (05.30.03)

? Change to Amazon HDR mode (05.30.03)

?? Compliance with Bluetooth headset volume (05.30.15)

? Bug fix (05.30.25)

Poor response due to contract expiration with ? Channel Plus EveryOn (05.30.45)

? HDMI Contour Noise issue (05.30.50)

? Security Update (05.30.60)

#27,745 ·
There are often unannounced changes baked into these FW since they are built from a common code base.
Possible but very unlikely anything 'big' made it into this version besides the security fixes LG lists in the official change log.
2016 LG OLED TVs are obviously in what Microsoft would call "extended support" mode and no longer in "mainstream support" mode. I.e. this generation does no longer receive feature updates but only bugfixes and security updates.

LG is currently rolling out this version very fast in all countries and for all models. They wouldn't do that if this version would contain bigger and possible breaking changes. It's a clear indication that they mainly want to fix a pressing security vulnerability asap.

#27,746 ·
Weill I finally did it. My C6 will sit behind my new C8 and only be used for 3D content.

I'd been debating this for quite a while and three weeks ago checked and saw that I had 3600 hours on the C6 so I started watching a 3D movie and within 10 minutes I was on the internet ordering the C8. 3D is just awesome.
i have been pondering too. trying to hold out for an affordable oled that supports both DV and the unnecessary HDR10+. to bad samsung had to go their own way again.

#27,747 ·
Weill I finally did it. My C6 will sit behind my new C8 and only be used for 3D content.

I'd been debating this for quite a while and three weeks ago checked and saw that I had 3600 hours on the C6 so I started watching a 3D movie and within 10 minutes I was on the internet ordering the C8. 3D is just awesome.
Smart move for fans of 3D. Just not worth putting hours on a rare 3D Oled for things other than 3D. I made the same choice about a year ago. Except being a poor kid, I bought a used 3D LCD. Happy knowing I have my Oled to keep 3D alive when the LCD fails. Oled 3D is...simply the very best 3D TV's ever made. Totally awesome viewing.

#27,748 · (Edited)
Am I doing something wrong with the firmware downgrade?
I extracted & moved the LgDTVUpDater folder directly to C:/
I replaced all the values to the AcrylicHosts.txt file to have my local IP address (from where I got it from cmd > ipconfig > IPv4 numbers) saved & exited the txt file.

I download the mirror for firmware 4.31.20 & then extracted the .epk file & moved it to the htdocs folder inside the LgDTVUpDater folder.

I hit the start.bat file inside the LgDTVUpDater folder & follow the instructions until I get two windows to pop, apache.exe & AcrylicConsole.exe are running.

I then turn on my TV & check for firmware updates & it a firmware update for the latest one shows up: 5.30.25

Not 4.31.20.
I even tried disabling Windows Firewall & got the same thing.

EDIT:
Under my settings & View Network Properties, it shows my IP address with a /24 at the end
IPv4 address 192.xxx.0.xxx/24

Also when I go to my Dlink router page, it shows an IP address for my Wireless connection having a different IP.
If I change the AcrylicHosts.txt to that IP, that IP address won't show up when I run start.dat

Here are all the different IP numbers
https://i.imgur.com/4k2WpUX.png
I don't know which to pick.

#27,749 ·
Am I doing something wrong with the firmware downgrade?
I extracted & moved the LgDTVUpDater folder directly to C:/
I replaced all the values to the AcrylicHosts.txt file to have my local IP address (from where I got it from cmd > ipconfig > IPv4 numbers) saved & exited the txt file.

I download the mirror for firmware 4.31.20 & then extracted the .epk file & moved it to the htdocs folder inside the LgDTVUpDater folder.

I hit the start.bat file inside the LgDTVUpDater folder & follow the instructions until I get two windows to pop, apache.exe & AcrylicConsole.exe are running.

I then turn on my TV & check for firmware updates & it a firmware update for the latest one shows up: 5.30.25

Not 4.31.20.
I even tried disabling Windows Firewall & got the same thing.

EDIT:
Under my settings & View Network Properties, it shows my IP address with a /24 at the end
IPv4 address 192.xxx.0.xxx/24

Also when I go to my Dlink router page, it shows an IP address for my Wireless connection having a different IP.
If I change the AcrylicHosts.txt to that IP, that IP address won't show up when I run start.dat

Here are all the different IP numbers
https://i.imgur.com/4k2WpUX.png
I don't know which to pick.
Sounds like you haven't edited the network settings on your TV?

Also you haven't mentioned about editing that other text file, point 5-6 in the guide.

#27,751 · (Edited)
Sounds like you haven't edited the network settings on your TV?

Also you haven't mentioned about editing that other text file, point 5-6 in the guide.
I skipped part 2, because my TV is connected via wifi & a few people said it works over wifi & not directly being connected.
I need to go out & buy a 30 foot ethernet cable if I want to hook up the TV directly.

It said steps 4 & 5 were optional & not needed to be done?

I followed them anyway to the letter & the only line of the text file in dump.text I changed was the date the file was created, (yesterday).
I also ran Run startDNS.bat and startHTTP.bat as it said & left it open.
Now when I run Start.bat it says: "Binding to address 0.0.0.0 and port and port 53 failed. Is there another DNS server/proxy running?"

EDIT:
Retried again using a different guide, still doesn't work. The new firmware always appears. Never the older one.
I even added these 3 new lines in AcrylicHosts.txt
rdvs.alljoyn.org
fi.lgtvsdp.com
us.lgtvsdp.com
Along with my local IP address in front of them
Do I have to mess around with my connection settings on my TV to make this work, even if I'm using this wirelessly?

#27,752 ·
Really hope the new firmware fixes the black levels.
The new firmware is only security fixes. It says it on lg's website.

Just click on the reference link next to the firmware link.

TV - LG C8 & LG C6, AVR - Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro & Switch

#27,753 ·
I skipped part 2, because my TV is connected via wifi & a few people said it works over wifi & not directly being connected.
[...]
Do I have to mess around with my connection settings on my TV to make this work, even if I'm using this wirelessly?
I'm sorry and I don't mean to be rude but it sounds like you don't really know what you're doing or how the LgDTVUpDater actually works.

Here's what this solution does and how it works:
whenever your TV searches for a firmware update it contacts an LG website via HTTP. The (XML) response tells your TV if there's an update available and how it can be downloaded.
So in order to return your own response you need to hook into the communication (e.g. with a transparent proxy) or redirect the traffic to your own server(s).

LgDTVUpDater does the latter. The first thing you need for this to work is your own HTTP server which will send the desired response (and provide the firmware file for the "local" method). The second thing is a DNS server which resolves the DNS name of the request to the IP address of your own HTTP server. Both servers are part of the LgDTVUpDater.

So yes, you need to change the network settings of your TV in order for it to use your own DNS server. This usually means the PC with the DNS server and your TV have to be in the same subnet, otherwise the communication between them will fail.

You can check if your DNS server is properly configured and running with the following command:
Code:
nslookup snu.lge.com
is the IP address of the PC with your running DNS server.

The result of the call should look like this:
Server: UnKnown
Address:

Name: snu.lge.com
Address:
If this call fails or the IP is sth. like 136.166.4.xx (which is the actual IP of the LG server) then your DNS server is not configured properly.

After that you just have to make sure the HTTP server is running on the same IP address and that you've placed the response and firmware files in the proper directories of the web server (htdocs folder for Apache).
And of course the DNS server setting on your TV has to be set accordingly, otherwise your TV won't resolve the IP address with your own DNS server.

#27,755 ·
Out of left field B6 owner feeling not impressed. Anyone else?

Okay so this is out of left field a bit. As a B6 owner for a few years, I've not wanted to actually feel this way but I'm finally giving in to the fact that maybe I'm not that impressed with this TV that I want to think is amazing because of all the things I've read. I'm not that impressed with the detail in the blacks and find myself fiddling with the brightness 1 or 2 notches all the time to try to feel like I'm impressed with the black detail but I'm not.

I feel like when it starts to look really awesome when I'm watching in terms of color richness, it's too dark in the blacks but the richness of the picture is fantastic. So I bump it up 1 brightness and it brings back that subtle detail but then the black bars show white which I hate. I use the black bars to determine the brightness setting I guess. If I see white (brightness) in in the black bars I feel like I need to turn it down so that is completely black for the bars but that setting makes me feel like the dark loses detail. Is that even a real way to determine brightness level? I would assume if there is no data going to that area of the screen, they should be completely black. Any truth to that?

Yes when it's an outdoor or really nice lit scene yes, it looks awesome, but dark scenes in movies just don't wow me like I thought considering what I paid for this TV. Is there just so few really good content available that I'm just not watching the amazing stuff?

I don't want to continue just looking for feedback or thoughts on what I've said to see if anyone can relate. I'm still on the 4.31.20 as I never upgraded due to the feedback in this thread. Still doesn't sound like there is a solid firmware available from what is being presented here in a quick couple month review. Maybe that's what I'm missing? Feedback appreciated. Thank you.

EDIT: Just to be clear this is not a big complaint post by any means. Very impressed with a lot of what the TV can do. Just sharing how I feel about it and want to know if maybe I'm crazy with over expectations based on my research before buying.

#27,756 · (Edited)
I need to go out & buy a 30 foot ethernet cable if I want to hook up the TV directly.

It said steps 4 & 5 were optional & not needed to be done?

I followed them anyway to the letter & the only line of the text file in dump.text I changed was the date the file was created, (yesterday).
I also ran Run startDNS.bat and startHTTP.bat as it said & left it open.
Now when I run Start.bat it says: "Binding to address 0.0.0.0 and port and port 53 failed. Is there another DNS server/proxy running?"

EDIT:
Retried again using a different guide, still doesn't work. The new firmware always appears. Never the older one.
I even added these 3 new lines in AcrylicHosts.txt
rdvs.alljoyn.org
fi.lgtvsdp.com
us.lgtvsdp.com
Along with my local IP address in front of them
Like Hifivision said you need to change the network settings on your tv like it stated in the guide.

You need to change the TVs Ip address and DNS server. Once this is done it should have 2 failed crosses on the last two icons of the network checklist.

Also steps 4 and 5 are needed to downgrade.

This can be a tricky thing to do, so if you are really struggling I wouldn't bother. I would advise to start over as well with LGTVupdater as you seemed to have edited a lot of stuff that doesn't need to be.

Replace these with your computers IP address, that extra stuff you added is not needed, not sure what other guide you were using but that Joey one is the one you want to use.

192.168.50.54 snu.lge.com
192.168.50.54 lgtvonline.lge.com
192.168.50.54 su.lge.com

#27,757 ·
Okay so this is out of left field a bit. As a B6 owner for a few years, I've not wanted to actually feel this way but I'm finally giving in to the fact that maybe I'm not that impressed with this TV that I want to think is amazing because of all the things I've read. I'm not that impressed with the detail in the blacks and find myself fiddling with the brightness 1 or 2 notches all the time to try to feel like I'm impressed with the black detail but I'm not.
Are you sure you're watching high quality (high-bitrate) HDR content? If you're watching content from streaming services (Netflix, Amazon), then they're notoriously bad at compressing low-light scenes, especially with the older H.264 codec. For example, the recent season of Game Of Thrones on Amazon is just unwatchable.

You will only get top quality from UHD Blu-ray.

#27,758 ·
Really hope the new firmware fixes the black levels.
Can you please confirm what OS version you have, which has elevated black levels?

I've been stuck on 05.30.10 for a while, but my black levels are fine (calibrated using R.Masciola's HDR-10 UHD Test Patterns). Now it's offering to upgrade to 05.30.60, but I'm not quick to update.

#27,759 ·
Can you please confirm what OS version you have, which has elevated black levels?

I've been stuck on 05.30.10 for a while, but my black levels are fine (calibrated using R.Masciola's HDR-10 UHD Test Patterns). Now it's offering to upgrade to 05.30.60, but I'm not quick to update.

It's the last version before the glow was introduced. Calibrating it doesn't make a difference with the firmware bug introduced after 04.31.20.

#27,760 ·
Are you sure you're watching high quality (high-bitrate) HDR content? If you're watching content from streaming services (Netflix, Amazon), then they're notoriously bad at compressing low-light scenes, especially with the older H.264 codec. For example, the recent season of Game Of Thrones on Amazon is just unwatchable.

You will only get top quality from UHD Blu-ray.
Hey there. Thank you for the reply. Yes I'm referring to UHD discs. I know everything else (and sometimes the discs even) are totally hit or miss. I guess maybe I went overboard a bit. The only thing that really bums me out is the detail in the dark areas of the picture like hair for instance. I guess I'm under the impression that even in a dark scene I should be able to see every detail of every dark corner of what is on the screen. See every hair strand. Is that wrong? Detail in bright scenes is obviously amazing. My comments refer to standard, HDR, and DV content.

I use the black bars basically to adjust my brightness as I really dislike when there is ANY white in the black bars. Should I not have the expectations that the black bars (in appropriate aspect ratio content of course) should be completely black? That is the thing I find myself fiddling with all the time, the brightness level. I feel like when I turn brightness down so the black bars are totally black, some detail is lost and when I raise them so the detail is there, the black bars have some white in them. I mean I'm only talking about moving the brightness setting 1 or 2 levels but it annoys me that I'm constantly feeling like I have to mess with it.

I used to have Calman and I used to fiddle with calibration with an Xrite (1?) but I never really felt I had a grasp on it so I stopped. I tried all the extensive walkthroughs online and it was fun but never felt like I totally knew what I was doing with the white balance etc. That was a few years ago. If there is something newer that I can plug into my computer and the TV and have it do it automatically, that would be amazing.

I'm not sure if it's just because my TV isn't calibrated or I have ridiculous expectations but the above assumptions were what I had when I bought this TV.

Interested in your response and again thank you for taking the time to reply to my message.

EDIT: I also stopped messing with calibration because I was told the white balance in the B6 was broken so no point in doing it. Also I didn't have anything that could calibrate HDR or DV content.