No sound from cable box to LG TV - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By sambrightman

post #1 of 9 Old 04-27-2016, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 4
No sound from cable box to LG TV

My cable box is now connected directly to 55EF950V via HDMI, having previously been connected through my receiver (which has gone for repair). The picture comes through perfectly but there is no sound.

TV is set to internal speaker only. PC is connected directly to TV also via HDMI and sound works. LG Apps work, sound test works. Checked mute and volume on cable box (didn't change anything when switching the cabling). I tried switching the known-working PC HDMI input with the cable box input, no luck.

The TV says PCM in the info bar at the top when switching to the HDMI input that the cable box is on. This is the same for the PC.

Any ideas? Is there a setting I could have missed? I can't find any relevant audio settings on the cable box menus.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-27-2016, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked: 628
First, I am assuming the TV has an actual HDMI port you are using, not a DisplayPort with a HDMI-to-DisplayPort adapter. (DisplayPort wasn't designed to carry audio.)

Since you didn't identify the cable service nor the cable box, I can't even look up the manual for your cable box. But somewhere your cable box probably also allows you to select one of a limited number of audio formats, and select whether to turn off or use the TV speakers. It is in those settings that you may have set up the audio options to make best use of your Receiver but may end up being incompatible with the TV.

For example, the RNG200N HD-DVR that I am renting from Comcast has a setup menu (accessed by pressing the Menu button twice, then clicking on Setup), and Audio is one of the choices on that menu. On that menu there are several options, including Surround Sound, Stereo, TV speakers. I personally have that set to TV Speakers, then I clicked on the button that says "Optimize".

My very humble setup:
Spoiler!
post #3 of 9 Old 04-28-2016, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post
First, I am assuming the TV has an actual HDMI port you are using, not a DisplayPort with a HDMI-to-DisplayPort adapter. (DisplayPort wasn't designed to carry audio.)

Since you didn't identify the cable service nor the cable box, I can't even look up the manual for your cable box. But somewhere your cable box probably also allows you to select one of a limited number of audio formats, and select whether to turn off or use the TV speakers. It is in those settings that you may have set up the audio options to make best use of your Receiver but may end up being incompatible with the TV.

For example, the RNG200N HD-DVR that I am renting from Comcast has a setup menu (accessed by pressing the Menu button twice, then clicking on Setup), and Audio is one of the choices on that menu. On that menu there are several options, including Surround Sound, Stereo, TV speakers. I personally have that set to TV Speakers, then I clicked on the button that says "Optimize".
This is a UPC Netherlands "mediabox" from before they were bought by Ziggo. Diagnostics page says manufacturer PhilipsCE hardware version 018.052 software version 4.0.1.3E12.

Pure HDMI at both ends. I have never had anything other than HDMI connected to it, so the audio must go over HDMI.

I can't find any audio settings to change. The settings menu offers volume and HDMI audio synchronisation. I think there used to be more settings before the rebranding software update.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-28-2016, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post
DisplayPort wasn't designed to carry audio
This is actually incorrect - DisplayPort can very much carry audio, it's just that implementing support for it is optional (because a lot of PC monitors don't have internal speakers).
post #5 of 9 Old 04-30-2016, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

I found an optical output on the back of the cable box and plugged in some speakers that accept optical input. This produces sound except on Dolby Digital channels. Still cannot find any settings to control audio formats or outputs, Googling for service menus etc doesn't turn anything up. Never needed anything except HDMI before. Verified that TV has native DD and DTS decoding.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-01-2016, 11:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 19
So it sounds like you were using the HDMI for ARC and now that your receiver is in the shop, you just want to use internal speakers? Did you go back into sound menu and remove all the setting for external speakers? Change sound out back to internal speakers etc?

If that doesn't work, Also, I recommend you go into the device connector setup in web OS and go through the set top box setup again and if worse comes to worse reset tv settings to initial settings and set up your tv as if it were new and you had no receiver for sound.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-02-2016, 04:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorrison55 View Post
So it sounds like you were using the HDMI for ARC and now that your receiver is in the shop, you just want to use internal speakers? Did you go back into sound menu and remove all the setting for external speakers? Change sound out back to internal speakers etc?

If that doesn't work, Also, I recommend you go into the device connector setup in web OS and go through the set top box setup again and if worse comes to worse reset tv settings to initial settings and set up your tv as if it were new and you had no receiver for sound.
I don't think ARC was part of the setup with the exception of audio from TV apps to external speakers. Every device goes into the receiver, then receiver goes to TV and external speakers. This also worked on the previous TV without ARC support, so pretty sure no ARC involved. Now devices go straight into TV and TV is switched from audio out to internal speakers. Internal speaker setting works; works for apps and some other (also HDMI) inputs, just not the cable box.

I've been through the device setup twice already. I will try to clean it out and start again. At this point I'm indeed suspecting the TV settings a little, sound settings on web OS are quite a few permutations, seemingly in different menu locations and sometimes implicit.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-13-2016, 03:21 AM - Thread Starter

I had no success with this and no answer from the Ziggo forums. Receiver is now repaired and HDMI audio for the cable box works immediately.
NintendoManiac64 likes this.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-16-2016, 05:59 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambrightman View Post
I had no success with this and no answer from the Ziggo forums. Receiver is now repaired and HDMI audio for the cable box works immediately.

Had a similar problem at the weekend with my 55ef950v and PS3 - using ARC - sound works for clicks etc, started play Mad Max Fury Road on Blu Ray and the intro sound worked but as soon as the movie started no sound. (though tracks 2-5 e.g. Italian and Spanish worked).

Ended up putting the PS3 directly through my Yamaha amp and all is good - must be some codec that the TV did not understand and would not pass forward.

Anyway really annoying!!!

W.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
cable box , hdmi , lgtelevisions , sound

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page