Samsung denies OLED by next year ( article ) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes
Closed Thread

post #1 of 36 Old 05-04-2016, 02:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Samsung denies OLED by next year ( article )

But might have something else up its sleeve

Samsung has rejected a claim from the OLED Association predicting that it would reintroduce an OLED TV lineup in 2017.

President and TV Chief of Samsung Electronics, Kim Hyun-Seok, has reaffirmed that the company has no intentions to manufacture OLED TVs. But it would appear that the rumour will not die that easily.
The Korea Herald said Kim's “tone and manner was stronger than ever,” which indicates that Samsung might have something else planned for the upcoming lineup of televisions it’s expected to showcase at CES 2017.

Samsung had been investing in OLED research, and so far has been skeptical about adopting it. It has said that the market is not ready for the emerging technology because it costs too much to make and the production process is tricky. Instead Samsung is pushing its newly-developed cadmium-free 10-bit Quantum Dot technology. It already has the manufacturing facilities in place to produce them on a larger scale. It claims that Quantum Dot outpaces current OLED TVs in terms of clarity and brightness.

What cunning plan Samsung has for next year will probably be centred around quantum dot and making sure that it comes out at a cheaper price than what it is on the market now.

http://www.fudzilla.com/news/40598-s...d-by-next-year
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 05-04-2016, 03:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4287 Post(s)
Liked: 3710
Appropriately named website. In other words, we still can't competitively make OLED TVs so we're gonna' spread some FUD about how the competition stacks up against a product in the lab.

A legitimate reference for that article: http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20160504000629
vavan likes this.

Last edited by video_analysis; 05-04-2016 at 04:09 AM.
post #3 of 36 Old 05-04-2016, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

No Samsung OLED TVs in the ‘foreseeable future’

Samsung has restated their position on the production of OLED TVs, with the confirmation the company will definitely not be releasing one in 2017 and nor is it a consideration for a ‘future direction.’
This slightly depressing news came courtesy of the company’s television chief, Kim Hyun-seok in a discussion with Korean journalists at Samsung HQ in South Korea; it effectively leaves Samsung’s biggest rivals in the sector, LG, without serious competition in the OLED market for the foreseeable future.

“I have always said it would take two to three years to consider OLED TV. But now when little progress has been made on its tricky production and high costs since our suspension back in 2013, I wouldn’t say OLED is our future direction,” said Hyun-seok in, reportedly, bullish fashion.

The exec went on reaffirm Samsung’s commitment to Quantum Dot technology, currently deployed in the company’s range of SUHD TVs to help them produce the wider colour gamuts necessary for UHDA premium status and to get closer to the Rec.2020 colour gamut specified in the Ultra HD Blu-ray standard.

“It is also likely that new technology like quantum dot could progress faster than OLED,” he said

He was probably specifically referring to QDs ability to produce wider colour gamuts, here, as there’s no current indication the technology can help LED/LCD match the contrast and black levels that OLED TVs can reach.

Kim ended the conference in confident mood by saying: “Starting this year, the quantum dot TVs are being launched globally. We will become the No. 1 TV maker for the 11th consecutive year,” and we guess you can’t argue with the bottom line even if we’d love to see Samsung give OLED another shot.

https://www.avforums.com/news/no-sam...e-future.12594
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 Old 05-05-2016, 04:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Sounds like a bunch of FUD until they do get OLED production going. They don't want to worry investors or slow current LCD sales.
Magnesus likes this.
post #5 of 36 Old 05-05-2016, 04:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1807 Post(s)
Liked: 1238
Seeing is believing. Maybe Samsung is full of it. Maybe not. Won't know until we see their 2017 lineup.

I'm not 100% sold on OLED being the future. LG needs to make sizes other than 55" and 65" and lower production costs to insure it's long term success. No matter how good the picture is, paying $5K for a 65" TV won't work for 99% of the population.
post #6 of 36 Old 05-05-2016, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

CEO of Samsung is not playing or lying
if he say so this NO .

interestingly experts that have screens "Pioneer Kuro"
not replace,because OLED LG has problems
post #7 of 36 Old 05-05-2016, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes, Samsung is full of it. LCD is at the EOL until the emissive stuff arrives.

Which experts, pop? With Some Kuro owners, you'd have to pry the things from their dead hands before they let go.
post #8 of 36 Old 05-06-2016, 03:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 175
QLED was mention on one of Scott's HT Geeks shows after CES 2015 or 2016. QLED is emissive tech based on QDOT. Samsung might find it cheaper then OLED and it is supposed to last a lot longer then OLED.
post #9 of 36 Old 05-06-2016, 03:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The CEO is referencing their current incorporation of quantum dot, not the emissive stuff, which is still only available in prototype form at best.
post #10 of 36 Old 05-06-2016, 04:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
The CEO is referencing their current incorporation of quantum dot, not the emissive stuff, which is still only available in prototype form at best.
Maybe Samsung has made a major break in QLED?
According to a report from Korea, Samsung is considering developing Quantum-Dot displays (QLEDs) for TV panels that will compete with OLED TVs.
http://www.oled-info.com/samsung-rep...-qled-tvs-2020
post #11 of 36 Old 05-06-2016, 05:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Sounds promising, but has anyone even seen a TV-sized prototype? I thought they have poor lifespans as well.
post #12 of 36 Old 05-06-2016, 05:30 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
...there was some samsung funded research years ago, drummed up on physorg and such websites about how quantum dot technology has subpar efficiency, this was before samsung ran into the wall with oled.

Maybe it's time to talk about that efficiency stuff again, the heroic europeans are literally mad for eco-stuff anyway.
post #13 of 36 Old 05-06-2016, 05:42 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1407
I spoke to a rep from a QD + film company earlier this year who hinted at big things to come in the display space (beyond QD Films that are just used to augment / filter the LED backlight on LCD TVs). Perhaps this is what Samsung has up its sleeve. If QD emissive displays can be produced more cheaply and maybe with printers, it could be an OLED killer.

OLED is great but it still has a lot of technical problems, even without discussing price. (lifespan, peak luminance, both of which are super important these days, especially the latter for HDR).

EDIT : I was going to add that HDR, needing higher peak luminance which OLED struggles with, could reduce its life expectancy, but according to some reports about UHD Bluray masters, the average picture level (APL) on typical UHD masters is actually less overall than SDR, so it's possible that even with the higher peak lumens needs of HDR systems like Dolby Vision, OLED lifespan might even come out ahead (depending on content of course). I'm pretty sure if you play games like Mario Bros maxed out on an OLED that it will burn through that lifespan fairly quickly. Most Bluray movies average 8-15% (of peak) luminance of SDR's 100 nits, so I'm not even sure that HDR increases luminance needs all that much overall. Of course on a pixel-by-pixel level, it could hurt, but I hope things like sports logos on TV stations don't go higher than 100 nits brightness even on an HDR stream.

I heard from the Dolby engineers that their 4000 nits TV uses only about 150 watts on average, due to FALD. That number could be way, way lower on an equivalent OLED since it's 1 pixel = 1 fald zone, and specular highlights tend to be narrower on average. Actually specular highlights seemed to me to be MUCH smaller on the Lego movie side by side on the SDR TV next to their reference monitor. Meaning that the luminance is simply concentrated over fewer pixels, but quite possibly that could result in the overall power draw being less due to the improvements of the new luminance curves.

Last edited by RLBURNSIDE; 05-06-2016 at 05:57 AM.
post #14 of 36 Old 05-06-2016, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2377 Post(s)
Liked: 1382
There are some rumours that samsung will introduce QLED 2020 or a bit later. Well since samsung is not adventurous enough to go OLED they certainly will not go QLED which is even more risky..
video_analysis likes this.
post #15 of 36 Old 05-06-2016, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thank you for injecting some sensibility into the discussion, 8mile (the latter paragraphs in your post were pretty interesting, too, Burnside ). 6athome, the link gives us an estimated date of 2020. With the way display tech moves, that's probably optimistic. Might want to wait for a freaking prototype to surface before we we can proclaim the emissive OLED killer will be here tomorrow.

Last edited by video_analysis; 05-06-2016 at 01:24 PM.
post #16 of 36 Old 05-07-2016, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1895 Post(s)
Liked: 2197
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheronB View Post
Sounds promising, but has anyone even seen a TV-sized prototype? I thought they have poor lifespans as well.
There is no full-color, high-resolution prototype of this technology in any size, demonstrated ever, by anyone.
video_analysis likes this.

There's a saying about "everything in moderation". If only it was applied to well, you know...
post #17 of 36 Old 05-08-2016, 05:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 17
These news make it even easier to buy a 55B6 later this year
post #18 of 36 Old 05-08-2016, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmax View Post
These news make it even easier to buy a 55B6 later this year
Poor quality LG OLED screens
worse Processor
Grayscale worse

1. No calibration disc for RGBW only RGB
2. UPSCALE worse on RGBW lg
3. Viewing screen WRGB through computer this not good upscale ( video card is only RGB )
4. black colors no shades, no details on WRGB ( ips like OLED )
5. no video card on WRGB no movis on WRGB no Tv on WRGB transmission quality decreases on HDMI
6.No color depth
7. You can not adjust white on video card or oppo 103
8. many problems in OLED screen with sharp as in IPS LED lg
9. lg brought option called "Super Resolution" is brings Pixelation
10. Internet connection with a computer picture looks bad

the good :

1. 3D look good / 2D to 3D look good
2.many colors but without depth in the colors ( like samsung )

very disappointed
i saw RGB OLED Samsung in 2013
still better than LG's screen in 2016
post #19 of 36 Old 05-08-2016, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popyang45 View Post
Poor quality LG OLED screens
worse Processor
Grayscale worse
No no you havent seen a B6 yet no one has. One small review mentioned not a very different picture quality than the Es and Gs. Grayscale worse? What?
post #20 of 36 Old 05-08-2016, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmax View Post
No no you havent seen a B6 yet no one has. One small review mentioned not a very different picture quality than the Es and Gs. Grayscale worse? What?
LG good in black and only black
there are no gray shades (almost )

LG's image processing also destroys the image
facial features are destroyed in OLED LG mostly in half distance

Only today's OLED PR people begin to apologize for the problems in OLED
interestingly only today were able to see what everyone sees years?
Quote:
Quote:
Secondly the gradations just above black have also been improved, resulting in a smoother transition from black into grey. The transition out of black was more crude in previous generations but this has now been refined to eliminate black crush. The engineers were using a video level pattern that showed 24 and below; 16 was black and 17 was just visible before gradually increasing up to 24, showing that the 2016 models are better able to show shadow detail in images just above black. Again we will test this performance on all the LG OLED TVs that come in for review this year.
https://www.avforums.com/article/lg-...y-vision.12512

Last edited by popyang45; 05-08-2016 at 06:34 AM.
post #21 of 36 Old 05-08-2016, 06:43 AM

First of all the near black probs are almost gone. If you dont look for it and dont know what it is you probably wont see it that is my guess. Secondly all the reviews so far say its one of the best if not the best TV right now! There is no better. Third the blacks make also brighter images look better there is no doubt the picture quality is the best and better than LCD! And Image Processing well.....image processing is never the best way to watch anything in general. Some have better image processing some worse but it cant be bad here
post #22 of 36 Old 05-08-2016, 06:49 AM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 3816 Post(s)
Liked: 3693
Quote:
LG good in black and only black
there are no gray shades (almost )

LG's image processing also destroys the image
facial features are destroyed in OLED LG mostly in half distance

Only today's OLED PR people begin to apologize for the problems in OLED
interestingly only today were able to see what everyone sees years?

https://www.avforums.com/article/lg-...y-vision.12512
Have you ever owned an oled or just read about them? I have none of those issues on my set.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2

Last edited by chunon; 05-08-2016 at 07:04 AM.
post #23 of 36 Old 05-08-2016, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2108 Post(s)
Liked: 1710
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
Have you ever owned an oled or just read about them? I have none of those issues on my set.
He's just trolling.

The fact that he said "there are no gray shades".....delusional at best.

If the LG OLED's were incapable of producing gray shades than why is my 21pt calibration spot on? I may be mistaken but going from all black to all white has gray in there somewhere...
chunon, Turrican4D and tgm1024 like this.
post #24 of 36 Old 05-08-2016, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
i have oled
and i not Publicists receiving money to selling lies
post #25 of 36 Old 05-08-2016, 07:27 AM

Quote:
i have oled
and i not Publicists receiving money to selling lies
Oh so I am receiving money ? Lol the previous poster had you pegged.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #26 of 36 Old 05-08-2016, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Oh so I am receiving money ? Lol the previous poster had you pegged.
i understand from your words that you follow me
how many names you have?
and you say you do not publicist !

no substantive answer all threats of publicist !

now you understand what happens if you buy OLED and discover that everything is **** !
People who complain about the problems in the OLED disappeared from this site!
post #27 of 36 Old 05-08-2016, 08:18 AM

Quote:
i understand from your words that you follow me
how many names you have?
and you say you do not publicist !

no substantive answer all threats of publicist !

now you understand what happens if you buy OLED and discover that everything is **** !
People who complain about the problems in the OLED disappeared from this site!
Honestly I don't know what you are saying your english is poor. I have had one user account since 2008. The fact I love my Oled doesn't make me an employee of LG. Enjoy your day.
tgm1024 likes this.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #28 of 36 Old 05-08-2016, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 374
LG's 2016 OLEDs are the shiznit according to some Hollywood cinema pros I know who use them for professional work. I don't know of anyone singing Samsung's praises at this point.
post #29 of 36 Old 05-08-2016, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Honestly I don't know what you are saying your english is poor. I have had one user account since 2008. The fact I love my Oled doesn't make me an employee of LG. Enjoy your day.
sure
interesting but suddenly you get here ?
if you had many names , would you tell us ?
if my English is miserable, why are you answering me?
Interesting write you here from 2007 !

I do not pay you for your answers, then who pays?

Last edited by popyang45; 05-08-2016 at 08:41 AM.
post #30 of 36 Old 05-08-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
sure
interesting but suddenly you get here ?
if you had many names , would you tell us ?
if my English is miserable, why are you answering me?

I do not pay you for your answers, then who pays?
It is a thread in an OLED forum I own an Oled not that hard to understand how I found the thread.

I am just offering an opinion that is counter to yours. That is what a forum is all about.
tgm1024 likes this.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page