AVS Forum banner

Burn-in worries on 2016 LG OLED

136K views 468 replies 115 participants last post by  SteveCaron 
#1 ·
I was all set to buy a 2016 LG OLED55E6P until I visited Best Buy Magnolia and saw that two out of four of their OLED TVs on display had permanent burn-in. The ones with burn-in were 2015 models and the sales guy said the 2106 models are too new to know if they will also suffer from burn-in.

I called LG and was told to not leave a static image on for more than one hour. Well, that will be impossible for me since I watch NFL Redzone, other sports channels and news channels that constantly have static images.

I do not want a TV that I have to baby and be worried about but OLED clearly has the superior picture quality today. I am used to my 9G Pioneer Elite Kuro superb picture quality but it just died and I need to replace it. I hate the thought of getting an LED/LCD TV but I do not want to have to baby a TV.

Have there been any reports of permanent burn-in on 2016 LG OLED models?

#4 ·
All Best Buys OLEDs have burn in. The sales guy tried to sell me a Samsung. I went with the 65 EF9500, coiuldn't be happier. No issues with burn in.
Carter

#5 ·
I was at my local Best Buy they other day to take a look at the Vizio P65 and to see if they got any of the new LG 2016 OLED's (didn't get yet). I was comparing the P65 to the 2015 LG OLED and immediately noticed significant burn-in on the LG. Part of the LG loop has a very large "4K" in vivid red (off the top of my head, that isn't in the loop for more than 5 seconds or so). The large "4K" plus a couple adjacent letters are burned in pretty badly. I realize it's a repeating image but, I wouldn't have thought that there would be burn on on a constantly rotating video clip.

#6 · (Edited)
216 hours on my set and not once have I seen any IR of any kind, let alone burn-in.

I have put 50 hours into the Dark Souls PC version with my 65E6 and I have noticed absolutely no IR of any of the HUD elements, windows start menu, or any other static element.

I am coming from a plasma so I know IR and am extremely sensitive to it, but my OLED has not even a touch of it.

#7 ·
This.

Store loops at Best Buy are unrealistically harsh so actual consumers are nowhere near abusing their sets to the same extent as Best Buy.

I've done my fair share of abusing with my plasmas (playing 4:3 PS2 games for over 300 hours non-stop etc) and any IRs that have accumulated go away quick so I'm not even paranoid.

#8 ·
I owned a Panasonic VT60 and it was a freaking magnetic for IR/burn-in. The only thing you could do comfortably was watch movies. Everything else was a huge risk. It really limited how I was able to enjoy the set. I really don't want to go down that road again. Haven't really heard any reports from actual owners though, just the floor models, which is kind of strange.

#9 ·
I stand by my contention that most floor models aren't shut off properly and are instead shut down at the mains at the end of the day. This prevents the TV from running its automated compensation cycle to clear up IR presence, so the daily damage gets compounded. Coming from a ZT60, which is an even worse IR magnet than its brother probably in owing to its ridiculously thin design (for a plasma), the 3 OLEDs I have owned deal with IR like a champ.

#13 ·
EG9100 600 hours no signs of IR, I am a former Panasonic plasma owner so am familiar with the IR offenders. No signs of IR at all.

Basing a purchasing decision on BB display models that dont run compensation cycles is a mistake imo. Puruse the threads here few if any IR complaints.

#15 ·
I purchased my OLED from Best Buy. I also purchased the extended, in home warranty. After 3 months I noted burn in. The Geek Squad came out and with a service remote was able to eliminate the burn in in 5 minutes. Amazing!
I purchased the service remote on EBAY so I can fix it on my own. The Geek Squad service guy said if it happens repeatedly, they would give me a new panel.

#36 ·
What do you do on the service remote to eliminate IR? I also have a service remote and would like to know what you do.
Thanks,
Carter

#30 ·
2300+ hours on 55EC9300 here. Mostly gaming. (probably pushing 80%) at this point. Destiny. ESO. Dragon age. and lately lots of Mass Effect running on a Dell Alpha console. I have yet to show any IR or burn. and I have done some of the bad things like leave things running when walking to the 7/11. hehe But I don't turn off any of the static image protections in the TV or the PS4. So yes when I come back to things the screen is very dim till I move around enough to wake up the TV to turn off the protective dimming. I have run both PC mode and regular game mode. (running with the latter of late.) I have not run into any bad image issues that could not be tied to the source images.

if you really really tried too you could probably get some IR or burning to happen. but from what I have seen with mine, you would have to work at it pretty hard to make it happen. :)

#32 ·
Well, hopefully no one here is treating their OLED like a Best Buy step child. Some common sense goes a long way preventing burn in. Some IR is inevitable but will go away.

#58 ·
So in 4+ years, I haven't spent one second babying my VT50 and there isn't a trace of anything being retained.

I guess that's my standard for "no babying".

Can the LG meet that?

#47 ·
I have to have background noise while I'm sleeping, and my E6 runs over night on ESPN. I've had my TV for almost 2 months and do not have a trace of image retention or burn in. I think the compensation cycles must be doing a masterful job.

#51 ·
Interesting thoughts on here, though I am surprised nobody has mentioned "breaking your tv in" when you first buy it. I still own a Panasonic and thought it used to get IR during the days of Burnout Paradise, today I see zero burn-in or IR on the tv (kinda like an old wine, the TV is still awesome). When I first bought it, most ppl recommended breaking the tv in for the first 100 hours (leaving the white static no-signal screen on). I wonder if that's applicable to the OLEDs...

#54 ·
We've had the B 6 now for about two weeks. As soon as my wife gets up around 8 AM she has some coffee and turns on the tv on CNN where it stays on for around 6 hours every day, except for my changing to local news, and sports, then the tv stays on much longer with ESPN and MLB. CNN has news running constantly on the bottom of the screen on a black back ground, same as my sports news. So far NO SIGN OF BURN-IN!
Prior to getting this tv REFLECTIONS was our main issue due to our bright living room. We are delighted that it has hardly ANY reflections, even compared to the Sony that previously occupied the throne in our living room.

#53 ·
I read that article about testing for IR on an OLED, and while it's interesting, they went with a 2015 model, not a 2016 model in which LG has implemented screen scrubbing features that are quite aggressive from what I've heard.

I'm planning on buying a 55-inch E6 this year, but would be curious to hear how it's doing for gamers. I have a plasma right now and I get IR all the time gaming on it, some goes away quickly, others take a few days, but it has never actually burnt anything into the display.

My parents own a 9100 OLED and from what I've seen, they've never had a single trace of IR.

#55 ·
I'm about 200 hours in on my E6. 75% gaming and web browsing, 25% TV. No IR at all and I am looking for it. I'm coming from plasma so I know where to look. (E.g. the top right browser plugins on chrome and the side scroll bar eventually burned in on my Panasonic...after 5 years...)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.