LG OLED 55/65E6 info, issues, and settings - Page 51 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 562Likes

post #1501 of 2520 Old 03-10-2017, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
You can certainly try it. Set TruMotion to ON and select User Mode. Then, Try: DeJudder 2, DeBlur 0. See if that helps.

The AVS wesbite has a free disc that you can download and burn using ISO software(free and easy to find). Its called AVS 709. It has what you'll need as far as pattenrs and stuff to set brightness and contrast. Search for it and you'll find it.
Hi RoadLizard,

Thanks again. I'll try it this afternoon.
But Have you experience this issue with your TV before? It does not happen in all movies, just some of them have this issue only with the end credits when they move up.
For example "Black Sails" end credits do not have this issue but "The Huntsman: Winter's War" has this problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 2520 Old 03-10-2017, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

What is the best way to set my DirecTV?
Should I set it to "Native" or just leave it the way it is?
post #1503 of 2520 Old 03-10-2017, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Liked: 1458
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharok View Post
Hi RoadLizard,

Thanks again. I'll try it this afternoon.
But Have you experience this issue with your TV before? It does not happen in all movies, just some of them have this issue only with the end credits when they move up.
For example "Black Sails" end credits do not have this issue but "The Huntsman: Winter's War" has this problem.
I havent seen such a thing on my set that I can recall. Try the motion settings and see what happens.

Quote:
What is the best way to set my DirecTV?
Should I set it to "Native" or just leave it the way it is?
I would set your direct TV to Native which will allow the TV to do the processing and upscaling which is what you want.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
Panny UBD-420, LG UBK-90
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1504 of 2520 Old 03-10-2017, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
I havent seen such a thing on my set that I can recall. Try the motion settings and see what happens.

I would set your direct TV to Native which will allow the TV to do the processing and upscaling which is what you want.
RoadLizard
what about a Tivo? I have read many comments to use 1080i, 1080P. I have a Tivo Bolt, do you suggest set the Tivo to native?
post #1505 of 2520 Old 03-10-2017, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince48 View Post
RoadLizard
what about a Tivo? I have read many comments to use 1080i, 1080P. I have a Tivo Bolt, do you suggest set the Tivo to native?
I asked this same question a couple pages back or in another thread recently. I tried both and could see no discernible difference, but the consensus was to just let it pass through. My understanding is then the TV does the conversion (and it adds a bit of a delay when switching between different channels with different resolutions). Not too bad though.

-RS
post #1506 of 2520 Old 03-10-2017, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
When I watch DirecTV, on some movies (not all) at the end credits, when the background is black and the text is white, I see the texts vibrating / shaking a little.
Is there anyway to stop this? Is this normal?

Will de judder help with this issue?

Thanks
I occasionally have run into the problem you described while watching Dish Network. Since this doesn't happen with UHD disc, BD disc, or OTA TV, I basically ignore it. With all the compression that cable and satellite TV use, it's a wonder we get any picture at all!

Main 4K Setup: LG OLED55E6P, Oppo UDP-203, Denon AVR X-4500H,AudioSource 2 channel amp,(3) Hsu CCB-8 bookshelf speakers, (2) Hsu HB-1 speakers,(Monoprice Monolith 28" speaker stands, (4) Dayton Audio IO655B speakers, Hsu VTF-2 and VTF-3 subs, 10" Monolith THX sub, Roku Ultra, Amazon Fire TV4K, Monoprice premium certified HDMI cables
post #1507 of 2520 Old 03-10-2017, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsteve View Post
I occasionally have run into the problem you described while watching Dish Network. Since this doesn't happen with UHD disc, BD disc, or OTA TV, I basically ignore it. With all the compression that cable and satellite TV use, it's a wonder we get any picture at all!
Thank you. I feel much better now. So it is not a TV problem.
post #1508 of 2520 Old 03-10-2017, 03:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince48 View Post
RoadLizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS1990 View Post
I asked this same question a couple pages back or in another thread recently. I tried both and could see no discernible difference, but the consensus was to just let it pass through. My understanding is then the TV does the conversion (and it adds a bit of a delay when switching between different channels with different resolutions). Not too bad though.
I would always let the TV do the upscaling versus any cable box, roku stick, Tivo, whatever. Set them to native or whatever their "unprocessed" setting would be and let your High-quality TV do the heavy lifting.
oldsteve likes this.

Panny UBD-420, LG UBK-90
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #1509 of 2520 Old 03-10-2017, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Basic Adjustments to ISF Dark Room - Consumer Reports Setting

Has any used the settings from the Consumer Reports reviews of the E6? I noticed that the settings are very different for the 65 and the 55...seems like most other settings guides usually have them the same regardless of size? I realize the Consumer settings are very basic adjustments..but that is all im looking for at this time. I have also tried those from Rtings site and Darko video...thoughts on those ? any one of them better in user's experience? thanks
post #1510 of 2520 Old 03-11-2017, 03:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Is this considered bad? I seem to get this uniformity on almost any content so I don't think it's from the video signal, it has to be the panel, Not noticeable if there is bright areas in the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1483.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	165.3 KB
ID:	2018905  
post #1511 of 2520 Old 03-11-2017, 05:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2119 Post(s)
Liked: 795
Quote:
do you think the tv is better upscaler than in my denon x3300w? debating on bypassing or doing 1080p or 4k upscale on the denon.
post #1512 of 2520 Old 03-11-2017, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 14
need some advice with bad satellite feed

Have owned my 65E6P since mid-Jan. Thoroughly enjoying it... except when watching a number of programs on satellite. I wish I had the option to follow RoadLizard's counsel below but I'm on Bell TV here in Canada and my PVR (DVR) only allows 1080i or 720p output (I have mine set at 1080i).

Quote:
I would always let the TV do the upscaling versus any cable box, roku stick, Tivo, whatever. Set them to native or whatever their "unprocessed" setting would be and let your High-quality TV do the heavy lifting.
I'm not expert on these matters so I try to read these threads and educate myself as much as I can. Best way I can explain the issue is as follows: in fast-paced scenes, i.e., during Platoon, at the end, Sheen's character is about to board a helicopter that is waiting for him to leave. As the blades are spinning in the air, there is a high-degree of artifacting (hoping this is the right word), noise, etc. In laymen's terms, it looks like the video is tearing/ripping within the blades. I realize that my satellite signal is overly-compressed and I am chalking this up to a terrible signal on a terribly great TV!

That said, I am wondering how best to mitigate/resolve this issue. I have tried some of the recommended TruMotion/User/DJ & DB settings. Still searching for the best ratio here (RoadLizard, I have been following a number of your tips along the way).

I am wondering if anyone has had any success with resolving a situation like mine in this regard?

Has anyone had success with (or recommend) increasing the Noise Reduction and/or MPEG Noise reduction settings?

Even if I can't fully resolve what appears to be tearing/ripping in fast-paced scenes (which, for example, can also include an arm/hand that is waving fast), I would like to try to minimize this effect.

I don't think anything is wrong with my TV; I don't observe any of this effect on 1080p/4K Blu-ray and I don't observe the problem when streaming Amazon, Netflix, etc. It appears to be my horribly compressed satellite signal.

Thx in advance for any tips/suggestions.
post #1513 of 2520 Old 03-11-2017, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
Is this considered bad? I seem to get this uniformity on almost any content so I don't think it's from the video signal, it has to be the panel, Not noticeable if there is bright areas in the picture.
What is your brightness setting? I find anything over 51 causes this.
fhschellenberg likes this.
post #1514 of 2520 Old 03-11-2017, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
do you think the tv is better upscaler than in my denon x3300w? debating on bypassing or doing 1080p or 4k upscale on the denon.
Hard to say. I'm sure the Denon is a good product. Easiest way to find out is a simple test. Watch the exact same content using the exact same settings and set it up so one time you watch it with the Denon set to pass through(so the TV does the scaling) and then another viewing where the Denon does the work. It's a straight A/B comparison. Then, pick the one you like best!

Panny UBD-420, LG UBK-90
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #1515 of 2520 Old 03-11-2017, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilotofhope View Post
Have owned my 65E6P since mid-Jan. Thoroughly enjoying it... except when watching a number of programs on satellite. I wish I had the option to follow RoadLizard's counsel below but I'm on Bell TV here in Canada and my PVR (DVR) only allows 1080i or 720p output (I have mine set at 1080i).

I'm not expert on these matters so I try to read these threads and educate myself as much as I can. Best way I can explain the issue is as follows: in fast-paced scenes, i.e., during Platoon, at the end, Sheen's character is about to board a helicopter that is waiting for him to leave. As the blades are spinning in the air, there is a high-degree of artifacting (hoping this is the right word), noise, etc. In laymen's terms, it looks like the video is tearing/ripping within the blades. I realize that my satellite signal is overly-compressed and I am chalking this up to a terrible signal on a terribly great TV!

That said, I am wondering how best to mitigate/resolve this issue. I have tried some of the recommended TruMotion/User/DJ & DB settings. Still searching for the best ratio here (RoadLizard, I have been following a number of your tips along the way).

I am wondering if anyone has had any success with resolving a situation like mine in this regard?

Has anyone had success with (or recommend) increasing the Noise Reduction and/or MPEG Noise reduction settings?

Even if I can't fully resolve what appears to be tearing/ripping in fast-paced scenes (which, for example, can also include an arm/hand that is waving fast), I would like to try to minimize this effect.

I don't think anything is wrong with my TV; I don't observe any of this effect on 1080p/4K Blu-ray and I don't observe the problem when streaming Amazon, Netflix, etc. It appears to be my horribly compressed satellite signal.

Thx in advance for any tips/suggestions.
It probably is the signal. We all have this issue to some extent with dodgy programming. As for noise reduction and such you can certainly try it out and see what happens. It won't hurt and can be turned right back off it introduces more problems or makes things worse. You don't have smooth or clear enabled, right? Those are both pretty bad, lol.

What combos of dejudder and deblur have you tried? Just curious.

It's too bad there is so much variation out there with content, compression, signals, etc. makes it hard to help each other since we can't often mimic what other owners see! Bounce back with what you've tried and we'll see what we can do.

Panny UBD-420, LG UBK-90
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #1516 of 2520 Old 03-11-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
It probably is the signal. We all have this issue to some extent with dodgy programming. As for noise reduction and such you can certainly try it out and see what happens. It won't hurt and can be turned right back off it introduces more problems or makes things worse. You don't have smooth or clear enabled, right? Those are both pretty bad, lol.

What combos of dejudder and deblur have you tried? Just curious.

It's too bad there is so much variation out there with content, compression, signals, etc. makes it hard to help each other since we can't often mimic what other owners see! Bounce back with what you've tried and we'll see what we can do.
Thanks, RL. Right now I have TM set to User/DJ:1/DB:8. I also have Noise Red. and MPEG Noise Red. both set at Low. Clearly, right now, these settings aren't making the difference for which I am looking.

Definitely have managed to stay clear of Smooth or Clear settings (thanks to this forum!). Real Cinema for every input.

I noticed in another forum in which I posted that there may be some merit in switching my satellite input into PC mode (by just selecting the PC Icon from the input options, if I am accurate about this?). My understanding is that, because I am feeding the TV a 1080i signal, it will also allow some flexibility while in PC mode. I may try this later.
post #1517 of 2520 Old 03-11-2017, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, RL. Right now I have TM set to User/DJ:1/DB:8. I also have Noise Red. and MPEG Noise Red. both set at Low. Clearly, right now, these settings aren't making the difference for which I am looking.

Definitely have managed to stay clear of Smooth or Clear settings (thanks to this forum!). Real Cinema for every input.

I noticed in another forum in which I posted that there may be some merit in switching my satellite input into PC mode (by just selecting the PC Icon from the input options, if I am accurate about this?). My understanding is that, because I am feeding the TV a 1080i signal, it will also allow some flexibility while in PC mode. I may try this later.
PC mode has helped some users with motion issues so its certainly worth a shot. Can't hurt! I wish I could help more. Can you try dejudder 2/3 and deblur 0 for me just to see?

Otherwise, do try PC mode and bounce back and let us know if you had any improvements.

Panny UBD-420, LG UBK-90
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #1518 of 2520 Old 03-11-2017, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
My understanding is that, because I am feeding the TV a 1080i signal, it will also allow some flexibility while in PC mode. I may try this later.
Try switching your satellite box to output 720p. I had a similar problem when I was on Shaw and set my STB to output 1080p to the TV when I was only receiving a 720p or 1080i signal.

I would be surprised if Bell is delivering anything higher than 720p. Setting the satellite receiver to 720p should resolve your problem.
post #1519 of 2520 Old 03-11-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdfornasero View Post
Try switching your satellite box to output 720p... I would be surprised if Bell is delivering anything higher than 720p. Setting the satellite receiver to 720p should resolve your problem.
Thx. Set PVR to 720p (not in PC mode) and there was no resolution, however...

Quote:
...do try PC mode and bounce back and let us know if you had any improvements.
This worked!!! but only in 720p! 1080i in PC mode does not resolve the issues I was having but, inexplicably, 720p in PC mode does!

Of course, 720p in PC mode disables Real Cinema so I can't use TruMotion; now I have to observe other effects that I may not like, i.e., judder, blur. I hope PC mode doesn't introduce problems that I didn't observe with Real Cinema/TruMotion settings. Why is this technology so temperamental?

The tearing imaging I was seeing, for example, in the Platoon scene is completely gone!
post #1520 of 2520 Old 03-11-2017, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The artifacts you are seeing is from Tru Motion. I brought this up a month ago in a thread. I was watching Deadpool UHD and set TM DJ between 1-4 and DB between 8-10. Early in the beginning, there's a scene with a helicopter and the propellers were "glitching" or whatever you want to call it. I turned off TM and left Real Cinema on....problem solved. I always tell people to try to use RC as much as possible but then sometimes you're left with motion blur which also annoys people and makes them mess with TM again. You can't win basically lol Just have to let your eyes adjust as to what's acceptable to you....that's what I've learned with my OLED.
skypilotofhope likes this.
post #1521 of 2520 Old 03-11-2017, 08:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
The AVS wesbite has a free disc that you can download and burn using ISO software(free and easy to find). Its called AVS 709. It has what you'll need as far as pattenrs and stuff to set brightness and contrast. Search for it and you'll find it.
I download AVS 709 and it worked great, showed a white screen and there was no pink at all, now I'm at a loss as to why the pink ice on hockey games? I'm not sure, but it might be pixilation showing up as pink ice.
Again Thank You!

Last edited by 6athome; 03-11-2017 at 08:40 PM.
post #1522 of 2520 Old 03-11-2017, 09:05 PM

What is this? Like looking through "gauss"

I have a new 55E6. When I watch a movie thru FIOS On Demand...ex, last night watched Passengers....in a few dark scenes out side of the ship, I noticed that it looked like there was a "film" or screen" over the picture..I have noticed this on two other occasions..once when watching Moonlight, also thru On Demand..and then once while watching The Walking Dead on AMC directly (not On Demand). What is it that I am seeing? Not my imagination...def there...like looking through a gauss or something. Only happens during dark scenes. When watching live tv..like CNN or QVC or Local news....I do not see it ever...its always crystal clear. Almost seems like an intention part of the scene..like an attempt to make it seem "gritty" Hmmmm....is this normal? Thanks
post #1523 of 2520 Old 03-11-2017, 09:16 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5839 Post(s)
Liked: 8335
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiholl5333 View Post
I have a new 55E6. When I watch a movie thru FIOS On Demand...ex, last night watched Passengers....in a few dark scenes out side of the ship, I noticed that it looked like there was a "film" or screen" over the picture..I have noticed this on two other occasions..once when watching Moonlight, also thru On Demand..and then once while watching The Walking Dead on AMC directly (not On Demand). What is it that I am seeing? Not my imagination...def there...like looking through a gauss or something. Only happens during dark scenes. When watching live tv..like CNN or QVC or Local news....I do not see it ever...its always crystal clear. Almost seems like an intention part of the scene..like an attempt to make it seem "gritty" Hmmmm....is this normal? Thanks
What you are most likely seeing is "compression" artifacts due to bit starvation. The video stream is being sent at too low a data rate -- which makes the provider happy because they can squeeze more streams into the same pipe. To achieve that too low data rate the video is being compressed -- removing parts you are not suppose to notice. For example, backgrounds don't change much, so if they don't update quite as often as they should who'll care? And dark backgrounds even more so. Basically you've got the parts of the scene that don't change much and then the changing parts on top of them. You need to use bits for the changing parts, but you can bit starve the parts that don't change much.

Except, if you overdo it, people, like you, notice.

Streaming services love to play games in the near-black portions of the image because *MOST* viewers don't have their TVs set up properly and can't see anything near black anyway.
--Bob
oldsteve, mttpalmer and macmane like this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #1524 of 2520 Old 03-12-2017, 01:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 66
This TV is full of motion artifacts, I tried everything nothing works so far, I'm getting sick and tired already. Not to mention that I can't unzip the firmware that I downloaded from LG website. OLED65E6P
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	112
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	2020745  

Last edited by latreche34; 03-12-2017 at 01:58 AM.
post #1525 of 2520 Old 03-12-2017, 04:33 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Great thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by x43x View Post
The Owner's Thread specific to the G6 and E6 have a lot of info, but it is scattered and the same questions are being asked page after page. I thought it would be a good idea to have a separate thread just for the E6 since it is different than the G series. I will update this first post as needed and please let me know if things should be added.
I just got the LG E6P so I joined avsforum recently. I was really pleased to see the thread assembled specifically for the E6 although I'm sure it took awhile to organize it. I've used it several times already, and I can foresee checking in numerous times in the future. Many thanks!
x43x and macmane like this.
post #1526 of 2520 Old 03-12-2017, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
What you are most likely seeing is "compression" artifacts due to bit starvation. The video stream is being sent at too low a data rate -- which makes the provider happy because they can squeeze more streams into the same pipe. To achieve that too low data rate the video is being compressed -- removing parts you are not suppose to notice. For example, backgrounds don't change much, so if they don't update quite as often as they should who'll care? And dark backgrounds even more so. Basically you've got the parts of the scene that don't change much and then the changing parts on top of them. You need to use bits for the changing parts, but you can bit starve the parts that don't change much.

Except, if you overdo it, people, like you, notice.

Streaming services love to play games in the near-black portions of the image because *MOST* viewers don't have their TVs set up properly and can't see anything near black anyway.
--Bob
Completely accurate. Many PQ issues for any TV, not just OLED can be traced back to the streaming and or internet service provider. That's why most of the time if I'm doing meaningful PQ evaluation I use bluray, UHD, or thumb drive videos that were authored properly. My roof mounted antenna feed is actually decent too but even then there is channel to channel variation.

Sucks that the content providers don't "get it" regarding PQ and compression. Gotta keep those pesky shareholders happy I guess, lol.

Panny UBD-420, LG UBK-90
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #1527 of 2520 Old 03-12-2017, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Completely accurate. Many PQ issues for any TV, not just OLED can be traced back to the streaming and or internet service provider. That's why most of the time if I'm doing meaningful PQ evaluation I use bluray, UHD, or thumb drive videos that were authored properly. My roof mounted antenna feed is actually decent too but even then there is channel to channel variation.

Sucks that the content providers don't "get it" regarding PQ and compression. Gotta keep those pesky shareholders happy I guess, lol.
Thanks. Trying to make sure its not the TV...when it happens, It sometimes looks like I have left a plastic protective film on the front glass or something... I did remove the plastic protective film on the back glass...there isn't one on the front over the screen...right? lol thanks
post #1528 of 2520 Old 03-12-2017, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiholl5333 View Post
Thanks. Trying to make sure its not the TV...when it happens, It sometimes looks like I have left a plastic protective film on the front glass or something... I did remove the plastic protective film on the back glass...there isn't one on the front over the screen...right? lol thanks
No - I hope there isnt any plastic on the front!

I would just keep your eye on various content and realize that it will vary quite a bit. When the best feeds look dodgy, THEN there could be a problem. Also, these newer setsreveal more nasties that our old 1080 sets didnt show us.

Panny UBD-420, LG UBK-90
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #1529 of 2520 Old 03-12-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike4OLED View Post
The artifacts you are seeing is from Tru Motion. I brought this up a month ago in a thread. I was watching Deadpool UHD and set TM DJ between 1-4 and DB between 8-10. Early in the beginning, there's a scene with a helicopter and the propellers were "glitching" or whatever you want to call it. I turned off TM and left Real Cinema on....problem solved. I always tell people to try to use RC as much as possible but then sometimes you're left with motion blur which also annoys people and makes them mess with TM again. You can't win basically lol Just have to let your eyes adjust as to what's acceptable to you....that's what I've learned with my OLED.
This! Opted out of PC mode, turned off TM and, regardless of 720p or 1080i output, the artifacts completely disappeared. For my issue, TM is the problem, regardless of whether or not I am in PC mode.

So is there improved motion while in PC mode? I have read people reporting on it.
post #1530 of 2520 Old 03-12-2017, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

What settings would you suggest me to use or what should I change on my E6 in order to get the best picture from Netflix and Amazon Prime as far as Dolby Vision and HDR are concerned?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
55/65E6

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page