LG OLED 55/65E6 info, issues, and settings - Page 70 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 564Likes

post #2071 of 2529 Old 06-16-2017, 01:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilotofhope View Post
So then the reports that we have read are, for the most part, or entirely, placebo? which could be the case (not knowing how we actually test veracity).
Could be both, I really don't know but think about it, why wouldn't LG distribute these motion fixes to all it's markets when on almost every review, they get beat up relentlessly on this issue? I can tell you 100% that LG is very good about releasing bug fixes enhancements relatively quickly to all of it's markets so it's remote that only the Korean version has this magic fix.
The TV has been out over year and we're still waiting. Also the new 7 Series has same issues as widely reported
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 2529 Old 06-16-2017, 02:49 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Welcome to the world of compression artifacts. You could lower brightness to 49, but there really isn't much you can do. What is your internet speed?
my broadband is meh!! only 10gb but thats still enough for 1080p streaming.

To be fair, some UHD streaming looks very good and I know we should really be using at least 20-25gb for that.

I get the fealing its more that that the show has been heavily compressed rather that the speed. I guess no amount of tuning will ever get rid of it?

Cheers
Bill
post #2073 of 2529 Old 06-16-2017, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Will you guys recommend e6 or b6 for the ps4 pro ? What i care most is about the hdr quality and gaming and the ping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2074 of 2529 Old 06-16-2017, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 5573 Post(s)
Liked: 3968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyljunki View Post
my broadband is meh!! only 10gb but thats still enough for 1080p streaming.

To be fair, some UHD streaming looks very good and I know we should really be using at least 20-25gb for that.

I get the fealing its more that that the show has been heavily compressed rather that the speed. I guess no amount of tuning will ever get rid of it?

Cheers
Bill
10 Mbps is good if for 1080p streaming if its consistent as Netflix only requires 5Mbps. However, thats highly compressed compared to a regular 1080p blu ray that is 20 to 30 Mbps. IMO, Netflix UHD streaming looks like regular blu ray in terms of clarity. However, that requires an internet connection of at least 25 Mbps.
post #2075 of 2529 Old 06-16-2017, 04:53 PM

Liked: 10
Peculiar problem

I have the OLED 65 E6P - HDMI 1 - connected to Spectrum cable box - HDMI 2 - connected to - Roku
When I have the TV on (connected to HDMI 1) sometimes a popup appears on bottom middle of screen "HDMI 2" - stays for 3-4 seconds and then disappears
(this has happened quite a few times) - any reasons what is going on and why?
any help is greatly appreciated
post #2076 of 2529 Old 06-16-2017, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus1971 View Post
I have the OLED 65 E6P - HDMI 1 - connected to Spectrum cable box - HDMI 2 - connected to - Roku
When I have the TV on (connected to HDMI 1) sometimes a popup appears on bottom middle of screen "HDMI 2" - stays for 3-4 seconds and then disappears
(this has happened quite a few times) - any reasons what is going on and why?
any help is greatly appreciated
The Roku could be waking from standby at times or reestablishing the HDMI handshake which will cause that banner to popup. There may be a setting in the ROKU that prevents it from going to sleep, or vice versa.
post #2077 of 2529 Old 06-17-2017, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 2
LG E6 Component In color distorted

I got the LG E6P for a couple of months now. Really like the TV (esp. the 3D). Today, I decided to plug in my PS3 and use the component-in input. When I plug the cables in, it doesn't feel right. The plug feels cheap and create some kind of grinding feel while going into the back of the TV -- not the solid feeling like a 3.5mm audio jack.

Anyway, after it's all in, my pictures have funny colors and signal noisy. If I wiggle the plug it will sometimes lose the signal or the colors would shift. Anyone have this problem? I'm not sure if I should try to get LG to repair this ...

I attached this image of using the PS3 to browse this forum. There are incorrect colors and the edges have color smears.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	275.7 KB
ID:	2193209  
post #2078 of 2529 Old 06-17-2017, 10:30 PM

I'm not sure how to edit my post, but I just want to add that the output from the PS3 is fine when I plug it into another TV.
post #2079 of 2529 Old 06-18-2017, 12:09 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 4
i updated the korean version firmware 04.90.10 released on Jun 3rd on my US model E6P. works fine no issues . i previously had updated to the 4.31 version without issues too.
post #2080 of 2529 Old 06-18-2017, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Dimming issue?

Looking for input. Noticed something strange while watching Unforgiven in 4K last evening: When I proceeded to resume playing, the picture remained dim, as though it were not being used, and then, inexplicably, brightened up while I was watching the disc. At one point, I thought that things looked unusually dark. Later on, I had to pause it and then, before the screensaver could kick in, I unpaused it, only to have the dim picture for a time before it, again, brightened up.

Sometimes I will see this dimming, for example, on my Roku or Satellite feeds when they're paused and screensavers aren't activated; but as soon as I unpause the screen brightens and returns to normal. I haven't noticed any problems here and this leads me to believe that it's a TV setting and not the Samsung UHD player.

I did a cold reboot (thinking that this is the correct term: unplugged, held power button for 20+ seconds) and, so far, haven't noticed it again. Is there a setting in the TV itself to turn this feature off? This was a really weird occurrence.

LG OLED 65E6P (previously SONY XBR-52HX929) on fw 05.30.25, SAMSUNG UHD K-8500, watching overly-compressed 1080i BELL TV (CANADA) on 9400 HD PVR
post #2081 of 2529 Old 06-18-2017, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Anyone have a link to the latest Korean firmware for E6?
post #2082 of 2529 Old 06-18-2017, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 450
You're free to believe me or not. There is this show I watch called “Paranormal Witness", and I watch it quite often. It has a lot of dark shadowy areas quite frequently in the episodes. I had been using U.S. firmware version 4.30.95 on my LG 55E6 and I would notice quite a bit of noise in the near black shadowy areas. I could see it often. After updating to U.S. firmware version 4.31.00 I have watched several more episodes of ”Paranormal Witness" and I have been specifically looking for noise in the dark shadowy areas during dark scenes. I hardly see any noise at all now and I really look hard for it.

I remember people saying after they upgraded to the Korean firmware version of 4.31.00 that they noticed there wasn't as much noise. Obviously what they said was not a placebo effect or imagination. Because the picture is cleaned up more in dark scenes then before. It is clearly obvious. I know what the change log says and it only mentions one thing (1. Improved no power on using RS-232C.) but there has to be something more to it they did not list. Because there is a better picture quality in dark scenes than before. That is just my observations and I specifically look for a noise deliberately to see if there was a difference and I do see a difference.
mttpalmer likes this.

Sony XBR-55A9F OLED
Samsung SMT-H3272 HDC DVR Cable Box / Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BD Player
Roku Premium+ 4k / AppleTV 4K 4th Gen
Denon AVR-X4500H AV Receiver / Klipsch 5.1.2 Speakers
post #2083 of 2529 Old 06-18-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilotofhope View Post
Looking for input. Noticed something strange while watching Unforgiven in 4K last evening: When I proceeded to resume playing, the picture remained dim, as though it were not being used, and then, inexplicably, brightened up while I was watching the disc. At one point, I thought that things looked unusually dark. Later on, I had to pause it and then, before the screensaver could kick in, I unpaused it, only to have the dim picture for a time before it, again, brightened up.
When the picture doesn't change for a while after you pause the movie, the TV will dim the screen. The TV will remain dim until it detects significant change in the picture. When you resume the movie, if the picture still doesn't significantly change much because the scene stays about the same, the TV will remain dim -- I'm not sure what the threshold is. If the scene changes a lot and the TV remain dim, there is a problem.
post #2084 of 2529 Old 06-18-2017, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosurprises View Post
When the picture doesn't change for a while after you pause the movie, the TV will dim the screen. The TV will remain dim until it detects significant change in the picture. When you resume the movie, if the picture still doesn't significantly change much because the scene stays about the same, the TV will remain dim -- I'm not sure what the threshold is. If the scene changes a lot and the TV remain dim, there is a problem.
It's ABSL. After 105 seconds the tv will begin to dim if it senses a static image on the screen. It prevents BI. You can turn that off in the service menu if you have a service remote or the service remote app if you have an android device with an IR blaster. You dont need to turn tv off to get the screen to brighten. Quickest way is to change inputs and then back to the input you were using.
post #2085 of 2529 Old 06-18-2017, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabois09 View Post
Anyone have a link to the latest Korean firmware for E6?
https://www.lgservice.co.kr/search/driverSoftTotalSearchPage.do?oldKeyWord=&type=3&me nuId=&searchKeyWord=OLED65E6K&oneCateCode=&twoCate Code=¤tPageNo=
Dabois09 likes this.
post #2086 of 2529 Old 06-18-2017, 10:05 PM
Advanced Member

post #2087 of 2529 Old 06-20-2017, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Any change log on the new Korean firmware?

Any chance we'll get an official update? There's a few annoying bugs in the software. I kind of figured they would give up after releasing 2017 models.
post #2088 of 2529 Old 06-21-2017, 02:18 AM
Advanced Member

Yes there's a change log - huge difference in HDR game mode for me after installing
post #2089 of 2529 Old 06-21-2017, 03:32 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Yes there's a change log - huge difference in HDR game mode for me after installing
In what way? Picture quality or input lag?
post #2090 of 2529 Old 06-21-2017, 05:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHorse View Post
Quality - actually displays in HDR now
post #2091 of 2529 Old 06-21-2017, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHorse View Post
Quality - actually displays in HDR now

Are there still motion issues with latest Korean firmware? As in reduced artifacts when using De judder?
post #2092 of 2529 Old 06-21-2017, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Improved Motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
Could be both, I really don't know but think about it, why wouldn't LG distribute these motion fixes to all it's markets when on almost every review, they get beat up relentlessly on this issue? I can tell you 100% that LG is very good about releasing bug fixes enhancements relatively quickly to all of it's markets so it's remote that only the Korean version has this magic fix.

I've noticed improved motion with the latest Korean firmware 4.90.10. I'm letting the OPPO 203 do the upgrading to 4k from the Cable box. There is no longer any noticeable judder around people's heads and camera pans are much improved. This is the first time I've seen this improvement. I'm using PC mode with TM always off, RC is greyed out. It's very similar to the motion on my old Panasonic plasma.
post #2093 of 2529 Old 06-21-2017, 07:10 PM

post #2094 of 2529 Old 06-21-2017, 08:58 PM

Hello guys . I bought the e6 yesterday. Want to know how if it's has a problem or factory problem or issue. Is there away to run something or system check in this tv ?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
post #2095 of 2529 Old 06-22-2017, 03:31 AM

PS3 glitches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosurprises View Post
I got the LG E6P for a couple of months now. Really like the TV (esp. the 3D). Today, I decided to plug in my PS3 and use the component-in input. When I plug the cables in, it doesn't feel right. The plug feels cheap and create some kind of grinding feel while going into the back of the TV -- not the solid feeling like a 3.5mm audio jack.

Anyway, after it's all in, my pictures have funny colors and signal noisy. If I wiggle the plug it will sometimes lose the signal or the colors would shift. Anyone have this problem? I'm not sure if I should try to get LG to repair this ...

I attached this image of using the PS3 to browse this forum. There are incorrect colors and the edges have color smears.
I have a PS3 hooked up to my LG OLED55E6P with no difficulties. Having said that, this is how my PS3 is set up:
1. Fiberoptic cable from A/V receiver to back of LG
2. "HDMI TV OUT" from A/V receiver to HDMI 1 on LG
3. "HDMI OUT" cable from PS3 to "HDMI BD IN" on A/V

Also, there are video and audio settings on the PS3 itself which might need re-setting, e.g., video should ideally be set at bitstream.

You also haven't said how you used the Device Controller on LG's set-up screen to connect the PS3 with the LG. Alas, I can't advise you on this as I'm having problems with this myself...Nothing with the PS3 but an inability to get sound from my Sony Home Theatre. And for what it's worth, LG advised me to use the "game console" icon with the PS3 rather than the Blu-Ray player icon.

Finally, I'm having a hard time understanding what you mean by these: "Today, I decided to plug in my PS3 and use the component-in input. When I plug the cables in, it doesn't feel right... If I wiggle the plug it will sometimes lose the signal..." Which "component-in" did you plug the PS3 into and with which "cables"? And which "plug" are you referring to that loses the signal when you wiggle it? And given that you have watched 3D before this problem arose, and really liked it, I'm assuming you did not use your PS3 to watch 3D discs?

Given that your PS3 works with other TVs, my guess (and it is only that) is that one of the above may be the cause of your problem. I don't know what LG support is like wherever you are located, but I would try working with them over the phone to ensure your PS3 is properly set up before "get[ing] LG to repair this..." Best of luck!
post #2096 of 2529 Old 06-22-2017, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Beast
Question for both the above & anyone else...Am new to the forum but have skimmed enuf to gather that there are varying views as to whether one should download updates from one's native country or Korea, presumably because that's where LG is established. Is there an easy answer to this question (bearing in mind that I don't have A LOT of home theatre experience)? Secondly, is there any way I can find out what version I currently have on my TV right now? It was set up about a month ago so it may (or may not) be updated already. Thirdly, I gather the preferred way to install an update is to download it from the computer to a USB spark drive, and then transfer same to the LG TV? Lastly, in the Table of Contents to this section, it's noted that LG doesn't really inform users what each of their updates is supposed to accomplish. Is this still the case? Many thanks.
post #2097 of 2529 Old 06-22-2017, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor3397 View Post
Question for both the above & anyone else...Am new to the forum but have skimmed enuf to gather that there are varying views as to whether one should download updates from one's native country or Korea, presumably because that's where LG is established. Is there an easy answer to this question (bearing in mind that I don't have A LOT of home theatre experience)? Secondly, is there any way I can find out what version I currently have on my TV right now? It was set up about a month ago so it may (or may not) be updated already. Thirdly, I gather the preferred way to install an update is to download it from the computer to a USB spark drive, and then transfer same to the LG TV? Lastly, in the Table of Contents to this section, it's noted that LG doesn't really inform users what each of their updates is supposed to accomplish. Is this still the case? Many thanks.
Use USB stick and download from North America. Current NA firmware has various improvement to motion handling, brightness levels, some near black compression artifacts etc. The latest Korean did not change as much and some things with motion are questionable. Your current firmware version should be in Settings > General > About this TV
taylor3397 likes this.
post #2098 of 2529 Old 06-22-2017, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBuff View Post
Use USB stick and download from North America. Current NA firmware has various improvement to motion handling, brightness levels, some near black compression artifacts etc. The latest Korean did not change as much and some things with motion are questionable. Your current firmware version should be in Settings > General > About this TV
I'm pretty certain that all the sets have the same firmware that ultimately is released in different regions.
post #2099 of 2529 Old 06-22-2017, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
I'm pretty certain that all the sets have the same firmware that ultimately is released in different regions.
Korean release is one step ahead 04.90.10 of North America (same firmware)
https://www.lgservice.co.kr/search/d...currentPageNo=

Current North America 04.31.00
http://www.lg.com/us/support-product...D65E6P#manuals

Australia has another release and so is Europe.
post #2100 of 2529 Old 06-22-2017, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Did any one install Korean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
55/65E6