LG 65EF9500 vs. Vizio P65-C1 (FALD) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By drewTT
  • 2 Post By paranoyd androyd
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 06-01-2016, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
bigyeah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 237
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 37
LG 65EF9500 vs. Vizio P65-C1 (FALD)

I am torn between the LG 65" EF9500 and the 65" Vizio P-C1, which is a FALD display. The Vizio is $1,000 less than the EF9500. I am wondering how much better, if at all, the EF9500 is for the following sources:

1. Streaming Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and HBOGO
2. MacBook Air DVI output to TV to play content from HDD
3. No cable TV
4. No Video Games
5. No sports

Before I found a great deal on the EF9500 I was considering the following displays: Sony x930D, Samsung KS800, Vizio P-C1.

Interestingly enough, the Sony x930D and the EF9500 can be purchased for the same price, but are any of these TVs as good as the EF9500?


I look forward to your responses, thanks!


EDIT: I just went to Best Buy Magnolia Home Design and saw a Sony X950B, and wow, it looked great! It looked better than the EF9500 also displayed in the store. Is this possible or am I crazy? I tested both playing Avengers on Blueray.

Last edited by bigyeah; 06-02-2016 at 06:33 PM.
bigyeah is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 Old 06-01-2016, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
drewTT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 4,553
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2036 Post(s)
Liked: 2178
I own a P50-C1. Very good set for the money but it ain't no OLED. My E6 in the living room has much better viewing angle, deeper blacks that stay black with bright content, and the colors look better. The overall picture on the OLED just pops, whereas the P50 is a little flat.
Heavie and losservatore like this.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL T/9i | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i | Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | roon
drewTT is offline  
post #3 of 22 Old 06-02-2016, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
bigyeah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 237
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
I own a P50-C1. Very good set for the money but it ain't no OLED. My E6 in the living room has much better viewing angle, deeper blacks that stay black with bright content, and the colors look better. The overall picture on the OLED just pops, whereas the P50 is a little flat.
When you say E6, I assume you mean the latest 2016 E6 OLED and not the EF9500?
bigyeah is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 22 Old 06-03-2016, 12:46 AM
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: S.F.
Posts: 1,069
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 476
either buy a 2016 OLED or the Sony 950B, preferably an OLED but the 950B is still a terrific set. under no circumstance, however, should you buy the Vizio over those options.. don't do that to yourself.

as for the 2015 EF9500, read the owner's thread carefully and understand its potential issues. then spend enough time with both the EF9500 and 2016 OLED lineup in person before deciding between those 3 different sets.
Heavie and FalconRGB like this.
paranoyd androyd is offline  
post #5 of 22 Old 06-03-2016, 01:55 AM
Advanced Member
 
ttnuagmada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 624
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoyd androyd View Post
either buy a 2016 OLED or the Sony 950B, preferably an OLED but the 950B is still a terrific set. under no circumstance, however, should you buy the Vizio over those options.. don't do that to yourself.

as for the 2015 EF9500, read the owner's thread carefully and understand its potential issues. then spend enough time with both the EF9500 and 2016 OLED lineup in person before deciding between those 3 different sets.
I don't know about the 950B, but pretty much everyone says the Vizio is better than both the KS8000 and 930D in a dark room. I think you've been living under a rock.
ttnuagmada is online now  
post #6 of 22 Old 06-03-2016, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
bigyeah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 237
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Thanks for the replies! Keep them coming!


As far as HDMI cables that support 4k content for a streaming service, such as Netflix 4k, will cheap Monoprice HDMI cables suffice, or am I looking for a specific standard? Thanks!
bigyeah is offline  
post #7 of 22 Old 06-03-2016, 04:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BigCoolJesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,011
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2108 Post(s)
Liked: 1710
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigyeah View Post
Thanks for the replies! Keep them coming!


As far as HDMI cables that support 4k content for a streaming service, such as Netflix 4k, will cheap Monoprice HDMI cables suffice, or am I looking for a specific standard? Thanks!
AFAIK, all "4k" compatible HDMI cables are any cable listed as High Speed (which I am pretty sure is almost any new cable made today). In fact, all of Monoprice's HDMI cables are listed as High Speed.

The only distinction I have found is if the cable is rated for 10Gbps (4k @ 30hz) or 18Gbps (4k @ 60hz). Whether in reality an HDMI cable rated for only 10Gbps can or can't carry 4k @ 60hz I do not know.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
BigCoolJesus is offline  
post #8 of 22 Old 06-06-2016, 02:01 PM
Senior Member
 
balboarules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Milford MA
Posts: 427
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I am having the EXACT same debate, my hold up is 2 fold, I can get the ef9500 for about 800 more than the Vizio, I know OLED is going to be better blacks, which is great, however the Vizio says it does Dolby Vision and HDR10, I believe the OLED can do the HDR10, but not the Dolby Vision, I THINK this gives the Vizio an advantage over the OLED, and is less money, but I will monitor this thread, as I am going through the EXACT same debate, and I never factored this Sony model into the mix, I did look at Samsung, but it was edge lit, and I want full array lighting, I have a XBR-65HX929 now that I am trying to sell (with little luck) in mint shape. Was the EF9500 the very first model, and I have read about vinaigrette issues on the OLED, I do not honestly know what that means..
balboarules is offline  
post #9 of 22 Old 06-06-2016, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
ray0414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: michigan
Posts: 16,707
Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12578 Post(s)
Liked: 11750
Quote:
Originally Posted by balboarules View Post
I am having the EXACT same debate, my hold up is 2 fold, I can get the ef9500 for about 800 more than the Vizio, I know OLED is going to be better blacks, which is great, however the Vizio says it does Dolby Vision and HDR10, I believe the OLED can do the HDR10, but not the Dolby Vision, I THINK this gives the Vizio an advantage over the OLED, and is less money, but I will monitor this thread, as I am going through the EXACT same debate, and I never factored this Sony model into the mix, I did look at Samsung, but it was edge lit, and I want full array lighting, I have a XBR-65HX929 now that I am trying to sell (with little luck) in mint shape. Was the EF9500 the very first model, and I have read about vinaigrette issues on the OLED, I do not honestly know what that means..


Having seen both I don't think it's close. The oled makes everything look hdr by being more vibrant and having perfect blacks. I would just be cautious as those 2015 oleds can have pretty bad banding and vignetting. Vignetting is black flame looking things coming from the sides of the tv in dark situations. This issue has mostly been corrected on 2016 models. Dolby Vision on the vizio is moot because hdr10 on the oled will still look better because of its nature.
ray0414 is online now  
post #10 of 22 Old 06-06-2016, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
Carter D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MA
Posts: 776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by balboarules View Post
I am having the EXACT same debate, my hold up is 2 fold, I can get the ef9500 for about 800 more than the Vizio, I know OLED is going to be better blacks, which is great, however the Vizio says it does Dolby Vision and HDR10, I believe the OLED can do the HDR10, but not the Dolby Vision, I THINK this gives the Vizio an advantage over the OLED, and is less money, but I will monitor this thread, as I am going through the EXACT same debate, and I never factored this Sony model into the mix, I did look at Samsung, but it was edge lit, and I want full array lighting, I have a XBR-65HX929 now that I am trying to sell (with little luck) in mint shape. Was the EF9500 the very first model, and I have read about vinaigrette issues on the OLED, I do not honestly know what that means..
Love the vinaigrette issues Balboa. I don't have any vignette issues on my EF 9500. Is your spell check working. On my iPad spell check is horrible. If I left everything that it suggests the message would be unintelligible

LG 65 EF 9500,Yamaha 3050,Oppo 203
Directv C61 4K box, Apple TV, SONOS Connect
Triad Bronze Center, Triad Bronze LR-H Atmos, Elan inwall surrounds, Velodyne Subs,
Savant Remote, Harmony Ultimate Home remote
"It ain't 4K if it ain't shot in 4K"
Carter D is offline  
post #11 of 22 Old 08-04-2016, 08:33 PM
Senior Member
 
ja00's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 474
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Been two months but thought I'd post anyways. Not exactly the same TV, but the 65EG9600 is on sale now for $2300 at Frys with promo code. For that price I think it's a no brainer. Somebody posted on SD that the promo code works on the 65EF9500 as well but I cannot confirm that because I cannot find it in stock within 50 miles.
ja00 is offline  
post #12 of 22 Old 08-07-2016, 04:37 PM
Senior Member
 
ja00's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 474
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Well this sucks. I opened the TV today after buying the wall mount yesterday and saw the screen is cracked!

I brought it back to Fry's and they would not take it back, instead the filed a concealed damage clam with LG. So I'm now stuck with a gorgeous new TV the is damaged.

I really hope LG comes through for me. I have been waiting to buy an OLED for the longest time, all TV's I currently own are plasmas. Talk about a let down!
ja00 is offline  
post #13 of 22 Old 08-07-2016, 06:16 PM
Newbie
 
Beaugolfs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja00 View Post
Well this sucks. I opened the TV today after buying the wall mount yesterday and saw the screen is cracked!

I brought it back to Fry's and they would not take it back, instead the filed a concealed damage clam with LG. So I'm now stuck with a gorgeous new TV the is damaged.

I really hope LG comes through for me. I have been waiting to buy an OLED for the longest time, all TV's I currently own are plasmas. Talk about a let down!
Sorry to hear that! I picked one NIB (65EF9500) up at Fry's in N. Texas on Friday. They would not let me leave the store, without opening the box, plugging it in and checking the screen for damage.
Beaugolfs is offline  
post #14 of 22 Old 08-07-2016, 07:17 PM
Senior Member
 
ja00's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 474
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaugolfs View Post
Sorry to hear that! I picked one NIB (65EF9500) up at Fry's in N. Texas on Friday. They would not let me leave the store, without opening the box, plugging it in and checking the screen for damage.
I wish they did that before I left the store. When they said they would not take it back because they could not verify that it left the store damaged I asked why they don't just open the box and show the customer the TV is not damaged. The sales associate said they only did that for TVs 75" and higher. Doesn't make sense to me.
ja00 is offline  
post #15 of 22 Old 08-08-2016, 07:15 AM
Newbie
 
Beaugolfs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja00 View Post
I wish they did that before I left the store. When they said they would not take it back because they could not verify that it left the store damaged I asked why they don't just open the box and show the customer the TV is not damaged. The sales associate said they only did that for TVs 75" and higher. Doesn't make sense to me.
At first I thought it was strange that they needed to do that, but your story made me glad they did. My sales guy said it was on all TVs over a specific dollar amount and/or size. I don't remember he specifics though. I watched them open the sealed box, carefully plug it in, and check the screen for cracks and damage. I completely understand why they do that. This TV is so thin and hard to pick up. I was very nervous I boxing and setting it up when I got home. Hope you are able to get your situation cleared up with LG. If you paid with a credit card, check to see if they cover it, some do I hear.
Beaugolfs is offline  
post #16 of 22 Old 08-08-2016, 08:10 AM
Senior Member
 
ja00's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 474
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaugolfs View Post
At first I thought it was strange that they needed to do that, but your story made me glad they did. My sales guy said it was on all TVs over a specific dollar amount and/or size. I don't remember he specifics though. I watched them open the sealed box, carefully plug it in, and check the screen for cracks and damage. I completely understand why they do that. This TV is so thin and hard to pick up. I was very nervous I boxing and setting it up when I got home. Hope you are able to get your situation cleared up with LG. If you paid with a credit card, check to see if they cover it, some do I hear.
The credit card (Visa) I used does offer damage protection but only up to $500 per purchase.

The packaging on this TV, at least the curve version is actually better than the previous TV's I owned. When the Fry's employees took the TV out of the box to take pictures, the crack was a lot bigger than I had thought. It started from the bottom, about a third of the way from the right side, and spread out going up the screen. Neither the box nor the internal packaging showed any sign of damage or impact.
ja00 is offline  
post #17 of 22 Old 08-08-2016, 08:11 AM
Senior Member
 
ja00's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 474
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 149
@Beaugolfs . BTW how do you like the TV so far and what are you upgrading from?
ja00 is offline  
post #18 of 22 Old 08-08-2016, 09:47 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja00 View Post
Well this sucks. I opened the TV today after buying the wall mount yesterday and saw the screen is cracked!

I brought it back to Fry's and they would not take it back, instead the filed a concealed damage clam with LG. So I'm now stuck with a gorgeous new TV the is damaged.

I really hope LG comes through for me. I have been waiting to buy an OLED for the longest time, all TV's I currently own are plasmas. Talk about a let down!
If one orders an E6 from any of the online sellers such as Cleveland Plasma or iElectrica etc which I intend to do, is there any way to avoid this scenario?
Is there any steps or procedures one should follow?
comandoed is offline  
post #19 of 22 Old 08-09-2016, 08:06 AM
Senior Member
 
ja00's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 474
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by comandoed View Post
If one orders an E6 from any of the online sellers such as Cleveland Plasma or iElectrica etc which I intend to do, is there any way to avoid this scenario?
Is there any steps or procedures one should follow?
I haven't done it myself, but I think what other people do is choose a delivery option that allows you (or the delivery person) to open the box, check for damage and plug it in to check functionality before accepting delivery.

You might have better luck getting more answers if you posted on or started a different thread though. I actually derailed this thread already by posting my cracked screen problem.
ja00 is offline  
post #20 of 22 Old 08-09-2016, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thebishman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by comandoed View Post
If one orders an E6 from any of the online sellers such as Cleveland Plasma or iElectrica etc which I intend to do, is there any way to avoid this scenario?
Is there any steps or procedures one should follow?
I believe that CP wants you to document the condition of the box on delivery and then fire up the TV within 24 hours. If DOA or internal damage I'm sure you'd be taken care of.
thebishman is offline  
post #21 of 22 Old 08-11-2016, 05:59 AM
Newbie
 
Beaugolfs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja00 View Post
@Beaugolfs . BTW how do you like the TV so far and what are you upgrading from?
I just upgraded from the Samsung UN55C8000. So far I am blown away by the 65EF9500! I was close to pulling the trigger on the Samsung KS8000, but saw the daily promo code on this one and couldn't pass it up!

The YouTube streaming 4K content looks incredible, Amazon HDR looks great too. The only challenge is the inconsistenticy in the HD content provided by DirectTV. I don't have the Genie for the 4K content and after watching the 4K content on YouTube and Amazon's HDR, the normal HD stuff looks soft. I am sure others can relate. I have tried watching Bluray yet.
Beaugolfs is offline  
post #22 of 22 Old 08-12-2016, 05:14 PM
Senior Member
 
ja00's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 474
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Reading your first impressions just get me more excited with this TV, and more irate with Fry's.

I called them today and the rep said it's going to take a few weeks. When I was at the store, I was told it would not take long at all. Now I wonder it their definition of long is a few months, or years. I should have just bought the TV somewhere else, even if I end up paying more. Such a hassle.
ja00 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off