LG OLED55C6P Speaker Issues After Firmware Update - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By gtaylor0
  • 1 Post By Kerwin515

post #1 of 8 Old 09-09-2016, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
LG OLED55C6P Speaker Issues After Firmware Update

I recently installed the new firmware update for my 55 C6 and after restarting the TV I noticed the sound quality had decreased significantly. It sounded very muffled and almost like the speakers were under water. After trying the different sound settings I managed to get it to sound clear again but instead certain sounds would be very tinny and almost static like sounding. Before the update I had never messed with the sound settings and it sounded quite good overall. I'm not a huge sound guy so I don't demand the greatest sound out of my devices but this is too far. Has anyone come across this? Or is it my speakers that are messed up? I appreciate the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-09-2016, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

Did more testing with the other sound modes and it turns out the standard, music, and clear voice III modes make the TV switch to mono. This is why the sounds get so muffled in these modes. Luckily it seems to be a firmware issue and not my TV speakers since the other modes are in stereo.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-10-2016, 03:35 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameLifter View Post
Did more testing with the other sound modes and it turns out the standard, music, and clear voice III modes make the TV switch to mono. This is why the sounds get so muffled in these modes. Luckily it seems to be a firmware issue and not my TV speakers since the other modes are in stereo.
Music switches to mono? That don't make sense. Anyway, I have an E and it's stereo across the board, even Clear Voice.
GameLifter likes this.

Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 09-10-2016, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaylor0 View Post
Music switches to mono? That don't make sense. Anyway, I have an E and it's stereo across the board, even Clear Voice.
Yeah, it's really weird that a modern TV would switch to mono at all. The only place where I saw an option for mono was on the Live TV input. It had an icon for Multi Audio in the upper right corner and when I clicked it it had an option for mono that couldn't be unchecked. I called the LG support number and let them know about it and they said they would have someone else call me later today to help.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-21-2016, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
I recently installed the new firmware update for my 55 C6 and after restarting the TV I noticed the sound quality had decreased significantly. It sounded very muffled and almost like the speakers were under water. After trying the different sound settings I managed to get it to sound clear again but instead certain sounds would be very tinny and almost static like sounding. Before the update I had never messed with the sound settings and it sounded quite good overall. I'm not a huge sound guy so I don't demand the greatest sound out of my devices but this is too far. Has anyone come across this? Or is it my speakers that are messed up? I appreciate the help!
Well I'm glad I found this thread. I thought I was going crazy! I have a 65B6 and experienced the same thing after the firmware update. I found a solution to restore the audio quality -- at least, to what I remember it being:
1. Set sound mode to Cinema
2. Smart Sound: On.

Won't work the other way around. The seems to restore the fidelity for me. If Smart Sound stays off, Cinema mode seems to make loud sounds even louder, even with volume set to 15 (at least to my ears).

Took my quite a while to figure this out. My wife was so sick of listening to the first Chapter of Star Trek: Into Darkness.
GameLifter likes this.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-25-2016, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerwin515 View Post
Well I'm glad I found this thread. I thought I was going crazy! I have a 65B6 and experienced the same thing after the firmware update. I found a solution to restore the audio quality -- at least, to what I remember it being:
1. Set sound mode to Cinema
2. Smart Sound: On.

Won't work the other way around. The seems to restore the fidelity for me. If Smart Sound stays off, Cinema mode seems to make loud sounds even louder, even with volume set to 15 (at least to my ears).

Took my quite a while to figure this out. My wife was so sick of listening to the first Chapter of Star Trek: Into Darkness.
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll give this a try next time I use my TV. I've been using Cinema mode after the firmware update but without Smart Sound. I tried Smart Sound with the Standard mode and it restored stereo but didn't sound like I remembered it originally. Luckily I know I'm not the only one with this issue and that it's not an issue with the physical speakers.

EDIT: Tried out Smart Sound with Cinema mode and it sounds very good! This is the best it has sounded since the firmware update.

Last edited by GameLifter; 09-26-2016 at 06:24 PM.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-30-2016, 06:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll give this a try next time I use my TV. I've been using Cinema mode after the firmware update but without Smart Sound. I tried Smart Sound with the Standard mode and it restored stereo but didn't sound like I remembered it originally. Luckily I know I'm not the only one with this issue and that it's not an issue with the physical speakers.

EDIT: Tried out Smart Sound with Cinema mode and it sounds very good! This is the best it has sounded since the firmware update.
Doesn't smart sound just pick the mode based on content? Hence mode is disabled once selected. I feel I am experiencing something similar. I had some success changing the sound settings on my device (Motorola DVR) instead. Changed to LPCM, which sounds more "normal" to me when using the TV speakers on my E6 (Smart Sound Off and mode = Standard).
post #8 of 8 Old 09-30-2016, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcwdev View Post
Doesn't smart sound just pick the mode based on content? Hence mode is disabled once selected. I feel I am experiencing something similar. I had some success changing the sound settings on my device (Motorola DVR) instead. Changed to LPCM, which sounds more "normal" to me when using the TV speakers on my E6 (Smart Sound Off and mode = Standard).
I'll have to try that when I get home. When I originally got the TV and hooked it up to my TiVo (pre firmware update) it sounded fine but wouldn't play the TiVo sounds -- had to switch it from outputting Dolby Digital to PCM. Perhaps setting it back to Dolby Digital will fix the mono problem.

That being said, I never bothered to test if the problem existed on other devices. Will have to play around some more.

LG OLED65B6P | LG SJ9 | Philips BDP 7501 | PS4 (Original) | Audeze LCD-XC | Apogee Groove | Plex | Roon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
firmware , oled , sound , speaker

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page