LG OLED55C6P Speaker Issues After Firmware Update - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By gtaylor0
  • 1 Post By Kerwin515
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 09-09-2016, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
LG OLED55C6P Speaker Issues After Firmware Update

I recently installed the new firmware update for my 55 C6 and after restarting the TV I noticed the sound quality had decreased significantly. It sounded very muffled and almost like the speakers were under water. After trying the different sound settings I managed to get it to sound clear again but instead certain sounds would be very tinny and almost static like sounding. Before the update I had never messed with the sound settings and it sounded quite good overall. I'm not a huge sound guy so I don't demand the greatest sound out of my devices but this is too far. Has anyone come across this? Or is it my speakers that are messed up? I appreciate the help!
GameLifter is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 09-09-2016, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Did more testing with the other sound modes and it turns out the standard, music, and clear voice III modes make the TV switch to mono. This is why the sounds get so muffled in these modes. Luckily it seems to be a firmware issue and not my TV speakers since the other modes are in stereo.
GameLifter is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 09-10-2016, 03:35 AM
Senior Member
 
gtaylor0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameLifter View Post
Did more testing with the other sound modes and it turns out the standard, music, and clear voice III modes make the TV switch to mono. This is why the sounds get so muffled in these modes. Luckily it seems to be a firmware issue and not my TV speakers since the other modes are in stereo.
Music switches to mono? That don't make sense. Anyway, I have an E and it's stereo across the board, even Clear Voice.
GameLifter likes this.

Greg
gtaylor0 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 Old 09-10-2016, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaylor0 View Post
Music switches to mono? That don't make sense. Anyway, I have an E and it's stereo across the board, even Clear Voice.
Yeah, it's really weird that a modern TV would switch to mono at all. The only place where I saw an option for mono was on the Live TV input. It had an icon for Multi Audio in the upper right corner and when I clicked it it had an option for mono that couldn't be unchecked. I called the LG support number and let them know about it and they said they would have someone else call me later today to help.
GameLifter is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 09-21-2016, 05:33 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: New York City
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameLifter View Post
I recently installed the new firmware update for my 55 C6 and after restarting the TV I noticed the sound quality had decreased significantly. It sounded very muffled and almost like the speakers were under water. After trying the different sound settings I managed to get it to sound clear again but instead certain sounds would be very tinny and almost static like sounding. Before the update I had never messed with the sound settings and it sounded quite good overall. I'm not a huge sound guy so I don't demand the greatest sound out of my devices but this is too far. Has anyone come across this? Or is it my speakers that are messed up? I appreciate the help!
Well I'm glad I found this thread. I thought I was going crazy! I have a 65B6 and experienced the same thing after the firmware update. I found a solution to restore the audio quality -- at least, to what I remember it being:
1. Set sound mode to Cinema
2. Smart Sound: On.

Won't work the other way around. The seems to restore the fidelity for me. If Smart Sound stays off, Cinema mode seems to make loud sounds even louder, even with volume set to 15 (at least to my ears).

Took my quite a while to figure this out. My wife was so sick of listening to the first Chapter of Star Trek: Into Darkness.
GameLifter likes this.
Kerwin515 is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 09-25-2016, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerwin515 View Post
Well I'm glad I found this thread. I thought I was going crazy! I have a 65B6 and experienced the same thing after the firmware update. I found a solution to restore the audio quality -- at least, to what I remember it being:
1. Set sound mode to Cinema
2. Smart Sound: On.

Won't work the other way around. The seems to restore the fidelity for me. If Smart Sound stays off, Cinema mode seems to make loud sounds even louder, even with volume set to 15 (at least to my ears).

Took my quite a while to figure this out. My wife was so sick of listening to the first Chapter of Star Trek: Into Darkness.
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll give this a try next time I use my TV. I've been using Cinema mode after the firmware update but without Smart Sound. I tried Smart Sound with the Standard mode and it restored stereo but didn't sound like I remembered it originally. Luckily I know I'm not the only one with this issue and that it's not an issue with the physical speakers.

EDIT: Tried out Smart Sound with Cinema mode and it sounds very good! This is the best it has sounded since the firmware update.

Last edited by GameLifter; 09-26-2016 at 06:24 PM.
GameLifter is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 09-30-2016, 06:32 AM
Senior Member
 
fcwdev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 238
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameLifter View Post
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll give this a try next time I use my TV. I've been using Cinema mode after the firmware update but without Smart Sound. I tried Smart Sound with the Standard mode and it restored stereo but didn't sound like I remembered it originally. Luckily I know I'm not the only one with this issue and that it's not an issue with the physical speakers.

EDIT: Tried out Smart Sound with Cinema mode and it sounds very good! This is the best it has sounded since the firmware update.
Doesn't smart sound just pick the mode based on content? Hence mode is disabled once selected. I feel I am experiencing something similar. I had some success changing the sound settings on my device (Motorola DVR) instead. Changed to LPCM, which sounds more "normal" to me when using the TV speakers on my E6 (Smart Sound Off and mode = Standard).
fcwdev is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 09-30-2016, 08:47 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: New York City
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcwdev View Post
Doesn't smart sound just pick the mode based on content? Hence mode is disabled once selected. I feel I am experiencing something similar. I had some success changing the sound settings on my device (Motorola DVR) instead. Changed to LPCM, which sounds more "normal" to me when using the TV speakers on my E6 (Smart Sound Off and mode = Standard).
I'll have to try that when I get home. When I originally got the TV and hooked it up to my TiVo (pre firmware update) it sounded fine but wouldn't play the TiVo sounds -- had to switch it from outputting Dolby Digital to PCM. Perhaps setting it back to Dolby Digital will fix the mono problem.

That being said, I never bothered to test if the problem existed on other devices. Will have to play around some more.

LG OLED65B6P | LG SJ9 | Philips BDP 7501 | PS4 (Original) | Audeze LCD-XC | Apogee Groove | Plex | Roon
Kerwin515 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
firmware , oled , sound , speaker

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off