Logitech Harmony vs LG Magic Remote? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #1 of 35 Old 09-10-2016, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Logitech Harmony vs LG Magic Remote?

Does anyone with an LG with WebOS prefer to use a Harmony remote instead? I'm considering getting a Harmony Elite but curious if not having the "magic" remote hovering makes the WebOS interface feel clunky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 09-12-2016, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I use an older Harmony One, no problems. It's the only way to go if you have anything else connected to the TV. My OLED setup has a bluray and Roku both run through a AV receiver, so three 'Activities' on the Harmony. I even got a simple Harmony 650 ($42 at Amazon) a couple days ago for the bedroom TV with only a smart bluray connected. To me, once you need a 2nd remote, get a Harmony.
post #3 of 35 Old 09-12-2016, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I have the harmony elite. It works great for accessing Netflix, Vudu, etc. I don't feel like I'm missing out on any functionality using it over the magic remote.

The only time I reach for the magic remote is if I know I'm going to be messing with the TV settings. It's definitely faster using the LG remote for that.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 Old 09-12-2016, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuswsu View Post
The only time I reach for the magic remote is if I know I'm going to be messing with the TV settings. It's definitely faster using the LG remote for that.
Agreed. The LG pointer makes it especially easy for things like entering passwords and such when setting up logins.
See The Light likes this.
post #5 of 35 Old 09-12-2016, 05:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1882 Post(s)
Liked: 1964
I love the convenience of the Harmony Elite as it controls everything in my system and even my thermostat. Pretty cool.

The only thing that slightly annoys me is the extra clicking required to change picture modes on the TV. Would love some kind of a discrete command for that. Don't really miss the LG pointer.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL T/9i | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i | Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | roon
post #6 of 35 Old 09-13-2016, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Can anyone who is using a programmable remote confirm that there are discrete codes for the different inputs? I watch D* through component and then BD and Amazon FireTV through HDMI (which I will likely continue to use since it connects nicely/easily with my receiver).

Thanks.

SMK
post #7 of 35 Old 09-13-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
Can anyone who is using a programmable remote confirm that there are discrete codes for the different inputs?
Yes, for Harmony anyway. The Harmony programming software lets you select specific TV inputs to use for an 'Activity', or for programming a button to go directly to that input.
post #8 of 35 Old 09-13-2016, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I also use the Harmony One remote and couldn't live without it!!! I've been using it for many years and have all the different activities set up. I had a 5.1 surround set up but when I bought the LG E6 I also upgraded my AVR and now have a full 5.1.4 Atmos setup, along with a Sammy UHD player, a cable DVR and a Dell PC (set up with an OTA TV tuner). And the Harmony One controls it all!

Yes, the Magic Remote would probably be better at navigating the TV's settings and for inputting login info, but I still use the Harmony and its not that bad. The Magic Remote is stored near the TV and I haven't needed it in a long time!

And I can concur that if you are using the Harmony online program to set up your remote then their huge database of remote codes includes discrete codes to select each input for LG TVs.

Gerry
post #9 of 35 Old 09-13-2016, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Well, if discrete codes exist for the Harmony, I'm sure I can find them for a JP1 programmable remote.

Thanks.

SMK
post #10 of 35 Old 09-13-2016, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post

The only thing that slightly annoys me is the extra clicking required to change picture modes on the TV. Would love some kind of a discrete command for that. Don't really miss the LG pointer.
Me too.... I don't see anyway that could ever happen which makes me sad.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
post #11 of 35 Old 01-13-2017, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but the only time (generally speaking) I use the Magic Remote is to access the HOME screen - where I can access my media servers and the various apps, etc. I trust that the Harmony remote can handle the "HOME" button function just fine? And if so, is navigation on the HOME screen done by simply using the arrows on the Harmony remote?

Just trying to verify I'll be able to do all of my most common activities on the Magic Remote before pulling the trigger on the Harmony Hub (I have larger aspirations of Smartthings and ultimately Alexa integration).
post #12 of 35 Old 01-13-2017, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindad2k1 View Post
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but the only time (generally speaking) I use the Magic Remote is to access the HOME screen - where I can access my media servers and the various apps, etc. I trust that the Harmony remote can handle the "HOME" button function just fine? And if so, is navigation on the HOME screen done by simply using the arrows on the Harmony remote?

Just trying to verify I'll be able to do all of my most common activities on the Magic Remote before pulling the trigger on the Harmony Hub (I have larger aspirations of Smartthings and ultimately Alexa integration).
Yep. I use Home on my Harmony Elite all the time to get to apps and wot-not, and even managed to construct a totally insane activity to watch apps which can set the LG audio output to optical so I can use my receiver for sound when watching streaming apps. (It looks somewhat silly to see all the steps animated on the screen, but it does work).
post #13 of 35 Old 01-13-2017, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Great. Thanks!
post #14 of 35 Old 01-13-2017, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked: 887
I have a slightly different setup...
I use a URC MX-450 (I "learned" the HOME key from a cheap LG remote) and a wireless mouse.
Haven't touched the LG Magic Remote for months (which was kind of wonky). I find a "standard" mouse much easier to navigate the screen.

Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR [v1.81], LG 65EF9500 4K OLED [v4.25.70]
5.0.2 set-up: (4) Polk Monitor 10B's, (2) Polk Monitor 4's, Polk CS300 center
B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Pioneer CLD-99 LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD [v1.80]
post #15 of 35 Old 01-13-2017, 11:52 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Greetings
I have a Harmony 700. I programmed my LG OLED65EP, Tivo Bolt and my Pioneer SC-65. I cannot turn any of them on by pushing "watch TV" button. I can turn on each individually on theHarmony, but they will not come on together.

Anyone have a solution or advice?
post #16 of 35 Old 01-14-2017, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 3584 Post(s)
Liked: 3283
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince48 View Post
Greetings
I have a Harmony 700. I programmed my LG OLED65EP, Tivo Bolt and my Pioneer SC-65. I cannot turn any of them on by pushing "watch TV" button. I can turn on each individually on theHarmony, but they will not come on together.

Anyone have a solution or advice?
Did you set up the "watch tv" activity ? That should turn everything on set the correct inputs.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
post #17 of 35 Old 01-14-2017, 02:06 PM

chunon
thanks, but how do you do that? I used this same remote with my Panny Plasma and receiver, but I don't think i ever programmed "watch TV" button.
post #18 of 35 Old 01-14-2017, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
chunon
thanks, but how do you do that? I used this same remote with my Panny Plasma and receiver, but I don't think i ever programmed "watch TV" button.
Go to your "MyHarmony" software and setup an Activity. You have 2 steps to setting up a Harmony remote, the Devices and the Activities, you only did Devices sounds like.
post #19 of 35 Old 01-14-2017, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 3584 Post(s)
Liked: 3283
Quote:
chunon
Use the My Harmony software on your pc, set up the activity the software will ask you questions. Then synch the changes to the remote.

Tim beat me too it

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
post #20 of 35 Old 01-14-2017, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 51
You may find the Harmony remote puts out too many commands to work in the Home screen of the LG, change the "command repeats" to 1 in the software.
post #21 of 35 Old 01-14-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim3320070 View Post
You may find the Harmony remote puts out too many commands to work in the Home screen of the LG, change the "command repeats" to 1 in the software.
thank you BOTH
chunon likes this.
post #22 of 35 Old 03-16-2017, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
Yep. I use Home on my Harmony Elite all the time to get to apps and wot-not, and even managed to construct a totally insane activity to watch apps which can set the LG audio output to optical so I can use my receiver for sound when watching streaming apps. (It looks somewhat silly to see all the steps animated on the screen, but it does work).
So how did you get this to work? Mind sharing your steps?
post #23 of 35 Old 03-17-2017, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 307racing View Post
So how did you get this to work? Mind sharing your steps?
Near the bottom of this web page, I describe how I did it.

http://tomhorsley.com/hardware/oled55b6p/oled55b6p.html

But I have since realized that is too complicated. Instead of initially hitting "Home" and going "Up" a lot, I should just use the button that displays the settings directly (but I haven't taken the time to revise my activity yet).
post #24 of 35 Old 03-18-2017, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I havent used the Harmony since getting the TV, the remote works good with the AVR through HDMI CEC and the apps on the TV are the best versions with full 4k/HDR support. I dont have cable anymore so I dont know if I would use the remote for that.

Its nice finally having an RF remote and not having to aim at the IR sensor
post #25 of 35 Old 03-18-2017, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by idividebyzero View Post
I havent used the Harmony since getting the TV, the remote works good with the AVR through HDMI CEC and the apps on the TV are the best versions with full 4k/HDR support. I dont have cable anymore so I dont know if I would use the remote for that.

Its nice finally having an RF remote and not having to aim at the IR sensor
You may be the first/only person on earth I've ever heard of who got CEC working perfectly

I agree that on-board apps are usually the best, goes for both LG and Samsung TVs I have. But between switching between sources direct to the TV (i.e. 4K sources) and several into the receiver (TiVo, AppleTV, game consoles, etc) I have never once been able to get everything to work. At least one thing always seems to eff everything up.

EDIT: OTOH with my Harmony and Hub (using the 4-split IR repeaters) I *finally* have everything working wonderfully in my primary system.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #26 of 35 Old 03-18-2017, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
Near the bottom of this web page, I describe how I did it.

http://tomhorsley.com/hardware/oled55b6p/oled55b6p.html

But I have since realized that is too complicated. Instead of initially hitting "Home" and going "Up" a lot, I should just use the button that displays the settings directly (but I haven't taken the time to revise my activity yet).
Hi Tom,
I read your instructions for setting up the Harmony Remote.
Please forgive my ignorance, but how can I get to the point that I can set commands?

Why don't you just set "Home"? Why the additional steps (direction up, down, ...)?

Here is my setup for Netflix/Amazon which is "Home" as of right now. But I cannot get to home with this setup. I need to do it manually.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Harmony Setup.jpg
Views:	729
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	2035225  
Musty Hustla likes this.

Last edited by sharok; 03-18-2017 at 05:21 PM.
post #27 of 35 Old 03-19-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharok View Post
Hi Tom,
I read your instructions for setting up the Harmony Remote.
Please forgive my ignorance, but how can I get to the point that I can set commands?

Why don't you just set "Home"? Why the additional steps (direction up, down, ...)?

Here is my setup for Netflix/Amazon which is "Home" as of right now. But I cannot get to home with this setup. I need to do it manually.
When you define an activity, one of the things you can do is add commands to be executed when that activity starts and ends. All the ridiculous commands in my activity are there to change the audio output from "internal TV" to "optical out" (and an equally ridiculous sequence to change it back when I exit the activity). That way I can watch amazon (for instance) with my receiver taking full advantage of whatever audio they use when streaming the show.
post #28 of 35 Old 06-12-2017, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Exclamation

My tv Lg 47LM660s
my receiver digiturk dt 5103hd connected from hdmi3

my commander logitech harmony 650

my problem is hdmi input change not works always need press help button for chose right hdmi input for watch tv i tried many settings but i didnt do it yet

i mean ex my hdmi in hdmi 1 before tv off when i press watch tv buttonn from logitech harmony it must on tv, on receiver and hdmi input must be hdmi3 tv and receiver ok but hdmi input still in hdmi 1 where is the problem
post #29 of 35 Old 03-20-2018, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
I love the convenience of the Harmony Elite as it controls everything in my system and even my thermostat. Pretty cool.

Thread bump: fyi harmony has sport mode toggle which is great. There's also direct access to toggle through each of the picture modes successively

On all my watch activities I've just programmed bottom right button as Picturemode, and long press as sport on/off.
Then a nearby button to pinch through the exit command from the tv.
I can go from any picture mode to any picture mode in more or less three clicks of two buttons.

Regards
post #30 of 35 Old 03-20-2018, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
just wondering if there is any fast way to do a Screen Off with Magic or Logitech remote?

I usually listen to music form youtube and then turn my screen off ( Settings - > Advanced -> Energy Saving -> Screen Off ) which is quite a few clicks to do.

Any way to automate it somehow (I have only magic remote for now)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page