10 Things to Consider When Shopping for a TV - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26Likes

post #31 of 50 Old 11-15-2016, 07:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoManiac64 View Post
But even if your content never contains absolute black, it still has an effect on those tones that are lighter than black.
Are there really?
Quote:
As an example, consider that 3bit color has 8 levels of lumination - 0 through 7 where 0 is pure black and 7 is pure white.
Going on about the ideal versus what compressed HD can deliver is not reasonable. Everything HD video we buy is compressed and crushes three stops or more of black at the low end. This is true even of compressed HDR video to some extent. The people who designed the compression schemes knew that these "perfect blacks" weren't carrying their weight and took significant advantage of it. If the black detail has been squeezed out of the source as a stage in the compression process, the blackest TV isn't going to restore it.

Surely there is great importance in technologies like OLED and FALD that can do a lot to protect dark spots from adjacent bright areas but the dynamic range at the low end is largely academic when it comes to compressed video.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 Old 11-15-2016, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh View Post
Going on about the ideal versus what compressed HD can deliver is not reasonable.
As a gamer and heavy PC user, I beg to differ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh View Post
Everything HD video we buy is compressed and crushes three stops or more of black at the low end
If that was true, then the conclusions at the Value Electronics panel shootouts that OLED has the best near-black detail was all a lie?

And this doesn't change the fact that outer space is supposed to be pure black.
ChaosCloud likes this.

Last edited by NintendoManiac64; 11-15-2016 at 12:11 PM.
post #33 of 50 Old 11-16-2016, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoManiac64 View Post
As a gamer and heavy PC user, I beg to differ.
But are these sources representative of the content that most are viewing on their big screens? I'm betting no.
Quote:
If that was true, then the conclusions at the Value Electronics panel shootouts that OLED has the best near-black detail was all a lie?
Not a lie, just not something you're likely to be talking about with run-of-the-mill HD video content.
Quote:
And this doesn't change the fact that outer space is supposed to be pure black.
If you're outer space is starless, you've got bigger problems than dark blacks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 50 Old 11-16-2016, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4465 Post(s)
Liked: 3913
There is a void between the stars. For example, I wouldn't have watched Dark Matter S2 on anything but an OLED. An accurate representation of those vacuums of light draws you in as much as, if not more so, than the brightness provided by HDR from a roaring fire.
NintendoManiac64 likes this.

Last edited by video_analysis; 11-16-2016 at 05:09 PM.
post #35 of 50 Old 01-10-2017, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 49
That's all very nice for a 16 x 9 TV. All I want is a 21 x 9 with all the same stuff at 65" or 75" with the new 3.0 tuner. How long should I wait?

JJK
post #36 of 50 Old 05-06-2017, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 899 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrummingdude View Post
Good read, but you forgot #11 (after the sale).
11. NEVER throw a giant TV box away in your trash cans/on your curb before cutting it up thoroughly. Better yet, burn it. It may sound silly, but people who throw 65" OLED TV boxes out on the curb with the rest of the garbage are looking to get robbed, no matter how safe they think their neighborhood is.
This should read: Never throw out the box in the first place, especially if you had it shipped.

Something goes wrong and it has to be shipped (or even just transported somewhere locally) it needs the original box AND packing to do it properly! These don't take up that much room since they are flat. I'm sure you can find room somewhere for it..
anwsmh likes this.

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1975. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
post #37 of 50 Old 05-06-2017, 08:56 AM

Something else that should be added towards the top of the list is; Viewing Angle (or lack of with LCD sets).

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1975. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
post #38 of 50 Old 08-31-2017, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1432 Post(s)
Liked: 2504
Thread cleanup. Keep on the topic of the thread.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #39 of 50 Old 12-31-2017, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
10. Budget & Recommendations[/I]
Would like to see yer Recommendations for the 2017-18 TV's-->
Stu Cozza likes this.
post #40 of 50 Old 12-31-2017, 02:01 PM

You will have to wait for the usual 4-6 or more months of speculation here as to what the latest & greatest (so the consumer electronics con artists claim) have to offer.

post #41 of 50 Old 04-27-2018, 11:55 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
User Interface

I'm always interested in the user interface. I have positive and negative experiences with different models. I hate the menu structure and interface of my Samsung. I really like the interface of the two LG's that I own. I also have a Visio and don't have many complaints about the user interface but the remote control is temperamental and frustrating that it misses a lot of button pushes. I suppose I am more critical of the Samsung because of it's PIP feature. The number of button pushes to accomplish anything is ridiculous. To change the sound from one picture to the other takes a minimum of 6 button pushes. I had an early HDTV that took 1 push.
post #42 of 50 Old 04-28-2018, 12:04 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Oled

I was looking at TV's at Best Buy and an employee said the OLED displays have a burn in problem when displaying a static picture for a long period of time. He then proceeded to show me that flaw on one of their LG models. That kind of cooled my excitement for OLED. Can anyone comment on whether this is a potential problem with these displays? I thought we had gotten away from that issue. The tickers they have on news and sports stations could be a problem.
post #43 of 50 Old 04-28-2018, 12:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4465 Post(s)
Liked: 3913
It will always be a potential problem with emissive. Tickers can be a problem (apparently MSNBC dumped theirs, haven't watched to verify for myself). No way would I recommend an OLED if cable "news" at even an hour a day is your intended usage scenario. It's the banners/logos that have been the most damaging, but every year LG is making the TVs more resistant to the majority of usage scenarios.
post #44 of 50 Old 05-01-2018, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 64
One more thing you might want to consider before spending thousands of dollars on a TV:

Manufacturer's Support. If you are spending thousands of dollars for "the best" it is very important.

I bought a 2016 LG OLED 65B6P which received a firmware upgrade last year that raised the blacks and slowed down menu response (there's a ton of posts about this here). Sadly there has not been another firmware upgrade since. There has been new issues with Dolby Vision over HDMI and I've read Dolby released a fix for it and LG is working on new firmware fixes for other sets, but nothing mentioned for the B6P. It would appear that the B6P was made in 2016 and LG dropped their support for it in 2017. I'd expect this if it were a cheap TV but I really expected more when I paid several thousand dollars for my set.

Everyone must make their own decisions but I really don't know if I would trust LG enough to buy another of their top tier TVs because of their lack of support..
post #45 of 50 Old 07-17-2018, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have a Mit 73738 and maybe looking to purchase a new 75". With a budget of $3k, what is the best in the market and is anything better on the horizon?
post #46 of 50 Old 10-31-2019, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 5
i think another great addition to this thread would be 'once you get your new tv home, how best to ensure your screen is ok'

other than a newbie looking to see obvious lines on the tv am i supposed to be looking for anything else? dead pixels? is there a video out there that tests new oleds

newbies need to know

thanks
unome likes this.
post #47 of 50 Old 04-30-2020, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I have a question and I'm not sure where to ask it. I'm looking to buy a large TV for my sister. She's disabled and bed-ridden, so all she does is watch TV. So it's on literally almost all the time. I want to get as good/large a screen as possible (maybe 72-85") that will take long hours being on. I can spend probably $3000 for the TV and a sound bar/system, maybe a little more. I'd maybe like to find a 2019 model because I can probably get a better deal so a better TV for less money. Her room has a lot of light during the day (large south facing window). Suggestions? QLED or OLED or something else? Thanks bunches.
post #48 of 50 Old 05-06-2020, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzycat View Post
I have a question and I'm not sure where to ask it. I'm looking to buy a large TV for my sister. She's disabled and bed-ridden, so all she does is watch TV. So it's on literally almost all the time. I want to get as good/large a screen as possible (maybe 72-85") that will take long hours being on. I can spend probably $3000 for the TV and a sound bar/system, maybe a little more. I'd maybe like to find a 2019 model because I can probably get a better deal so a better TV for less money. Her room has a lot of light during the day (large south facing window). Suggestions? QLED or OLED or something else? Thanks bunches.
Your sister will likely be very happy with a 75” TCL 8 series, which retails for $3000 but is on sale frequently for $2500. Find a good deal on the TV and spend the rest on the sound bar, about which I know very little.

Due to the amount of light coming into the room, and the chance she might leave the TV on all day on a channel with static logo, I would avoid OLED in her use case. They work better as a dark room TV.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by rajendra82; 05-06-2020 at 06:20 AM.
post #49 of 50 Old 05-06-2020, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Just found out the on Friday May 8th, Best Buy will have TCL 8 series 75 inch TV on sale for $1799.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
post #50 of 50 Old 05-11-2020, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
Anyone know if any store is still offering white glove delivery options given the pandemic restrictions?

When you get a larger screen, delivery and then installation to a wall mount requires two men?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
shopping , tvs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page