LG E6 "Picture-On-Glass" what is it worth? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes
  • 1 Post By fafrd
  • 1 Post By tgm1024
  • 4 Post By KevinG
  • 1 Post By tgm1024
  • 1 Post By Stuntman_Mike
  • 1 Post By fafrd
  • 1 Post By ja00
  • 2 Post By Lewis.27
  • 1 Post By ozthegweat

post #1 of 27 Old 12-13-2016, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 59
LG E6 "Picture-On-Glass" what is it worth?

I'm ready to buy a 65" LG OLED.
Either the C6 or the E6 (C6 over B6 because I want the 3D. Curved is okay but flat is better).
I would like the better sound with the E6 but $500 premium just for better sound isn't worth it. The reviews say it has slightly higher brightness - but otherwise same picture as the B6/C6.

However the E6 has "Picture-on-glass". What is that and does it add any value?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 12-13-2016, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked: 1407
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBumkin View Post
Either the C6 or the E6 (C6 over B6 because I want the 3D. Curved is okay but flat is better).
I would like the better sound with the E6 but $500 premium just for better sound isn't worth it. The reviews say it has slightly higher brightness - but otherwise same picture as the B6/C6.

Its certainly an asthetic thing and wont improve the performance. Looks cooler, for sure. Honestly, hunt around HARD for an E6 thats close to the price of the B6 and thats your best bet. Curved is silly, dont go curved just to get 3D. Try Cleveland AV and ask for a quote via e-mail. You'll be suprised at the good price offered and hes a forum sponser with a great reputation. Check other places too. I got Best Buy to do a price match with Office Depot on an E6 that I thought they'd never do but they did.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
LG UBK-90, Samsung UBD-8500K
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #3 of 27 Old 12-13-2016, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4766
Quote:

In terms of your thread title, the answer is 'no'.

If you watch in the dark, the C6 has all the brightness you need (and I doubt there is any consistent deference between the C and the E anyway, but whatever).

You can get a full-blown basic 5.1 surround-sound system for $500 (with subwoofer). Will it be stare-of-the-art? No. But it will sound much better than the E6's built-in system...

I spent a bit more than that (about $700) for a 5.1.2 Atmos system with a modern Matantz AVR (NR1606) and a full set of Infinity bookshelf speakers with 12" Klipsch Subwoofer...

And picture-on-glass is nothing more than taking 'thinness' down to the next extreme.

Instead of of being 1/4" thick and having a silver bezel around the edge, the 'picture-on-glass design amounts to leaving off the bezel and the plastic backing so the the TV is only 1/8" thick and has a clear see-through 1/4" wide glass extension on all 4 sides of the OLED.

Looks fragile (and even slightly dangerous) to me and I was not the least bit interested.

You won't even notice the curve of the C6 after watching for a week or two (especially viewing in the dark).

Attached is a pic of my set-up. Took about a year to put together, but very happy with the outcome (especially for under $4000 all-in including the custom wooden TV stand ).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	4425
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	1828145  
chunon likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 12-14-2016, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for the feedback.
I've read (most people) say the curve is very slight and almost unnoticeable. If that is the case then "curved with 3d" sounds better than "flat without" since both are the same price. Maybe I can go over to BestBuy and see one for myself.

On the speakers - I have a full 7.2 setup now for movies, but to just watch the evening news or such, I don't want to turn on the Denon and all. But I suppose for just watching the news the built in speaks of the B6/C6 are good enough.

Thanks
post #5 of 27 Old 12-14-2016, 06:24 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2589 Post(s)
Liked: 2312
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
And picture-on-glass is nothing more than taking 'thinness' down to the next extreme.
Fafrd, I keep hoping and praying for the thinness goals for TV, tablets, and phones, to simply evaporate, but they never seem to. Phones keep getting thinner, even though it makes everything much much harder to produce and sacrifices battery life, Tablets (same issue), and TVs, well, we've seen no END of nonsense with how thinness gave us edge lighting.

TVs, Phones, and Tablets, are arguably too thin already.

BTW, my reaction to the 1/8th inch thick screen would be the same as yours. No thanks, unless it gets me some other feature.
fafrd likes this.
post #6 of 27 Old 12-14-2016, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:

Attached is a pic of my set-up. Took about a year to put together, but very happy with the outcome (especially for under $4000 all-in including the custom wooden TV stand ).
I'm surprised you were able to include the anti-gravity device for less than $4000.
post #7 of 27 Old 12-14-2016, 06:51 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2589 Post(s)
Liked: 2312
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinG View Post
I'm surprised you were able to include the anti-gravity device for less than $4000.
I figured he just epoxied it to the ceiling.
anthonymoody likes this.
post #8 of 27 Old 12-14-2016, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Quote:
It took me a minute or two.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #9 of 27 Old 12-14-2016, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
I figured he just epoxied it to the ceiling.
I assumed I was just flat-out drunk.

Turns out that that's still true, but it's not the reason I'm seeing an upside-down picture
post #10 of 27 Old 12-14-2016, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 474
Quote:

My advice is to not listen to others that say the curve is slight and see it for yourself in a store and spend a good deal of time with it. View it from all angles, including extreme ones, even if you won't look at it from that angle often. Also, pay attention to straight horizontal lines. After doing all that, make your own mind up.

I was set on the C based off of specs and the opinions of others saying that the curve is not noticeable. It IS slight and definitely less than Samsung's, but it was always noticeable to me. I ended up getting the E and I do not use the TV's speakers.

Nothing wrong with the C. Not trying to steer you away from it. Just saying not everyone will have the exact same tolerance for even the slightest curve. See it for yourself and decide for yourself.
Spock1234 likes this.

post #11 of 27 Old 12-14-2016, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for the feedback.

I went ahead an ordered the OLED65E6 for $3026 from Office Depot.

That price seems to good to be true and too good to pass up on, but it is on backorder for a couple of weeks. If it comes through as advertised ($600 to $800 less than everywhere I've seen) its a great deal. If it doesn't materialize before the Super bowl TV sales start, I'll look elsewhere.
post #12 of 27 Old 12-14-2016, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post
My advice is to not listen to others that say the curve is slight and see it for yourself in a store and spend a good deal of time with it. View it from all angles, including extreme ones, even if you won't look at it from that angle often. Also, pay attention to straight horizontal lines. After doing all that, make your own mind up.
Good advice, and in addition I'd add that if applicable to involve your SO ... I'd almost convinced myself the curve wasn't all that bad, but my wife didn't like it at all, but likes the "on glass" appearance. Also consider the speaker may have more value somewhere down the line when the TV is shuffled off to another room.

Ultimately price/value is a personal decision on a luxury item.
post #13 of 27 Old 12-14-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonW747 View Post
Good advice, and in addition I'd add that if applicable to involve your SO... I'd almost convinced myself the curve wasn't all that bad, but my wife didn't like it at all, but likes the "on glass" appearance. Also consider the speaker may have more value somewhere down the line when the TV is shuffled off to another room.

Ultimately price/value is a personal decision on a luxury item.
That, of course, is very sage advise. I had agreed to upgrade our cheesy Chinese-made TV stand to a much classier Amish-made stand that by chance had a curve built into it. This was when we had the flat 65EF9500.

We'd also already had the curved 55EC9300 OLED in our home before that and so we already knew that no one saw much of any difference between flat or curved when we watch in the dark.

I had a mild preference for flat based on fundamental arguments of geometry and distortion, but honestly, it was not a showstopper for me (and certainly not worth a 50%+ premium).

So we could have gone either way but chose the C because of the 3D. My SO was the opposite of yours and thought the picture on glass design looked stupid while the fact that our new curved TV matches the curve of our new curved Amish TV stand is a fact that escapes no ones attention .

These are fantastic TVs and the fact is you can't go wrong with any of them.
JonW747 likes this.
post #14 of 27 Old 12-14-2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:
I picked up the spanking-new Chromecast Ultra a couple weeks ago and this was an undocumented feature .

You guys crack me up.

Seriously though, if anyone has a clue as to why 10% of the photos I attach to posts come out rotated by 90 or 180 degrees, I'm all ears...
post #15 of 27 Old 12-14-2016, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
I picked up the spanking-new Chromecast Ultra a couple weeks ago and this was an undocumented feature .

You guys crack me up.

Seriously though, if anyone has a clue as to why 10% of the photos I attach to posts come out rotated by 90 or 180 degrees, I'm all ears...
Are you, by chance, holding the camera upside-down 10% of the time?

(your camera probably has a sensor in it that is faulty, is my guess)
post #16 of 27 Old 12-14-2016, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Are you, by chance, holding the camera upside-down 10% of the time?

(your camera probably has a sensor in it that is faulty, is my guess)
That would be a fantastic theory except the photos are all correctly oriented in the 'Photos' folder where I select them.

So it really appears as though the AVS app sometimes rotates them for whatever reason (and not only by 180-degrees, sometimes it is by 90-degrees ).

Guess we'll just have to chalk it up to being one of those little 'ghosts in the machine'...
post #17 of 27 Old 12-14-2016, 01:59 PM

The camera puts a rotation value into the EXIF data, depending on how you hold the camera when taking a photo. Your photo management tool respects this data and displays the images correctly. The uploader here ignores any rotation data and displays the images as they are as a "naked" pixel image.
post #18 of 27 Old 12-14-2016, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 84
65CP owner here, and to be honest I dont even notice the curve at all. Perhaps if you have side seeding it would become more of an issue, but from straight on , its hard to notice. The above advice is correct, check it out for yourself, when spending that kind of money.

Xbox Live- bucknuts07

PSN-bucknuts07

post #19 of 27 Old 12-14-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozthegweat View Post
The camera puts a rotation value into the EXIF data, depending on how you hold the camera when taking a photo. Your photo management tool respects this data and displays the images correctly. The uploader here ignores any rotation data and displays the images as they are as a "naked" pixel image.
Thanks - that sounds like a pretty solid explanation. Is there any easy way to check and adjust rotation prior to posting (such as Microsoft Paint or whatever)?

While I appreciate all of the humor surrounding my anti-gravity device, I think my fellow AVSers would appreciate it if I could make life easier for them .
post #20 of 27 Old 12-14-2016, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Since you already bought the TV, this might be moot... but I did exactly was was suggested above to go to Best Buy (actually Magnolia) and compare the C6 and E6. Although the curve it slight, to me it was noticeable and kind of distracting. I probably would have gotten used to it but if I am paying this much for a TV I don't want to take that chance.

I already have a separate audio system so the soundbar wasn't a consideration for me. However it actually comes in handy for times when the wife and kids just want to watch a TV show or something and don't want to mess around with the receiver.

My point is. I was deciding between the C6 and E6 as well and have absolutely no regrets paying a little more for the E6. I'm sure you will love it as well.
fafrd likes this.
post #21 of 27 Old 12-14-2016, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja00 View Post
Since you already bought the TV, this might be moot... but I did exactly was was suggested above to go to Best Buy (actually Magnolia) and compare the C6 and E6. Although the curve it slight, to me it was noticeable and kind of distracting. I probably would have gotten used to it but if I am paying this much for a TV I don't want to take that chance.

I already have a separate audio system so the soundbar wasn't a consideration for me. However it actually comes in handy for times when the wife and kids just want to watch a TV show or something and don't want to mess around with the receiver.

My point is. I was deciding between the C6 and E6 as well and have absolutely no regrets paying a little more for the E6. I'm sure you will love it as well.
Plus the 3D is just outstanding.
post #22 of 27 Old 12-14-2016, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
Honestly, hunt around HARD for an E6 thats close to the price of the B6 and thats your best bet.

Curved is silly, dont go curved just to get 3D. Try Cleveland AV and ask for a quote via e-mail. You'll be suprised at the good price offered and hes a forum sponser with a great reputation. Check other places too.

I got Best Buy to do a price match with Office Depot on an E6 that I thought they'd never do but they did.

I started out looking for best price to use at BestBuy for price match. Everyone else is selling the 65E6 for $3999. Sears had it for $3699 (but it was sold through a third-party partner which Best Buy won't honor) but being it was Sears I was about to order but kept looking. I saw that Amazon Prime sells it for $3999 too, but also has a Vendor listed selling for $3279 (third-party seller) but I don't want to buy from an unknown vendor (and maybe deal with shipping it back). So I came across the ad at Office Depot. I figured this has to be a mistake. They are selling the E6 for less than the usual price of a B6 or C6. I used the Chat feature to speak with Office Depot customer service to confirm that they would honor the price (once the TV is back in stock) and that it is not a refurbished unit (BTW - BestBuy won't price match an item that is out of stock).
I feel can trust Office Depot, they are a "brick & mortar" store. I don't get charged until the unit ships and I can cancel at any time. It sure sounds like the typo error with the price or model number but they said it is good and will be honored. http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...3D-2160p-OLED/
post #23 of 27 Old 12-14-2016, 03:32 PM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 149
If you are not opposed to buying online check out the deal thread. I got mine through Beach Camera for a great price. Others have bought it from CP, ABT, etc as well as B&Ms like Microcenter for a very good price. If you can wait for Office Depot, that is a great price as well.
post #24 of 27 Old 12-14-2016, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'll second what others say : the curve on the C6P is hardly noticeable, and that's only after 5 days owning it.
chunon and fafrd like this.
post #25 of 27 Old 12-14-2016, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked: 1407
Quote:
I started out looking for best price to use at BestBuy for price match. Everyone else is selling the 65E6 for $3999. Sears had it for $3699 (but it was sold through a third-party partner which Best Buy won't honor) but being it was Sears I was about to order but kept looking. I saw that Amazon Prime sells it for $3999 too, but also has a Vendor listed selling for $3279 (third-party seller) but I don't want to buy from an unknown vendor (and maybe deal with shipping it back). So I came across the ad at Office Depot. I figured this has to be a mistake. They are selling the E6 for less than the usual price of a B6 or C6. I used the Chat feature to speak with Office Depot customer service to confirm that they would honor the price (once the TV is back in stock) and that it is not a refurbished unit (BTW - BestBuy won't price match an item that is out of stock).
I feel can trust Office Depot, they are a "brick & mortar" store. I don't get charged until the unit ships and I can cancel at any time. It sure sounds like the typo error with the price or model number but they said it is good and will be honored. http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...3D-2160p-OLED/
Yep, my local BB reluctantly matched it so I feel I got an early Christmas gift. Crazy....happy it worked out for ya.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
LG UBK-90, Samsung UBD-8500K
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #26 of 27 Old 12-15-2016, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Thanks - that sounds like a pretty solid explanation. Is there any easy way to check and adjust rotation prior to posting (such as Microsoft Paint or whatever)?

While I appreciate all of the humor surrounding my anti-gravity device, I think my fellow AVSers would appreciate it if I could make life easier for them .
Sorry, Mac user here. I don't know which tools on Windows ignore EXIF data so you can try it out... perhaps try dragging the picture into an Internet Explorer tab and see if it's rotated correctly?
Could also be that the "Save As…" function of your photo management tool applies the rotation into the pixel data.
fafrd likes this.
post #27 of 27 Old 06-15-2019, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question

Does "Picture-On-Glass" not offer a more robust surface?
This would be possible with real glass. As in the past CRT, also made of glass.
If you threw a Wii / VR controller into it (or collision), it was not necessarily broken. An LCD surely. Is there a difference between LCD and normal OLED in this regard?
A windowpane is thin but much sturdier than a modern flat screen TV.
Whether it's 3mm or 5mm or 6mm I would not care.
A more rugged TV surface would be a real advantage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page