Super happy with my new OLED 4K HDR. Very disappointed in the lack of content. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 19Likes

post #1 of 52 Old 12-17-2016, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Super happy with my new OLED 4K HDR. Very disappointed in the lack of content.

My new 65" C6 is amazing. Extremely happy with my purchase. PQ is amazing. I must say though that I am not happy in the lack of 4K streaming content especially HDR which is virtually non existent apart from a few mediocre netflix and Amazon titles. When I got my first 1080p tv and blu ray players first came out I really enjoyed renting blu ray titles from netflix. Netflix, redbox etc. don't have any 4K titles for rent yet. It seems like the rental/ppv industry is all headed towards streaming. Are we a long way from readily available titles in 4K? I am not interested in buying 4K discs since I don't collect and I only watch movies once.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 12-17-2016, 11:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 5403 Post(s)
Liked: 3824
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiro77 View Post
My new 65" C6 is amazing. Extremely happy with my purchase. PQ is amazing. I must say though that I am not happy in the lack of 4K streaming content especially HDR which is virtually non existent apart from a few mediocre netflix and Amazon titles. When I got my first 1080p tv and blu ray players first came out I really enjoyed renting blu ray titles from netflix. Netflix, redbox etc. don't have any 4K titles for rent yet. It seems like the rental/ppv industry is all headed towards streaming. Are we a long way from readily available titles in 4K? I am not interested in buying 4K discs since I don't collect and I only watch movies once.
Have you tried 3D blu ray rental? They rent UHD movies. $6.99 a month will get you 2 movies delivered per month.

http://www.store-3d-blurayrental.com
zmarty likes this.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
post #3 of 52 Old 12-17-2016, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Have you tried 3D blu ray rental? They rent UHD movies. $6.99 a month will get you 2 movies delivered per month.

http://www.store-3d-blurayrental.com
I did try that service and most good titles are on "short wait" which is anything but short. I wish there were more bigger services that had 4K rentals in stock.
rossi46 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 Old 12-18-2016, 01:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 5403 Post(s)
Liked: 3824
Quote:
I did try that service and most good titles are on "short wait" which is anything but short. I wish there were more bigger services that had 4K rentals in stock.
I doubt you are going to find many places that will rent UHD discs. It will be years before Redbox will offer that. Took them years before they started renting blu ray, and the vast majority of those that rent from Redbox, select the dvd version over blu ray.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
post #5 of 52 Old 12-18-2016, 01:19 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
When I got my first 1080p tv and blu ray players first came out I really enjoyed renting blu ray titles from netflix. Netflix, redbox etc. don't have any 4K titles for rent yet.
If you were using those services at the time you got your first 1080p TV, then what you're missing is that you were late to the Blu-ray party.

Welcome to the world of being an early adopter this time around. It requires patience and being willing to suck it up when you barely miss out on incremental improvements offered as technologies go more mainstream.
Quote:
It seems like the rental/ppv industry is all headed towards streaming.
More accurately, streaming killed the video rental/movie pay-per-view industry, but yes. Disposable consumption will probably stick to streaming, and the differentiation factor is high bitrate 4K/HDR content for optical media--too much data to stream easily for most customers and the only reason to "upsell" to a per-title purchase. That's basically how it's going to settle down, and eventually the rental services will carry more stock and the studios will release more titles.

Unlike past format changes, though, not every past movie can be re-released in 4K. Many films, especially those with many effects shots, were barely able to make the jump to HD. With 4K (and doubly so for 4K HDR), it's going to take a lot longer to amass a large library of titles and it'll mainly be new releases.
tanis38 likes this.
post #6 of 52 Old 12-18-2016, 02:27 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 19
4k is overrated anyway so you are not missing much

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
post #7 of 52 Old 12-18-2016, 02:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 36
So, basically the 4K OLED TV I'm about to buy won't be useful for 4K until it's already dead (my current plasma only lasted 3 years)? Sort of like 3D, which I never invested in and now appears dead? If you don't subscribe to any streaming services, how many disks in 4K are there?

Now, I'm going to buy the OLED TV anyway, as it seems to be a better technology than LED/LCD. But I don't expect to have 4K content for a while, especially since I'd have to buy a UHD player, and why buy a player unless there's content we want to watch? Heck, for kids movies, I buy the bluray/DVD set and watch the DVD. The Bluray is so much slower on my machine and really the sound and picture qualities are minimal on a smaller screen and a system with two speakers. (When I had my 100 inch screen and 5 channels and dedicated room, that was a different story; now we watch a 51" plasma in a bright room with two speakers.)

Bob
post #8 of 52 Old 12-18-2016, 02:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4298 Post(s)
Liked: 3724
Domestically, there are 100 UHD discs available so far: http://www.blu-raystats.com/Stats/Stats.php

Even on a 65" screen, DVD is out of the question for me when there are better options available, and I would recommend upgrading your Blu-ray player if the waiting times are bad enough for you to complain about. It must be fairly ancient?
post #9 of 52 Old 12-18-2016, 02:57 AM

@ctviggen , if your TV dies after three years, there's something majorly wrong. I also have no interest in 3D (or the new fad, HFR), but 4K/HDR is indeed worthwhile with the right content.

There's not much of it right now (and zero if you're not subscribing to a streaming service or buying a UHD player), but it's night and day different from DVD quality video, which you're not going to want to suffer through at 4K. A DVD has just 4% of the pixel count of a UHD TV. At the very least, buy a decent Blu-ray player with the new TV so that you actually get to use at least half of its capabilities.
post #10 of 52 Old 12-18-2016, 03:01 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebna View Post
4k is overrated anyway so you are not missing much

If you feel it's overrated then you are doing it all wrong. Everything from wcg to hdr to the added pixels is a step up from 1080p and worth every penny.
Stanton, C44 and arftech like this.

Marantz SR6010 Onkyo 636 Onkyo NR801
Epson 3700 Sammy 55JS7000 Sammy K8500 Toshiba HD DVD Sony UBP-X800
Fusion F15's (LCR) Fusion 8's (SS) -JBL Studio Monitor 4406 - SVS SB1000 >BIC F12 Sub
TruAudio Revolve 8" - atmos
post #11 of 52 Old 12-18-2016, 03:33 AM

I watch on LG C6 65" using UB900. At my viewing distance 3.5m there is no difference between 4k and 1080p so that is resolution gone from the hype. HDR is difficult to configure this way that its effects are making bigger difference and at the same time are not giving he headaches and make my eyes bleed. Wide gamut part of HDR is a bonus but it is not massive and also stupid UB900 because of its current poor implementation converts 8bit material to 12bit causing colour banding Lol.

In general passive 3d on 4k panel makes far bigger impression and it's much more immersive then 4k

Last edited by sebna; 12-18-2016 at 03:36 AM.
post #12 of 52 Old 12-18-2016, 03:40 AM

I watch on LG C6 65" using UB900. At my viewing distance 3.5m there is no difference between 4k and 1080p so that is resolution gone from the hype. HDR is difficult to configure this way that its effects are making bigger difference and at the same time are not giving he headaches and make my eyes bleed. Wide gamut part of HDR is a bonus but it is not massive and also stupid UB900 because of its current poor implementation converts 8bit material to 12bit causing colour banding Lol.

In general passive 3d on 4k panel makes far bigger impression and it's much more immersive then 4k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic teletubby View Post
If you feel it's overrated then you are doing it all wrong. Everything from wcg to hdr to the added pixels is a step up from 1080p and worth every penny.

post #13 of 52 Old 12-18-2016, 03:40 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:

If the tv makes your eye's bleed I'll give you $500 just to take it off your hands.

Marantz SR6010 Onkyo 636 Onkyo NR801
Epson 3700 Sammy 55JS7000 Sammy K8500 Toshiba HD DVD Sony UBP-X800
Fusion F15's (LCR) Fusion 8's (SS) -JBL Studio Monitor 4406 - SVS SB1000 >BIC F12 Sub
TruAudio Revolve 8" - atmos
post #14 of 52 Old 12-19-2016, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1486 Post(s)
Liked: 1481
I would of said this also at the beginning of this year but at current time there are quite an abundance of UHD movies. The problem is that most of them are in streaming services which require you to pay but I agree on the HDR content. But like anything new, it will come, specially now all high end sets come with HDR now.

Luckily for me, I can rent 4K movies anytime I want ( small video store) they sure are a dying breed. But we really still enjoy and rent movies and if they are really good I will buy it. Disc quality is top notch the best you can get. We are also lucky enough to have the first Optik cable to provide 4K channels in our region. I will upgrade next year to that also.

Media room- 65" Panasonic FZ950 OLED, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Panasonic UBD-820 4K, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC,Klipsch Reference R-62II,Rc52II,PS4
Gaming room -Panasonic ST60, PS3, Wii
post #15 of 52 Old 12-19-2016, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post
I would of said this also at the beginning of this year but at current time there are quite an abundance of UHD movies. The problem is that most of them are in streaming services which require you to pay but I agree on the HDR content. But like anything new, it will come, specially now all high end sets come with HDR now.

Luckily for me, I can rent 4K movies anytime I want ( small video store) they sure are a dying breed. But we really still enjoy and rent movies and if they are really good I will buy it. Disc quality is top notch the best you can get. We are also lucky enough to have the first Optik cable to provide 4K channels in our region. I will upgrade next year to that also.
Is there any particular streaming service that has the most UHD movies?
post #16 of 52 Old 12-19-2016, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked: 2087
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo3 View Post
Is there any particular streaming service that has the most UHD movies?
Google Play Movies has the most right now. But they are UHD without HDR at the moment. And it requires a Chromecast Ultra. Vudu has the most with HDR (Dolby Vision) and is available on most TV's and devices.
post #17 of 52 Old 12-19-2016, 11:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
the lack of 4K streaming content especially HDR which is virtually non existent apart from a few mediocre netflix and Amazon titles.
...so I'm guessing you aren't a fan of The Grand Tour?
post #18 of 52 Old 12-20-2016, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 594
If you can't find 4K HDR content...you're doing it wrong. I'm actually pretty dang happy about the amount of 4K HDR content, since it's been less than a year since the first 4K player was released, and programs are being added to streaming services all the time. It's against the rules for early adopters to bitch about content anyway...didn't you get the memo?

Here is a list from https://www.avsforum.com/forum/465-hi...ted-often.html

Kudos to ray0414 for keeping it up to date.

Available NOW:

I've added a red * in front of movies i find to be reference/top 10 quality, in either resolution, HDR, or BOTH. These movies IMO are a great starting point in building a 4k UHD collection!!

Mechanic:
The Secret Life of Pets dec. 6th
War Dogs
Sausage Party
Star Trek Beyond Dolby Atmos
The Hunger Games Dolby Atmos
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire Dolby Atmos
*Hunger Games: mockingjay part 1 Dolby Atmos
*Hunger Games Mockingjay part 2 Dolby Atmos
Goodfellas
The Divinci Code Dolby Atmos
Divinci Code: Angels and Demons Dolby Atmos
Independence Day: Resurgence Dolby Atmos
*Xmen: Apocalypse Dolby Atmos
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon Dolby Atmos
Warcraft Dolby Atmos vudu
Jupiter Ascending
*The Great Gatsby vudu
Legend of Tarzan Dolby Atmos vudu
*Ghostbusters: Answer the Call 2016
Ice Age: collision course Dolby Atmos
Central Intelligence
Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates
*The Shallows Dolby Atmos
*Pacific Rim Dolby Atmos vudu
Everest Dolby Atmos vudu
Jupiter Ascending Dolby Atmos vudu
*The Great Gatsby
X-Men: 1st class
*Xmen: Apocalypse
Labyrinth Dolby Atmos
*Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: out of the shadows Dolby Atmos
Now you see Me 2 Now you See Me Part 2 Dolby Atmos
Angry Birds (4k+3D)
Snowwhite and the Huntsman VUDU Dolby Atmos
The Huntsman: Winter's War VUDU Dolby Atmos
*Lucy (august 9th) Dolby Atmos VUDU
Oblivion (august 9th) Dolby Atmos VUDU
Lone Survivor DTS:X VUDU
Criminal
*Batman Vs Superman: Dawn of Justice Ultimate Cut, rated R Dolby Atmos VUDU
*Man of Steel Dolby Atmos VUDU
Watchmen: Ultimate Cut (july 19th) VUDU
*Divergent Series: Allegiant Dolby Atmos
Divergent DTS:X
Divergent: Insurgent Dolby Atmos
*Eddie The Eagle Dolby Atmos
Star Trek (2009) june 14th Dolby Atmos
*Star Trek: Into Darkness IMAX edition (2013) june 14th Dolby Atmos
Ghostbusters 2 Dolby Atmos
Now you see me Dolby Atmos
Creed VUDU
Independence Day 20th Anniversary Edition DTS:X
Point Break VUDU
In the Heart Of the Sea Dolby Atmos VUDU
The Martian: Extended Cut Dolby Atmos
*Gods of Egypt DTS:X
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies Dolby Atmos
*Risen NEW Dolby Atmos
*Deadpool NEW Dolby Atmos
Joy
The 5th Wave Dolby Atmos
*The Revenant
Concussion Dolby Atmos ULTRA
*Expendables 3 Dolby Atmos
Enders Game Dolby Atmos
*Sicario Dolby Atmos
The Last Witch Hunter DTS:X
San Andreas Dolby Atmos VUDU
*Mad Max Dolby Atmos VUDU
The Lego Movie VUDU
Pan Dolby Atmos VUDU
Wild
The Maze Runner
Xmen: Days of future past
Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials
The Martian
*Life of Pi
*Kingsman: The Secret Service
Exodus: Gods and Kings
Hitman: Agent 47
Fantastic 4
The Peanuts Movie Dolby Atmos
The Amazing Spiderman 2 Dolby Atmos ULTRA
*Chappie Dolby Atmos ULTRA
Salt Dolby Atmos ULTRA
Pineapple Express Dolby Atmos ULTRA
*Smurfs 2 Dolby Atmos ULTRA
Hancock Dolby Atmos ULTRA

IMAX/Documentaries:

Available NOW:

*FLIGHT OF THE BUTTERFLIES [B]NEW
*ROCKY MOUNTAIN EXPRESS [B]NEW
4k Night View Tokyo
*Journey to Space
HUMPBACK WHALES (narrated by Ewan McGregor),
WONDERS OF THE ARCTIC (narrated by Victor Garber)
THE LAST REEF: CITIES BENEATH THE SEA.

Amazon Prime Video

TV SHOWS see post #2 for how to find the HDR material on amazon

All amazon is hdr10, some also are dolby vision, which are noted.

- The Grand Tour (1 episode added every Friday) NEW
--Red Oaks season 2
- Good Girls Revolt (8 episodes)
- Goliath (8 episodes)
- One Mississippi (6 episodes)
- Transparent season 3
- Fleabag
- Jean-Claud Van-Johnson (pilot, 1 episode)
- I love Dick (pilot, 1 episode)
- The Tick (pilot, 1 episode)
- The Last Tycoon (pilot, 1 episode)
- The Interestings (pilot, 1 episode)
- Bosche Season 2 (10 episodes) HDR10&DolbyVision
- Mad Dogs (10 episodes)
- Mozart In The Jungle Season 1 and 2 (10 episodes each season)
- The Man in The High Castle (10 episodes)
- Red Oaks (10 episodes)
- Bosch (10 episodes) HDR10 only
- Mozart in the Jungle (10 episodes)
- Z: The Beginning of Everything (1 pilot) (HDR pilot removed, show resigned for full season coming later)
- Highston (1 pilot)(HDR pilot removed, show resigned for full season coming later)
- Patriot (1 pilot)(HDR pilot removed, show resigned for full season coming later)
- Sneaky Pete (currently 1 4k SDR pilot, has been renewed and a full season in HDR to be released in summer)

MOVIES

(As of late June 2016, some movies are now in Dolby Vision in addition ti hdr10, which requires a Dolby Vision tv)

- Hotel Transylvania NEW
- The Walk NEW
- The Night Before NEW
- The
- Chi-Raq
-The Living Sea
-Dolphins
-Coral Reef Adventure
- Van Gogh: Brush with Genius
- Hancock (DV)
- Elysium (DV)
- Fury (DV)
- Men in Black 3 (DV)
- Pineapple Express (DV)
- After Earth ( DV )
- Salt (DV)
- The Amazing Spiderman 2 (DV)
- Smurfs 2 (DV)

VUDU (Dolby Vision only for right now, Vizio R, Vizio P, LG 2016 tvs)

*if you have a roku 4 or any vizio built in app, these titles are available to all brands in regular UHD with 10 bit color and dolby atmos

*it appears that dolby atmos sound has been added to a bunch of titles, check the info on the website to make sure which ones have it.

- Lights out
- Star Trek Beyond
- The Legend of Tarzan
- Central Intelligence
- Central Intelligence UNRATED
- Me Before You
- If I Stay
- The Nice Guys
- Oblivion
- Lucy.
- Everest
- Lone Survivor
- The Huntsman: Winters War
- Creed
- Shun (3 minute demo, FREE)
- The Flesh of Lovers (3 minute demo, FREE)
- Hidden (3 minute demo, FREE)
- Breath (3 minute demo, FREE)
- Hidden (3 minute demo, FREE)
- Keanu
- Batman vs superman (extended and theatrical cut)
- How to be Single
- Watchmen: Ultimate Cut
- Point Break
- The Intern
- Annabelle
- In the Heart of the Sea
- Pacific Rim
- The Conjuring
- Our Brand Is Crisis
- Black Mass
- Pan
- We are your friends
- Entourage
- Goodfellas
- Man of Steel
- Edge of Tomorrow
- The Lego Movie
- Jupiter Ascending
- Magic Mike XXL
- Sherlock Holmes
- Sherlock Holmes 2
- San Andreas
- Focus
- The Great Gatsby
- Run All Night
- Into the Storm
- Mad Max: Fury Road
- The Man From U.N.C.L.E.
- The Gallows
- American Sniper
- Get Hard
- Hangover 1
- Hangover 2
- Hangover 3
- Vacation
- Hot Pursuit

NETFLIX Dolby Vision and HDR10

AVAILABLE NOW: check your device compatibility

- Hibana Spark
- Chefs Table France
- Marco Polo season 1 DV/HDR10
- The Do-Over HDR10 and DV
- The Ridiculous 6 DV/hdr10
- Marco Polo season 2 DV/hdr10
- Marco Polo: one hundred eyes dv/hdr10

Announced/Coming Soon:

DareDevil Season 2
A Series of Unfortunate Events
Bloodline
Knights of Sidonia
Marvel’s Iron Fist
Marvel’s Jessica Jones
Marvel’s Luke Cage
Marvel’s The Defenders
clientnumber9 and dr0z77 like this.

LG OLED65E6P - Sony 85X900F - Marantz SR7013 - Rotel 1075 - Oppo UDP-203 - Panasonic UB820 - Roku Ultra - B&W 704, HTM7, CWM663, RSL C34E, GE SuperSub X - Vincent PHO-700 - VPI Traveler
My Theater
x43x.com
post #19 of 52 Old 12-21-2016, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Good read

I'm trying not to be an early adopter and this thread helped. To expensive and not much content (especially if your a renter vs buyer) I think my late model panny plasma and epson PJ will do fine for a couple of years

Last edited by mcpfrid; 12-21-2016 at 07:52 PM.
post #20 of 52 Old 12-21-2016, 10:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked: 456
If you care at all about gaming, remember that PCs can render nearly any sanely-programmed polygonal 3D game in 4k.

And if you can't render and/or output at 4k for some reason, don't forget that 2560x1440 is always an option as well.
post #21 of 52 Old 12-22-2016, 06:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Quote:
That is the main reason i am keeping my 60vt60 for a few more years. There is just nothing to see to make it worth while to change displays.

Sony 65" A1E Pioneer Elite DV-59 AVI
OPPO203,103&83 Sony BD player
Pioneer Elite SC61 AVR Acurus 200x 3
Paradigm 60V5'S 490 CC V5
B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs
post #22 of 52 Old 12-22-2016, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked: 1430
There is content but two things come into play:

1) If the movie is not interesting to you then it could be in 8K and you wouldnt watch it or buy it anyway.
2) Not every 4K transfer is that much of an upgrade over the blu-ray version.

For item #2 - Star Trek Beyond is a good example of this where the 4K release is just a "redone/rescaled" example of the 2K version. Its NOT reference and every review seems to say so. In this case, Id just buy the blu-ray and save the money. There are other titles like this too where the 4K isnt such a big deal. Of course, some of the titles are mind blowing and totally worth the upcharge.

Its the same for 3D - I have to at least like the movie or documentary before Id spend money on it. So far though, the 3D has been MORE entertaining than the 4K has been. That will likelly change but its fair to say that when factoring in my #1 and #2 items there really isnt THAT much content out there. Yet. IMO.

Buying something just because its 4K is silly and wasteful to me.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
LG UBK-90, Samsung UBD-8500K
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #23 of 52 Old 12-22-2016, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Yeah, Bluray can be amazing. I just watched all the Star Wars movies using my Oppo 83se and it had me sitting on the edge of the couch the first half of episode 4 it was so good. My Xbox 360 looks pretty darn good too, so much so I question my PS4 purchase. OTA and streamed stuff looks great too, so even without a 4k source I feel my OLED B6 to be worth it as it is all around the best TV I have ever had.
vince48 likes this.
post #24 of 52 Old 12-23-2016, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 36
If you think the lack of 4k content is bad in the USA try living in Canada. I returned my B6 because there is a tiny amount of content available. All we really have is 4k Blurays that you can't rent and Netflix (But not everything available in the USA). Seriously, the entertainment industry more or less encourages piracy here. We can't even buy the content we want!

EDIT: The upscaling on the B6 isn't as good as the upscaling on my Benq W5000 projector that is now almost 10 years old.
post #25 of 52 Old 12-23-2016, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
I watch on LG C6 65" using UB900. At my viewing distance 3.5m there is no difference between 4k and 1080p
If you can't tell the diff between 1080P content and 4K UHD BluRay, you need to get your eyes checked . 4K is sharper and appears much more "life-like" then 1080P content which appears flat and filmed.
post #26 of 52 Old 12-23-2016, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgeHammer View Post
If you can't tell the diff between 1080P content and 4K UHD BluRay, you need to get your eyes checked . 4K is sharper and appears much more "life-like" then 1080P content which appears flat and filmed.
He said from his distance of 3.5 meters. (11.5 feet)

Even with 20/20 vision, his eyes wouldn't resolve the difference from that distance.
matticus008 and Shniks like this.
post #27 of 52 Old 12-23-2016, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinG View Post
He said from his distance of 3.5 meters. (11.5 feet)

Even with 20/20 vision, his eyes wouldn't resolve the difference from that distance.
*shrug* I can see the diff plain as day. Can I see every blackhead on the actors face? Of course not. Can I see an overall sharper picture that is more life-like and has more visual pop? Hell yeah...
post #28 of 52 Old 12-23-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
*shrug* I can see the diff plain as day. Can I see every blackhead on the actors face? Of course not. Can I see an overall sharper picture that is more life-like and has more visual pop? Hell yeah...
You can see a visual difference between a UHD file and an HD file. But you can't see a resolution difference in the scenario you chose to criticize. "Flat", "lifelike", "visual pop" are all meaningless when you're talking strictly about resolution.

No human with even 20/15 vision, let alone 20/20 as is generally assumed (and already better than the average adult) can tell the difference between an image at 3840x2160 and an identical image at 1920x1080 at a size of 65 inches from a distance of over 11 feet.

UHD TVs include a lot of other benefits beyond the resolution that are worthwhile, and that's what you're seeing. Not the extra pixels.
Shniks likes this.
post #29 of 52 Old 12-23-2016, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matticus008 View Post
You can see a visual difference between a UHD file and an HD file. But you can't see a resolution difference in the scenario you chose to criticize. "Flat", "lifelike", "visual pop" are all meaningless when you're talking strictly about resolution.

No human with even 20/15 vision, let alone 20/20 as is generally assumed (and already better than the average adult) can tell the difference between an image at 3840x2160 and an identical image at 1920x1080 at a size of 65 inches from a distance of over 11 feet.

UHD TVs include a lot of other benefits beyond the resolution that are worthwhile, and that's what you're seeing. Not the extra pixels.
Awesome. I don't count pixels when I watch TV . Besides, he said he couldn't see any diff between 1080P content and 4K content. Your argument that its the TV is moot since he's watching both on the same TV. Regardless, I can still see a huge diff between 1080p content and 4K content on the same TV. That's what I was talking about.
post #30 of 52 Old 12-23-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Awesome. I don't count pixels when I watch TV . Besides, he said he couldn't see any diff between 1080P content and 4K content.
No, he said, "At my viewing distance 3.5m there is no difference between 4k and 1080p", referring to resolution. You just misunderstood.
Quote:
Your argument that its the TV is moot since he's watching both on the same TV.
I didn't say it was the TV.
Quote:
Regardless, I can still see a huge diff between 1080p content and 4K content on the same TV. That's what I was talking about.
On a 65" TV at 11 feet, you cannot. It's physically impossible.

The difference you're seeing doesn't have anything to do with being 4K. It's better because of changes in encoding technologies, deeper color information, higher bitrates, and more careful mastering. You can see those things, and you would say the exact same thing if your TV downscaled the 4K picture to 1080p.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page