Place your bets on whether the B6 will get HDR game mode or not - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 Old 12-29-2016, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Dick Emery's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 515
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Place your bets on whether the B6 will get HDR game mode or not

Right now it's not looking promising. The other models got it pretty damned quickly after the petition. Now things have quietened down and the press have basically been satiated with the other models getting it there appears to be no pressure on LG to fix it on the B6 models.
Dick Emery is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 54 Old 12-30-2016, 02:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Scott_lb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 485
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Forgive me but I thought LG already issued a statement saying they weren't going to offer a fix for the 2016 models but will include the fix in the new 2017 models? I don't recall my source.
Scott_lb is offline  
post #3 of 54 Old 12-30-2016, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cleveland,Ohio
Posts: 7,046
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2988 Post(s)
Liked: 2832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_lb View Post
Forgive me but I thought LG already issued a statement saying they weren't going to offer a fix for the 2016 models but will include the fix in the new 2017 models? I don't recall my source.
The only display that hasn't got yet the firmware is the B6.I recommend the OP to just wait ,it will be release.

Last edited by losservatore; 12-30-2016 at 05:27 PM.
losservatore is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 54 Old 12-30-2016, 11:31 PM
Member
 
Melterx12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
yeah, its not looking good. i think we need to start another petition.
Melterx12 is offline  
post #5 of 54 Old 12-30-2016, 11:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
airborn007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 87
LG already said no 2016 models will be left behind. But I have to agree that it's taking the B6 much longer than I anticipated.

LG C9 & UB9000
LG C8 & UB820
Denon AVR, SVS Prime Elevation & Ultra Series, HSU Subwoofer, Emotiva

Last edited by airborn007; 12-30-2016 at 11:47 PM.
airborn007 is offline  
post #6 of 54 Old 12-31-2016, 07:26 AM
 
Quebecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,490
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked: 679
Of course it will they officially said so.

Can we just wait, drink a beer, have sex with our significant other (hand included) and enjoy our magnificent TV.
Fete26 likes this.
Quebecker is offline  
post #7 of 54 Old 12-31-2016, 08:30 AM
Member
 
Melterx12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
can someone post a link to where exactly LG officially stated that an update for the B6 specifically is still coming?

Everyone on this forum keeps saying that but I can't find any official statement.
funkahdafi likes this.
Melterx12 is offline  
post #8 of 54 Old 12-31-2016, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bpmurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 4,327
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Hopefully they're improving lag in general along with adding the HDR Game Mode.

65C8P l 65B6P l P55-C1 l Shockwafe Ultra 9.2 & Elite 7.2 l XB1 X l PS4 Pro l Switch
bpmurr is offline  
post #9 of 54 Old 12-31-2016, 10:41 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Minnetrista, MN
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 17
This Forbes article contains a recent update right at the top indicating that a B6 update was still in progress and will be coming at some point.
losservatore likes this.
Nicholas Vit is offline  
post #10 of 54 Old 12-31-2016, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cleveland,Ohio
Posts: 7,046
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2988 Post(s)
Liked: 2832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Vit View Post
This Forbes article contains a recent update right at the top indicating that a B6 update was still in progress and will be coming at some point.

The Dev team is working on the firmware ,The chips on the B aren't from the same manugfacture so they are controlled by a different software.(Firmware)

Last edited by losservatore; 12-31-2016 at 11:01 AM.
losservatore is offline  
post #11 of 54 Old 12-31-2016, 11:24 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Vit View Post
This Forbes article contains a recent update right at the top indicating that a B6 update was still in progress and will be coming at some point.
The update states, "an unofficial LG source has revealed via my good friends at HDTV Test". So it's an unofficial source and word from "good friends". I wouldn't hold my breath, but I hope they do release it for you guys. I'm just glad I switched out my B6 for a C6 so I can have peace of mind.
eXMomoj is offline  
post #12 of 54 Old 12-31-2016, 11:39 AM
 
Quebecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,490
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXMomoj View Post
The update states, "an unofficial LG source has revealed via my good friends at HDTV Test". So it's an unofficial source and word from "good friends". I wouldn't hold my breath, but I hope they do release it for you guys. I'm just glad I switched out my B6 for a C6 so I can have peace of mind.
I think there was a tweet from LG.

Not sure however.
Quebecker is offline  
post #13 of 54 Old 12-31-2016, 11:19 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I have the chance to swap my B6 for a C6, makes me wonder if i should take the plunge haha
Traxtech is offline  
post #14 of 54 Old 01-01-2017, 05:07 AM
Member
 
funkahdafi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 25
So what's this HDR Game Mode anyway? Are you guys saying that if I were to connect a PS4 Pro or XB1 S to my B6 I will be unable to play games in HDR?
funkahdafi is offline  
post #15 of 54 Old 01-01-2017, 05:20 AM
 
Quebecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,490
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkahdafi View Post
So what's this HDR Game Mode anyway? Are you guys saying that if I were to connect a PS4 Pro or XB1 S to my B6 I will be unable to play games in HDR?
You will play then in HDR, but with an higher input lag.

This patch goal is to reduce input lag in HDR.
funkahdafi likes this.
Quebecker is offline  
post #16 of 54 Old 01-01-2017, 10:21 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxtech View Post
I have the chance to swap my B6 for a C6, makes me wonder if i should take the plunge haha
If you don't mind the curve, losing 1 HDMI port, and losing a small bit of peak brightness (due to the 3D filter) then I say go for it. You'll gain an awesome 3D experience, low input lag across the board, and have guaranteed HDR Game Mode in the process. The C6 is my first curved TV and honestly I cannot tell that it is curved 99% of the time that I'm watching anything on it. The curve is subtle, especially compared to Samsung TVs. I always recommend people check it out at a store and see if they can really notice it. Everyone that has watched my C6 never complained about the curve.
eXMomoj is offline  
post #17 of 54 Old 01-01-2017, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 5173
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXMomoj View Post
If you don't mind the curve, losing 1 HDMI port, and losing a small bit of peak brightness (due to the 3D filter) then I say go for it. You'll gain an awesome 3D experience, low input lag across the board, and have guaranteed HDR Game Mode in the process. The C6 is my first curved TV and honestly I cannot tell that it is curved 99% of the time that I'm watching anything on it. The curve is subtle, especially compared to Samsung TVs. I always recommend people check it out at a store and see if they can really notice it. Everyone that has watched my C6 never complained about the curve.
There is absolutely no confirmation that the B6 has higher brightness that the C/E/G6.

There is also no confirmation that the B6 does not have the same 3D filter as the other 2016 OLEDs.

All OLEDs have a polarizing filter to reduce glare/reflections and it is likely that this same anti-glare polarizing filter also provides the interleaved polarization needed to support passive 3D.
fafrd is online now  
post #18 of 54 Old 01-01-2017, 02:50 PM
 
Quebecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,490
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
There is absolutely no confirmation that the B6 has higher brightness that the C/E/G6.

There is also no confirmation that the B6 does not have the same 3D filter as the other 2016 OLEDs.

All OLEDs have a polarizing filter to reduce glare/reflections and it is likely that this same anti-glare polarizing filter also provides the interleaved polarization needed to support passive 3D.
Well on Rtings, the C and E model has the exact same nits output where the B has a consistant 100 nits more up to 25%.

Any other sources comparing models?
Quebecker is offline  
post #19 of 54 Old 01-01-2017, 09:14 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXMomoj View Post
If you don't mind the curve, losing 1 HDMI port, and losing a small bit of peak brightness (due to the 3D filter) then I say go for it. You'll gain an awesome 3D experience, low input lag across the board, and have guaranteed HDR Game Mode in the process. The C6 is my first curved TV and honestly I cannot tell that it is curved 99% of the time that I'm watching anything on it. The curve is subtle, especially compared to Samsung TVs. I always recommend people check it out at a store and see if they can really notice it. Everyone that has watched my C6 never complained about the curve.
The only issue i see is the fact i use interpolation(de blur/ de jutter) for most of my content(when not twitch gaming) because i have become accustom to the 120hz/144hz "look" due to gaming on a PC with a 144hz monitor for the past god knows how many years.

Rtings shows interpolation at over 118ms for the C6 and the B6 has 62ms when doing so so i'm up in the air at the moment

Bah lol

Last edited by Traxtech; 01-02-2017 at 01:24 AM.
Traxtech is offline  
post #20 of 54 Old 01-02-2017, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Dick Emery's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 515
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 138
My issue is I already have the B6 and the (easy) return window ran out on the 24th. So I would have to argue the case to get a return and a swap to the C6. Plus I got the B6 at a greatly reduced cost through price matching which they might not be so eager to offer the C6 at on a straight swap. It will be a struggle now and may cost me considerably more in the long run. All I can do is watch and wait like everyone else.
Dick Emery is offline  
post #21 of 54 Old 01-02-2017, 02:46 AM
Senior Member
 
btdvox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 290
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Emery View Post
My issue is I already have the B6 and the (easy) return window ran out on the 24th. So I would have to argue the case to get a return and a swap to the C6. Plus I got the B6 at a greatly reduced cost through price matching which they might not be so eager to offer the C6 at on a straight swap. It will be a struggle now and may cost me considerably more in the long run. All I can do is watch and wait like everyone else.
The B6 will get the update, there's been conversations from several contacts on different sites including HDTV.co.uk saying so.

A few things to note:
1. As previously mentioned the E6/C6 have a different SoC/chipset, and the B6's chipset also performed roughly 25-30% better than the E6/C6 in regards to HDR input lag time (you can visit several review sites to view this). So I'm not sure if the HDR Game mode on the B6 will reduce lag further or just give us an extra HDR Game mode option apart from the 3 options currently there. The C6/E6 perform better now with the update so I would gander the B6 will at least come on par with those two TV's, if not better (but that's an assumption)

2. It's clear the B6 is the most popular set of the bunch. It would be dumb for LG to leave this alone. I have a B6P and a EC9300 and I can tell you the Curve does make a difference, I loved the curve but it sucked for anyone sitting outside the center seat. More over my 55EC9300 (2nd gen LG OLED from late 2014 FYI) just got an update last month. It continued to get updates throughout the past 2 years and LG really impressed me with how often they updated it (roughly every 3 months the 1st year and every 6 months last year), that's why I bought the 65B6P. I'm not worried and I would bet high that the B6P will get the update as well.

3. If they don't update, then let's pull a petition together, get some facts around how the B6 is much more popular and I'm sure they'll listen (it won't have to come to this anyways.)
btdvox is offline  
post #22 of 54 Old 01-02-2017, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Dick Emery's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 515
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Can we include a tag on petition to fix their motion handling too?
Dick Emery is offline  
post #23 of 54 Old 01-02-2017, 02:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bpmurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 4,327
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Emery View Post
Can we include a tag on petition to fix their motion handling too?
LOL, let's make sure they fix the variable input lag and provide the HDR Game Mode to bring the B series in line with the rest of the 2016 OLED lineup.

65C8P l 65B6P l P55-C1 l Shockwafe Ultra 9.2 & Elite 7.2 l XB1 X l PS4 Pro l Switch
bpmurr is offline  
post #24 of 54 Old 01-03-2017, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Dick Emery's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 515
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Oh yeah and add HLG support and Youtube HDR to that list.
Dick Emery is offline  
post #25 of 54 Old 01-03-2017, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member
 
jtrosky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 996
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Emery View Post
Oh yeah and add HLG support and Youtube HDR to that list.
What's really strange is that the E6 apparently already has YouTube HDR working - but the C6 does not. You'd think that since they use the same chipset, that YouTube HDR would work on both... Kind of strange situation there.

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk
jtrosky is online now  
post #26 of 54 Old 01-03-2017, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cleveland,Ohio
Posts: 7,046
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2988 Post(s)
Liked: 2832
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
What's really strange is that the E6 apparently already has YouTube HDR working - but the C6 does not. You'd think that since they use the same chipset, that YouTube HDR would work on both... Kind of strange situation there.

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk


Who watch movies on youtube? To see few HDR demos?


I ain't mad and I paid much more than what many member on avs paid in November for the B6.


actually for what I paid for the B6 on the summer ,I could buy the E6 and get over $500 cash back. but thats how it is ,I sold my VT60 and needed a Tv asap.

Last edited by losservatore; 01-03-2017 at 09:10 AM.
losservatore is offline  
post #27 of 54 Old 01-03-2017, 09:31 AM
Member
 
ChiWestSider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I was originally under the impression that the only Oled that did HDR was the G6. Are you guys saying that all have been updated to do HDR (from Ultra Blu-Ray's too) except that B series?

Samsung JS9500, Samsung K8500, Nvidia Shield 16gb, Denon AVR-X6200W 7.2.4, Emotiva XPA-1 Gen 2 x2, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 3, Klipsch RF-62 II x2, Klipsch RC-62 II, Klipsch RS-62 II x 2, Klipsch RS-52 II x2, Klipsch RP-140SA x 4, Klipsch R-115SW x2
ChiWestSider is offline  
post #28 of 54 Old 01-03-2017, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cleveland,Ohio
Posts: 7,046
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2988 Post(s)
Liked: 2832
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiWestSider View Post
I was originally under the impression that the only Oled that did HDR was the G6. Are you guys saying that all have been updated to do HDR (from Ultra Blu-Ray's too) except that B series?

They are talking about youtube and lower imput lag for HDR gaming.


The B. do HDR10 on disc ,do dolby vision and HDR10 on streaming.

it will do dolby vision on disc when it becomes available this year.
losservatore is offline  
post #29 of 54 Old 01-03-2017, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 5173
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiWestSider View Post
I was originally under the impression that the only Oled that did HDR was the G6. Are you guys saying that all have been updated to do HDR (from Ultra Blu-Ray's too) except that B series?
All 2016 OLEDs (B/C/E/G6P)?support HDR streaming.

They also support HDR10 through HDMI and should also support Dolby Vision through HDMI, but this remains unproven (no HDMI Dolby Vision sources yet ).
fafrd is online now  
post #30 of 54 Old 01-03-2017, 03:20 PM
Member
 
cjfduke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'd love for the EF9500 series to get this update as well, but I'm not holding my breath.
cjfduke is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off